Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Darryl Jones film campaign
Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: September 23, 2016 03:00

Hi everybody - Just wanted to let you know that we have started an Indiegogo campaign to help fund our documentary about Darryl Jones. Please help out if you can. I think you will enjoy the film and learn a lot. We've already interviewed Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and many others.

Here's a link ...Darryl Jones film campaign link

We will keep you updated and welcome your feedback. Thanks very much!

Re: Darryl Jones film campaign
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2016 03:15

Ya should try and score an interview with Bill Wyman .. that'd be cool ..

ROCKMAN

Date: September 23, 2016 03:46

Would love to... Btw, some of the perks of our campaign include a chance to meet Darryl, have dinner with him, and even jam with him...

Date: September 23, 2016 04:01

...haaa I like it ... "perks" ... William Perks

ROCKMAN

Date: September 23, 2016 04:42

Perfect!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 23, 2016 05:06

Perks always great to have... We all know why, man.

Date: September 23, 2016 16:40

By all accounts Darry is a superlative, extraordinaire, bass player. Technically far better than stones music needs. If Miles Davis hired him....

But not even him can cover all the leaks that Wyman's departure left.

At the present we can hear the Stones accompanied by an excellent bass player. No more, no less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 16:41 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: VoodooAllie ()
Date: September 23, 2016 23:22

Hey Eric - All good wishes on your documentary about Darryl, as well as with your IndieGoGo campaign! I enjoyed meeting you & Karen in Buenos Aires back in February. Thanks for keeping the fans in the loop about this project!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 23:46 by VoodooAllie.

Date: September 24, 2016 03:18

Allie - Thanks very much for your good wishes! And your help!! I will keep you posted... Hope to see you in Vegas!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 24, 2016 04:41

emotionalbarbecue
By all accounts Darry is a superlative, extraordinaire, bass player. Technically far better than stones music needs. If Miles Davis hired him....

At the present we can hear the Stones accompanied by an excellent bass player. No more, no less.

I know it's been discussed to death but, yeah - Wyman is sorely missed. Darryl must be very good if he could play for a jazz great like Miles, but in the Stones he just fills in the required bottom end. Yes, some very tasty runs at times but in concert you feel more than hear him. Wyman actually added musical counterpoint to what the other instruments were doing. Bill doesn't really get enough recognition for being a bassist of incredible taste.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 25, 2016 02:36

Really like the interviews that are in the teaser. Hope it willl be finished in the future. Lot's of succes!

Date: September 25, 2016 03:23

Thanks very much! We are doing more interviews this weekend. Will keep you posted!

Date: September 27, 2016 00:24

Here's a sneak peek from the film... Darryl plays Whole Lotta Love with a group of middle school music students this summer...video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 27, 2016 00:30

Hey that kid's got some wild sounds comin' outta that tiny body ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 27, 2016 02:14

HonkeyTonkFlash
emotionalbarbecue

I know it's been discussed to death but, yeah - Wyman is sorely missed. Darryl must be very good if he could play for a jazz great like Miles, but in the Stones he just fills in the required bottom end. Yes, some very tasty runs at times but in concert you feel more than hear him. Wyman actually added musical counterpoint to what the other instruments were doing. Bill doesn't really get enough recognition for being a bassist of incredible taste.

Daryl is a good player but not nearly as good as Stanley Clarke at playing jazz or switching off to rock and roll-but Bill,he was as badass on that bass as keith,mick,ronnie and brian were on their guitars.

no one could fill Bill Wymans shoes,people who can't hear the difference are casual fans and they probably don't even know it.he would lockdown that rhythm with keith and charlie and sometimes i would literally start laughing to myself at how good it was.-as in wtf did they just do?

Daryl well..like Chuck, he's a nice guy and he shows up on time.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 27, 2016 03:37

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-27 17:29 by Koen.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 28, 2016 09:23

Bill Wyman is the 'Duck' Dunn of England.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 28, 2016 16:55

24FPS

thumbs upthumbs up

and Charlie is the Al Jackson Jr. !

smileys with beer

Date: September 29, 2016 01:30

...and Mick is the .... Oh Shit that's right there's no vocalist in the MG's !!!

ROCKMAN

Date: September 29, 2016 05:02

When I interviewed Keith, he said his favorite bass players are James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, and Willie Dixon

Date: September 29, 2016 05:08

Cant complain about those three ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 29, 2016 05:36

24FPS
In terms of sound or session work? If it's the latter, I would say someone like Herbie Flowers is more of a 'Duck' Dunn than Bill is.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 29, 2016 14:36

On the other hand, one can't blame Darryl for the fact that Bill chose to leave the band. Were you a bassist and the Stones called you: Would you have turned them down?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 29, 2016 15:06

Stoneage
On the other hand, one can't blame Darryl for the fact that Bill chose to leave the band. Were you a bassist and the Stones called you: Would you have turned them down?

Indeed. No one can blame Darryl for taking the offer. What gets to me is that in many cases, in an era where the Stones are taking great pains to recreate their studio arrangements, Darryl doesn't seem to even try to replicate most of Bill's great bass lines. He does a good job at what he does but I miss Bill's style.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: September 29, 2016 16:56

HonkeyTonkFlash
Stoneage

Indeed. No one can blame Darryl for taking the offer. What gets to me is that in many cases, in an era where the Stones are taking great pains to recreate their studio arrangements, Darryl doesn't seem to even try to replicate most of Bill's great bass lines. He does a good job at what he does but I miss Bill's style.

It's probably a matter of principle and integrity for him.

He played more actively, and did stuff I hadn't heard him do before, on HM, btw.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 29, 2016 17:39

[www.youtube.com]

here he is with Waddy

Date: September 29, 2016 18:14

Can't help but think of Willie Weeks, as a fit for the Stones. not to be, however..

Darryl is right for them as well, they got a team player in Darryl. Very much necessary for them, along with musicianship... which is obviously there.

Date: September 29, 2016 18:31

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
Stoneage

It's probably a matter of principle and integrity for him.

He played more actively, and did stuff I hadn't heard him do before, on HM, btw.

yeah I had the same thought, Bard

Darryl played unexpected lines during MR, for one...

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: September 29, 2016 20:18

As much as a Wyman fan as I am, and as much as it frusrates me that the band have never as nicely acknowledged Bill's legacy or musical chops as they do Darryl, I genuinely wish you all the very best with this documentary roundnround.

Date: September 29, 2016 21:28

Thanks, Rollin92. I appreciate the good wishes. Darryl has told me that his favorite song to play with the Stones is Midnight Rambler, because of all the changes and improvisational, unpredictable nature of the song... He follows Keith and goes when he goes...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home