Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: 2000 Man
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 19, 2016 11:01

2000 Man

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: 6th, 21st & 23rd October 1967 (2000 Man version II)
Recording location: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
Producers: The Rolling Stones
Chief engineer: Glyn Johns

First Released: 8th December 1967: The Rolling Stones (LP) ‘Their Satanic Majesties Request’
Label: Decca TXS 103

Line up:

Lead vocals: Mick Jagger
Acoustic guitars: Keith Richards & Brian Jones
Electric guitars: Keith Richards
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Backing vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Organ:
Nicky Hopkins

2000 Man

Well my name is a number, a piece of plastic film
And I grow many flowers in my little window sill

Don't you know I'm the 2000 man?
And my kids they just don't understand me at all

Though my wife still respects me, I really misuse here
I am having an affair with a random computer

Don't you know I'm the 2000 man?
And my kids they just don't understand me at all

Oh Daddy, be proud of your planet
Oh Mommy, be proud of your sun/son

Oh Daddy, is your brain still flashing
Like it did when you were young?
Or did you come down crashing
Seeing all the things you've done?
Oh it's a big put on

And you know who's the 2000 man
And your kids they just won't understand you at all

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-26 11:01 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: 2000 Man (New)
Date: September 19, 2016 11:05

That drum rhythm is very clever. Great track, but some of the outtakes were superiorly performed, imo, especially the guitars.

Love it anyway thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 19, 2016 11:10

Superb song and melody....5/5

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 19, 2016 11:28

Great like the whole Satanic album!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 19, 2016 13:16

A charming, quirky track that reflects the trippy time-travel aesthetic of its cousins on TSMR, with lyrics that cleverly foreshadow our increasing immersion in technology. Nicely produced, too.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-21 03:58 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 19, 2016 13:45

Well here we have the misunderstood father to balance out the drug addicted mother seeking her little helper on the Aftermath album.

The song sounds a bit like a folky throwback that might have been recorded for Between The Buttons, a little bit of the Incredible String Band crossed with Dylan.

But oddly enough, it sounds totally at home here on Their Satanic Majesty's Request, perfectly complementing the general weird vibe of other-worldly displacement and alienation.

It also creates the grounding and slightly comical dynamic between the psychedelic whimsy of In Another Land and the crazy, freaky space ride that is Sing This All Together (See What Happens).

I love the album to bits for all those reasons.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 19, 2016 14:51

No, this song doesn't work for me. While it's by no means as terrible as Gomper or Sing This All Together (See What Happens), it doesn't come close to the 50% of TSMR that I actually like.
It's exactly the sort of song/sound/lyrics/melody that was all over Between The Buttons and here on TSMR that I don't like at all.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 19, 2016 16:50

Excellent song/track, one of my favs. All round aceness!!!

The guitars are all by Keith and a mighty fine job he did too!

Brian, most likely, didn't play on it. I think this is the only track from the album on which he doesn't play.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 19, 2016 16:53

Great song...love Ace Frehley's version too.

Date: September 19, 2016 16:54

His Majesty

Brian, most likely, didn't play on it. I think this is the only track from the album on which he doesn't play.

Some sites credit both Keith and Brian on acoustic, but I'm not sure if that's correct..

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 19, 2016 17:06

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Some sites credit both Keith and Brian on acoustic, but I'm not sure if that's correct..

It definitely sounds like one of Keith's picking ditties - like the ones he's playing in Charlie Is My Darling. But unless someone was in the studio with them it would be hard to know for sure if it was only him. I'm sure the Stones don't remember too much about who played on what.

Date: September 19, 2016 17:08

DandelionPowderman

I think that's wrong...

There's nothing to suggest Brian played acoustic on it, or better to say I have yet to see a quote or any hint from those involved suggesting Brian played acoustic guitar on 2000 Man.

The Satanic Sessions tell us he wasn't there during the recording of the basic backing track. Recorded in sections, Brian isn't on any of them or heard in the studio chatter.

It might be relevant that during the session for The Lantern, on which he plays acoustic for a few takes before moving to hammond organ, we hear that Brian was having problems fretting notes solidly on acoustic guitar.

I haven't sat and played along for quite some time, but perhaps there is only one acoustic on 2000 Man?

We know, thanks to The Satanic Sessions box sets, that the acoustic(s) was overdubbed. During the basic backing track recording Keith played a basic electric part for the first section with full knowledge that it would be replaced. We hear an exchange between Glyn and Keith letting us know this was the case.

The guitars all sound very strong and Keith like. Nothing sounding particularly Brianesque.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-19 17:11 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 19, 2016 18:13

This is one of my absolute favorites. Charlie plays a 3/4 beat over a lovely 4/4 melody, and it works! Love it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-19 18:14 by Tate.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 19, 2016 18:17

keefriff99
Great song...love Ace Frehley's version too.

And they also played it during KISS' MTV Uplugged, another great version! Stones should have done it for Stripped!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 19, 2016 18:25

Excellent, love this song.
Fits in nicely with the pop classics of the mid-60s and what the Beatles (Nowhere Man) and the Kinks and others were doing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2016 18:27

Oddball of a track as is a majority of the album. Other than the nice opening acoustic guitar(s), there's not many redeeming qualities here.
Sounds like something they weren't, and comes off as a mish mash of other bands of the period who were more successful with this style of music.

Date: September 19, 2016 18:50

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I think that's wrong...

There's nothing to suggest Brian played acoustic on it, or better to say I have yet to see a quote or any hint from those involved suggesting Brian played acoustic guitar on 2000 Man.

The Satanic Sessions tell us he wasn't there during the recording of the basic backing track. Recorded in sections, Brian isn't on any of them or heard in the studio chatter.

It might be relevant that during the session for The Lantern, on which he plays acoustic for a few takes before moving to hammond organ, we hear that Brian was having problems fretting notes solidly on acoustic guitar.

I haven't sat and played along for quite some time, but perhaps there is only one acoustic on 2000 Man?

We know, thanks to The Satanic Sessions box sets, that the acoustic(s) was overdubbed. During the basic backing track recording Keith played a basic electric part for the first section with full knowledge that it would be replaced. We hear an exchange between Glyn and Keith letting us know this was the case.

The guitars all sound very strong and Keith like. Nothing sounding particularly Brianesque.

I agree, and it sounds like there is only one acoustic on it.

Date: September 19, 2016 18:54

DandelionPowderman

The intro has puzzled me for years, can't seem to play it just so. angry smiley

Date: September 19, 2016 19:49

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

The intro has puzzled me for years, can't seem to play it just so. angry smiley

Play the D-chord/formation with two fingers only. Add to the melody by using your pinky. Do that for the A-parts as well. It works here smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-19 19:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 19, 2016 22:23

Discovered this song via KISS! I think Ace still plays this in concert?

Date: September 19, 2016 22:40

DandelionPowderman

Play the D-chord/formation with two fingers only. Add to the melody by using your pinky. Do that for the A-parts as well. It works here smiling smiley

Got the essentials, but there's something about little bits of it, the sliding notes on E chord for example, that make we wonder if there are two acoustics for intro.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 19, 2016 22:56

...one of my favourites..great intro..and ending too..!

Date: September 19, 2016 22:59

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Got the essentials, but there's something about little bits of it, the sliding notes on E chord for example, that make we wonder if there are two acoustics for intro.

Yeah, could be. Or two takes spliced or merged, perhaps?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 19, 2016 23:08

They should do it live.

Even as obscure as it is, the part about the kids not understanding would go over great

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 20, 2016 02:34

Jack Oblivian does a punk-fuelled version on his American Slang album ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 20, 2016 03:53

KILLER tune from the inept TSMR! Heavy heavy shit going on with this track.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 20, 2016 12:40

Average tune, imo.
Kiss did a better version on their Dynasty-album in 1979. Back in 1980 I´ve stolen Dynasty on cassette at the local record shop and it was the first time I´ve heard that song. Didn´t get to know the original until the mid-80s. There are songs more interesting on TSMR.

Date: September 20, 2016 12:42

HMS
Average tune, imo.
Kiss did a better version on their Dynasty-album in 1979. Back in 1980 I´ve stolen Dynasty on cassette at the local record shop and it was the first time I´ve heard that song. Didn´t get to know the original until the mid-80s. There are songs more interesting on TSMR.

Did you steal all your cassettes?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 20, 2016 13:31

DandelionPowderman
HMS
Average tune, imo.

Did you steal all your cassettes?

When I was a kid, yes. All my friends did. The record department was a seperated room downstairs and there never was an employee there. You just walked in, stuffed the cassettes in your trousers (summer) or your jacket (winter) and walked out. Nobody ever asked, you just walked out.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 20, 2016 16:54

HMS
Average tune, imo.

Your opinion is not valid, especially the one that thinks that Kiss "did a better version".

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home