Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Youthful Ignorance
Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 16, 2016 07:45

Met a kid from Cheltenham. The highly frustrating conversation went as such:

Me: Ah, Cheltenham! The home of Brian Jones!

Kid: Who?

Me: Brian Jones, one of the founders of the Rolling Stones!

Kid: Ah. They aren't a very good band, are they? I mean, are they even still together?

Me: (face palm whilst deciding to smack him upside the head or walk away)

I walked away. My God, the kid doesn't even know one of Cheltenham's most famous offspring. What to do?

Needless to say, it left me 'gobsmacked' and frustrated. I did tell him they are still together and they are VERY GOOD! but he balked and mumble something about someone I had never heard of.

Anyone else ever have these moments? Care to share, hahahah

Re: Youthful Ignorance
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 16, 2016 08:24

My 14 year old daughter would be horrified to attend a Rolling Stones concert.
My 18 year old daughter would sort of enjoy the show. My 23 and 25 year old would, and have, loved the stones concerts.

New Music and it's live presentation has changed drastically in the last several years. Also, my observation is: older performers are not as accepted or appreciated, by the young generation of today, as the older performers where
appreciated when I was a young teen. I suspect many reasons for this change.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 16, 2016 08:58

Last month, I found out that one of my friends did not know the Stones tongue logo.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 16, 2016 10:01

Ah. They aren't a very good band, are they? I mean, are they even still together?

There are several people who post on this message board frequently who seem to feel the same way.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 16, 2016 10:18

Time marches on, I guess, but you have no idea how many 30-somethings and even 40-somethings I've met that have no idea the Beatles had a company named Apple before Apple computers and all that stuff even existed.

Date: August 16, 2016 10:18

SomeTorontoGirl
Last month, I found out that one of my friends did not know the Stones tongue logo.

I hope you licked them and said "This" grinning smiley and left them not knowing.

Because at this point if they dont know, they are a lost cause.

As for kids these days and the noises they have been sold... who knows... but when the music factory uses only one or two people to produce all of the songs that are pumped and dumped, and I guess the kids like it, and the noise does sell, but what about in 10-15 years, will it hold up?

[www.billboard.com]

At the pool recently the radio station the speakers wee playing had bad song after bad song after bad song all sung sickeningly sweet boppy voices which sounded like they were all produced by the same factory.... and they probably were.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 16, 2016 10:34

jambay
Ah. They aren't a very good band, are they? I mean, are they even still together?

There are several people who post on this message board frequently who seem to feel the same way.

Those mentionned several people may rather be said to hold that a long glorious career has produced results that are not equally good. Instead that there are peaks and comparative, for some posters absolute, slumps. A fact which gives rise to discussions that somehow can be seen as an unofficial collective process of establishing, more or less, a canon for the achievements of the Rolling Stones. For there is, of course, disagreement to some degree among posters as to what is very good, good, adequate or not so good.

You maybe disagree about this and consider all equally good. Or it may be an unfair representation of your views. Then you may feel free to state them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-16 10:36 by Witness.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 16, 2016 11:15

To be fair to the kid, when I was a teenager there were many musicians (artists, actors, etc.) who had died decades before I was born about whom I had no knowledge, either. Give him/her time!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 16, 2016 12:14

Well, like Ozzy Osbourne once said that if his father had wanted to take him to the show of an artist who was popular in the 1920s when he was a teenager, he would have told him to f**k off.

Wasn't the generation gap bigger in the 60s than it's today, anyway?

Date: August 16, 2016 12:39

Witness
jambay

Those mentionned several people may rather be said to hold that a long glorious career has produced results that are not equally good. Instead that there are peaks and comparative, for some posters absolute, slumps. A fact which gives rise to discussions that somehow can be seen as an unofficial collective process of establishing, more or less, a canon for the achievements of the Rolling Stones. For there is, of course, disagreement to some degree among posters as to what is very good, good, adequate or not so good.

You maybe disagree about this and consider all equally good. Or it may be an unfair representation of your views. Then you may feel free to state them.

What mentioned people?

You seem very defensive and it seems you only reply to my posts when you want to be confrontational. The post you quote was not directed at anyone in particular, but if anyone feels it is about them then that is about them and their attitude.

I post a lot of light and fun posts here. If you want any more replies from me please consider replying to my fun posts too and not just hunting for my posts where you want to be confrontational. I usually avoid replying to people who only quote/reply to me when they want to be confrontational.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 16, 2016 13:39

jambay

Haha smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 16, 2016 13:41

Rolling Hansie
jambay

Haha smiling smiley

grinning smiley Hans gets it smileys with beer

Date: August 16, 2016 13:43

jambay

I post a lot of light and fun posts here.

Yeah, and I thought your last message about "several people" was also funny. At least I cannot find anything offensive in it.

-------------------

Date: August 16, 2016 13:45

jambay
Hans gets it

Yeah, and I am old and know who Brian Jones was. Cheers

-------------------

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 16, 2016 13:48

Then I must apologize. I understood your post as confrontational to some discussions, which also I from time to time participate in on a minor scale. Maybe your post was not meant that way.

jambay

Date: August 16, 2016 13:53

Rolling Hansie
jambay

I post a lot of light and fun posts here.

Yeah, and I thought your last message about "several people" was also funny. At least I cannot find anything offensive in it.

as a good mans says...

I love the Rolling Stones

Do they have some stuff I could nitpick parse tear apart examine under a microscope?
Sure... but that is waaaaaaaaaay down on my "TO-DO" list... I am in this for the fun

It is Only Rock and Roll....

And I feel sorry for anyone who (e.g. youthful ignorance) doesn't know about them
and/or says they dont want to know about them, because that is a big mistake...
cuz they are still rolling strong and it is not too late to get it while the getting is good.

In 50 years History will look back at this band and wag their tongues at how great they were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-16 13:55 by jambay.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: August 16, 2016 13:58

Needless to say, it left me 'gobsmacked' and frustrated. I did tell him they are still together and they are VERY GOOD! but he balked and mumble something about someone I had never heard of.

So, after dumping on him for not knowing The Stones, you do the same thing about the music he likes. Ignorance can come in all shapes, sizes, and ages.

Date: August 16, 2016 14:11

roryg

So, after dumping on him for not knowing The Stones, you do the same thing about the music he likes. Ignorance can come in all shapes, sizes, and ages.

If you mean me ""you do the same thing about the music he likes. Ignorance ""

I have been on constant hunt for good music for a long long time...
I know all about and have tried Gaga, Kanye, Snoop, Beiber, Beyounce and he hubby, Jonas, Ke$ha, Mylie, Stafani, Lovato, Wolf Alice, Lame Impala, The 1975, Arctic Monkeys, all those EDM and rap crappers... I give them all a try... and OMPF OOMPF OOMPF and/or some guy screaming spitin rhymes.. or some package pretty girl du jour.... uhm yeah.... It is not ignorance... it is apathy.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 16, 2016 14:12

Whenever this site ventures towards this discussion, it makes me laugh how little most posters know, and how generalised their comments are.

Date: August 16, 2016 14:19

so the point is... this is a bait thread....
and anyone replying anything is yadda yadda yadda... yeah probably.

Date: August 16, 2016 14:22

jambay
roryg

I know all about and have tried Gaga, Kanye, Snoop, Beiber, Beyounce and he hubby, Jonas, Ke$ha, Mylie, Stafani, Lovato, Wolf Alice, Lame Impala, The 1975, Arctic Monkeys, all those EDM and rap crappers... I give them all a try... and OMPF OOMPF OOMPF and/or some guy screaming spitin rhymes.. or some package pretty girl du jour.... uhm yeah.... It is not ignorance... it is apathy.

LOL! smileys with beer

Date: August 16, 2016 14:25

DandelionPowderman
jambay
roryg

LOL! smileys with beer

Just seeing is anyone is paying attention... lol, nice work DPM smoking smileygrinning smiley

Date: August 16, 2016 14:28

btw- I thought that post I was replying to up there was from the OP,
I didn't realize he was quoting the OP and talking to the OP... so anyway...

whistling and doing a backsteppingmoonwalk out of here...

note to self, please avoid these threads smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-16 14:30 by jambay.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 16, 2016 17:00

Lets's face it. As much as we love the Stones and as iconic as they are, to a lot of today's kids they are a memento of decades gone by. I would be pleased to meet a kid who knew at least something about the Stones, much as I knew at least something about Sinatra when I was a kid, but I'd be amazed if said kid knew about Brian Jones...or even Mick Taylor.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 16, 2016 17:14

StonedAsia
Met a kid from Cheltenham. The highly frustrating conversation went as such:

Me: Ah, Cheltenham! The home of Brian Jones!

Kid: Who?

Me: Brian Jones, one of the founders of the Rolling Stones!

Kid: Ah. They aren't a very good band, are they? I mean, are they even still together?

Me: (face palm whilst deciding to smack him upside the head or walk away)

I walked away. My God, the kid doesn't even know one of Cheltenham's most famous offspring. What to do?

Anyone else ever have these moments? Care to share, hahahah

You've got to give it some perspective. You think Brian Jones knew who Sir James Tynte Agg-Gardner or Sarah Burney were?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 16, 2016 17:23

I have to agree with Aquamarine on this one: Brian Jones' passing was 47-years-ago. In terms of pop culture, he is a reasonably well-known figure from the past, but in the wider sphere, he isn't. A young person not in time with his parents' musical tastes, simply may not know the one-time rhythm guitarist of the Rolling Stones. I certainly wouldn't deem his unknowing as 'ignorant'

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: August 16, 2016 17:40

On the other hand, there's also old-timer's ignorance. They think that there are no good bands anymore these days. Or they think that all rap is crap because all they do is rap about guns and killing each other and they have no talent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-16 17:42 by Boognish.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 16, 2016 17:57

Boognish
On the other hand, there's also old-timer's ignorance. They think that there are no good bands anymore these days. Or they think that all rap is crap because all they do is rap about guns and killing each other and they have no talent.

Good point. I'm 56 but I believe there will always be good new rock bands / artists coming up. The trouble is it's very hard to find a radio station that gives these artists any exposure. And within any genre there will be some genuine artistry and....some crap. But maybe I am somewhat biased towards what I like as I still maintain that despite good new bands coming up, there will never be another Rolling Stones!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 16, 2016 18:00

I have to admit I don't understand the younger generation, or should I say, my son.

I have taken him, at his request, to see the Stones (twice), AC/DC, Social Distortion, Pearl Jam and a few others, not to mention going with him to see the groups he's really into like Linkin Park and Green Day.

But the bands he asks me to take him to see, he never listens to them and doesn't really know their music (except maybe for one song each), he just hears they are good live so he wants to see them.

A few months ago, he told me he wanted to see the Who. I put on the Hyde Park show and he paid no attention to it. I asked him....I thought you wanted to see the Who? He responded by saying....ya, but live is different than watching it on TV.

I told him if he wants to go to any more concerts with me, he has to pay for his own ticket from now on

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 16, 2016 18:13

In the Sixties and Seventies, music was "our world." Radio was king, our lifeline.

Today's kids have such a glut of electronic "stuff" that radio is virtually meaningless to the majority.

Seems sad to me. If this is progress, we're in trouble.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1319
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home