Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Youthful Ignorance
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 17, 2016 17:35

rbk
A college prof friend of mine was horrified to learn her students had no idea who Keith Richards is.

Spoiled, sniveling little sh*ts.

Bring the cane back into the classroom

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 17, 2016 19:07

Rokyfan
I thought the point was not directed at what youth generally know but at the failure of the people who run the town of Cheltenham to teach their children about their heritage. I wouldn't expect young people today to know Brian Jones, or to necessarily like the Stones' music, but it's hard to believe that you can grow up in that town and not know who Brian Jones is.

They should erect a statue to him, now that he's safely dead.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 17, 2016 19:14

24FPS
Rokyfan
I thought the point was not directed at what youth generally know but at the failure of the people who run the town of Cheltenham to teach their children about their heritage. I wouldn't expect young people today to know Brian Jones, or to necessarily like the Stones' music, but it's hard to believe that you can grow up in that town and not know who Brian Jones is.

[www.brianjonesfanclub.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 17, 2016 19:22

SomeTorontoGirl
BluzDude
...I told him if he wants to go to any more concerts with me, he has to pay for his own ticket from now on

To heck with that - audit the little twerp! grinning smiley

I was lucky when I was a kid that, for the most part, my parents liked much of the music that I enjoyed. My mom's deal with me going to concerts prior to me getting my drivers license, was that she would drive me (within reason) just about anywhere in New England for the concert as long as I paid for her ticket to the show. I forget how many shows she went to with me. Funny now when she reminisces about my childhood (she's 75 & I'm 47), she frequently mentions missing the times when I took her to see concerts!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 17, 2016 19:33

lem motlow
it's not young peoples job to know information about old music stars in their 70's.

one of the funniest things i've seen in a long time was Paul MCcartney trying to get into a party in los angeles after an awards show.
the doorman said "sorry you can't come in,you're not on the list" his reaction was priceless-"how much more v.i.p. can i get" he sounded like he was gonna cry,then later tried to act like he didn't care of course.

it was great because the big dude at the door was basically saying" i don't know who the fck you are and i don't care"

That was a great moment. If I remember correctly, he was with Beck and one of the guys from the Foo Fighters and they were laughing their a$$es off about it.

TMZ footage

Some of the original footage & Tyga's Response on Jimmy Kimmel's show - Kinda funny

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 17, 2016 19:37

Gotta give Paul credit for the line «how much more VIP can I get». Priceless! grinning smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 17, 2016 19:48

StonedAsia
Met a kid from Cheltenham. The highly frustrating conversation went as such:

Me: Ah, Cheltenham! The home of Brian Jones!

Kid: Who?

Me: Brian Jones, one of the founders of the Rolling Stones!

Kid: Ah. They aren't a very good band, are they? I mean, are they even still together?

Me: (face palm whilst deciding to smack him upside the head or walk away)

I walked away. My God, the kid doesn't even know one of Cheltenham's most famous offspring. What to do?

Needless to say, it left me 'gobsmacked' and frustrated. I did tell him they are still together and they are VERY GOOD! but he balked and mumble something about someone I had never heard of.

Anyone else ever have these moments? Care to share, hahahah

Brian Jones is not that famous. Jagger is obviously very famous and Richards while a notch below is famous. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't know who Brian Jones was. I have 8 brother and sisters who grew up in the 60s and 70s and i would bet that some of them have no idea who Brian Jones was.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 17, 2016 19:57

Kids are lucky today as there are many avenues to find new music, not just the radio or a couple mags. While not a kid anymore, I'm glad how things are going. There is so much music out there, just gotta dig around.

No matter what age, there are many who have no idea who Brian Jones is.

Date: August 17, 2016 20:13

DandelionPowderman
Gotta give Paul credit for the line «how much more VIP can I get». Priceless! grinning smiley

I also liked his line to Hawkins & Beck to the effect of: "We need another hit" and one of them replies with "next year". Too funny and all the more reason for me to like all three a little bit more.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 17, 2016 20:31

mr_dja
SomeTorontoGirl
BluzDude
...I told him if he wants to go to any more concerts with me, he has to pay for his own ticket from now on

To heck with that - audit the little twerp! grinning smiley

I was lucky when I was a kid that, for the most part, my parents liked much of the music that I enjoyed. My mom's deal with me going to concerts prior to me getting my drivers license, was that she would drive me (within reason) just about anywhere in New England for the concert as long as I paid for her ticket to the show. I forget how many shows she went to with me. Funny now when she reminisces about my childhood (she's 75 & I'm 47), she frequently mentions missing the times when I took her to see concerts!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Not bad...my deal with my parents was (starting at age 13) they would take me or pick me up from a concert as long as my friends parents drove us the opposite way. My parents were not into rock n roll but I had them take me to one show because I wanted them to experience it. When I returned to school, several people came up to me and said....hey, we saw you at the show (the Youngbloods) at the Santa Monica Civic, I can't believe you went with your parents! They really stood out, dressing like they were going to a Broadway play, I tried to convince my Dad to dress like he was going to do work around the house on the weekendgrinning smiley

Posted by: HamburgerToGo ()
Date: August 17, 2016 21:07

Today's kidz are just doing the same thing that WE did as kidz - and doubtless our parents before us.
Everything - even music - is cyclical.

Brian WHO?
Oh yeah - he used to deal cocaine back in the early 1980s in Sherwood, Arkansas...

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 17, 2016 21:49

Tell the kid to Google or Wikipedia it. But I bet he wouldn't bother. There's more info than ever that's available, but it doesn't mean anyone is motivated to look at any of it.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 17, 2016 22:09

My teen daughter started wearing a Rolling Stones T-shirt recently. I wouldn't let her go out until she could name all four active Stones -- she only knew Mick and Keith.
smiling smiley

Date: August 17, 2016 23:04

wonderboy
My teen daughter started wearing a Rolling Stones T-shirt recently. I wouldn't let her go out until she could name all four active Stones -- she only knew Mick and Keith.
smiling smiley

That's great! My daughter was wanting to wear a Stones shirt years ago and I told her she had to be able to name a favorite album and why. She thought for a moment and answered, "Either 'Let It Bleed' because it starts with 'Gimme Shelter' and ends with 'Can't Always Get What You Want' or 'Sticky Fingers' because of "Brown Sugar, Bitch" (Last line spoken with exactly the vocal inflection that you're probably imagining). I was so proud of her that I took her to breakfast before taking her to school that day. And yes, I did tell her that she wasn't allowed to use the second answer with any of her teachers. When she got home that night I asked her if she had gotten any comments on her shirt. She said, "yeah. Some dumba$$ football player thought that he was a fan because he got 'Licks' as a Christmas present." Such a good girl.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 17, 2016 23:14

mr_dja
wonderboy
smiling smiley

That's great! My daughter was wanting to wear a Stones shirt years ago and I told her she had to be able to name a favorite album and why. She thought for a moment and answered, "Either 'Let It Bleed' because it starts with 'Gimme Shelter' and ends with 'Can't Always Get What You Want' or 'Sticky Fingers' because of "Brown Sugar, Bitch" (Last line spoken with exactly the vocal inflection that you're probably imagining). I was so proud of her that I took her to breakfast before taking her to school that day. And yes, I did tell her that she wasn't allowed to use the second answer with any of her teachers. When she got home that night I asked her if she had gotten any comments on her shirt. She said, "yeah. Some dumba$$ football player thought that he was a fan because he got 'Licks' as a Christmas present." Such a good girl.

Peace,
Mr DJA

thumbs up

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 17, 2016 23:22

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:06 by jambay.

Date: August 17, 2016 23:31

wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 23:31 by jambay.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 18, 2016 00:59

My son is wearing his Stone's tee now...he wore them to school often and, of course, the only people with any knowledge of the band were the teachers or other staff. He's the only one of my three that took to the Stones. Might have something to do with the fact that his mother left Some Girls and Exile in the player in his car. grinning smiley

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 18, 2016 01:02

Deltics
24FPS
Rokyfan

what an unfortunate statue, it looks like he's wearing a giant orange peel

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2016 01:44

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 18, 2016 02:20

alieb
Deltics
24FPS
Rokyfan

what an unfortunate statue, it looks like he's wearing a giant orange peel

Mocked in death, as in life.

A few amusing verdicts on the 'bust' on The Brian Jones Fan Club site, with comparisons drawn with a host of figures including Marvin the Martian and Jimmy Saville.

Olly.

Date: August 18, 2016 03:21

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:05 by jambay.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: August 18, 2016 03:23

rbk
A college prof friend of mine was horrified to learn her students had no idea who Keith Richards is.

Im a student at university at the moment and last year during a class a girl asked who was on my shirt.
"It's Keith Richards"
"Who's that"
"Of the rolling stones"
"Who are they"

At this point I politely gave up. This girl had said in one of our earlier classes that she really liked old bands as well confused smiley

I think generally my generation wouldn't know a good song if they heard one because they haven't had a chance to hear many of them. The standards have really declined.

Date: August 18, 2016 03:25

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:05 by jambay.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 18, 2016 04:50

Nate
The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me

Nate

you really need to get out more.

Date: August 18, 2016 06:26

Bring the cane back into the classroom bedroom .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 18, 2016 19:22

Rockman
Bring the cane back into the classroom bedroom .....

Yikes! 50 Shades of Rockeee... You'll be getting those damn beads again next.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: August 19, 2016 01:31

The flip: about ten years ago, I was working on a Sat. at a book bindery where the local classic rock station was aired over the shop floor. The owner, a great gentleman in his late seventies/early eighties at the time, was a music fan and we often talked about performers like Artie Shaw and Duke Ellington. Well, the radio station aired Monkey Man and Mr. Bud was aghast, "What is that noise!" Now, I had not thought that a Stones' song could still offend someone who didn't even know the song and very little about the band. We should remember that "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band" is not as well known outside an age range - my students would ask me about my Stones interest and the only connection they could make was the "moves like Jagger" lyric and a few film references, but they were usually the films they saw. Ah well, enjoy our music while we can.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 19, 2016 04:24

woodyweaving
rbk

Im a student at university at the moment and last year during a class a girl asked who was on my shirt.
"It's Keith Richards"
"Who's that"
"Of the rolling stones"
"Who are they"

At this point I politely gave up. This girl had said in one of our earlier classes that she really liked old bands as well confused smiley

I think generally my generation wouldn't know a good song if they heard one because they haven't had a chance to hear many of them. The standards have really declined.

By "older bands" she probably meant the Backstreet Boys haha
We're of a similar age and to be honest I knew who they were vaguely but until I was about 17 I couldn't have named all the Rolling Stones individually, or even told you how many there were. I am naturally inclined towards older music and it took me a while to work my way back to the 60s but I got there eventually. It's a shame not everyone has good music taste but I'm sure it was the same in the 60s (see "sugar sugar" or "my boyfriend's back" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-19 04:24 by alieb.

Date: August 19, 2016 06:54

Yikes! 50 Shades of Rockeee... You'll be getting those damn beads again next.

Rosary beads .... ????

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home