Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28
Re: OT: NFL 2016 season
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 19, 2017 07:21

Was Kay Adams wearing a toga on the show yesterday? I hope that look is coming back...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 19, 2017 13:20

Steelers are beating the pats this weekend, though I wouldn't put money on it.grinning smiley The Patriots are a tough team.*

Whoever wins this game is taking the super bowl.*

*This is coming from someone who hasn't watched a game in years, but loves their hometown.

The penguins are a different story. My all time favorite team, playing my favorite sport. They'll win the cup again this year!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 19, 2017 15:40

MingSubu
Steelers are beating the pats this weekend, though I wouldn't put money on it.grinning smiley The Patriots are a tough team.*

*This is coming from someone who hasn't watched a game in years, but loves their hometown.

The penguins are a different story. My all time favorite team, playing my favorite sport. They'll win the cup again this year!

OT: NOT TRYING TO HIJACK THREAD

So are the Pirates EVER going to get "over the hump"? They seem to keep getting close recently.

Hope your hometown desires are correct re: the Steelers.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 19, 2017 15:45

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
mr_dja
Socrates1
The Patriots are the greatest football team of all time right now.

That's funny. I'd be curious to know what you were drinking when you typed that. smileys with beer

Greatest of all time? The 49ers, Cowboys AND STEELERS all have more Super Bowl victories than the Patriots. Although the Pats are tied for the most Super Bowl APPEARANCES, of the teams they're tied with, only Denver has lost more than the Pats.
That's one way to look at it.

But Brady/Belichick have won four. Montana/Walsh won 3, then Walsh retired and Montana won another the following year with a new coach. That's pretty remarkable.

Bradshaw/Knoll won four, so that plus the two additional that Roethlisburger won (one with Cowher, one with Tomlin), actually makes the Steelers the greatest franchise in NFL history.

Nevertheless, the sustained run of excellence (15 years and counting) that the Pats have been on under Brady/Belichick is unprecedented.

so you are ignoring anything that happened in the nfl before 1967?
Post-merger is what everyone tends to focus on. Even going back to 1967...the game is so different it's impossible to compare. They didn't even keep track of a lot of stats back then.

they did not but it still part of nfl history. the nfl currently states the packers, bears and giants have the most total nfl championships.

And those teams DO have the most NFL Championships. They DON'T have the most Super Bowls. I think it was clear that most involved in this particular offshoot of the thread were talking about the Super Bowl era. It was to me anyway.

Apologies for my part of the confusion. I'll bow out of the historical conversation now as I really don't study much on the pre-Super Bowl era.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 19, 2017 16:31

Go Dolphins Falcons!

Have they stopped playing music at the games? Seems to me I have not heard Start Me Up or Crazy Train and the others this year (maybe last year also). Anyone else not hear music?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 19, 2017 16:41

mr_dja
MingSubu

So are the Pirates EVER going to get "over the hump"? They seem to keep getting close recently.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I don't think so. The owner needs to spend money, to win, but he wont. At least that is what I've been hearing on pittsburgh sports radio.

Date: January 19, 2017 17:09

MingSubu
mr_dja
MingSubu

Peace,
Mr DJA

I don't think so. The owner needs to spend money, to win, but he wont. At least that is what I've been hearing on pittsburgh sports radio.

That's the same thing I hear. They just get so close on such a (relatively) low budget. Kind of like the A's did a few years back ('Moneyball' era). Although I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan (who have recently gone the 'spend whatever it takes' method) I still have a soft spot in my heart for small market teams who manage to be competitive while 'sticking to a budget'.

Back on topic: GO STEELERS!!!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 19, 2017 17:19

The Pirates ownership have long been notorious for taking advantage of the revenue-sharing in MLB, and then pocketing the money rather than re-investing it into the team. I think that's changed in recent years, but that was the knock on them even a couple of years ago.

I've heard that PNC Park is one of the best stadiums in baseball. It's a shame they were saddled with lousy ownership for so long.

Date: January 19, 2017 17:58

The Patriots have won ONE Super Bowl over the past 11 years and needed help from the opposing coaching staff to win that one.

Their first Super Bowl victory was tainted due to the fact that they should not have even been playing in the game because of the short lived ,ridiculous "tuck rule" which came into play during the play-off game against Oakland.

Two years later,they beat Carolina by a field goal. The year after that was their most convincing championship.

So,they were clearly the best team in the league 2 .... maybe 3 times ever.

They never really left no doubt like the '89/'90 San Francisco team or the '92-'96 Dallas teams who won three out of four and who were the closest by far to winning four in a row.

Date: January 19, 2017 18:15

Winning Ugly VXII
The Patriots have won ONE Super Bowl over the past 11 years and needed help from the opposing coaching staff to win that one.

Their first Super Bowl victory was tainted due to the fact that they should not have even been playing in the game because of the short lived ,ridiculous "tuck rule" which came into play during the play-off game against Oakland.

Two years later,they beat Carolina by a field goal. The year after that was their most convincing championship.

They never really left no doubt like the '89/'90 San Francisco team or the '92-'96 Dallas teams who won three out of four and who were the closest by far to winning four in a row.
Brady didn't have a Jerry Rice or a Michael Irvin, nor a running back like Emmitt Smith.

The ONE year Brady had an elite wide receiver (Moss), he broke the single-season touchdown record and went 19-1 for the season.

You make some good points, but name a team who's been better for 16 straight seasons. You DO realize how difficult it is to win multiple Super Bowls? That's hardly the only criterion for judging dominance.

Date: January 20, 2017 06:29

mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
mr_dja
Socrates1

That's funny. I'd be curious to know what you were drinking when you typed that. smileys with beer

Greatest of all time? The 49ers, Cowboys AND STEELERS all have more Super Bowl victories than the Patriots. Although the Pats are tied for the most Super Bowl APPEARANCES, of the teams they're tied with, only Denver has lost more than the Pats.

But Brady/Belichick have won four. Montana/Walsh won 3, then Walsh retired and Montana won another the following year with a new coach. That's pretty remarkable.

Bradshaw/Knoll won four, so that plus the two additional that Roethlisburger won (one with Cowher, one with Tomlin), actually makes the Steelers the greatest franchise in NFL history.

Nevertheless, the sustained run of excellence (15 years and counting) that the Pats have been on under Brady/Belichick is unprecedented.

Post-merger is what everyone tends to focus on. Even going back to 1967...the game is so different it's impossible to compare. They didn't even keep track of a lot of stats back then.

they did not but it still part of nfl history. the nfl currently states the packers, bears and giants have the most total nfl championships.

And those teams DO have the most NFL Championships. They DON'T have the most Super Bowls. I think it was clear that most involved in this particular offshoot of the thread were talking about the Super Bowl era. It was to me anyway.

Apologies for my part of the confusion. I'll bow out of the historical conversation now as I really don't study much on the pre-Super Bowl era.

Peace,
Mr DJA

it was clear to me as well but the super bowl winner merely has won the nfl championship. that is just the name of the final game now to determine who the nfl champion is. just recently college football renamed and redid the system to determine the national champion. should we not count anything before a handful of years ago simply because the name of the final game has changed?

Date: January 20, 2017 06:33

keefriff99
Winning Ugly VXII

Brady didn't have a Jerry Rice or a Michael Irvin, nor a running back like Emmitt Smith.

The ONE year Brady had an elite wide receiver (Moss), he broke the single-season touchdown record and went 19-1 for the season.

You make some good points, but name a team who's been better for 16 straight seasons. You DO realize how difficult it is to win multiple Super Bowls? That's hardly the only criterion for judging dominance.

those 16 straight seasons include games with other starting QBs. shows me there is more to the patriots than brady. he is plugged into a system that makes someone successful

Date: January 20, 2017 06:44

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
Winning Ugly VXII

those 16 straight seasons include games with other starting QBs. shows me there is more to the patriots than brady. he is plugged into a system that makes someone successful
You really enjoy arguing for no reason, don't you?

I never said it was all down to Brady, but one coach and one primary quarterback for 16 seasons is highly unique.

Yeah, 2 games with Bledsoe, 15 with Cassel (where they missed the playoffs), 3 with Garoppolo and 1 with Brissett...21 regular season games out of 256. You're kinda reaching.

Date: January 20, 2017 07:24

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
Winning Ugly VXII

I never said it was all down to Brady, but one coach and one primary quarterback for 16 seasons is highly unique.

Yeah, 2 games with Bledsoe, 15 with Cassel (where they missed the playoffs), 3 with Garoppolo and 1 with Brissett...21 regular season games out of 256. You're kinda reaching.

but the team was successful without brady. they finished 11-5 with cassel, 3-1 with garoppolo and brissett and I believe 0-2 with Bledsoe although he lead the game winning drive to against the steelers in the playoffs.

so they went 14-8 without brady. 14-6 if you count the games since brady became the starter. I know for fact the steelers and colts have much worser records when big ben or peyton weren't starting. heck the colts went 2-14 when peyton missed and entire season

Date: January 20, 2017 10:10

Patriots are easily the best overall tram of last 15 years. What has been baffling though is that it has not translated into SB victories. The last time when the Giants beat them ,as huge underdogs, was the main head scratcher. They were esp. one dimensional that year. I do think it is down to Brady.He's done it year after year with no names.
Falcons - may not get past this round yet. Dan Quinn was the BEST thing they have done in...forever. They will only get better. Incredible offense with twin runners, receivers who are NOT named Julio. And that defense has got stronger every week.
Steelers are the real dangerous one. Big Ben has a crazy offense; including himself.
Green Bay - Rogers is red hot.I thought that Dallas didnt stand a chance even before kick-off. I keep reading about their injuries, but aren't they all back?

Date: January 20, 2017 15:10

Palace Revolution 2000
Patriots are easily the best overall tram of last 15 years. What has been baffling though is that it has not translated into SB victories. The last time when the Giants beat them ,as huge underdogs, was the main head scratcher. They were esp. one dimensional that year. I do think it is down to Brady.He's done it year after year with no names.
Falcons - may not get past this round yet. Dan Quinn was the BEST thing they have done in...forever. They will only get better. Incredible offense with twin runners, receivers who are NOT named Julio. And that defense has got stronger every week.
Steelers are the real dangerous one. Big Ben has a crazy offense; including himself.
Green Bay - Rogers is red hot.I thought that Dallas didnt stand a chance even before kick-off. I keep reading about their injuries, but aren't they all back?
I don't understand why people think the Pats have UNDER-achieved because they've been to 6 Super Bowls and won 4. In this age of parity and salary caps, that's a huge achievement.

Winning multiple Super Bowls with the same squad, same coach, same QB, same whatever, is extraordinarily difficult in today's NFL. Look at how quickly the shine came off of teams like the Seahawks or the Panthers.

Again, look at that graphic I posted. Look at Belichick's W/L%. Look at 6 straight AFC Championship games. It's quite an accomplishment.

Date: January 20, 2017 15:13

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
Winning Ugly VXII

but the team was successful without brady. they finished 11-5 with cassel, 3-1 with garoppolo and brissett and I believe 0-2 with Bledsoe although he lead the game winning drive to against the steelers in the playoffs.

so they went 14-8 without brady. 14-6 if you count the games since brady became the starter. I know for fact the steelers and colts have much worser records when big ben or peyton weren't starting. heck the colts went 2-14 when peyton missed and entire season
I know! Belichick is more critical to their success than Brady (I'd put it at 60/40%). I never claimed otherwise.

I'm simply discussing their success in the context of ONE coach with basically ONE quarterback for a 15-year stretch...but yes, the fact they won at a comparable rate with Cassel/Garropolo/Brissett proves that Belichick's system is impeccable.

Date: January 20, 2017 15:19

Palace Revolution 2000
No, their receiving corps is banged up. Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams and Geronimo Allison are ALL hurt, and reports are that, realistically, none of them would play if this were a regular season game.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2017 17:17

keefriffhard4life
thank you for remembering me posting that. i knew the cowboys were all talk and no game. the NFC will win the superbowl no matter which team makes it

I thought I had posted something similar but I found yours. They basically said the same thing: Dallas ain't very good.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 20, 2017 17:23

Go Falcons

Date: January 20, 2017 17:23

Winning Ugly VXII
Green Bay let up ?? They couldn't stop Dallas's offense in 8 quarters this year.

The only reason they had the 18 point lead is because Dallas shot itself in the foot with an "unsportsman-like" 15 yard substitution penalty on a play where they gained 22 yards down to Green Bay's 12 yard line. That rule,by the way,is foolish. 15 yards penalty for being near the huddle .... should be 5 yards like every other substitution penalty or maybe a player should actually need to be IN the huddle and then leave the game for it to be a penalty at all.

But either way,I don't think Green Bay let up and threw their interception because they were ahead. "We're ahead so,let's throw an interception."

Wait,they also threw another interception when they weren't so far ahead. Lucky for them,it didn't stand up because the referees called pass interference. It would have actually been pass interference but,it should have been picked up because the ball was clearly uncatchable by any Green Bay receiver , regardless of the contact.

They must have let up twice,letting Dallas tie the score twice,not learning their lesson after letting their first lead slip away.

It's easy to gloat when the ball bounces your way. If Rodgers gets stripped of the ball there on that blind-side sack with 15 or 20 seconds left to play,Dallas likely kicks a field goal and wins the game. It didn't work out that way so,have your fun.

Yes - as in, they stopped dominating. And they screwed up. The INT helped a lot. I'm not gloating. I hate Dallas. I know Dallas was much better in 2016 than the previous 20 years or whatever it is that it's been since they've done anything worth a damn. And if they don't mess with it, which seems to be a constant thing there, then they should be better in 2017. As in... able to beat winning teams and maybe even win a playoff game or two in 2018.

Date: January 20, 2017 17:32

keefriff99
Socrates1
The Patriots are the greatest team of all time. They must have bigger chips on their shoulder than any other team -- ever. Think of it that way. The Patriots will win. I'm not Catholic. I don't care how may Hail Mary passes Rodgers throws. He's not the greatest of all time. He's right up there. But he's not the greatest. Tom Brady stands to walk into the history books as the greatest QB of all time. He's not gonna miss that chance. Brady wins.
It's kind of ridiculous that quarterback greatness is measured in rings.

Why? It's a damn team sport. Of course the QB is the captain of the offense, but he has nothing to do with defense or special teams.

If you go by stats, Rodgers is in another league. Manning and Favre stuck around long enough to compile gaudy regular season records, but Rodgers, in terms of efficiency, accuracy, TD/interception ratio, and other % stats, is already #1 in many categories.

I've always looked at Drew Brees being the Wayne Gretzky of the NFL - he keeps breaking records and has these huge blow out numbers for passing yards etc for years in a row and blah blah blah. He's not too far behind Manning (Peyton Manning 71,940; Brett Favre 71,838; Drew Brees 66,111) with the total passing yards. He could certainly do it if he keeps having 5000+ passing yards seasons like he does.

Just think if they had a defense and hadn't've gotten rid of Sproles, Jenkins and Ivory - the Saints may've won 2 or 3 more Super Bowls by now. They were really close to having a great team for a little while. The GM screwed it up big time.

Date: January 20, 2017 17:38

Socrates1
If you like conspiracy theories: Well, forget it. To the conspiracy theorists: It's all good. That last post wasn't to any one person. It wasn't about anyone in particular. It wasn't supposed to have some big meaning. Neither is this post. Except when I say: Patriots to win. That is going to be incredible when the Patriots win the Super Bowl and Brady is #1 of all time.

Uh. Dude. Conspiracy theories are by nutjobs and kooks about real things in life. It's like religion - fictitious reasons to explain something to idiots who can't live in, with and or accept reality. Conspiracy theories are not how good a sports team is or who's going to win the Super Bowl.

Date: January 20, 2017 17:55

GasLightStreet
I hate Dallas. I know Dallas was much better in 2016 than the previous 20 years or whatever it is that it's been since they've done anything worth a damn. And if they don't mess with it, which seems to be a constant thing there, then they should be better in 2017. As in... able to beat winning teams and maybe even win a playoff game or two in 2018.

Sums up my personal feels almost to the word except I might add to the end: "and I'll be rooting against them every step of the way regardless of how well they're doing in the standings".

After close to 42 years of sports fandom, the Cowboys and the NBA's Lakers are the last two teams on my, "Absolutely no Use" for list. As I've matured, I've found myself at least able to have a bit of respect and tolerance for the Yankees (MLcool smiley and UConn women's basketball teams (both of whom I had a blind hatred for decades). I don't see that happening with the LA or Dallas any time soon.

GO STEELERS!!!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 20, 2017 18:14

mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
mr_dja
Socrates1

Peace,
Mr DJA

Super Bowl 51 is actually Super Bowl 49 since Super Bowl 1 and Super Bowl 2 were not called that since it was the second annual (incorrectly listed as third annual on Wikipedia) AFL-NFL Championship game when it was officially called the Super Bowl, which was, revisionist wise ie "officially", Super Bowl 3, but the first named Super Bowl (that's the technically Super Bowl 1 part). For some reason by the time the 5th AFL-NFL Super Bowl came along they started using the ridiculous stupid obnoxious stupid stupid Roman numerals.

Regardless, I figured it was the Super Bowl era being talked about, which is the (since 1967-1970 revised history) new NFL Championship - the original NFL Championships are included in the new NFL Championships. For example...

Green Bay Packers NFL Championships: 13
1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, 2010

Date: January 20, 2017 18:48

So what's with the sore losers on the Seahawks?

And the Dallas fans! What a bunch of idiots!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 20, 2017 20:55

injury reports...

NE/PIT:
[www.patriots.com]

ATL/GB:
[www.packers.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 21, 2017 01:38

Natlanta
NFC is holding at ATL -4, AFC has moved a little to NE -5.5 or -6.

NFC has moved to ATL -5 or -6, AFC is holding at NE -6.

Date: January 21, 2017 06:39

GasLightStreet
mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
mr_dja
Socrates1

Peace,
Mr DJA

Super Bowl 51 is actually Super Bowl 49 since Super Bowl 1 and Super Bowl 2 were not called that since it was the second annual (incorrectly listed as third annual on Wikipedia) AFL-NFL Championship game when it was officially called the Super Bowl, which was, revisionist wise ie "officially", Super Bowl 3, but the first named Super Bowl (that's the technically Super Bowl 1 part). For some reason by the time the 5th AFL-NFL Super Bowl came along they started using the ridiculous stupid obnoxious stupid stupid Roman numerals.

Regardless, I figured it was the Super Bowl era being talked about, which is the (since 1967-1970 revised history) new NFL Championship - the original NFL Championships are included in the new NFL Championships. For example...

Green Bay Packers NFL Championships: 13
1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, 2010

exactly

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 21, 2017 11:40

think pete carroll had a senior moment revealing richard sherman's injury after the season. most likely going to cost us a 2nd round draft pick. can you say d'oh!? sad smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1663
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home