Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT - The Tragically Hip
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 23, 2017 19:43

Thanks STG. I asked the CBC if they would release the last show and was told it is up to the band.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 24, 2017 02:08

shattered
Thanks STG. I asked the CBC if they would release the last show and was told it is up to the band.

Maybe once this movie has ended it's theatre run / DVD sales blitz. Many people would like a copy of that last show...

Date: September 15, 2017 20:12

The movie premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival this week. Hoping to see it soon. Netflix have picked it ip and will have it available Nov 12th. Some reviews:

[globalnews.ca]

[nowtoronto.com]

[www.thestar.com]

Date: September 16, 2017 03:30

SomeTorontoGirl
shattered

Maybe once this movie has ended it's theatre run / DVD sales blitz. Many people would like a copy of that last show...

I hope so. I wish the absolute best for Gord.

Date: September 26, 2017 05:01

I saw Long Time Running at the theatre tonight, wanted to catch it before it ends its run (will be on Netflix in November). Expected to be in tears the whole time, but it's a really great movie. Such a great tribute to the band, and to Gord. I shouldn't be stunned by his Courage, or his Grace Too, as those are 2 of their best tracks. If you like the band, see the film. You'll be a Canuck by the time it's over.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 18, 2017 15:59

Sorry to hear that Gord passed last night:

[globalnews.ca]

Date: October 18, 2017 16:00

Gord Downie passed last night. Gutted. Safe journey Gord, and thanks for the gifts.

[www.cbc.ca]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 18, 2017 16:09

Technically 'The Tragically Hip' was my first concert, (besides some free family festivals) when they opened for The Rolling Stones in 1995 (Werchter).

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 18, 2017 16:18

RIP Gord. He will be missed. sad smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 18, 2017 16:26

I wasn't a fan of the band but am saddened by his passing out of respect and admiration of those who were. He was clearly something special and important to many people. Even without a personal connection to him or his music, I was touched be the emotional response of his fans over the past year or so.

A tough time for many for sure, thanks to all for sharing your feelings with the rest of us who may not have had as close a personal connection.

RIP Gord. And may peace be with his family & many fans.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 18, 2017 16:26

Very sad. RIP.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 18, 2017 19:35

Love and light to the man, and thanks and praises.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 19, 2017 01:18

Very sad. Wasn't a fan of the band but every time the thread got bumped I was afraid this was why. Sad that its finally happened. Agreed that thoughts with his family and happy for the impact he made on fans. Its what a good artist should do.

Date: October 19, 2017 01:58

The Hip opened for the Stones at least twice - 1995 and 2005, I believe. Interesting story about that: [earofnewt.com]

It didn’t escape my notice that Gord passed, aged 53, 55 years to the day after Mick and Keith hooked up at the station in Dartford. So for him, there always was the sun, the moon and the Rolling Stones. Still reeling from this even though we all knew it was coming. Condolences to family, friends, the rest of the Hip and all who are hurting today.

Date: October 19, 2017 03:32

Here's a statement from earlier today from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau:

“For almost five decades, Gord Downie uncovered and told the stories of Canada. He was the frontman of one of Canada’s most iconic bands, a rock star, artist, and poet whose evocative lyrics came to define a country. The Tragically Hip’s music invited us to explore places we had never been – from Mistaken Point to Churchill – and helped us understand each other, while capturing the complexity and vastness of the place we call home. Gord’s command of language was profound. He painted landscapes with his words, elevating Canadian geography, historical figures, and myths. When he spoke, he gave us goosebumps and made us proud to be Canadian. Our identity and culture are richer because of his music, which was always raw and honest – like Gord himself. In the wake of his diagnosis, Gord only fought harder for what he believed in: social justice, environmentalism, and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples. Before passing, he shined his light on the story of 12-year-old Chanie Wenjack who died from hunger and exposure after trying to find his way home from a residential school. For his work raising awareness of Indigenous issues, he was inducted as a member of the Order of Canada in 2017. Gord did not rest from working for the issues he cared about, and his commitment and passion will continue to motivate Canadians for years to come. On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to Gord’s family, friends, bandmates and crew members, and his many, many fans. He will be sorely missed.”

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 19, 2017 06:40

Tragically Hip are a GREAT band. Too bad they are not as appreciated here in the USA as they should be. They are icons to our neighbors in Canada.

Lucky for me I live in Seattle and get 100.3 FM The Q in Victoria BC Canada, so I am lucky enough to hear their music on my car radio.These guys are The Rolling Stones of Canada IMO. They are that good.

Gord Downie was a phenomenal front man. I loved his lyrics,vocals and showmanship. He is very Mick Jagger'ish in his own way. He was a blessing to music for 30 plus years.

Their 2 CD Greatest Hits Collection is a must download for your music collection.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 19, 2017 07:32

I know my Canadian friends are gutted today (I was familiar with him largely through them), and I thought Trudeau's statement was very appropriate and moving. Safe journey, Gord.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 19, 2017 11:26

Sad news. Tragically Hip is a special band and Gord Downie was a great artist.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 19, 2017 23:54

The huge here in the Buffalo market.

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: October 20, 2017 15:57

In the "Letters to the Editor" section of The Globe and Mail today ...

I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the banks,
Looked up to the Gord above
And said, "hey man, thanks"

Date: October 20, 2017 16:10

Marmalade
In the "Letters to the Editor" section of The Globe and Mail today ...

I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the banks,
Looked up to the Gord above
And said, "hey man, thanks"

Perfect! Thanks, Lady M!

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: November 12, 2017 09:13

[m.youtube.com]

Looking at a lot of Tragically Hip videos tonight. This is one of the best so far. But all their stuff is good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 17:38 by KingmanBarstow.

Date: November 12, 2017 16:56

KingmanBarstow
[m.youtube.com]

Looking at a lot Tragically Hip videos tonight. This is one of the best so far. But all their stuff is good.

Thanks so much for that! I’d not seen this one, and it’s a treat. Gord’s acting kinda awkward in this, and it made me think of Dr. Sheldon Cooper...then, the cats! Tragically Hip, meet Big Bang Theory. Funny, playful stuff from the guys, and a killer track.

I seldom watch videos, but watching these has been a great way to remember and celebrate Gord. Damn.

[m.youtube.com]

Date: November 12, 2017 18:38

SomeTorontoGirl
KingmanBarstow
[m.youtube.com]

Looking at a lot Tragically Hip videos tonight. This is one of the best so far. But all their stuff is good.

Thanks so much for that! I’d not seen this one, and it’s a treat. Gord’s acting kinda awkward in this, and it made me think of Dr. Sheldon Cooper...then, the cats! Tragically Hip, meet Big Bang Theory. Funny, playful stuff from the guys, and a killer track.

I seldom watch videos, but watching these has been a great way to remember and celebrate Gord. Damn.

[m.youtube.com]

Hi STG: Just got home and catching up. Was wondering how he was doing then saw this thread. There will never be another Gord and he will be missed. Take care.

Date: November 12, 2017 22:03

SomeTorontoGirl
KingmanBarstow
[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

You’re welcome and thanks STG for the return vid. I was in a store yesterday and picked up the Macleans mag commemorative issue on Gord - there were about 10 copies in the rack. I went back today to get a copy for a buddy - I got the last one. Speaks volumes to how much he meant to us all. The cats by the way reminded me of Bubbles from TPB!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 22:06 by KingmanBarstow.

Date: November 18, 2017 21:57

KingmanBarstow
... I was in a store yesterday and picked up the Macleans mag commemorative issue on Gord - there were about 10 copies in the rack. I went back today to get a copy for a buddy - I got the last one. Speaks volumes to how much he meant to us all. The cats by the way reminded me of Bubbles from TPB!

Thanks for the heads up, KB. It was a stressful week tracking down a copy and I had given up (local magazine shop only got 6 copies and the first pooh-head through the door bought them all, everyone else also out) but stumbled on one this morning. Looking forward to reading it!

Date: November 18, 2017 22:46

thumbs up To STG. Good hunting.

Date: November 19, 2017 17:32

I was just reading Brent Butt’s recollections in MacLeans, of The Hip appearing on Corner Gas (for The Rest Of The World, a quirky Canuck TV series set at a gas station in the middle of nowhere...don’t judge us...). On the show, they were putting a band together and wanted to rehearse in the garage but some local kids were already playing there, so they were going to have to kick them out. As a joke, Brent wrote ‘Tragically Hip’ in as the kids’ band. Then they asked The Hip. Then this happened...

[m.youtube.com]

Date: November 26, 2017 14:12

watched "long time running" last night. quite good, got a little misty. i saw them several times in seattle, also gord solo. first time was in a tiny bar about when new orleans came out. they tore it up. a bigger local club used to call me for advice on booking band. they called about the hip & i said do it immediately. set the alcohol sales record for the club that stood until it closed. another ripping show. also saw them blow jimmy page & robert plant off the stage once. miss them. hope the other guys in the band don't disappear. although vancouver is only 2 hours away, it is a different world musically & news is slow sometimes. this film is quite good. i hope they put out a cd with highlights from the final tour.

Date: November 26, 2017 16:07

Apparently there is enough material for several albums in the vaults. I’m sure we’ll be hearing from them.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home