Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: Track Talk: 100 Years Ago (New)
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2016 23:07

Mathijs
100 Years Ago has the same problem as the entire GHS: it's a nice song, but it just doesn't grab you. It's mainly in the production, it just doesn't have the rock and roll and swing we expect from the Stones. Same with Dancing with MR. D, Heartbreaker and Star Star, which where all played much better live.

Mathijs

While I don't agree with you that 100 Years Ago doesn't 'grab you', I do think a lot of the album does suffer from sub par production, and Mr. D. and Star Star do work better on stage, though I've never been much of a fan of Heartbreaker. To each his own. I never thought of Mr. D. as very good until I finally got a hold of Brussels '73.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 4, 2016 13:44

It's a good song, but somehow the recording lacks conviction. It relies too much on the keyboard and the wah-wah and the solo-ing. It lacks a real groove, the main ingredient of all really great Stones songs. Also, it's one of those typical songs that don't work very well live.

Actually, I think this cover version, sent by retired_dog, is more convincing.
retired_dog
Has anybody here ever listened to this acoustic cover version of 100 Years Ago by Inyang Bassey and Binky Griptite?

[www.youtube.com]

I know it has been mentioned here on this site a couple of years ago, but it's well worth going back to it, last but not least to remind us what a great song it is.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2016 18:00

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
Coming Down Again starts nicely but runs out of gas very soon. After 1 min 30 unfortunately it starts getting very repetitive and oh so boring.

Imo, Hide Your Love is the hidden gem on GHS.

You know nothing about good songs.

You seem to love especially their most repetitive and boring songs just like Coming Down Again and most of all Thief In The Night. Little by little I get to know your musical taste.

Oh wow. You named two songs that aren't boring - except to a kook like you, who has awful taste in music. Repetitive? HA HA! Said someone that thinks the worst Rolling Stones album is great.

Few days ago I listened to the entire B2B-album, Thief In The Night (as always) was pure torture. I bet at least 7 out of 10 people would find it boring. Absolutely nothing moving post minute 1. Just a bunch of coyotes howling at the moon ("all the way baby, all the way").

I didn't listen to DIRTY WORK a few days ago. As always, it's pure torture even without listening to it.

As usual:

GasLightStreet

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 5, 2016 18:50

GasLightStreet

As usual:

GasLightStreet

You must be wrong. How can one be a Stones-fan and not knowing something about good songs as they have so many of them?

Date: September 5, 2016 18:54

GasLightStreet
I didn't listen to DIRTY WORK a few days ago. As always, it's pure torture even without listening to it.

For me torture would be not listening to DW for more than 2 weeks. The songs are addiction, I can´t clean them out of my veins.

Date: September 5, 2016 20:10

HMS
GasLightStreet

As usual:

GasLightStreet

You must be wrong. How can one be a Stones-fan and not knowing something about good songs as they have so many of them?

You can't answer that and have no answer for that because you know nothing about good songs.

Date: September 5, 2016 20:10

HMS
GasLightStreet

For me torture would be not listening to DW for more than 2 weeks. The songs are addiction, I can´t clean them out of my veins.

You're addicted to crap.

Date: September 5, 2016 21:23

GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

As usual:

GasLightStreet

You can't answer that and have no answer for that because you know nothing about good songs.

I´m a Stones-fan and love about 90% of their songs, so one might think that I know a bit about good songs. If I would know nothing about good songs I wouldn´t be a Stones-fan. I would be a fan of Survivor & REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Styx, Boston & Kansas.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 5, 2016 21:51

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

As usual:

GasLightStreet

I´m a Stones-fan and love about 90% of their songs, so one might think that I know a bit about good songs. If I would know nothing about good songs I wouldn´t be a Stones-fan. I would be a fan of Survivor & REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Styx, Boston & Kansas.

Good point, HMS! Even "bad" Stones songs are so much better than the best efforts of the dreck-producing bands you mention! Give me Dirty Work over any Styx album anytime!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 5, 2016 22:56

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

As usual:

GasLightStreet

I don't think you do, but hey, that's why they're called opinions.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: September 5, 2016 23:20

24FPS
Mathijs
100 Years Ago has the same problem as the entire GHS: it's a nice song, but it just doesn't grab you. It's mainly in the production, it just doesn't have the rock and roll and swing we expect from the Stones. Same with Dancing with MR. D, Heartbreaker and Star Star, which where all played much better live.

Mathijs

While I don't agree with you that 100 Years Ago doesn't 'grab you', I do think a lot of the album does suffer from sub par production, and Mr. D. and Star Star do work better on stage, though I've never been much of a fan of Heartbreaker. To each his own. I never thought of Mr. D. as very good until I finally got a hold of Brussels '73.

Recently picked up an old used vinyl copy of GHS as it's an album I've neglected a bit. So it's in the turntable now. 100 Years Ago is good without being outstanding - nice example (but not the best) of a Stones "bittersweet" song. The change of pace is a bit disconcerting.

Heartreaker is one that does actually grab me - each to his own as you say. Difficult to judge the production of GHS on my slightly crackly version but it doesn't seem too bad. How was the album received when it came out?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 6, 2016 00:22

JumpinJimF
24FPS
Mathijs

Mathijs

Recently picked up an old used vinyl copy of GHS as it's an album I've neglected a bit. So it's in the turntable now. 100 Years Ago is good without being outstanding - nice example (but not the best) of a Stones "bittersweet" song. The change of pace is a bit disconcerting.

Heartreaker is one that does actually grab me - each to his own as you say. Difficult to judge the production of GHS on my slightly crackly version but it doesn't seem too bad. How was the album received when it came out?

How was the album received when it came out?

I was disappointed........not that strange after they released 5 great records in a row.............
But compared waht they released the last 20 years it's great...........

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 6, 2016 17:39

JumpinJimF
24FPS
Mathijs

Mathijs

I just found a good original vinyl copy the other day as well. I've always liked the album more than most, but I was surprised at how much better it sounded, and how much more information I picked up, listening to it on record, as opposed to CD.

Re: Track Talk: 100 Years Ago
Date: September 6, 2016 18:25

100 Years Ago stands in the same arena as Gimme Shelter, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Time Waits For No One, Slave, Down In The Hole, Tie You Up, Turd On The Run etc as an outstanding album track that is in a class of its own, something they haven't really done since 1983 other than How Can I Stop (and maybe She Saw Me Coming or Dangerous Beauty or Laugh, I Nearly Died).

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 6, 2016 19:00

A great track from a great album.......

Date: September 6, 2016 19:37

GasLightStreet
100 Years Ago stands in the same arena as Gimme Shelter, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Time Waits For No One, Slave, Down In The Hole, Tie You Up, Turd On The Run etc as an outstanding album track that is in a class of its own, something they haven't really done since 1983 other than How Can I Stop (and maybe She Saw Me Coming or Dangerous Beauty or Laugh, I Nearly Died).

The rest of what you say I can more or less follow (although I don't think "100 Years Ago" reaches quite the level of the best songs you mention), but... "She Saw Me Coming" and "Dangerous Beauty"? Really?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 6, 2016 20:15

All the songs on Goats Head Soup are special to me as it was the very first album I ever bought. My Stones fanaticism was quickly being cemented in place! 100 Years Ago is a great track!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: September 8, 2016 03:18

matxil
GasLightStreet

The rest of what you say I can more or less follow (although I don't think "100 Years Ago" reaches quite the level of the best songs you mention), but... "She Saw Me Coming" and "Dangerous Beauty"? Really?

Yes. Really. 100 Years Ago is one of those songs. The BANG tunes, yeah, a bit soft, I know, in comparison, but spanning their 1968-2005 output is what I had in mind. And I like those songs. I included Gimme Shelter because it's an album track and "one of those tracks" that is just... Monkey Man and Let It Bleed as well, etc.

Look at it as a rounding out of their discography.

Date: September 8, 2016 12:00

GasLightStreet
matxil
GasLightStreet

Yes. Really. 100 Years Ago is one of those songs. The BANG tunes, yeah, a bit soft, I know, in comparison, but spanning their 1968-2005 output is what I had in mind. And I like those songs. I included Gimme Shelter because it's an album track and "one of those tracks" that is just... Monkey Man and Let It Bleed as well, etc.

If I would make a list of "outstanding tracks in a class of their own", and would be forced to include songs from after Tattoo You, I would say "Tie You Up", "One Hit" (yeah, I know, but still), and "Thief In The Night" (although I would consider that rather a Keith solo track). There are some other songs I like very much, but to be calling them "in a class of their own" would be pushing it.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: September 8, 2016 12:52

StonesCat
JumpinJimF
24FPS
Mathijs

Mathijs

I just found a good original vinyl copy the other day as well. I've always liked the album more than most, but I was surprised at how much better it sounded, and how much more information I picked up, listening to it on record, as opposed to CD.

I don't prefer one format over the other, but you're right about hearing different things - my secondhand copy (found on holiday in the US recently) has the version of Star Star that was "interfered with". Very funny - such a bad edit I thought it was a needle jump at first.

Date: September 8, 2016 16:24

matxil
GasLightStreet
matxil
GasLightStreet

If I would make a list of "outstanding tracks in a class of their own", and would be forced to include songs from after Tattoo You, I would say "Tie You Up", "One Hit" (yeah, I know, but still), and "Thief In The Night" (although I would consider that rather a Keith solo track). There are some other songs I like very much, but to be calling them "in a class of their own" would be pushing it.

Really Good Album Tracks? Essentially, the non-singles that are good or goodly memorable songs (which is why you probably said "yeah, I know" about One Hit).

Date: September 8, 2016 19:22

About One Hit one should say "Yessssss, I know!!!!" instead of "Yeah, I know...".
One of their best tracks post Black And Blue.

Any Stones-album has at least one underrated treasure, like BB´s Jigsaw Puzzle, like Black And Blue´s Melody, like Steel Wheel´s Break The Spell and on and on.

GHS´s underrated treasure is Hide Your Love.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 8, 2016 23:41

To express an opinion eventually in this track talk thread: As far as I can remember after having read this thread from time to time, Dandelion had the best articulated point of view. "100 Years Ago" is one of the deep songs of the Rolling Stones treasury. Myself I want to add not one of the very best songs on GOATS HEAD SOUP. The very best are "Coming Down Again", the second best Stones song with Keith on vocals (only "You Got the Silver" as even better among those), and behind that, "Can You Hear the Music" and, unavoidably, "Angie". Among the very good songs on the album, I consider "100 Years Ago". In addition to Dandelion's 'deep track', I would like to add, an immense proof of the rich diversity of the Rolling Stones, a fact to praise the band for.

["Hide Your Love" presented outside the context of the slbum, made me realize that the song is somewhat better than how it emerges on the album to me. Still somehow, to me " Silver Train" and "Hide Your Love" are the two songs that make this album, an album even more important than how good it is, to some extent fall apart to me as listener.]

Date: September 9, 2016 17:25

HMS
About One Hit one should say "Yessssss, I know!!!!" instead of "Yeah, I know...".

One Hit is not a good album track. It doesn't belong in the same sentence as Gimme Shelter, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Rocks Off and 100 Years Ago.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 10, 2016 16:05

That song needs to be incinerated.ohtb
hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-10 16:06 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 11, 2016 13:48

GasLightStreet
100 Years Ago stands in the same arena as Gimme Shelter...

Step away from the crack pipe. Wow.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: September 11, 2016 19:53

Cool track, I have always had a soft spot for many songs on Goats head soup,
esp 100 Years Ago.

Went out walking in the...

Date: September 13, 2016 17:20

It's too bad this wasn't released as a single and that tear jerker Angie was. It would've been a thousand times better single.

Date: September 13, 2016 17:55

You usually release singles containing tracks that have hit-potential. Angie, although horrible to my ears, has it. 100 doesn´t, it is a typical album-track.
Mick knew that very well.

Date: September 17, 2016 22:47

HMS
You usually release singles containing tracks that have hit-potential. Angie, although horrible to my ears, has it. 100 doesn´t, it is a typical album-track.
Mick knew that very well.

100 Years Ago certainly does have hit-potential. It's a great song. It was completely different from anything they'd released between 1968 and 1972. Atlantic Records thought sap was better and went with Angie. It would've fit in perfectly at the time considering Zep's two not typical rock song singles that year from HOUSES OF THE HOLY.

They were only doing 2 singles an album from STICKY FINGERS through BLACK AND BLUE. It wasn't until SOME GIRLS that they broke that mold. The only LPs to have more than 2 singles have been SOME GIRLS, TATTOO YOU, UNDERCOVER, STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG.

In the 1960s ROLLING STONES NO. 2 UK edition, OUT OF OUR HEADS UK edition, AFTERMATH UK edition, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS UK edition and LIB had zero singles and BEGGARS had one.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home