Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: 100 Years Ago (piano demo)
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 9, 2020 07:34

dcba
Doxa

But now listening it 'naked', to me it is one of the most beautiful, best-written, reflective songs they ever have done.

- Doxa

Agreed totally but... isn't it a 100% solo Jagger effort? It's in the same league as YCAGWYW, a proof that Mick is a massively under-rated songwriter?

I mean this piano "100 Years Ago" is up there with Dylan circa 65-66.

good points all around...this version changes a lot of perceptions for me..

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 9, 2020 09:44

Taylor1
dcba
JordyLicks96
Nah it's definitely Mick from the '72 era. Why would he add new vocals to a demo? Anyway this an absolute gem from the reissue. He sings this demo with even more heart than the finished version.

thumbs up And (I'm going to irate Taylorites) in retrospect MT's contribution to the final song sounds a bit overbearing and a tad annoying.
. If the demo had been on Goatshead Soup in 1973 and the original Taylor version wasn’t released until now you’d be saying the opposite.Lets see how the demo wears over the years.Taylors solo and the jam is great.And the demo is too.Apples to oranges.There was a cover of this song by an African American folk duo .You can find it on you tube which is terrific ,also.Similiar in mood to the demo.But Taylor’s guitar playing throughout the original is fantastic

Yep, you have a point here. It is the freshness and simplicity of the piano version that charms now. And because it simply is great and works in its differentness. But we have listened the original for decades and get used to it. Who knows, if not even bored with it (I don't). The original is absolutely awesome as well, containing incredible musicianship and a fascinating arrangement. One of my favourite Stones tracks ever, actually. And yes, we probably would make similar praising comments if it would be the other way round. 'Why didn't they release this exciting, rich musical exercise, full of awesome ideas and playing, instead of this simple, one-dimensional piano ballad version?'grinning smiley

But great to have it both now!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-09 10:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 9, 2020 11:00

Here are the parts from "Uncut" I talked about:

(From Mick's interview)

"I had this piano tune, '100 Years Ago'. There's a version of just me playing it on my own, but I think Keith is playing on the top end of that as well.

So Uncut then took that vague quote and proceeded to review the GHS re-issue, saying:

Of the alternate takes, the piano demo for "100 Years Ago" is genuinely striking - not just for Jagger's dramatic reading of the lyrics but for the duet between Jagger and Richards, playing different melodies at each end of the piano.

So that's all. Mick just "thought" it was Keith. And Uncut never "thought" about checking the credits? winking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 9, 2020 11:05

The released version is indeed a great track and instantly likable, maybe too instantly and when compared to the demo it makes all the chord changes a bit "obvious" a typical "Mick song" (the exception being Moonlight Mile and it's "droning" quality) versus Keith's more elaborate constructions.

As for those still looking for "proof" that the demo might be "faked" it's not really surprising that he's not calling out chord changes like in other demos since there's no one else to "direct" apart from possibly Nicky (or Keith...) and chances are they'd run through it a couple of times already and Nicky had likely memorized the structure after the first listen.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 9, 2020 11:08

So, Jagger thought he remembers Richards adding a guitar to Jagger's piano, and Uncut took it as they were both playing the piano. OK, that settles it. But I do doubt that the version we hear on GHS deluxe is that version. It's not Jagger playing the piano, and I gotta say I have my doubts about when that vocal was done.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 9, 2020 11:11

Where's george when we need 'im ... ????????????

ROCKMAN

Date: September 9, 2020 12:34

Erik_Snow
So, Jagger thought he remembers Richards adding a guitar to Jagger's piano, and Uncut took it as they were both playing the piano. OK, that settles it. But I do doubt that the version we hear on GHS deluxe is that version. It's not Jagger playing the piano, and I gotta say I have my doubts about when that vocal was done.

I read it as Keith played on the top end of the piano, with Mick. No guitar.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 9, 2020 12:44

Just had my first listen - love it!

This and Scarlet are going to get a lot of airplay in my home.

Date: September 9, 2020 12:48

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

Maybe, I really can't tell what he meant, but in either case that can't be what's released officially

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 9, 2020 13:08

The duo of Bassey and Griptite did a nice version of 100years ago which is nothing like the officially released version.It is similar to the piano demo in mood and approach . You can see it on you tube.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 9, 2020 13:11

MelBelli
Taylor1
I hope it’s not Mick 2020 with piano by Matt Clifford or Chuck 2020

Definitely Mick on piano. Sounds quite a bit like Memory Motel and Fool to Cry (same key).

100 Years Ago, Memory Motel, Fool to Cry.. Mick made such great songs in the 70s, I wonder why his solo albums were so bad compared to his earlier stuff

Date: September 9, 2020 13:39

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

Maybe, I really can't tell what he meant, but in either case that can't be what's released officially

I think some of the chords are too intricate to be Mick. Then again, Nicky usually adds even more to chords like these - so...

Date: September 9, 2020 13:55

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

I think some of the chords are too intricate to be Mick. Then again, Nicky usually adds even more to chords like these - so...

I'll might get flamed for this, but how about......2020 Mick......and...Chuck ? RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRuns for cover......................

Date: September 9, 2020 14:01

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

I'll might get flamed for this, but how about......2020 Mick......and...Chuck ? RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRuns for cover......................

Noooo! grinning smiley

In my mind, I can hear Chuck sneak in those country-fills every other second. No way.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 9, 2020 14:25

I mentioned earlier in this post Mick 2020 and Chuck or Matt Clifford2020? Hopefully not

Date: September 9, 2020 15:22

I can't understand why anyone thinks Mick's voice here sounds even remotely like his 2020-voice? Hint: His voice is much deeper now.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 9, 2020 15:49

This sounds like 1970’s Jagger vocal (mixed with 2020 technology) with Nicky Hopkins on piano. Perhaps Jagger is playing some very rudimentary chords in order to show Hopkins the changes. When I first heard it, I thought Hopkins. I mean it’s so clean and the use of the pedals sounds like an actual pianist.

I think the credits are correct for the bonus cuts (much like Exile) except for the Glyn Johns mixes which look like somebody just pasted in the entirety of the GHS credits.

“Those credits should be the same as the album.”

“Oh, okay, I’ll just copy ‘em over.”

What a joke. Where is the quality control on that? Also, isn’t that the engineer Mikey Chung in the book, but he’s named Byron Lee?

Date: September 9, 2020 17:03

<Except for the Glyn Johns mixes which look like somebody just pasted in the entirety of the GHS credits>

Yeah, three basses, three pianos, flute and harp - on one song (a song that doesn't have piano, flute or harp) smiling smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 9, 2020 19:42

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

It’s almost all Mick.

Nicky is playing fills higher up with right hand. I think you hear him enter at around :30.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 9, 2020 19:49

MelBelli

It’s almost all Mick.

Nicky is playing fills higher up with right hand. I think you hear him enter at around :30.

According to you it's :

- an overdub?
- Nicky and Mick playing together on one piano?
- on two pianos facing each other?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-09 21:42 by dcba.

Date: September 9, 2020 20:35

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

It’s almost all Mick.

But Mick said Keith played on the top end... Then again, we don't know if he was talking about this particular version.

BTW, is that first chord really something Mick would do in 1972/73? And are the top end-licks too 'simple' to be Nicky?

I don't know. I wish Mick remembered this smiling smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 9, 2020 20:37

If I had to guess, I’d say overdub.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: September 10, 2020 00:26

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
gotdablouse

Why do i "think" it could be 2020? Nothing definite, but just that it seems too polished, all lyrics, no guide vocals, or counting, etc. Again, not concluding anything, just debating...

EXACTLY my thoughts. When have the Stones ever had a demo like this? Either way, I love it. This will probably be my go-to version of this song.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 10, 2020 02:34

all I know is every time I come back to this alt version I am stunned by its beauty and shocked at Micks underrated writing skills....wow...the song is brilliant.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 10, 2020 05:21

That sounds great for 1920.

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: September 10, 2020 08:42

100% original early 70's version, no edits.

Hendrik

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 10, 2020 18:57

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

It’s almost all Mick.

But Mick said Keith played on the top end... Then again, we don't know if he was talking about this particular version.

BTW, is that first chord really something Mick would do in 1972/73? And are the top end-licks too 'simple' to be Nicky?

I don't know. I wish Mick remembered this smiling smiley

It sounds like something straight off of Tinman was a Dreamer.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 10, 2020 19:06

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

Thats deffintly Nicky on piano. This is not Mick You are right.

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: September 10, 2020 19:07

For what it's worth...

This whole track including the piano playing sounds 2020 to me.

Jagger can play this way on his own as evidenced in solo and band outtakes.

Chris M.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-10 19:08 by ChrisM42.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 10, 2020 19:37

Taylor1
The duo of Bassey and Griptite did a nice version of 100years ago which is nothing like the officially released version.It is similar to the piano demo in mood and approach . You can see it on you tube.

Stunning version, I would say!

[youtu.be]

Discovered Griptite For his work with the Dap Kings through Amy whinehouse”s and Sharon Jones’ records

Wonderful soul!

C

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home