Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: Track Talk: 100 Years Ago
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 18, 2016 07:13

GasLightStreet

100 Years Ago certainly does have hit-potential. It's a great song.

There is a major difference between a great song hiding in an album and a hit single with hooks that you end up hearing being played in shops or on radios of cars driving by.

I like it, but it's just not the kind of song that would have been a hit in 1973.

You may not like Angie, but it went to #1 on the singles charts. So it's hard to argue that 100 Years Ago would have been a "better" single.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 18, 2016 13:44

You know what is interesting about this song? The first opening chords/riffs are are similar to Earth Wind and Fires' "Sing a Song." Of Course, these songs take different courses.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: September 18, 2016 17:34

Basically it's a riff that has been played by Hendrix a zillion times before.

Date: September 19, 2016 10:15

DonParker
Basically it's a riff that has been played by Hendrix a zillion times before.

Which riff?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 19, 2016 11:14

The downward descending thing in the intro and the rhythm chords etc. A little The wind cries, burning of the midnight, wait until tomorrow, etc. Hendrixy if you like.

Date: September 19, 2016 11:20

All artists have used that chord-progression. Hendrix certainly didn't invent it smiling smiley

I thought maybe he meant the short opening riff, though.

Date: September 19, 2016 11:34

Yeah thats the one. Very Hendrix like.

Date: September 19, 2016 12:11

DandelionPowderman
All artists have used that chord-progression. Hendrix certainly didn't invent it smiling smiley

Yes, that's what I meant, my answer to Chris Fountain above. You also can hear Keith do it on SFTD, on YaYa's, the verses, and Hendrix, earlier, the Wind cries Mary etc. Sounds great.

Date: September 19, 2016 12:16

DonParker
DandelionPowderman

Yes, that's what I meant, my answer to Chris Fountain above. You also can hear Keith do it on SFTD, on YaYa's, the verses, and Hendrix, earlier, the Wind cries Mary etc. Sounds great.

It's an old country lick, though. It's nice anyway smiling smiley

Date: September 19, 2016 12:25

DandelionPowderman
DonParker
DandelionPowderman

It's an old country lick, though. It's nice anyway smiling smiley

Yep, I remember back in '67 when I was a 6 years old kid and heard it for the first time when Jimi Hendrix played it. Ancient history. smiling smiley As far as I remember he introduced the lick in Rock Music. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-19 12:30 by DonParker.

Date: September 19, 2016 13:13

He sott of did it on Mercy Mercy which the Stones covered and copied

Date: September 19, 2016 13:28

Redhotcarpet

That's a different lick.

The Stones ignored chords and did an easier and simplified version of Covay's Mercy Mercy.

Date: September 19, 2016 18:58

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

That's a different lick.

The Stones ignored chords and did an easier and simplified version of Covay's Mercy Mercy.

Still funny to hear that Hendrix played these kind of intro licks in '64 already, and not in country style. In '67 he gave it a bit more of a rock feel.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-19 18:59 by DonParker.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 20, 2016 16:58

loog droog
GasLightStreet

There is a major difference between a great song hiding in an album and a hit single with hooks that you end up hearing being played in shops or on radios of cars driving by.

I like it, but it's just not the kind of song that would have been a hit in 1973.

You may not like Angie, but it went to #1 on the singles charts. So it's hard to argue that 100 Years Ago would have been a "better" single.

Of course 100 Years Ago wouldn't've gone to #1 like Angie did, which is the case for "better". Aside from that aspect, as good as Angie is, and it is excellent, it still sucks! 100 Years Ago is a million times better!

Date: September 20, 2016 17:06

GasLightStreet
loog droog
GasLightStreet

Of course 100 Years Ago wouldn't've gone to #1 like Angie did, which is the case for "better". Aside from that aspect, as good as Angie is, and it is excellent, it still sucks! 100 Years Ago is a million times better!

Ha ha grinning smiley I don't agree, but I know what you mean. Good description.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 20, 2016 17:33

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
loog droog
GasLightStreet

Ha ha grinning smiley I don't agree, but I know what you mean. Good description.

Yeah, I've had a love / hate thing for Angie ever since it came out. Sometimes I can get into it but most of the time it seems a bit too schmaltzy for The Rolling Stones. I, too would have preferred 100 Years Ago as the first single. It's catchy, it rocks out at the end; it could've worked!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: September 20, 2016 17:39

That's it, a love/hate for Angie. It is a great song. I just hate it. It's too schmaltzy. Look at what Mick said about it: It was definitely a change of pace for us, almost like a reaction to the harder sounds of Exile.

The problem is it's too much of a reaction to EXILE. Or even the wrong kind of reaction.

Date: September 20, 2016 17:49

GasLightStreet
That's it, a love/hate for Angie. It is a great song. I just hate it. It's too schmaltzy. Look at what Mick said about it: It was definitely a change of pace for us, almost like a reaction to the harder sounds of Exile.

The problem is it's too much of a reaction to EXILE. Or even the wrong kind of reaction.

As one reviewer at the time said, not verbatim but to my memory, "Soft lights and strings, indeed, Michael Phillip?"

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 20, 2016 18:03

They only did Angie to have a hit-song. But it is a shit-song. Exile produced no hit so they tried as hard as possible to create a chart-topper. They sacrificed their sound, their roots, their credibility, absolutely everything to have a chart-topping hit again. As they wanted a hit they´d never never ever released 100 as a single, 100 would have peaked at No 48 in the charts, I tell you.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 20, 2016 18:08

HMS
They only did Angie to have a hit-song. But it is a shit-song. Exile produced no hit so they tried as hard as possible to create a chart-topper. They sacrificed their sound, their roots, their credibility, absolutely everything to have a chart-topping hit again. As they wanted a hit they´d never never ever released 100 as a single, 100 would have peaked at No 48 in the charts, I tell you.

Angie is a great song. I could do without the strings, but it's a beautiful song. Not that unusual in their catalog, either -- they've always written ballads and all kinds of genres. It's pop music. If they could write another hit they would.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 20, 2016 18:13

Tumbling Dice reached #7 on the US charts and #5 in the UK - a hit by most anyone's standards.

As for Angie, I've always had a soft spot for the studio version.
Whether it was the right move to release it as a first single makes no difference to me.
Similar in vibe to Wild Horses, it's one of those Stones ballads that is timeless from my perspective.

Date: September 20, 2016 18:14

HMS

How interesting. You just described DIRTY WORK with perfection.

I suppose what you mean by saying "chart topper" is number one. You make it sound like Tumbling Dice wasn't a hit.

It was.

Therefore - and why you have to be corrected about this stuff is troll so obvious, EXILE had a hit.

Date: September 20, 2016 19:04

They´ve had so many No 1 hits before that No 5 or No 7 by Stones-standards looks like a failure. They wanted to be on top of the top again and so they sat down and created Angie, a tearjerker, strings attached and all just to appeal to as much people as possible outside their fanbase in order to reach No. 1. Imo, Angie was a very calculated thing. Just like Streets Of Love.

Although Angie turned out to be the huge hit they hoped for, they do not very often perform it live, that makes me think they are not so very fond of it.

Date: September 20, 2016 19:53

HMS

Although Angie turned out to be the huge hit they hoped for, they do not very often perform it live, that makes me think they are not so very fond of it.

They sounded quite inspired when they played it live in Brussels '73. They gave it all they got, heart and soul, Jagger & Taylor in particular.

Date: September 20, 2016 22:51

DonParker
HMS

They sounded quite inspired when they played it live in Brussels '73. They gave it all they got, heart and soul, Jagger & Taylor in particular.

I agree

Date: September 20, 2016 23:03

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 21, 2016 03:07

HMS
They only did Angie to have a hit-song.

No No.1 singles for them in UK since 1969/Honky Tonk Women. Ouch.

Date: September 21, 2016 18:51

Redhotcarpet
[youtu.be]

This is very good indeed. So much better without the schmaltz of the original studio version. Mick´s performance is very impressive and so is the guitar-playing. Is this the version we can hear on the official Brussel-download? Was it part of the first or the second performance?

Date: September 22, 2016 01:28

Im not sure have to check.cool smiley Fantastic version of the song and the band

Date: September 22, 2016 03:00

HMS
Redhotcarpet
[youtu.be]

This is very good indeed. So much better without the schmaltz of the original studio version. Mick´s performance is very impressive and so is the guitar-playing. Is this the version we can hear on the official Brussel-download? Was it part of the first or the second performance?

Speaking of Brussels..back @1974, I heard a radio broadcast (King Biscuit) of the Stones from 1973. Does anybody remember / know what the source of that recording was? If it wasn't Brussels, it was of equal quality. Wish I had taped it!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home