Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: 100 Years Ago (piano demo)
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 10, 2020 19:50

ChrisM42
For what it's worth...

This whole track including the piano playing sounds 2020 to me.

Jagger can play this way on his own as evidenced in solo and band outtakes.

Chris M.

I'm thinking so, as well, and the keyboard doesn't sound like a keyboard/piano from the 70s, but from modern times. And by doing overdubbing the piano one time, adding them little notes, Mick could be playing everything. And I agree with Powderman, Nicky Hopkins would be playing a lot more complicated if he would be doing it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 10, 2020 20:33

Erik_Snow
ChrisM42
For what it's worth...

Chris M.

I'm thinking so, as well, and the keyboard doesn't sound like a keyboard/piano from the 70s, but from modern times. And by doing overdubbing the piano one time, adding them little notes, Mick could be playing everything. And I agree with Powderman, Nicky Hopkins would be playing a lot more complicated if he would be doing it.

I wouldn't put it past him. Wasn't it obvious that Following the River was a completely new tune for the Exile deluxe?

(yes, i am aware it's not the same as a demo ... before everyone jumps on this - just saying it is possible, that is all)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 10, 2020 20:39

LeonidP
I wouldn't put it past him. Wasn't it obvious that Following the River was a completely new tune for the Exile deluxe?

Yes, indeed, but in these covid-19 times; what's better than doing everything, oneself?

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: September 10, 2020 21:08

ChrisM42
For what it's worth...

Chris M.

I am with you. For sure it´s NOT Nicky Hopkins playing the main-piano part. He has a very different style and piano tuch - just listen to the songs we know for sure it IS Nicky on piano.
And yes, the sound of the piano is way too modern. Sounds more like a (good) keybord instead of a real piano or grand.
For me it´s Jagger alone at home (maybe during the lockdown era) playing a very relaxed and cool version of a song he found while knowing "there will gonna be a deluxe-set up for goats heads soup" - and that´s perfectly ok!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 10, 2020 21:13

If it’s Jagger rather than Nicky, why would they give Nicky a performance credit? They don’t even give Ronnie that much credit these days. It’s Nicky...

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 10, 2020 21:19

Both Mick and Nicky are credited for piano. Two piano parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-10 21:22 by Topi.

Date: September 10, 2020 21:25

Topi
Both Mick and Nicky are credited for piano.

But honestly, there are three bass players and Jim Horn on flute for "Dancing with Mr. D" (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix)...
I wouldn`t rely on the credits - but on my ears (as a musician & pianist):-)

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 10, 2020 21:48

No way is this 2020 vocals. I'm sorry, have you listened to Following the River and Plundered My Soul? All the Rage? Do you know what Jagger sounds like these days?

Also, "the piano doesn't sound 1972". These engineers are using 2020 software plug-ins to mix these songs. It's not hard to alter a source if you're working with the multi-tracks, which they are.

It's definitely two people on piano, whether an overdub or two on the same piano. It could be Jagger and Richards, or it could be Jagger and Hopkins. The parts aren't incredibly hard. Hell, it could be Jagger and Taylor.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 10, 2020 21:51

FoolToCry
Topi

But honestly, there are three bass players and Jim Horn on flute for "Dancing with Mr. D" (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix)...

If you can’t hear the flute in Mr D, I question your ears! It backs the slow dangerous guitar riff! Very Tull!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 10, 2020 22:14

2020 Mick does a good impression of GHS era Mick, but there are some tells.

Date: September 10, 2020 22:50

Munichhilton
FoolToCry
Topi

If you can’t hear the flute in Mr D, I question your ears! It backs the slow dangerous guitar riff! Very Tull!

Now that u mention it...but. No. No Flute at all :-)

Date: September 10, 2020 23:01

TravelinMan
No way is this 2020 vocals. I'm sorry, have you listened to Following the River and Plundered My Soul? All the Rage? Do you know what Jagger sounds like these days?

Also, "the piano doesn't sound 1972". These engineers are using 2020 software plug-ins to mix these songs. It's not hard to alter a source if you're working with the multi-tracks, which they are.

It's definitely two people on piano, whether an overdub or two on the same piano. It could be Jagger and Richards, or it could be Jagger and Hopkins. The parts aren't incredibly hard. Hell, it could be Jagger and Taylor.

You´re right with changing the sound - but the thing is: you can´t change the "feel" how the piano was played. And that´s Jagger for sure. The main piano. If you listen to "Hide your love" - the same way of playing and the same touch on the piano.
And yes, the other person is someone else. it doesn't have to be a good piano player - it´s not that difficult :-)

Date: September 11, 2020 01:34

ryanpow
2020 Mick does a good impression of GHS era Mick, but there are some tells.

Apparently not on All the Rage though?

Date: September 11, 2020 01:35

FoolToCry
TravelinMan

You´re right with changing the sound - but the thing is: you can´t change the "feel" how the piano was played. And that´s Jagger for sure. The main piano. If you listen to "Hide your love" - the same way of playing and the same touch on the piano.
And yes, the other person is someone else. it doesn't have to be a good piano player - it´s not that difficult :-)

I agree Jagger is on there. The other person is a mystery. Maybe Jagger and Richards made a demo to emulate Hopkins?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 11, 2020 21:55

What's your interpretation of the 'just gazin' at some dragon in the sky' lyric?

As a teenage stoner in the 90s when I first heard it, it meant looking up at the clouds and seeing different shapes. What was Jags trying to say?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 11, 2020 22:36

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-11 22:36 by ryanpow.

Date: September 11, 2020 22:48

peoplewitheyes
What's your interpretation of the 'just gazin' at some dragon in the sky' lyric?

As a teenage stoner in the 90s when I first heard it, it meant looking up at the clouds and seeing different shapes. What was Jags trying to say?

That's the way I took it.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 11, 2020 22:51

It also makes me think of that poster from the Cardiff and Pembroke castles shows in 1973.

Was anybody at those concerts? Care to share some recollections?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-11 22:52 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 11, 2020 23:12

peoplewitheyes
It also makes me think of that poster from the Cardiff and Pembroke castles shows in 1973.

Was anybody at those concerts? Care to share some recollections?

I wasn't but I did see a dog's head in the clouds the other day. smiling smiley

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 12, 2020 00:26

Finally listened to it, fantastic! I dare day I like it better than the official version.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 12, 2020 00:36

kovach
Finally listened to it, fantastic! I dare day I like it better than the official version.

that's right -it's the gem of this collection.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 12, 2020 01:16

Chris Fountain
kovach

that's right -it's the gem of this collection.

That is true, it is brilliant indeed.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 12, 2020 01:19

TravelinMan
peoplewitheyes

It could be a Game of Thrones reference ... that is if lyrics were from 2020!!!

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 12, 2020 09:51

TravelinMan
peoplewitheyes

Dragon constellation

Posted by: frtylicks ()
Date: September 23, 2020 17:36

Has anybody noticed the sound skip at about 11 seconds. I believe it is on the master recording. Just wanted to see if anybody else had noticed.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2020 17:46

peoplewitheyes

Chasing the dragon is a drug reference - could mean that

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: Track Talk: 100 Years Ago
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 24, 2020 10:28

According to Jagger its him and Keith on piano. Vocals are 1970's to me. But it doesn't sound like a demo to me, it sounds like something they did after they wrote and recorded the track.

Funny thing is that some collectors had this version for several years, but discarded it as solo Mick Jagger from the 80's....

Mathijs

Re: Track Talk: 100 Years Ago
Date: July 31, 2021 19:13

Mathijs
According to Jagger its him and Keith on piano. Vocals are 1970's to me. But it doesn't sound like a demo to me, it sounds like something they did after they wrote and recorded the track.

Funny thing is that some collectors had this version for several years, but discarded it as solo Mick Jagger from the 80's....

Mathijs

Interesting take. I can’t believe that’s them on piano but maybe so. Some of the higher stuff sounds like it’s Hopkins, or at least influenced by him.

100 Years Ago
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 21, 2022 23:13

Too bad they only played this song twice on the 1973 tour.The Mannheim and Vienna performances are great with lousy bootleg sound.This song is one of my favorites.It could have even been played during the Wood years also, because I think it suits Woods style of playing. It would have been better on the 1973 tour than Dancing With Mr D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-21 23:18 by Taylor1.

Re: 100 Years Ago
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 21, 2022 23:41

One of my favorites as well. Love it even more since the GHS Super Deluxe came out.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1157
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home