Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: 100 Years Ago (piano demo)
Date: September 8, 2020 12:15

This is NOT new vocals.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 8, 2020 13:55

What needs to be done is to have YT videos of the same song with 1973 vocals and the other with 2020 vocals and then analyze.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 8, 2020 13:59

edit: I misunderstood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-09 11:00 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2020 14:04

What needs to be done is to have YT videos of the same song with 1973 vocals and the other with 2020 vocals and then analyze.

Okay we'll wait here while ya sync 'em up ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 8, 2020 14:15

Wouldn't Dancing with Mr D be a good start for the study?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2020 14:17

.... yeah okay .... Mr D with funk up the class ...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 8, 2020 14:21

So If I post the 1973 studio version and the new reissue version - we could compare. Then we go back the piano demo and see which is closer in voice sound.

Then issue a report.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 14:23 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 8, 2020 14:25

Hairball
Not sure if those credits can be trusted as there's lots of mis-info. sprinkled throughout.

In "Uncut", Mick says it's Keith on the other piano part.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 8, 2020 15:27

JordyLicks96
Nah it's definitely Mick from the '72 era. Why would he add new vocals to a demo? Anyway this an absolute gem from the reissue. He sings this demo with even more heart than the finished version.

thumbs up And (I'm going to irate Taylorites) in retrospect MT's contribution to the final song sounds a bit overbearing and a tad annoying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 15:52 by dcba.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 8, 2020 15:43

Chris Fountain
So If I post the 1973 studio version and the new reissue version - we could compare. Then we go back the piano demo and see which is closer in voice sound.

Then issue a report.

The two versions were possibly cut as much as 5 months apart. Its not as if they were recorded in the same week.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 8, 2020 15:57

I'm all for not taking stuff at "face value" but WTF would they release a DEMO with a new vocal, it makes ZERO sense !!! Like someone said in the "JAPAN GHS(2020 SDX) ONLY 2 BONUSES" no wonder some "stuff" has happened ;-)

Anyway this is a really a wonderful insight they're giving us. I've always liked this song but like dcba says it now seems it was sort of "bastardized" on the record with Billy's clavinet (ans I'm a sucker for clavinet !) all over the place. The production is "over the top" and treated differently, say like Angie, it could have been a "classic" of sorts...but they already had Angie !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 8, 2020 16:33

gotdablouse
I'm all for not taking stuff at "face value" but WTF would they release a DEMO with a new vocal, it makes ZERO sense !!!

Haven't they done this before? w/ the other Deluxe releases?

Date: September 8, 2020 16:34

Gazza
Chris Fountain

Then issue a report.

The two versions were possibly cut as much as 5 months apart. Its not as if they were recorded in the same week.

I'm trying to figure out this conversation, which spans not only this magnificent piano demo but the entire reissue collection. There is a lot of talk about 2020 voice versus 1973 voice on this website. I really don't care but having the facts is good to know - Thanks for the post!!! always great to hear from ya!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2020 16:50

Yeah, gotdablouse, it sounds like they didn't want to do just another pretty ballad, and especially as there were many other slow songs in the album, so they wanted to spice it up. To cover it with some current hot flavor. Especially the whole funky jam part is like added to it to make a totally different impression. The piano demo naturally ends up with the phrase "Don't you think it's just about time to hide away", but then in the album version they really don't hide away at all...

But now listening it 'naked', to me it is one of the most beautiful, best-written, reflective songs they ever have done.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 16:54 by Doxa.

Date: September 8, 2020 17:32

The opening lyrics have always been heart reaching as it is metamorphic if not literal in context: "Went out walking through the Woods the other day........" We have all been there.

Later in the song I love the smooth lyrical transition, capturing "just call me Lazy Bones" which may be too pronounced in the regular version. Also these last lyrics is where the song needs to end.

I can't say enough about the phenomenal piano work in this song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 17:35 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 8, 2020 18:15

Doxa
Yeah, gotdablouse, it sounds like they didn't want to do just another pretty ballad, and especially as there were many other slow songs in the album, so they wanted to spice it up. To cover it with some current hot flavor. Especially the whole funky jam part is like added to it to make a totally different impression. The piano demo naturally ends up with the phrase "Don't you think it's just about time to hide away", but then in the album version they really don't hide away at all...

But now listening it 'naked', to me it is one of the most beautiful, best-written, reflective songs they ever have done.

- Doxa

Well said.
Tough competition as well just on this album alone with "Winter".

Date: September 8, 2020 19:06

Totally different feel -

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 8, 2020 19:07

Doxa

- Doxa

Agreed totally but... isn't it a 100% solo Jagger effort? It's in the same league as YCAGWYW, a proof that Mick is a massively under-rated songwriter?

I mean this piano "100 Years Ago" is up there with Dylan circa 65-66.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 8, 2020 19:09

dcba
JordyLicks96
Nah it's definitely Mick from the '72 era. Why would he add new vocals to a demo? Anyway this an absolute gem from the reissue. He sings this demo with even more heart than the finished version.

thumbs up And (I'm going to irate Taylorites) in retrospect MT's contribution to the final song sounds a bit overbearing and a tad annoying.
. If the demo had been on Goatshead Soup in 1973 and the original Taylor version wasn’t released until now you’d be saying the opposite.Lets see how the demo wears over the years.Taylors solo and the jam is great.And the demo is too.Apples to oranges.There was a cover of this song by an African American folk duo .You can find it on you tube which is terrific ,also.Similiar in mood to the demo.But Taylor’s guitar playing throughout the original is fantastic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 19:11 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 8, 2020 19:12

Topi
Hairball
Not sure if those credits can be trusted as there's lots of mis-info. sprinkled throughout.

Seems clear Mick is just winging it/improvising in some of these interviews - he's admitted he says a lot of stupid comments when promoting albums.
While it would be nice to know if it was actually Keith or Nicky (or someone else?), sadly we may never know the truth.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 8, 2020 19:16

LeonidP
gotdablouse
I'm all for not taking stuff at "face value" but WTF would they release a DEMO with a new vocal, it makes ZERO sense !!!

As far as I know not with a demo, just unfinished studio recordings ala Plundered My Soul.

Date: September 8, 2020 19:33

General comment - not responding to any post just all of them

Demo Version is a great song, period - All this nonsense about 2020 vs 1973 voice, BluRay 5.1.3 versus 7.XX really are silly arguments. Finished or Unfinished who is to judge what stage the song was in? I think it is remarkable we get some excitement from the Stones during these trying times - I'm impressed with this new release !

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 8, 2020 19:34

Hairball
Topi
Hairball

Seems clear Mick is just winging it/improvising in some of these interviews - he's admitted he says a lot of stupid comments when promoting albums.
While it would be nice to know if it was actually Keith or Nicky (or someone else?), sadly we may never know the truth.

It’s way too technically brilliant to be Keith or Mick alone. Mick may be able to hammer some Out Of Tears simplicity and Keith can bang out Act Together but neither could have played this by themselves. It’s Nicky for sure...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 8, 2020 19:44

Munichhilton
Hairball
Topi
Hairball

It’s way too technically brilliant to be Keith or Mick alone. Mick may be able to hammer some Out Of Tears simplicity and Keith can bang out Act Together but neither could have played this by themselves. It’s Nicky for sure...

Perhaps so, and not doubting, but then why would Mick say it's Keith? He could have said it was a number of people, but says Keith, and sadly gives no credit to Nicky.
Either he himself is confused, or just another stupid comment which only adds to the confusion.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 8, 2020 21:00

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
gotdablouse

As far as I know not with a demo, just unfinished studio recordings ala Plundered My Soul.

What about tracks like Pass the Wine? I guess also an unfinished recording, so still not a "demo" i suppose. Still not sure I see much of a difference, if he's going to add vocals to those tunes, I don't think it is a huge stretch to add them to a demo, if he feels they are not up to snuff.

Chris Fountain

Demo Version is a great song, period - All this nonsense about 2020 vs 1973 voice, BluRay 5.1.3 versus 7.XX really are silly arguments. Finished or Unfinished who is to judge what stage the song was in? I think it is remarkable we get some excitement from the Stones during these trying times - I'm impressed with this new release !

Agree, the demo is very cool. I don't consider it nonsense to debate when the vocal is from, however, it's natural to wonder/debate about it.

Why do i "think" it could be 2020? Nothing definite, but just that it seems too polished, all lyrics, no guide vocals, or counting, etc. Again, not concluding anything, just debating...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 21:01 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 8, 2020 22:22

As to who's on the piano, certainly not the first time Mick's mistaken in an interview.

It's just funny that the magazine themselves "ran" with that story in their review of the GHS reissue.

Other than "Uncut", haven't seen any source claim the other piano was Keith...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2020 22:42

Topi
As to who's on the piano, certainly not the first time Mick's mistaken in an interview.

It's just funny that the magazine themselves "ran" with that story in their review of the GHS reissue.

Other than "Uncut", haven't seen any source claim the other piano was Keith...

Mick just said he can't remember who played the piano in the released version of "Hide Your Love". Well, it was him haha...

Actually I am sometimes surprised how well these dudes actually remember - or claim to remember - some specific details from the events occured some half a century ago, taken how many damn sessions they have done in their life and who knows in which condition many of them happened to be. Well, in some interview, Mick checked Wiki to get some detailed info... I am rather sure that if we will go to some Rolling Stones trivia quiz about who played and what and when, there would be many IORRians who would beat the living Stones members big time...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 22:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 8, 2020 23:02

If critics were to hear this demo when GHS came out, they wouldn't be saying that the Stones were becoming lazy by any standard. This was the real first "mature" Stones album. Hell, even one your parents would have dug at the time.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 9, 2020 01:12

MelBelli
Oh, two pianos. Interesting. I think I can hear Nicky around 1:30?

I thought the opposite. I thought that when Mick comes in. Jagger was not that prolific at the piano at that time. I could be wrong..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 9, 2020 03:12

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
gotdablouse

What about tracks like Pass the Wine? I guess also an unfinished recording, so still not a "demo" i suppose. Still not sure I see much of a difference, if he's going to add vocals to those tunes, I don't think it is a huge stretch to add them to a demo, if he feels they are not up to snuff.

Chris Fountain

Agree, the demo is very cool. I don't consider it nonsense to debate when the vocal is from, however, it's natural to wonder/debate about it.

Why do i "think" it could be 2020? Nothing definite, but just that it seems too polished, all lyrics, no guide vocals, or counting, etc. Again, not concluding anything, just debating...

A demo is the simple idea of a song. That's the difference between a demo and a studio recording. Studio recordings can evolve, obviously, and some are written in the studio so say track 1 out of 50 is "the demo" but that's not always the case.

Hell, Garth Brooks' Friends In Low Places IS the demo! They couldn't get it right for the studio recording! But that is an extremely rare thing.

Pass The Wine was an unfinished studio recording for an album, it was not a demo, just like All The Rage, Start Me Up, Waiting On A Friend and obviously all of the TY tracks yet alone Plundered, Pass The Wine and anything else done for an album but not finished:

NOT DEMOS.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home