Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: Track Talk: 100 Years Ago (New)
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 29, 2016 20:20

runaway
100 Years Ago is a favourite track of mine from the album "Goats Head Soup", the tempo changes and Mick's vocals and Mick Taylor's great guitar solo make it shine.

Yes, an essential Stones track. thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 29, 2016 21:24

Way back when Goats Head was first released my good
old friend Louie always reckoned Mick was singing the line .....

Call me lizard balls
Ain't got no time to waste away
Lizard balls ain't got no time to waste away

We still roll on the floor about that one ...... Love ya Louie

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: August 29, 2016 23:22

GasLightStreet
Perhaps or arguably the best song on GOATS HEAD SOUP it is certainly a great track on a fantastic album. It's criminal that it's been completely ignored by the band.

smileys with beer Great song from a great album

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 29, 2016 23:34

I remember being alarmed the first time I heard the song. They seemed to be looking back and thinking about packing it in. (Like they should have after Steel Wheels). It appeared that Exile was going to be the absolute peak (eventually it was considered so) and that they were burnt out and had enough.

I still think they should have made the effort to have Bill on as many songs as possible.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 30, 2016 01:39

It's a wonderful song and always a joy to listen to.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 30, 2016 03:05

shortfatfanny
It's a wonderful song and always a joy to listen to.

This.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 30, 2016 04:12

Rockman

Call me lizard balls

That works too!

As mentioned in the GHS thread, this was my favorite back in the day, when I first got this album. But for some reason, I find it hard to listen to now, it no longer does anything for me.

As some say of other tracks, this one did not stand the test of time, at least for me.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 30, 2016 12:32

Rehearsing it in Rotterdam 1973:

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 30, 2016 12:32

Btw, I thought Bill played bass on Hide Your Love.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 30, 2016 18:11

LieB

Me too.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 30, 2016 18:59

TravelinMan
LieB

Me too.

Never mind, just listened to it! It's definitely different than what I imagine Bill Wyman would play.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 30, 2016 19:07

100 Years Ago and Heartbreaker are the best songs on GHS (unless you're an Angie fan) and thanks to Billy's clavinet they sound kinda similar but more than that they are astoundingly different than anything found on Exile (or anything that was to follow for that matter). Very unique songs in the Stones canon.

Love this tune but I think 100 Years Ago could use another verse = I hate giving up this song to 'Lazybones.' It goes to shit after that IMO.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 30, 2016 20:35

LieB

They should had made a 2 hour documentary of this rehearsal..................

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 30, 2016 20:49

NICOS
LieB

They should had made a 2 hour documentary of this rehearsal..................

It will be on the 2018 Super Duper Deluxe Edition, no worries mate…..smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: August 31, 2016 03:28

One of my favorite bridges......"Call me lazy bones" . Which from this moment on will be referred to as "Liaed balls"...LOL....I bet we could have a great thread on misinterpreted Stones lyrics!

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 31, 2016 07:39

100 Years Ago is a favourite track of mine too, I never get bored of playing it!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 31, 2016 20:07

Swayed1967
100 Years Ago and Heartbreaker are the best songs on GHS (unless you're an Angie fan) and thanks to Billy's clavinet they sound kinda similar but more than that they are astoundingly different than anything found on Exile (or anything that was to follow for that matter). Very unique songs in the Stones canon.

Love this tune but I think 100 Years Ago could use another verse = I hate giving up this song to 'Lazybones.' It goes to shit after that IMO.

That coda is what makes you want to listen to the song again...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 31, 2016 20:51

id have to include Comin Down Again in with Heartbreaker and 100 Years Ago, in the

'best songs on GHS' category..

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 31, 2016 21:18

Coming Down Again starts nicely but runs out of gas very soon. After 1 min 30 unfortunately it starts getting very repetitive and oh so boring.

Imo, Hide Your Love is the hidden gem on GHS.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 31, 2016 21:31

HMS

I must agree and have to add Silver Train. thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 31, 2016 21:50

"Coming Down Again starts nicely but runs out of gas very soon. After 1 min 30 unfortunately it starts getting very repetitive and oh so boring. "

if that sax dont thrill you after all that Stones style soul, then too bad ..

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 1, 2016 04:42

Has anybody here ever listened to this acoustic cover version of 100 Years Ago by Inyang Bassey and Binky Griptite?

[www.youtube.com]

I know it has been mentioned here on this site a couple of years ago, but it's well worth going back to it, last but not least to remind us what a great song it is.

Date: September 1, 2016 08:09

GasLightStreet
Swayed1967

That coda is what makes you want to listen to the song again...

Yeah it’s a coda technically but it’s also one of many instances where the boys can’t decide on an ending so Jagger just starts repeating the same thing over and over in a fade out (and the more incoherently the better it would seem) - same as Through The Lonely Nights, Plundered My Soul, Fool To Cry, Don’t Stop, Mixed Emotions etc. That’s just off the top of my head. Sometimes it works, sometimes it’s lame. I prefer songs that end in a bang a la Mother’s Little Helper and Shattered. But then I’m a dancer...

Date: September 1, 2016 08:35

HMS
Coming Down Again starts nicely but runs out of gas very soon. After 1 min 30 unfortunately it starts getting very repetitive and oh so boring.

Boring? No. It’s definitely a rainy day song better appreciated by junkies and youthful romantics, but it’s not boring. It’s a song you have to let pull you down (or pull you in?) or there’s little point in listening to it. Sometimes you have to take the music seriously, HMS, and submit to its demands; those who are unable to do that run the risk of becoming a deranged nut who talks up Dirty Work each and every day of the year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-01 08:36 by Swayed1967.

Date: September 1, 2016 18:36

HMS

You know nothing about good songs.

Date: September 1, 2016 22:04

GasLightStreet
HMS

You seem to love especially their most repetitive and boring songs just like Coming Down Again and most of all Thief In The Night. Little by little I get to know your musical taste.

Date: September 3, 2016 04:13

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS

You seem to love especially their most repetitive and boring songs just like Coming Down Again and most of all Thief In The Night. Little by little I get to know your musical taste.

Oh wow. You named two songs that aren't boring - except to a kook like you, who has awful taste in music. Repetitive? HA HA! Said someone that thinks the worst Rolling Stones album is great.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 3, 2016 09:53

100 Years Ago has the same problem as the entire GHS: it's a nice song, but it just doesn't grab you. It's mainly in the production, it just doesn't have the rock and roll and swing we expect from the Stones. Same with Dancing with MR. D, Heartbreaker and Star Star, which where all played much better live.

Mathijs

Date: September 3, 2016 12:21

GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS

Oh wow. You named two songs that aren't boring - except to a kook like you, who has awful taste in music. Repetitive? HA HA! Said someone that thinks the worst Rolling Stones album is great.

Few days ago I listened to the entire B2B-album, Thief In The Night (as always) was pure torture. I bet at least 7 out of 10 people would find it boring. Absolutely nothing moving post minute 1. Just a bunch of coyotes howling at the moon ("all the way baby, all the way").

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: September 3, 2016 22:11

Mathijs
100 Years Ago has the same problem as the entire GHS: it's a nice song, but it just doesn't grab you. It's mainly in the production, it just doesn't have the rock and roll and swing we expect from the Stones.
Mathijs

I feel quite the opposite : it grabs me, both in the studio and live. Actually it proves that the Stones can sound great even without Keith on guitar. And listen to Vienna '73, 100 years ago rocks like hell with Keith being almost inaudible. Billy Preston does the trick here, together with the amazing rhythm section Watts/ Wyman.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home