Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: Mick & Keith: What happened?
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 17, 2016 03:20

In real life, Mick calls Keith "his partner", which I take to mean business and artistic partner. Think of the Sunshine Boys. They have managed to do a lot better dealing with each other than that, but it's really almost impossible not to pile up resentments in that sort of fifty-odd year relationship, especially when both principals have pretty strong opinions. In fact, it's sort of amazing the space they have often managed to create for each other. Only the English.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 17, 2016 04:36

I think Keith called it when he said it's like a marriage,
and I'm going to stereotype and keep this rated PG13
Mick the chick (Brenda) organized, knows the details, works his tail off
for achievement, high quality
while the man brings home the paycheck what's the big deal
sitting in the chair all weekend watching sports (waiting for Keith)
not seemingly a care why all the picky pick pick
yet no way to meld forgiveness like consistent display love/sex can ease the resentments
So leave me alone I do my bit you do yours keep it going for the greater good
Ah!
But now the kids are all grown/ Rolling Stones are cemented in diamond time
50 year Golden Anniversary no less
Exibitionism, looking back, can you believe, laughs
Yes, I believe it is now all genuine, they have traveled/arrived to this last season.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 17, 2016 10:15

Career wise, they need each other.
The sum of both parts been greater than the individual ones, etc.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: September 17, 2016 12:02

And at the end of the day, they are still together making music and making each and every one of us HAPPY! That is all that matters. No one can expect a 50 relationship (or 20 or 30 for that matter) to be a bed of roses. I, for one, am grateful they can still do it. Enjoy it now for it will one day end.

Cheers!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 17, 2016 18:54

AlmostHearYouSigh
Take a look at the video for Neighbors. Keith's hate for Mick is so obvious. Thanks to this cheaply made video (no retakes-keep the camera rolling) you can see Keith's public contempt started in 1981. Mick became a person Keith can't accept. Telling video - Mick wants to play the part of room-mates and friends and Keith is like f off I don't act.

Your observation is complete fiction. Keith's hate for Mick is so obvious. BUNK. Thanks to this cheaply made video (no retakes-keep the camera rolling) you can see Keith's public contempt started in 1981. BUNK.

Telling video - Mick wants to play the part of room-mates and friends and Keith is like f off I don't act.

Complete total BULLSHIT. What a load of crap you've made up.

Neighbours is a hilarious video. Cheap? It was 1981. It's GREAT. It had more in it than the other 3 TATTOO YOU videos. Keith and Ronnie don't bother to mime at all to the music is almost painfully hilarious. Mick is funny as ever, if not his funniest ever.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 17, 2016 20:03

geordiestone
DandelionPowderman
I think Mick lived with them, Geordie (he was still attending LSOE in the daytime) but he became jealous indeed, when Brian and Keith attempted to become the new Everley Brothers in Edith Grove.

According to Phelge's book.
Yes of course my mistake, but there was a degree of seperation because Brian and Keith became so close while Mick was away during the day.

...oh yeah KR and BJ were so tight KR stole Anita from him..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 17, 2016 21:12

KR had some kind of problem with Brian and Mick being the stars. Me thinks.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 17, 2016 21:30

GasLightStreet
It all started when Mick got married. It took the air out of the brotherhood Keith had for Mick.

Then SOME GIRLS gave Mick a boost and Keith had been busted. Mick got very popular, had the Stones make something totally off the wall with UNDERCOVER and then went off the deep end with the awful triplet of SHE'S THE BOSS, DIRTY WORK and PRIMITIVE COOL.

By the big tours of 1989 and 1990 he determined what they were going to do, sound like and look like because of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It's been that way ever since.

That's it in a nutshell.

Agree the marriage was a big deal. Anita hated Bianca, according to reports, and I remember Mick telling her that she had to get along with Anita because she was like a band member.
I think Keith really bought the hippie bohemian ideal and Bianca definitely didn't fit into that.

Date: September 17, 2016 21:52

wonderboy
GasLightStreet
It all started when Mick got married. It took the air out of the brotherhood Keith had for Mick.

Then SOME GIRLS gave Mick a boost and Keith had been busted. Mick got very popular, had the Stones make something totally off the wall with UNDERCOVER and then went off the deep end with the awful triplet of SHE'S THE BOSS, DIRTY WORK and PRIMITIVE COOL.

By the big tours of 1989 and 1990 he determined what they were going to do, sound like and look like because of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It's been that way ever since.

That's it in a nutshell.

Agree the marriage was a big deal. Anita hated Bianca, according to reports, and I remember Mick telling her that she had to get along with Anita because she was like a band member.
I think Keith really bought the hippie bohemian ideal and Bianca definitely didn't fit into that.
he and anite enjoyed turning people into junkies and maybe keith felt he had some power or influence on Mick in the 70s. Mick was according to jerry hall, smoking heroin. When he started to change into a even more independent star in the early 80s and at the same time -probably - forced Keith to quit heroin before the 1981 tour Keith probably felt betrayed. He probably realized mick, who pissed off Keith by coworking with ry cooder mick taylor billy preston, didnt need keith creatively anymore. I donth think keith likes independent males.

Date: September 17, 2016 21:56

As you can see... front and center.

Date: September 17, 2016 21:58

As it continued...

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 17, 2016 22:24

Rip This
geordiestone
DandelionPowderman
I think Mick lived with them, Geordie (he was still attending LSOE in the daytime) but he became jealous indeed, when Brian and Keith attempted to become the new Everley Brothers in Edith Grove.

Yes of course my mistake, but there was a degree of seperation because Brian and Keith became so close while Mick was away during the day.

Well originally they were really tight until Anita came on the scene.

Date: September 17, 2016 22:29

Then there's this forgettable one...

Date: September 17, 2016 22:43

Rip This
geordiestone
DandelionPowderman

That was six years later. In the meantime, Mick and Keith became best friends.

Date: September 17, 2016 23:53

For a short while and then Keith stsrted to live with Brian and Anita after Linda left him for Jimi and Mick was with Marianne. Speaks volumes.

Date: September 17, 2016 23:56

"My best friend, he shoots water rats" (1969)...

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 17, 2016 23:57

jlowe

It really is amazing how much better the band is than any of its individual members. They are all talented, of course, but their solo efforts have been astonishingly unimpressive for the most part. I don't think the difference is so stark in any other group.

Date: September 18, 2016 00:19

DandelionPowderman
"My best friend, he shoots water rats" (1969)...
yes after Keith finally got Anita until she tried to get Mick. Maybe heroin and Mick realizing the Stones needed Keith not Ry made him smooth things out with Keith. Who knows but it is clear that Mick is the dominant figure in that changing threesome. There is always room for one Möre according to Mick. Keith had a problem with that i think.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 18, 2016 05:39

blivet
jlowe

It really is amazing how much better the band is than any of its individual members. They are all talented, of course, but their solo efforts have been astonishingly unimpressive for the most part. I don't think the difference is so stark in any other group.

Very true. That's why I don't think cover versions of Stones songs have done particularly well, at least compared to the Beatles. The Stones simply had a magical chemistry. Brian was ethereal and sensitive, once he left that element left the band. No one was ever as melodic on guitar as Mick T. And Bill was simply THE bass player for the Stones. Keith doesn't sound as good without the other Stones around him, as evidenced by his solo albums. Mick has had a few interesting solo cuts, but for the most part they are forgettable. The Beatles and the Stones are similar in their unplanned greatness. John, Paul & George all grew up within a stones throw of each other in North England? What are the odds? Brian puts an ad in the paper and it eventually attracts JUST THE RIGHT PEOPLE, including Bill. And both groups had a drummer in mind to complete the act.

Date: September 18, 2016 10:24

thumbs up

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 18, 2016 10:44

They got bored with one another after all those years (who wouldn't) but are so desperate for the fame and money that they cling to what they have. Not particularly complicated. Their public battles are mostly just clever ways of getting PR.

Date: September 18, 2016 11:04

Well, at least Bill and Charlie's friendship seems to have endured all these years.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 18, 2016 13:03

lem motlow
they had a falling out because Mick wanted to be a solo star like Michael Jackson and Keith being the real "rolling stone" of the group wanted to keep the band together and was offended that Mick would play with other musicians in place of the Stones.
Because Keith is so amazingly awesome and such a cool dude he allowed Mick to crawl back to the Stones after his solo career failed so miserably.

Jagger was humbled because his records didn't sell,a couple of them only reaching 2 or 3000 copies and people didn't go to his shows,sometimes only a couple of hundred people showed up.

He redeemed himself by writing the band a letter apoligizing for ever leaving and agreed to never do a solo project again.they've been great friends ever since.

I am almost never among the posters with adequate and exact information to judge everything that has been presented.

To some extent the quoted is a content that I can relate to, though. However, my impression is that Mick's wish to become a solo star had some important antecedents. One is that the Stones had succeded in renewing their fan base on earlier occasions, but in the early '80s there was a new challenge. Another is that especially Mick was aware of a changed scene, following the arrival of MTV and its impact on "overground" popmusic (commercial and not so commercial). At first, it seems to me that by UNDERCOVER Mick Jagger enthousiastically tried to make the Stones compete through the new channels for rock music. During the process, however, my impression is that a split was widening between the two of them as to development of Rolling Stones music. Keith wanting to be creative within the kind of Rolling Stones music that they had formerly developed a "trademark" for, Mick to expand it for the Stones to keep up their position under changed circumstances. My impression is that when Mick apparently considered UNDERCOVER's degree of success somewhat moderate, and aware of their deepening disagreement to more radical innovation of Stones music, then feared that the Rolling Stones were more or less a spent force and destined to fade away. First then a solo career emerged for him as his possibility to continue a career in rock and pop music.

In case, such an interpretation contributes to give another taste to Mick's actions and also to their personal split.

Date: September 18, 2016 18:12

I've never considered Mick's solo work to be particularly innovative. Certainly not compared to the likes of Paul Simon, Sting, Peter Gabriel to name but three.
Or for that matter some of the Stones work, YCAGWYA, Street Fighting Man come to mind.
Both lyrically and musically he's mostly played it pretty safe.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 18, 2016 18:29

Rip This

They were tight for awhile.

Keith stole nothing... Anita wanted out and got out.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: September 18, 2016 18:46

Turner68
They got bored with one another after all those years (who wouldn't) but are so desperate for the fame and money that they cling to what they have. Not particularly complicated. Their public battles are mostly just clever ways of getting PR.

thumbs up What else? Now the most interesting question to me is: What would have happened if Jagger had become as succesfull with his own band in the mid-eighties like he did with the Stones ?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 18, 2016 18:59

DonParker
What would have happened if Jagger had become as succesfull with his own band in the mid-eighties like he did with the Stones ?

The end of The Rolling Stones... until the big money offers came in to get back together again.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 18, 2016 19:07

jlowe
I've never considered Mick's solo work to be particularly innovative. Certainly not compared to the likes of Paul Simon, Sting, Peter Gabriel to name but three.
Or for that matter some of the Stones work, YCAGWYA, Street Fighting Man come to mind.
Both lyrically and musically he's mostly played it pretty safe.

However, as to UNDERCOVER one may think about the title song and "Too Much Blood".

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 18, 2016 19:29

DonParker

the most interesting question to me is: What would have happened if Jagger had become as succesfull with his own band in the mid-eighties like he did with the Stones ?

This forum would be titled "he's the boss" (HTB.org) and all day long we would discuss the various aspects of Jagger's enormously successful career : his 9 solo albums since 1985, his stellar film career (two Academy Awards), his role as Prez Obama (secret) cultural adviser, etc etc.

And once in a while someone would ask a question about that semi-forgotten band named "the Rolling Stones" or sth like that or what happened to Mick's partner in his old band : 'that scruffy guy Cliff Bitchards (sp?)" grinning smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 18, 2016 19:58

I think the musical differences began after Exile.
Keith wanted to continue to mine Americana (blues, country, Mississippi Delta music) and also started to get into reggae and his brand of Tin Pan Alley, jazzy, American standard-like ballads. Mick wanted to dance and chase trends and for Keith to come up with open G rock and roll hits.
If Mick had left the band after the 1972 tour and put together a real good album, he might have had himself a solo career. But by the '80s he was too old and the public just didn't take him seriously.
If Mick had left, Keith might have pulled himself together and put together a new band. Pure speculation, but he is a survivor and it might have worked if he had found a good frontman.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home