Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
Mick & Keith: What happened?
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 16, 2016 20:27

When and why did Jagger and Richards fall out?
When they started out, they were friends, then songwriters together, got busted together, went on vacations to Italy and North Africa and South America, double dated together, stood up for each other against outsiders.
I admit I love the mythology of Mick and Keith waking up the morning and writing Jumping Jack Flash or singing into the same microphone during the Exile recordings.
But somewhere along the line it turned into a business relationship. It's taken me a long time to look at things realistically and now I'm more interested in what their real relationship has been. I know that's a fan thing, but I do love what they've created together.

Re: Mick & Keith: What happened?
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 16, 2016 20:42

People grow older and have families and drift apart. That's life.
Mick and Keith spend months on tour together. Once that is done, what are they going to do, go on vacation together? Not bloody likely!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-16 20:44 by Boognish.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 16, 2016 20:52

Doxa - iorrs best writer - wrote an insightful post about the ER sessions . me i think it had to do with Mick forcing (my theory) Keith to quit heroin for good in 1980. He did it with the help of Patti i guess and methadone but ultimately i can picture a scenaario where Mick threatens to disband or something. No heroin meant touring in 1981. That probaably pissed Keith off more than Mick taking care of the band. It feels like a very personal and perhaps private matter between them created a permanent rift in 1980. Someone said that the Anita and Mick fling still mattered in the 90s. Maybe Keith came to some conclusions of why he really became a heavy user during his therapy in 1980 ( which lead to the reconciliation with his father) Maybe he , like Brian before him, never forgave and insteaad burried the hatchet with heroin.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 16, 2016 20:57

they had a falling out because Mick wanted to be a solo star like Michael Jackson and Keith being the real "rolling stone" of the group wanted to keep the band together and was offended that Mick would play with other musicians in place of the Stones.
Because Keith is so amazingly awesome and such a cool dude he allowed Mick to crawl back to the Stones after his solo career failed so miserably.

Jagger was humbled because his records didn't sell,a couple of them only reaching 2 or 3000 copies and people didn't go to his shows,sometimes only a couple of hundred people showed up.

He redeemed himself by writing the band a letter apoligizing for ever leaving and agreed to never do a solo project again.they've been great friends ever since.

Date: September 16, 2016 21:04

If I should guess, I'd say Mick felt he needed to protect himself - to avoid ending up like Keith, with his lifestyle.

Heavy heroin users rarely keep their friends who choose to stay away from that stuff anyway.

By the mid 80s, they had drifted far apart, and Keith was far from clean..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-16 21:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 16, 2016 21:15

lem motlow
they had a falling out because Mick wanted to be a solo star like Michael Jackson and Keith being the real "rolling stone" of the group wanted to keep the band together and was offended that Mick would play with other musicians in place of the Stones.
Because Keith is so amazingly awesome and such a cool dude he allowed Mick to crawl back to the Stones after his solo career failed so miserably.

Jagger was humbled because his records didn't sell,a couple of them only reaching 2 or 3000 copies and people didn't go to his shows,sometimes only a couple of hundred people showed up.

He redeemed himself by writing the band a letter apoligizing for ever leaving and agreed to never do a solo project again.they've been great friends ever since.

Writing the band a letter, haha!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2016 21:18

DandelionPowderman
If I should guess, I'd say Mick felt he needed to protect himself - to avoid ending up like Keith, with his lifestyle.

Heavy heroin users rarely keep their friends who choose to stay away from that stuff anyway.

There's where you may be on to something. Mick used drugs, they all did to some degree and hardness (including Bill who smoked pot). But Keith's use began to affect things in the early 70s. Having to wait around all night while you wait for the junky to come out of the bathroom is not glamorous. Mick was bad, but Keith was terrible. Some of us have been in that position. We're not angels by any means, but we have friends that go off the deep end and we end having to babysit them.

I imagine after a few years of heroin use, starting in the later 60s, Keith got to be a drag as a person. Mick was growing, reading, showing interest in many types of people. His natural inclination when he found himself with Bianca and a child on the way would have been to chill a bit and take care of business. Keith seemed to enjoy low lifes and smack. These differences don't appear when the both of you are young and single, but there was a multi-million dollar, world wide business to be tended to. Mick stepped up and did it, Keith shot up. The schism probably has its roots in these times, and were magnified during the Toronto Bust and somewhat rambling '78 Tour.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 16, 2016 21:28

Maybe Keef is the kind of person who has to hate somebody to find an inner equilibrium?
In the 1960's it was the judges the old society who put him the slammer that Keef hated.

During the 70's Keef hated no one as he was in a perpetual drug haze.

When he finally quit (1980?) he "discovered" his main problem was... Mick, the man who kept the band together while he was a living zombie.

So he started to hate Mick ferociously and he dug out a few logs from the past (the flirt with Anita on the set of "Performance" ) to keep the bad fire going.

The hate started with "All About You" and spread like a tumor to the present times.

But thx to "Life" We now know Keef can hate several ppl at the same time (Donald Cammell for example ). Mick has learnt to shrug it off with the usual ("aw that's old Keith!") pirouette so it's all good.

Add to this the vicious attacks at Brian (see the 25x5 video) who at the time was dead for 20 years.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-16 21:33 by dcba.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 16, 2016 21:30

24FPS
DandelionPowderman

There's where you may be on to something. Mick used drugs, they all did to some degree and hardness (including Bill who smoked pot). But Keith's use began to affect things in the early 70s. Having to wait around all night while you wait for the junky to come out of the bathroom is not glamorous. Mick was bad, but Keith was terrible. Some of us have been in that position. We're not angels by any means, but we have friends that go off the deep end and we end having to babysit them.

I imagine after a few years of heroin use, starting in the later 60s, Keith got to be a drag as a person. Mick was growing, reading, showing interest in many types of people. His natural inclination when he found himself with Bianca and a child on the way would have been to chill a bit and take care of business. Keith seemed to enjoy low lifes and smack. These differences don't appear when the both of you are young and single, but there was a multi-million dollar, world wide business to be tended to. Mick stepped up and did it, Keith shot up. The schism probably has its roots in these times, and were magnified during the Toronto Bust and somewhat rambling '78 Tour.

Sounds about right to me.
Not sure about the rambling 78 tour though, Keith seemed to be very much back in the groove after being carried by Woody in 75

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 16, 2016 21:33

lem motlow

Where did you get this info?

Date: September 16, 2016 21:41

swimtothemoon
lem motlow

Irony smiling smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 16, 2016 21:42

Many valid theories here. Probably the comments about Keith's drug use make the most sense. Mick probably reached a point where he'd had enough of dealing with a junky and Keith resented him for it. Things only got worse when Keith got clean and wanted to regain more control of the Stones. Mick had begun to like having so much control. Mick's frustration led him to pursue solo work, which felt like the ultimate betrayal to Keith. Fortunately for us, they both cared enough about the Stones legacy to get back together in 1989. It's probably been a touch and go relationship ever since.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 16, 2016 21:46

DandelionPowderman
swimtothemoon
lem motlow

And speculating ........There is some truth in it,,,,except for Michael Jackson I rather for Barry Gibb grinning smiley

Irony smiling smiley

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 16, 2016 21:55

Looking further back i think you can trace the first breaks in Mick and Keith's relationship right back to the early 60s when Brian became a part of their scene while Mick was not living with them. Mick appeared to be a very jealous guy with regards to anyone getting to close to Keith and Brian was the first to get really close to Keith and equally Brian was never keen on Mick either. And from the other side of the coin Mick shagged Anita and Keith knew full well about what had happened and don't tell me that that isn't the kind of thing that breaks up friendships for good. The 70s were where it became more apparent to the general public that Mick and Keith were living totally different lives as Mick took control because of Keith and the drugs and Micks utter desperation to be a part of the jetset which Keith thinks is bullshit. There have been moments of love between the 2 of them since and more noticeably in the last few years as they have become old men but if you ask me I'd say Ronnie and Keith have been closer mates than Mick and Keith ever have been and had Gram Parsons survived [Another one Mick had little time for] then i believe their friendship would still be strong also.
Mick and Keith come together for work reasons every so often and through that they will always be linked but these guys have little in common other than a shared public past and a love of Blues music. But.....those little flashes of love we see between them these days makes my heart tingle and brings a tear to my eye, there is love there but the relationship fractured a long long time ago.

Date: September 16, 2016 22:39

I think Mick lived with them, Geordie (he was still attending LSOE in the daytime) but he became jealous indeed, when Brian and Keith attempted to become the new Everley Brothers in Edith Grove.

According to Phelge's book.

Date: September 16, 2016 22:52

Take a look at the video for Neighbors. Keith's hate for Mick is so obvious. Thanks to this cheaply made video (no retakes-keep the camera rolling) you can see Keith's public contempt started in 1981. Mick became a person Keith can't accept. Telling video - Mick wants to play the part of room-mates and friends and Keith is like f off I don't act.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 16, 2016 22:59

AlmostHearYouSigh
Take a look at the video for Neighbors. Keith's hate for Mick is so obvious. Thanks to this cheaply made video (no retakes-keep the camera rolling) you can see Keith's public contempt started in 1981. Mick became a person Keith can't accept. Telling video - Mick wants to play the part of room-mates and friends and Keith is like f off I don't act.
What a shockingly cheap video. Ronnie doesn't even have a plectrum in his hand and Charlie can't even be bothered to mimic the drum rolls of the song.

As for Keith's hate of Mick: a bit maybe, I don't really see it. He shoots him a few dirty glances and fires a raw gesture at him, but nothing approaching seething hatred.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 16, 2016 23:12

DandelionPowderman
I think Mick lived with them, Geordie (he was still attending LSOE in the daytime) but he became jealous indeed, when Brian and Keith attempted to become the new Everley Brothers in Edith Grove.

According to Phelge's book.
Yes of course my mistake, but there was a degree of seperation because Brian and Keith became so close while Mick was away during the day.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 16, 2016 23:17

DandelionPowderman
when Brian and Keith attempted to become the new Everley Brothers in Edith Grove.

I didn't know Brian could sing that well?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2016 23:34

Moonshine
24FPS
DandelionPowderman

Sounds about right to me.
Not sure about the rambling 78 tour though, Keith seemed to be very much back in the groove after being carried by Woody in 75

I think the tour had a lot of ups and down. I was in Cleveland and it was ramshackle at best. Keith was paler than I've ever seen him, with a junkie pall to his skin.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 16, 2016 23:49

geordiestone
Looking further back i think you can trace the first breaks in Mick and Keith's relationship right back to the early 60s when Brian became a part of their scene while Mick was not living with them. Mick appeared to be a very jealous guy with regards to anyone getting to close to Keith and Brian was the first to get really close to Keith and equally Brian was never keen on Mick either. And from the other side of the coin Mick shagged Anita and Keith knew full well about what had happened and don't tell me that that isn't the kind of thing that breaks up friendships for good. The 70s were where it became more apparent to the general public that Mick and Keith were living totally different lives as Mick took control because of Keith and the drugs and Micks utter desperation to be a part of the jetset which Keith thinks is bullshit. There have been moments of love between the 2 of them since and more noticeably in the last few years as they have become old men but if you ask me I'd say Ronnie and Keith have been closer mates than Mick and Keith ever have been and had Gram Parsons survived [Another one Mick had little time for] then i believe their friendship would still be strong also.
Mick and Keith come together for work reasons every so often and through that they will always be linked but these guys have little in common other than a shared public past and a love of Blues music. But.....those little flashes of love we see between them these days makes my heart tingle and brings a tear to my eye, there is love there but the relationship fractured a long long time ago.

I agree that the love is most likely still there, but I wouldn't say it's completely fractured anymore...though it most certainly was at one time. Over the course of a lifetime, Mick and Keith have probably had at least a dozen different relationships. It's true of most long lasting relationships.

I'll admit too that I'm in the camp that gets a little mushy when I see them on stage interacting with one another with obvious joy. It's like seeing a little glimpse of their enduring connection.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 17, 2016 00:11

Great stuff.
I never believed the 'childhood friends' thing, but I think they became friends in the early days with the bands, sort of coming in together with similar musical tastes. I think their friendship was cemented in the songwriting process -- imo, Keith was more advanced at this in the early days and probably taught Mick how to write songs. Keith was probably very easy to work with in those days. Mick did seem to admire Keith's devil may care toughness, and as some have mentioned in this thread, was very protective toward him, as if he wanted him all for his own
I think the Mick/Anita tryst was very painful for Keith. In his view, what happened with him and Anita was love, but here was Mick just messing with him. I think that probably weighed on him more as the years went on.
The drug use drove them apart, but probably very slowly, because Mick's coke use was pretty over the top in the 70s.
I don't necessarily believe that they were completely hanging with different people. Keith didn't hang with lowlifes, really, mostly musicians and decadent aristocrats.
By 1980, both of them probably looked at each other and realized they had hooked their wagons to the other man, and maybe didn't like it. Keith rules over everyone, except Mick. And Mick rules over everyone, except Keith Maybe that bred resentment. If Keith did have therapy at that time, as someone mentioned, maybe he reviewed the Anita thing and other things Mick did. For his part, Mick probably resented the Alan Klein deal and Keith's role in that.
I'm sure Mick resents Keith's drug use; maybe Keith resents Mick's womanizing and feels he had to clean up those messes.
It's a fascinating story to me.

Date: September 17, 2016 00:14

I don't recall Mick ever publicly saying anything thing negative about Keith but
have read a few shockingly negative comments regarding Mick from Keith. Now days, at least onstage, they seem to have patched things up.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 17, 2016 00:17

swimtothemoon
I don't recall Mick ever publicly saying anything thing negative about Keith but
have read a few shockingly negative comments regarding Mick from Keith. Now days, at least onstage, they seem to have patched things up.

I also would like to think that they've made amends. They seem to share some genuinely affectionate moments on stage. If it's an act, then it's a very good one.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: September 17, 2016 00:22

HonkeyTonkFlash
swimtothemoon

I also would like to think that they've made amends. They seem to share some genuinely affectionate moments on stage. If it's an act, then it's a very good one.

Yes it also appears to me to be spontaneous and genuine.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: September 17, 2016 00:40

I think they learned from Lennon/McCartney not what to do, breakup completely, but rather take much needed time away from each other when time dictated, that's life..

Date: September 17, 2016 01:07

Koen
DandelionPowderman
when Brian and Keith attempted to become the new Everley Brothers in Edith Grove.

I didn't know Brian could sing that well?

I said attempted smiling smiley

Brian sings the great backing vocals on Walking The Dog, btw.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 17, 2016 01:16

AlmostHearYouSigh
you are kidding...right? [www.youtube.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 17, 2016 01:23

keefriff99
AlmostHearYouSigh
What a shockingly cheap video. Ronnie doesn't even have a plectrum in his hand and Charlie can't even be bothered to mimic the drum rolls of the song.

As for Keith's hate of Mick: a bit maybe, I don't really see it. He shoots him a few dirty glances and fires a raw gesture at him, but nothing approaching seething hatred.

That's the brilliance of the TATTOO YOU videos - they didn't even bother to mime properly!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 17, 2016 01:26

It all started when Mick got married. It took the air out of the brotherhood Keith had for Mick.

Then SOME GIRLS gave Mick a boost and Keith had been busted. Mick got very popular, had the Stones make something totally off the wall with UNDERCOVER and then went off the deep end with the awful triplet of SHE'S THE BOSS, DIRTY WORK and PRIMITIVE COOL.

By the big tours of 1989 and 1990 he determined what they were going to do, sound like and look like because of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It's been that way ever since.

That's it in a nutshell.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home