Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Richard/Jones tune?
Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: August 13, 2016 06:46

Might be my favorite Stones boot: Beet beet Beet at the Beeb: BBC recordings 63-65. Fully three quarters are covers from the early years: Jimmy Reed; Bo Diddley...great stuff! There's a cut listed on the CD insert, but not included on the disc called "Dust my pyramids" by Richard/Jones. I'm guessing this is a throw-away jam, but wonderi g if anyone knows anything about it.

Re: Richard/Jones tune?
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 13, 2016 09:56

Does not circulate at all

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 13, 2016 10:03

Who plays and invented the major riff on "Last Time"? I see people say it was Brian Jones. If so this guitar intensive tune could be a Keith-Brian composition with minor Jagger participation

Date: August 13, 2016 10:20

Brian plays it, but we don't know if he created the riff. Maybe he did, maybe someone hummed the riff for him...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 13, 2016 10:55

Brian created it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2016 11:10

triceratops
Who plays and invented the major riff on "Last Time"? I see people say it was Brian Jones. If so this guitar intensive tune could be a Keith-Brian composition with minor Jagger participation

Wasn't TLT a rip-off of a Staples Singers tune?

Date: August 13, 2016 11:17

No, partly yes but not a rip off really. The riff is Brians although loosely based on the Staples Freedom highway and the song is based on this may be the lsst time. Nevertheless the song and the riff are new.

Date: August 13, 2016 11:18

They could have credited it Jagger/Jones/Richards/Staples

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 13, 2016 12:29

Except that the Staples had it listed as "traditional".

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 13, 2016 12:50

What about this one? The greatest Richards/Jones song that never was.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 13, 2016 13:01

The Worst.
[www.youtube.com]

Hear It (Jones/Richards)

Interesting instrumental track. They put a lot of studiowork in it.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 13, 2016 13:09

The Worst.
[www.youtube.com]

Or not.
From Zentgraf:
640831A 31st August - 4th September (not 2nd September): London, Pye Studios and London,
Decca Studios. Producer: Andrew Oldham. Sound engineers: Bill Farley, Gus
Dudgeon. Incl.
- Blue Turns To Grey I (MJ/KR) -demo for Dick & Dee Dee and The Mighty
Avengers
- Blue Turns To Grey II (MJ/KR) -version I with additional backing vocals;
Necrophilia-version
- Da Doo Ron Ron (Phil Spector/Ellie Greenwich/Jeff Barry) -MJ on lead vocals;
recorded 1st September at Regent Sound Studios
- Each And Every Day Of The Year I (MJ/KR) -demo for Bobby Jameson and/or
Thee
- Each And Every Day Of The Year II (MJ/KR) -version I with additional strings
and horns and backing vocals; Metamorphosis-version
- Hear It I (MJ/KR) -instrumental with KR and Big Jim Sullivan on guitars
- Hear It II (MJ/KR) -instrumental with KR and Big Jim Sullivan on guitars;
short stereo Necrophilia-version

- Sleepy City I (MJ/KR) -demo for The Mighty Avengers
- Sleepy City II (MJ/KR) -version I with more guitar and backing vocals;
Metamorphosis-version
- We're Wastin' Time I (MJ/KR) -demo for Jimmy Tarbuck
- We're Wastin' Time II (MJ/KR) -version I with additional pedal steel guitar, fiddle
and backing vocals; Metamorphosis-version
Musicians: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/Jim Sullivan (gtr)/John McLaughlin (gtr)/
Jimmy Page (gtr, maybe bass)/Joe Moretti (gtr)/John Paul
Jones (maybe bass)/Andy White (dr)/Mike Leander (arranger)/
Christine Ohlman (bvoc; recorded later, probably early 70's)/Doug
Schlink (gtr; ; recorded later, probably early 70's)
Note: MJ & KR were probably the only Stones present at these sessions
which results were used for the Andrew Oldham Orchestra or as demos
for other artists.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 13, 2016 13:15

OK, Deltics - I stand corrected if that information is correct.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2016 14:47

DandelionPowderman
Brian plays it, but we don't know if he created the riff. Maybe he did, maybe someone hummed the riff for him...

Yes we do, Keith in a 1965 Beat Instrumental magazine says that Brian came up with it and played it on the recording.

Date: August 13, 2016 15:59

thumbs up Brian created a timeless riff.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 14, 2016 18:56

with sssoul
Except that the Staples had it listed as "traditional".

It IS a (gospel) traditional; not only the Staple Singers did a version of it but also James Brown, and many others.
The riff & lyrics make it a Stones composition, imo -
on could argue that there could/should have been some reference in the credits to the traditional, 'timeless' character of the basic melody they used; but then again, nobody would have benefitted from that (they didn't rip anyone off...), and really nobody cared much about such a thing. Pprinciples on issues like that were much more loose in those days...

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 9, 2019 03:35

Redhotcarpet
thumbs up Brian created a timeless riff.

Agree.. Now regarding "Dust My Pyramids" any new news?

I found another old IORR thread actually titled "Dust My Pyramids (and other lost songs)" but no answer there either

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 9, 2019 12:42

Dust My Pyramids hasn't ever been (re)located despite rumours to the contrary.
The BBC programme log says it was only 25 seconds long.
Several other editions of Rhythm and Blues from that era start with a piece in the region of 30 seconds. I would imagine that this would be an introduction of sorts perhaps with Alexis Korner introducing the band over the top.

recorded 8 October 1964 Rhythm and Blues
general overseas service (later known as World Service)
broadcast 31 October 1964
Introduced by Alexis Korner, Produced by Jeff Griffin

dust my pyramids .25 (Richard/Jones)/ around and around 2.25/if you need me 2.05/i wanna love you (1.45 composer credit - pitney)/mona 3.10/2120 south michigan avenue 3.45

I Wanna Love You is clearly a mis-type of some kind. There is no song approaching that title written by Gene Pitney and listed in BMI / ASCAP or released by him.
My best guess without audio evidence is that it's I (just) Wanna (Make) Love (To) You with a completely inaccurate composer credit. Such a thing is not uncommon in BBC programme logs and sometimes only audio evidence has been able to prove an error in the BBC listings. Sometimes an error occurs with a song title.
examples -
The Beatles played Lonesome Tears In My Eyes by Johnny Burnette on BBC Radio in 1963. The composer credit on the programme log is for Buddy Holly iirc and the title is listed as Lonesome Tears.
Buddy did do a (great) song called Lonesome Tears and if we didn't have a tape we'd assume, yes they must have played a Buddy Holly song, completely plausible.

Roll Along Blues written by Slim Harpo is credited for a Peter Green Fleetwood Mac session in 1969. In actual fact they played I'm A King Bee. Roll Along Blues, well, who knows where that came from. Slim never released such a title.
Back to I Wanna Love You....
It could be that the band mentioned Gene Pitney as regards the 1st LP and Not Fade Away and this was picked up on in error but we are deep into the realms of speculation. Heck, it could be Not Fade Away with a mis-read of the line I wanna love you night and day...????
A tape for 2120 South Michigan Avenue exists but the rest of the show is still missing.
I have asked at least two BBC employees with archive access to check the existence or otherwise of this show. They didn't have it.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 9, 2019 19:09

Thx Ash, love this stuff! I have a copy of Bowie's Diamond Dogs (the picture disk) that has track 2/side 1 listed as Bewitched with songwriter credits, but as far as I can tell there is no Bewitched, just the first track Future Legend. Other copies I own of this album don't have this listed..

Back to the Stones, is the tape of 2120 South Michigan Ave the same as what's on "On Air?"

ash
Several other editions of Rhythm and Blues from that era start with a piece in the region of 30 seconds. I would imagine that this would be an introduction of sorts perhaps with Alexis Korner introducing the band over the top.

dust my pyramids .25 (Richard/Jones)/ around and around 2.25/if you need me 2.05/i wanna love you (1.45 composer credit - pitney)/mona 3.10/2120 south michigan avenue 3.45

I Wanna Love You is clearly a mis-type of some kind. There is no song approaching that title written by Gene Pitney and listed in BMI / ASCAP or released by him.
My best guess without audio evidence is that it's I (just) Wanna (Make) Love (To) You with a completely inaccurate composer credit. Such a thing is not uncommon in BBC programme logs and sometimes only audio evidence has been able to prove an error in the BBC listings. Sometimes an error occurs with a song title.
examples -
The Beatles played Lonesome Tears In My Eyes by Johnny Burnette on BBC Radio in 1963. The composer credit on the programme log is for Buddy Holly iirc and the title is listed as Lonesome Tears.
Buddy did do a (great) song called Lonesome Tears and if we didn't have a tape we'd assume, yes they must have played a Buddy Holly song, completely plausible.

Roll Along Blues written by Slim Harpo is credited for a Peter Green Fleetwood Mac session in 1969. In actual fact they played I'm A King Bee. Roll Along Blues, well, who knows where that came from. Slim never released such a title.
It could be that the band mentioned Gene Pitney as regards the 1st LP and Not Fade Away and this was picked up on in error but we are deep into the realms of speculation. Heck, it could be Not Fade Away with a mis-read of the line I wanna love you night and day...????
A tape for 2120 South Michigan Avenue exists but the rest of the show is still missing.
I have asked at least two BBC employees with archive access to check the existence or otherwise of this show. They didn't have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-09 19:10 by snoopy2.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 10, 2019 02:25

snoopy2
Thx Ash, love this stuff! I have a copy of Bowie's Diamond Dogs (the picture disk) that has track 2/side 1 listed as Bewitched with songwriter credits, but as far as I can tell there is no Bewitched, just the first track Future Legend. Other copies I own of this album don't have this listed..

Back to the Stones, is the tape of 2120 South Michigan Ave the same as what's on "On Air?"

ash

examples -

yes, 2120 South Mich. on On Air is from this show but it's a "soul survivor" at least at the time of writing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home