Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
Track Talk: 100 Years Ago
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 29, 2016 11:09

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

100 Years Ago

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: November-December 1972 & May-June 1973
Recording locations: Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston, Jamaica & Island Recording Studios, London, England
Producer: Jimmy Miller
Chief engineer: Andy Johns

First Released: 31st August 1973 : The Rolling Stones (LP) ‘Goats Head Soup’
Label: Rolling Stones Records COC 59101

Line Up:
Vocals: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Mick Taylor
Bass: Keith Richards
Drums: Charlie Watts
Piano: Nicky Hopkins
Clavinet: Billy Preston
Tambourine: Jimmy Miller

Other versions:
25th - 30th November & 6th - 21st December 1972: Kingston, Jamaica, Dynamic
100 Years Ago I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version; Nicky Hopkins on piano
Sound Studios. Producer:
Jimmy Miller. Sound engineer:
Andy Johns (with Carlton Lee).
8th May 1973 onwards: London, Island Recording Studios. Mixing and overdubbing
100 Years Ago II (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano, Billy Preston on clavinet,
for the album Goats Head Soup (partially without KR).
Jimmy Miller on percussion; longer differently mixed acetate-version
100 Years Ago III (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano, Billy Preston on clavinet, Jimmy Miller on percussion; Goats Head Soup-version
Producer: Jimmy Miller
Sound engineer: Andy Johns (with Howard Kilgour)

100 Years Ago

Went out walking through the wood the other day
And the world was a carpet laid before me
The buds were bursting and the air smelled sweet and strange
It seemed about a hundred years ago

Mary and I, we would sit upon a gate
Just gazing at some dragon in the sky
What tender days, we had no secrets hid away
Well it seemed about a hundred years ago

Now all my friends is wearing worried smiles
Living out a dream of what they was
Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

Went out walking through the wood the other day
Can't you see the furrows in my forehead?
What tender days, we had no secrets hid away
Now it seemed about a hundred years ago

Now if you see me drinking bad red wine
Don't worry about this man that you love
Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

You're going to kiss those days goodbye
Yeah, I warn you, yeah
Yes, you're going to kiss those days goodbye
Yeah, I warn you
Yeah, you're going to kiss those days goodbye
Lord, I warn you

Please excuse me while I hide away

Call me lazy bones
Ain't got no time to waste away
Lazy bones
Ain't got no time to waste away

Don't you think it's just about time to hide away?
Yeah, yeah

Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, come one, come on, come on, come on, come on...

Yeah, ah kiss me, yeah
Kiss me
Come on and kiss
Kiss me, baby, kiss me, baby
Goodbye, goodbye yeah
Goodbye yeah, goodbye yeah
Come on
Come on baby, kiss me

Yeah, you're going to kiss those days goodbye
I warn you
I warn you, I warn you
I warn you, I warn you
I warn you... come on, baby

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-05 10:54 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: 100 Years Ago (New)
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 29, 2016 12:03

Absolutely wonderful track. Very good lyrics, beautifully constructed starting with a laid back groove and just soaring at the end. Charlie is impeccable on this.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 29, 2016 12:07

Keith played bass? Nice! Always loved this song.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 29, 2016 13:12

Played live twice in Europe 1973, in Vienna and in Mannheim. Recordings of both are available.
The Vienna version is hot, Mannheim chaotic, to put it mildly. Billy Preston did not
manage to get Nicky's pianowork right in both occasions, if you ask me.

Impressive wah wah solo by Mick Taylor, that for some reason was faded out on the album.
I would have left the band too, if they did that to my solo....

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 29, 2016 13:24

Wonderful track by a band who are evolving and inspired. They should have let Taylor have a longer solo instead of sticking with the equivalent of the single era. Goats could have been truly great just as Black n blue could have. Showcases of their abilities on guitar piano vocal syles genres etc.

Date: August 29, 2016 13:36

marcovandereijk
Played live twice in Europe 1973, in Vienna and in Mannheim. Recordings of both are available.
The Vienna version is hot, Mannheim chaotic, to put it mildly. Billy Preston did not

Impressive wah wah solo by Mick Taylor, that for some reason was faded out on the album.

And rehearsed many times in Rotterdam.

18th - 23rd August 1973: Rotterdam, Netherlands, De Doelen, Kleine Zaal.
Rehearsals for the upcoming European Tour. Incl.
- 100 Years Ago 1 (MJ/KR) 0.28 –instrumental
- 100 Years Ago 2 (MJ/KR) 0.45
- 100 Years Ago 3 (MJ/KR) 4.39
- 100 Years Ago 4 (MJ/KR) 4.24
- 100 Years Ago 5 (MJ/KR) 1.52
- 100 Years Ago 6 (MJ/KR) 3.03
- 100 Years Ago 7 (MJ/KR) 1.54 –instrumental
- 100 Years Ago 8 (MJ/KR) 2.26
- 100 Years Ago 9 (MJ/KR) 5.05
- 100 Years Ago 10 (MJ/KR) 5.41
- 100 Years Ago 11 (MJ/KR) 1.30

Date: August 29, 2016 13:41

Leaving the listener longing for more always works, imo. Taylor's awesome playing on this one put us all in that position – hence we can't get enough of it.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 29, 2016 13:52

A Superb Track mostly thanks to the wonderful singing from da Sir...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 29, 2016 14:06

A sparkling track that starts with a dreamy nostalgia trip and builds up to a rousing funky outro. Love that guitar tone and Billy’s clavinet. A gem.

Drew

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 29, 2016 14:07

NICOS

Hell, I lived only 6,6 km away from De Doelen at the time.
Being a six year old kid, I had no idea... If only I could turn back time.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: August 29, 2016 14:54

marcovandereijk
NICOS

Hell, I lived only 6,6 km away from De Doelen at the time.
Being a six year old kid, I had no idea... If only I could turn back time.

About 15km (19y) I didn't know they were rehearsing back then other wise I would have going, not sure if it was audible outside..........but I did had my ticket for the AHOY gig grinning smiley

Date: August 29, 2016 15:07

marcovandereijk

I listened this morning, I don't hear that Taylor's great solo was faded.

Date: August 29, 2016 15:13

Maindefender
marcovandereijk

I listened this morning, I don't hear that Taylor's great solo was faded.

I think they meant that the song was faded, and that Taylor probably would have played on if they hadn't faded it smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 29, 2016 15:34

DandelionPowderman
I think they meant that the song was faded, and that Taylor probably would have played on if they hadn't faded it smiling smiley

They faded it out for release, but on the original recording there´s an extra hour of Taylor noodling and noodling and noodling. The other Stones had dinner during Taylor´s endless noodling. When they came back Keith cut Taylor´s part using a scissor and dumped it, so it´s lost forever.smiling bouncing smiley

100 Years Ago is one of the very few very good tracks on lame GHS. Actually I like the funky instrumental part better than the slow part. Very good song, but great? No way.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 29, 2016 15:54

HMS
They faded it out for release, but on the original recording there´s an extra hour of Taylor noodling and noodling and noodling. The other Stones had dinner during Taylor´s endless noodling. When they came back Keith cut Taylor´s part using a scissor and dumped it, so it´s lost forever.smiling bouncing smiley

Brilliant!!>grinning smiley<

Drew

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 29, 2016 16:20

Wonderful, superb Gem. One of their greatest songs ever !!!
Jeroen

Date: August 29, 2016 16:22

HMS
DandelionPowderman

100 Years Ago is one of the very few very good tracks on lame GHS. Actually I like the funky instrumental part better than the slow part. Very good song, but great? No way.

I would say it's great for us Stones-nerds. However, it would be very hard to turn on a non-Stones fan to this track.

It remains a great, but deep, cut...

Date: August 29, 2016 16:37

DandelionPowderman
HMS
DandelionPowderman

I would say it's great for us Stones-nerds. However, it would be very hard to turn on a non-Stones fan to this track.

Great quote Dandy....completely agree...........

Date: August 29, 2016 16:40

DandelionPowderman
HMS
DandelionPowderman

I would think(hope) a non-Stones fan would be pleasantly surprised with this song.

BTW, I always thought(based on Keno's site) that Keith had no involvement with 100 Years Ago. Based on today's revelation I now have a better appreciation of this album. It's not so much the Jagger solo album I thought it was.

Date: August 29, 2016 16:57

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
HMS
DandelionPowderman

I would think(hope) a non-Stones fan would be pleasantly surprised with this song.

BTW, I always thought(based on Keno's site) that Keith had no involvement with 100 Years Ago. Based on today's revelation I now have a better appreciation of this album. It's not so much the Jagger solo album I thought it was.

That's just a myth, as Keith is very much present on GHS. Not always on the thrashing open G-guitar, though. There would be less of that throughout the 70s.

However, these are the facts:

Riff/rhythm guitar and backing vocals on Dancing With Mr. D
Bass on 100 Years Ago
The vocals and guitars on Coming Down Again
Bass and backing vocals on Heartbreaker (also credited on some sites on guitar, but, not sure about that...)
Acoustic guitar on Angie
Rhythm guitar and backing vocals on Silver Train
Bass on Hide Your Love
Missing in action on Winter (credited on some places on guitar, but that's Jagger)
Rhythm guitar and backing vocals on Can You Hear The Music
Lead guitar and backing vocals on Star Star

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2016 17:03

DandelionPowderman
HMS
DandelionPowderman

Seeing that a non-Stones fan thinks it's not great and thinks GHS is lame...

Date: August 29, 2016 17:05

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
HMS
DandelionPowderman

Seeing that a non-Stones fan thinks it's not great and thinks GHS is lame...

And you're quoting me, while saying this? winking smiley

Date: August 29, 2016 17:06

Perhaps or arguably the best song on GOATS HEAD SOUP it is certainly a great track on a fantastic album. It's criminal that it's been completely ignored by the band.

Well, except for those two times in 1973.

Date: August 29, 2016 17:53

GasLightStreet
Perhaps or arguably the best song on GOATS HEAD SOUP it is certainly a great track on a fantastic album. It's criminal that it's been completely ignored by the band.

It´s a very good track indeed, but Star Star, Hide Your Love, Heartbreaker are better by far. More than half of GHS is subpar and boring material that should have stayed in the can, but they had a contract to fullfill. Most of the songs were hardly or never played live because they knew they were no good.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 29, 2016 18:01

HMS
GasLightStreet

It´s a very good track indeed, but Star Star, Hide Your Love, Heartbreaker are better by far. More than half of GHS is subpar and boring material that should have stayed in the can, but they had a contract to fullfill. Most of the songs were hardly or never played live because they knew they were no good.

Which would probably explain why they play just about everything from Dirty Work all the time.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 29, 2016 18:02

You call yourself a fan. How daft.

The amazement of bunk that comes from someone that loves the absolute finest example of "contract filler" is somewhat entertaining. But to say that Hide Your Love, which, although is a fitting tune for GHS, really should've been left off for two known better songs that could've worked, is better than 100 Years Ago?

Date: August 29, 2016 18:21

Deltics
Which would probably explain why they play just about everything from Dirty Work all the time.

Not playing songs from glorious DW on stage has other reasons, imo.
First of all these songs are vocally too challenging for Mick. His voice would be gone after three nights. Another reason is that they do not want to remember the troubled times they had back then. So unfortunately some of their best songs were never played live. Imagine DW, Fight, Winning Ugly, Had It With You live - what a blast, a real treat for any Stones-fan.

100 Years Ago, imo is one of those songs that would never work live. The atmosphere of the song cant be recreated on stage. I think the Stones became quickly aware of it.

Date: August 29, 2016 18:26

Third of all, it's their worst album.

100 Years Ago is better than anything on that pathetic contract requirement.

Just even by Billy Preston, Nicky Hopkins and Mick Taylor...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 29, 2016 18:45

100 Years Ago is a favourite track of mine from the album "Goats Head Soup", the tempo changes and Mick's vocals and Mick Taylor's great guitar solo make it shine.

Date: August 29, 2016 18:58

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
HMS
DandelionPowderman

That's just a myth, as Keith is very much present on GHS. Not always on the thrashing open G-guitar, though. There would be less of that throughout the 70s.

However, these are the facts:

Riff/rhythm guitar and backing vocals on Dancing With Mr. D
Bass on 100 Years Ago
The vocals and guitars on Coming Down Again
Bass and backing vocals on Heartbreaker (also credited on some sites on guitar, but, not sure about that...)
Acoustic guitar on Angie
Rhythm guitar and backing vocals on Silver Train
Bass on Hide Your Love
Missing in action on Winter (credited on some places on guitar, but that's Jagger)
Rhythm guitar and backing vocals on Can You Hear The Music
Lead guitar and backing vocals on Star Star

More revelations, thanks Dandelion. Definitely needs the deluxe release including one of the live versions of 100 Years in HQ sbd!! >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home