Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: 2000 Light Years From Home (New)
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 18, 2016 17:37

Silver Dagger

Should be a thread on its own. Hmmmm. I'm sure that one could drag His Majesty back out of early retirement. Heh heh.

... hello ...

Yes, the some what subtle continuation of freakiness is one of the reasons I love Beggars Banquet.

Things are evened out due to the more earth bound lyrical content, production being more sparse and also the folksy/roots based tracks, but even there, Parachute Woman for example, there's a weird vibe to that thanks to the psych blues electric guitar. Additionally, it's one of the Philips Cassette recorder based tracks, transistorised freaky blues.

The supposedly authentic Prodigal Son has a hint of weirdness due to the ghost like harmonica creeping about in the distance.

I'd have liked a bit more freakiness on Beggars Banquet, but hey ho, it is what it is, but I've prefered TSMR to it for quite some time now. smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-18 18:20 by His Majesty.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2016 22:51

This song is yet another that shows the Stones uniquely signature style despite being a departure from their normal type of music. When I first heard this on the radio, I knew from just the sound of the guitar riff at the beginning that this was something new from the Stones! Good stuff.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: September 22, 2016 04:43

HonkeyTonkFlash
This song is yet another that shows the Stones uniquely signature style despite being a departure from their normal type of music. When I first heard this on the radio, I knew from just the sound of the guitar riff at the beginning that this was something new from the Stones! Good stuff.

Interestingly, Bill say's he came up with that intro motif.

Re: Track Talk: 2000 Light Years From Home
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 22, 2016 10:40

It does sound like Bill.

Date: September 22, 2016 11:21

Redhotcarpet
It does sound like Bill.

Yes, as a long time Stones fan, I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I was never sure if opening riff was done on a bass or regular guitar. All I knew when I first heard that followed by Charlie's initial drum fills that it was the Stones. In the modern era, doesn't Ronnie play that part?

Date: September 22, 2016 11:40

Ronnie has played that part since 1989. If we are talking about the guitar riff, that is smiling smiley

It's masterfully both bluesy and psychedelic, btw. Brilliant stuff.

Date: September 22, 2016 11:44

DandelionPowderman
Ronnie has played that part since 1989. If we are talking about the guitar riff, that is smiling smiley

Yeah, I was pretty sure of that. It sure was amazing to hear this done right in front of my face at Shea Stadium in 1989; the first time the Stones ever attempted a song like this live, and they pulled it off in great form. I had very good seats on the floor, maybe fifteen rows back. The lights and visuals were also breathtaking on this song!

Date: September 22, 2016 11:45

Are you guys talking about 200Lightyears now, or 'Parachute Woman'?

Date: September 22, 2016 11:47

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I was pretty sure of that. It sure was amazing to hear this done right in front of my face at Shea Stadium in 1989; the first time the Stones ever attempted a song like this live, and they pulled it off in great form. I had very good seats on the floor, maybe fifteen rows back. The lights and visuals were also breathtaking on this song!

It was my first Stones show in Oslo, 1990. I was blown away when they started this one. Absolutely wonderful.

Date: September 22, 2016 11:52

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

It was my first Stones show in Oslo, 1990. I was blown away when they started this one. Absolutely wonderful.

I'm sure it did! My first introductions to seeing the Stones live were the rough and ragged-but rocking 1978 and 1981 tours, so my expectations were based on that....Never expected the Stones to attempt a number like Light Years on stage. Of course I didn't expect to hear them replicate studio arrangements of anything although I'd heard rumours...The whole "garage band" era vs. the "modern era." I know it's been comprehensively discussed on other threads....

Date: September 22, 2016 11:53

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

I'm sure it did! My first introductions to seeing the Stones live were the rough and ragged-but rocking 1978 and 1981 tours, so my expectations were based on that....Never expected the Stones to attempt a number like Light Years on stage. Of course I didn't expect to hear them replicate studio arrangements of anything although I'd heard rumours...The whole "garage band" era vs. the "modern era." I know it's been comprehensively discussed on other threads....

Even the modern era isn't black and white, luckily smileys with beer

Date: January 10, 2017 01:35

GasLightStreet
His Majesty

COTM did not exist at the time of TSMR being released.

They started it at the very last session for TSMR.

There's no proof or evidence that they recorded it in 1967.

Awhile ago I read a quote from Mick saying he wrote Child of the Moon whilst on holiday in South America.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 02:16 by His Majesty.

Date: January 10, 2017 01:37

HonkeyTonkFlash
Redhotcarpet
It does sound like Bill.

Yes, as a long time Stones fan, I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I was never sure if opening riff was done on a bass or regular guitar. All I knew when I first heard that followed by Charlie's initial drum fills that it was the Stones. In the modern era, doesn't Ronnie play that part?

The intro motif with bass and guitar before the drums kick in is what Bill claims to have come up with.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 10, 2017 02:28

As I have said also in other threads:

I once read, I don't remember where, with all difference between them, that, allegedly, the motif for "2000 Light Years from Home" was to have been the Byrds song "CTA 102" from their third album YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY.

I wonder if that assertion may be verified or rejected. Especially in case of verification, it would serve as one proof that the Rolling Stones took their inspiration in a highly indirect way, quite contrary to claims from some fans of the Beatles as to how and from whom the Stones were inspired.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 10, 2017 03:54

GasLightStreet
I've always considered psychedelia as just noise. Unlistenable at that, mostly. The Stones certainly achieved that with TSMR in places. The use of "different" instruments is not a qualifier for the Stones being psychedelic.

Tentatively as some first steps towards a feeling of what psychedelia may comprise in my view : To me psychedelia may involve some kind, but not any kind, of 1) weird instrumental sounds, and/or 2) weird, "skew" melody lines.

Examples among those: a) John Lennon's four songs on REVOLVER, b) much of Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd, c) some of Donovan's songs, among them "Hurdy Gurdy Man", d) a few of the songs of the Byrds, mostly on YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY, plus the song " Mind Gardens" (D Crosby), e) some songs from Vanilla Fudge. Apart from that, also some instances of Grateful Dead's second and third albums and Jefferson Airplane's AFTER BATHING AT BAXTER'S.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home