Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brown Sugar - studio version
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 3, 2016 06:13

Keith stands on, as we the audience look at it, the right hand side of the stage when playing live.

It's accepted that, in the studio recordings, he comes out of the right channel.

Yet, on Brown Sugar on Sticky Fingers, his classic opening riff comes out of the left channel, whilst his acoustic guitar comes out of the right.

Mick Taylor is listed as playing guitar. Where is he in the mix? But more importantly, why is Keith so obviously on the left in this one track?

Are there other tracks, where there are two guitarists, where he is on the left?

Or do I have it wrong?

Rod

Re: Brown Sugar - studio version
Date: September 3, 2016 08:12

It's the same on Bitch.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 3, 2016 11:31

Ask the engineer...

Date: September 3, 2016 11:52

1963luca0
Ask the engineer...

Thanks for ridiculous response. There are so many knowledgeable people here I hah hoped one of THEM may know, and then there's you...

Rod

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 3, 2016 12:00

it's not ridiculous, it's referred to Glyn Johns and his 'Sound Man'.
A nice reading, full of lighting details on how the things went at the mixing desk.
Unfortunately, Johns does not talk about the Muscle Shoal sessions and how BS was initially recorded. You'd compare the rare BS on initial copies of HR to the final one on SF, to have more info I guess.
At a certain point of his career, Johns aimed to be credited as producer and not only as mixing engineer and used to insist a lot on this point. He convinced some of his Artists, but the only goal he reached with the RS is a co-producing credit for Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! Most likely, on 'SF' he experimented a little, trying to increase his status. On the opposite side, one could guess that - being BS a Jagger's song - MJ directed the mixing sessions or the overdubbings, placing intruments where he preferred, also in order to limit Gl0yn Johns ambitions. Who knows? Ask the engineer...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-03 12:09 by 1963luca0.

Date: September 3, 2016 12:22

1963luca0
it's not ridiculous, it's referred to Glyn Johns and his 'Sound Man'.
A nice reading, full of lighting details on how the things went at the mixing desk.
Unfortunately, Johns does not talk about the Muscle Shoal sessions and how BS was initially recorded. You'd compare the rare BS on initial copies of HR to the final one on SF, to have more info I guess.
At a certain point of his career, Johns aimed to be credited as producer and not only as mixing engineer and used to insist a lot on this point. He convinced some of his Artists, but the only goal he reached with the RS is a co-producing credit for Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! Most likely, on 'SF' he experimented a little, trying to increase his status. On the opposite side, one could guess that - being BS a Jagger's song - MJ directed the mixing sessions or the overdubbings, placing intruments where he preferred, also in order to limit Gl0yn Johns ambitions. Who knows? Ask the engineer...

Have his email or postal address handy, or cell phone, then?

Rod

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 3, 2016 19:00

bitusa2012

Mick Taylor is listed as playing guitar. Where is he in the mix?

I think this is what makes Taylor the ultimate "live boot" artist. If all you knew about the band was from the studio releases you would know that Taylor was a fine guitarist that was often not in or not prominent in the mix. When he shines, he shines, but his playing is often absent or difficult to find. Unfortunately for him the album that would have broadened his exposure, the live '72-'73 album, was never released. I certainly under-appreciated his playing. So did the press. If you look at the articles from the '72 tour it is all Jagger, Jagger, Jagger with barely a mention of Keith or Taylor. As far as I know it was only the Village Voice that gave Taylor his due. It was long after the fact that I heard the boots from the time. It was a revelation that many general fans have not had at least until the more recent releases from the era. When he sat in with the band I wondered how many younger attendees knew much about him.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 3, 2016 19:09

Maybe he talks about it in his book: [glynjohns.com]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 3, 2016 19:17

DandelionPowderman
It's the same on Bitch.

Dead Flowers as well. There doesn't seem to be an overall consistency.

What a beautifully mixed album I must say. Really the guys at the peak of their sonic powers. Songs like Moonlight Mile are absolutely gorgeous, especially for that era.

Date: September 3, 2016 19:37

bitusa2012
Keith stands on, as we the audience look at it, the right hand side of the stage when playing live.

It's accepted that, in the studio recordings, he comes out of the right channel.

Yet, on Brown Sugar on Sticky Fingers, his classic opening riff comes out of the left channel, whilst his acoustic guitar comes out of the right.

Mick Taylor is listed as playing guitar. Where is he in the mix? But more importantly, why is Keith so obviously on the left in this one track?

Are there other tracks, where there are two guitarists, where he is on the left?

Or do I have it wrong?

When they first debuted the song at Altamont right after they first cut it, Richards played a combination of the left and right electric guitars and takes a short solo, while Taylor played either Berry-style rock 'n' roll rhythm or chord arpeggios throughout. I think he plays the riff in unison a few times as well, but not every time. At the end he plays some cool lead too.

As for the studio, Taylor's official website said he does play on the song. The guys at Muscle Shoals said he played a Strat when recording there. Not sure if those parts made it or not. It's hard to tell because the Stones recorded SOOO much to tape back then; there are probably like 70 versions. If he plays on the released version, I'd guess the guitar on the right, although some parts of that sound very much like Richards. Although, some of his licks on I Got the Blues sound like Richards.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 3, 2016 19:42

There are a lot of other songs where Keith's main guitar part is not consistent with where he stands on stage...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: September 4, 2016 11:08

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
It's the same on Bitch.

Dead Flowers as well. There doesn't seem to be an overall consistency.

What a beautifully mixed album I must say. Really the guys at the peak of their sonic powers. Songs like Moonlight Mile are absolutely gorgeous, especially for that era.

Isn't KR on the same channel for the songs in Side A and then in the other channel for Side B? Mostly the same for Taylor?

MT gets pushed out of his channel on Sway and Moonlight Mile but otherwise I thought follows the KR approach. (Can't remember if IGTB follows this.)

Date: September 4, 2016 11:29

TravelinMan
bitusa2012

Or do I have it wrong?

When they first debuted the song at Altamont right after they first cut it, Richards played a combination of the left and right electric guitars and takes a short solo, while Taylor played either Berry-style rock 'n' roll rhythm or chord arpeggios throughout. I think he plays the riff in unison a few times as well, but not every time. At the end he plays some cool lead too.

As for the studio, Taylor's official website said he does play on the song. The guys at Muscle Shoals said he played a Strat when recording there. Not sure if those parts made it or not. It's hard to tell because the Stones recorded SOOO much to tape back then; there are probably like 70 versions. If he plays on the released version, I'd guess the guitar on the right, although some parts of that sound very much like Richards. Although, some of his licks on I Got the Blues sound like Richards.

Richards played the licks in the right channel. He did the Licks in the right channel on IGTB as well.

What Taylor contributed on the BS studio version is well-documented on the bootlegs. Those licks never made the official studio version.

If he played the acoustic, however, he is indeed on the studio version.

Date: September 5, 2016 02:15

Yeah, on IGTB some of the licks in the left channel (Taylor) are things Richards would play, or similar. Although it's definitely Taylor.

Date: September 5, 2016 08:46

TravelinMan
Yeah, on IGTB some of the licks in the left channel (Taylor) are things Richards would play, or similar. Although it's definitely Taylor.

I agree. His attack is different and more smooth.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2016 17:53

I wonder what channel Keith is on on LET IT BLEED.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1350
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home