Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Satisfaction - stereo mix
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 12, 2016 15:28

Yesterday I had a very odd moment. I sat in my car and heard the new local radio station Radio Regenbogen 2, which is by the way excellent. They played Satisfaction and it was a real stereo mix which had a very loud acoustic guitar which I have never heard that clear in the song. I started to search in the internet which version this could be and I found some statements that it was released on Hot Rocks in the Mid 80's in Germany.

so my question. does anybody here have this version? what do you think of it?

Re: Satisfaction - stereo mix
Date: September 12, 2016 15:30

It's cool. The Chess Recordings were all stereo, btw.

Date: September 12, 2016 15:34

Are you sure this is the Chess Recording and not the RCA recording? Because I thought it was the common version but in stereo.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 12, 2016 15:48

The German Hot Rocks has some kind of "wide" stereo version of "Satisfaction." That may be it.

I too heard a version on the radio with acoustic guitars very prevalent. This was over 25 years ago and I even called the radio station. By then they were starting to play everything on preloaded cartridges so they were unsure of the source.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 12, 2016 15:49

The Chess Satisfaction is not available even on bootlegs.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 12, 2016 15:51

Stereo Satisfaction:
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 12, 2016 15:53

hockenheim95
Yesterday I had a very odd moment. I sat in my car and heard the new local radio station Radio Regenbogen 2, which is by the way excellent. They played Satisfaction and it was a real stereo mix which had a very loud acoustic guitar which I have never heard that clear in the song. I started to search in the internet which version this could be and I found some statements that it was released on Hot Rocks in the Mid 80's in Germany.

It was released here

All WG Hot Rocks 1 [820 141-2] London CDs contain the same wide stereo mix, although those from glass masters 03* and 04# came with fade out. Hot Rocks 1 [820 141-2] was in print from 1985 till 1994. Nowadays it is an easy catch on ebay. If you have some patience and with a bit of luck you can get the 1st pressing (like the one pictured above) for 10 Euros or less. Anyway, do not pay more than 15 Euros, this CD was pressed in big quantities and is not that difficult to catch.

The same A->D transfer was used for Japanese London CDs P33L 25011, P25L 25047 and POCD-1927. These are a bit different in terms of final EQ.

Stay away from French made CD Hot Rocks 1 [820 141-2] - it looks almost the same as W German but contains different (old ABKCO) mastering with mostly mono tracks.

Stereo version itself is funny with almost complete left-right separation of the instruments and vocal in the center. Surely, might find wide separation disturbing.

Date: September 12, 2016 15:53

Deltics
Stereo Satisfaction:
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks, but as always...

Dieses Video ist in Deutschland leider nicht verfügbar, da es Musik von UMG enthalten könnte, über deren Verwendung wir uns mit der GEMA bisher nicht einigen konnten.

Date: September 12, 2016 16:28

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-05 19:51 by blueswithafeeling.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 12, 2016 16:30

The ping-pong stereo version of 'Satisfaction' is also contained on the east-german compilation 'The Rolling Stones' (LP / Cass.), AMIGA label, early 1982. The source for this compilation has been taken from the west-german Telefunken-Decca Schallplatten GmbH (Teldec).

A slight stereo version of 'Satisfaction' can be found on the U.S. version of 'Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)' from 2002 as well as on the worldwide 2002 reissue of 'Hot Rocks'.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-24 14:45 by Irix.

Date: September 12, 2016 16:31

Deltics
The Chess Satisfaction is not available even on bootlegs.

Yeah, that's correct. I meant the version on The Chess Recordings (the bootleg) smiling smiley

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: September 12, 2016 19:28

blueswithafeeling
hockenheim95
Deltics
Stereo Satisfaction:
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks, but as always...

Dieses Video ist in Deutschland leider nicht verfügbar, da es Musik von UMG enthalten könnte, über deren Verwendung wir uns mit der GEMA bisher nicht einigen konnten.

If you use Firefox: [addons.mozilla.org]

[de.filsh.net] (you cannot play the video in Germany, but you can download it via filsh)

Date: September 13, 2016 02:01

thank you very much for your help. this version really misses some punch but it is interesting.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 13, 2016 03:47

I bought the London Hot Rocks CD back in 86! This was the first version of Satisfaction that you could hear the piano on the right side along with Brian's acoustic guitar.
CD also has wide stereo versions of Get Off Of My Cloud and Mothers Little Helper.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: September 13, 2016 11:49

hockenheim95

Slightly OT but I remember the original Radio Regenbogen from when I was living in Germany around 15 years ago. What kind of music does the new station play?

Date: September 13, 2016 12:18

JumpinJimF
hockenheim95

Slightly OT but I remember the original Radio Regenbogen from when I was living in Germany around 15 years ago. What kind of music does the new station play?

The new stations plays "Maximum Rock und Pop". So they play all kind of good stuff. Stones, Radiohead, Nirvana, Genesis, Kiss, Michael Jackson, Red Hot chili Peppers, Bowie....And they don't always play their biggest hits like other stations..

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: September 13, 2016 13:25

hockenheim95
JumpinJimF
hockenheim95

The new stations plays "Maximum Rock und Pop". So they play all kind of good stuff. Stones, Radiohead, Nirvana, Genesis, Kiss, Michael Jackson, Red Hot chili Peppers, Bowie....And they don't always play their biggest hits like other stations..

Thanks. Found the live stream http://www.regenbogen.de/webradio/regenbogen-2 and Stones/Bowie/Nirvana sounds OK so I will be able to listen and in between songs refresh my rusty Deutschkenntnis.

And I like their gimmick "Die News - Immer fünf Minuten früher - auf den Punkt informiert! Morgens zwischen 5:55 und 8:55 Uhr halbstündlich" smiling smiley

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: September 13, 2016 16:23

And also "Play with fire"

Date: September 13, 2016 22:32

I forgot to mention Play With Fire in my original post! I like this version the best out of any other version. These original London CD's were mastered by Mobile Fidelity. Lady Jane on London Aftermath sounds better than even the 2002 remasters.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 15, 2016 02:17

Hey man, I've got that on one of my Westwood One Radio show cd's along with several other rare stereo versions...it's sweeeeeeeet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-15 02:44 by shadooby.

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: September 16, 2016 15:47

I think the London Aftermath sounds better than the 2002 remasters too, not only Lady Jane.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 17, 2016 01:55

Yes...i remember having the same "odd moment" that Hockenheim95 described. Back in mid 80s the local classic rock radio station was switching over to CD and they featured it on a Sunday night show in which they played a CD in it's entirety (Hot Rocks 1 & 2). these West German London discs came before the abkco disks were sold in the US. Compact Discs were new and expensive. I had opportunities to purchase the WG discs from local import shops here in Milwaukee but (as a college student) couldn't afford....and I was not aware that they were mastered by mobile fidelity. I, however, did recently purchase the West German Hot Rocks 1 & 2 from EBay...and before that bought Strictly Stereo. Strictly stereo is a compilation of Stereo recordings. I don't recall the Strictly Stereo version of Satisfaction being quite as "wide" as the West German Hot Rocks version...but it still had prominent acoustic guitar.

Anybody else have info about Strictly Stereo? Personal opinions etc..? [www.discogs.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-17 01:57 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: lukpac ()
Date: September 17, 2016 02:11

Irix
Workaround for the german YouTube-GEMA-issue: [we.tl] (MKV-File, use the VLC-Player).

The ping-pong stereo version of 'Satisfaction' is also contained on the east-german compilation 'The Rolling Stones' (LP / Cass.), AMIGA label, early 1982. The source for this compilation has been taken from the west-german Telefunken-Decca Schallplatten GmbH (Teldec).

A pseudo stereo version of 'Satisfaction' can be found on the U.S. version of the compilation 'Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)' from 2002.

Are you sure about that East German LP? I've never seen any evidence that the stereo mix of Satisfaction was released anywhere other than the Hot Rocks 1 CD.

The 2002 stereo mix is not fake stereo, but it is mixed to have very little stereo separation. The backing and vocals are mixed center, while the acoustic guitar/piano track is split left and right and low in level. True stereo, but arguably not a very good mix.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 17, 2016 16:40

lukpac

Are you sure about that East German LP?

Yes, absolutely. The LP can be found quite easy on eBay.de - the first pressings from 1982 have the dark red centerlabel.

lukpac

The 2002 stereo mix is not fake stereo, but it is mixed to have very little stereo separation. The backing and vocals are mixed center, while the acoustic guitar/piano track is split left and right and low in level. True stereo, but arguably not a very good mix.

Therefore I called it "pseudo stereo" .... smiling smiley

Edit: As mentioned below, maybe 'slight stereo' could be an suitable expression for the 2002 stereo version -- although the result sounds almost like pseudo stereo.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-24 15:15 by Irix.

Date: September 17, 2016 17:42

Irix
Therefore I called it "pseudo stereo" .... smiling smiley

Generally "pseudo stereo" is reserved for stereo "mixes" that are derived from mono, which the 2002 mix isn't. Hence my comment.

Date: September 17, 2016 21:32

Hey Lukpac, your website is the definitive source for the 2002 remasters! I bought all the remasters when they came out (except for Hot Rocks). Even bought a Sony SACD player just for them.
I don't recall being able to here any piano on the 2002 stereo mix?

Date: September 17, 2016 22:37

DGA35
Hey Lukpac, your website is the definitive source for the 2002 remasters! I bought all the remasters when they came out (except for Hot Rocks). Even bought a Sony SACD player just for them.
I don't recall being able to here any piano on the 2002 stereo mix?

FYI, there are various errors that we're looking to address. We've been going through all of the various CDs again and will take the new mono box into account as well. Hopefully we'll have something new in a few months.

As for the 2002 stereo mix of Satisfaction, there's piano, it's just quite low in the mix. The piano and acoustic guitar are on the same tracks, and the piano is a bit lower in level than the acoustic guitar.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: September 18, 2016 05:26

I have always thought that the version of satisfaction on out of our heads is true mono. The version on the Remastered Promo Cd (which came out at the same time as the 2002 disks) had very slight stereo separation.

Date: September 18, 2016 12:07

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-05 19:50 by blueswithafeeling.

Date: September 22, 2016 02:49

Hoping that one day we get official stereo releases of The Last Time, 19th Nervous Breakdown and As Tears Go By!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home