Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
the history of 'Memo From Turner'
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 12, 2016 16:27

Hi everybody,
as never satisfied with the circulating versions about how and when this song was recorded, this is what I've written, in sight of my forthcoming book on the British discography of the DECCA singles. Any comment?

the story of ‘Memo from Turner’

The very first take of ‘Memo from Turner’ was recorded in London, in September 1968 by the complete Rolling Stones line-up. This session, supervised by the new Rolling Stones producer Jimmy Miller, was meant to record a rough version tape to be used as demo in near future.

LONDON - September 1968
Mick Jagger - vocals, maracas (both later removed)
Keith Richards - guitar
Bill Wyman - bass
Charlie Watts - drums

LONDON - Olympic Sound Studios, 17 November 1968

“Though ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’ would ultimately become a lush, multi-layered extravaganza, Kooper says that in no way did it initially come across as something destined to be an epic. (omissis). Kooper says, “We did an overdub where Keith put an electric guitar and I played the organ at the same time... We were (improvising) and we both had a good little turn... Thaw was a lot of fun and that kind of changed it a lot when those two things went on the track. And I said to Mick that night, ‘If you ever decide that you want to put horns on this, that would just be the icing on the cake in terms of where I got the piano part from”.

LONDON – Olympic Sound Studios, 18 November 1968
Eventually – and belatedly – Jagger would take Kooper up on his offer but at the time the assumption by the Stones seems to have that the track was just about done, for on Kooper’s second (18 November 1968) day of recording there was no attention paid to ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’ at all. Instead, energies were focused on overdubs of ‘Memo From Turner’, a track earmarked for soundtrack of the Performance movie. As only overdubs were required, Watts and Wyman were not present. Not, to Kooper’s recollection, was Miller, with only Andy Johns accompanying himself, Jagger and Richards in the studio.
Mick Jagger - vocals, maracas (both later removed)
Al Kooper - guitar (overdubbed at a second session and later removed by Jack Nitzche)
Keith Richards - guitar (overdubbed at a second session and most probably later removed by Jack Nitzche)
Andy Johns - engineer

”(omissis) Kooper himsels says of the already recorded track on which he overdubbed, “I assumed that it was the Stones and nobody said anything different to me.” To the best of his recollection, there was already a Jagger vocal on the track when he began overdubbing with Richards.”
“It’s difficult to asses what stage in this fraught process Jagger and Richards had reached the evening Kooper worked on the track. (omissis) Despite the claims against Richards of non-cooperation, a lot of work seems to have been done on this song, for the two officially released versions do not - according to Kooper himself – feature Al Kooper’s handiwork. Kooper played not keyboards but guitar at the session he attended”

“(Due to) the affair between Jagger and Pallenberg, “Keith just refused to get down with it”. Philip Norman’s book The Stones quoted director Donald Cammell as saying. “I kept asking Mick, “Where’s the goddamn song?”. According to Norman, “Memo from Turner” – though credited to Jagger/Richards – was actually a collaboration between Jagger and Cammell, an unlikely compositional pairing born out of necessity. It was the Stones who originally attempted to record it but Cammell claimed that Richards tried to sabotage the track again” (§2)
Let’s read Philip Norman: “With Keith against in the studio, the song sounded just awful – still and lifeless.”

LONDON, November 1968

“Jagger recruited a stellar line-up of musician friends to try for a better version, including Ry Cooder and Traffic’s Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi, and it was this version that ended up on the Performance soundtrack, also released as a Mick Jagger solo single"

Mick Jagger - vocals
Steve winwood - bass, guitar, piano and organ (except for Winwood’s bass parts, rest was later removed by Jack Nitzche)
Jim Capaldi - drums
Jimmy Miller - producer
Andy Johns - engineer

Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi recorded the rhythm section of the song (bass, drums and maracas). Once the pace was set, Steve Winwood constructed the song by overdubbing keyboards (piano and organ) and guitar. Most probably, the last overdub were Jagger’s lyrics.

LONDON, 27 November 1968. London Disc-Cutting Centre Ltd.

Making of an acetate, with two different versions both lasting 4:00

LOS ANGELES, Western Studios, December 1968

Jack Nitzche was leading the whole ‘Performance’ soundtrack project and was recording in Los Angeles, togheter with Randy Newman and Ry Cooder. He received a tape from the still non-satisfied Mick Jager.
Under Nitzche’s direction, Winwood’s guitar part was removed to let room for Ry Cooder’s slide guitar and for the guitar of Russ Titelman. Again, they removed the piano and organ tracks to let Randy Newman play new piano parts.

Russ Titelman interview by Timothy White (as published on www.spectropop.com)

In 1969, you found yourself playing guitar on 'Memo From Turner', for Jack Nitzsche's soundtrack to the Mick Jagger film, Performance.
Actually, the core of the studio band on that record was Randy Newman, Ry Cooder and myself, and it was recorded in Los Angeles at Western Studios. But Jagger wasn't there during our sessions. The band Traffic had done a recording of 'Memo From Turner', but Jagger and Nitzsche didn't like it. So we replaced their track, playing along to Jagger's existing vocal and a click track. I played the Keith Richards-sounding "jing-a-jing" on rhythm guitar, and Ry Cooder did the slide guitar parts.
And then Jack and I wrote 'Gone Dead Train', and Randy Newman sang it, and we cut it live. They needed a song for the credits and Jack said he wanted to lyrically use all this voodoo and blues terminology for this story of this faded rock star, a burnt-out character who can't get it up anymore. I saw the track part as Chuck Berry-like in feel but more raucous.

The Performance soundtrack marked your first recording for Warner Brothers Records, but what were the exact circumstances that led directly to your 25-year association with the label?
Well, in the early '60s I used to go over to Reprise Records on Melrose and hang out with Steve Venet, who was the head of A&R there; Steve was the brother of Nick, who produced the Lettermen for Capitol. Anyhow, this was before Reprise, Sinatra's label, was sold to Warners, and I used to see Mo Ostin there. Everything was completely informal then.
The ‘Nitzche’ version recorded in Los Angeles will be used for all the ‘Performance’ movie soundtracks, on Warner Brothers Records. The definitive line-up of this version seems to be:

Mick Jagger - vocals, maracas
Ry Cooder - slide guitars
Russ Titelman – guitar
Randy Newman - piano
Steve Winwood – bass
Jim Capaldi - drums
Jack Nitzche – producer

Re: the history of 'Memo From Turner'
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 12, 2016 16:38

The very first take of ‘Memo from Turner’ was recorded in London, in September 1968 by the complete Rolling Stones line-up

So why is Brian Jones not listed in the following line-up?

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: August 12, 2016 16:43

What did Ry Cooder with the Traffic-guys do in November 1968?

Date: August 12, 2016 16:59

Brian missed the recording sessions, as far as known.
Ry Cooder did nothing in November 1968 in London, he entered the picture in December, in LA, according to Titelman

Date: August 12, 2016 17:01

Sean Eagan in his book talks about of stellar line-up, but does not say where each star didi what. It's true Cooder was part of the stellar line-up, it's not true he recorded his parts in London.

Date: August 12, 2016 17:08

Koen

The very first take of ‘Memo from Turner’ was recorded in London, in September 1968 by the complete Rolling Stones line-up

Because it wasn't recorded by the complete Rolling Stones line up..

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 12, 2016 17:28

Interesting

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 12, 2016 17:52

If a version was recorded in September, did it include "the baby's dead, my lady said" line that I once read was a reference to Marianne's miscarriage?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 12, 2016 17:58

It's hard to distinguish any piano playing by Randy Newman on the Performance version.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: August 12, 2016 18:21

I can't tell if the line is present in very first version.
I can make you sure that it's missing on versions on the acetate.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 12, 2016 21:21

DandelionPowderman
Koen

Because it wasn't recorded by the complete Rolling Stones line up..

Exactly my point.

Hopefully the book will be accurate.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 13, 2016 04:44

Tough spot for Keith.
Hey, help us put together this song that your best friend is going to use in a movie that might springboard him to solo stardom so he can maybe leave the band.
Oh, and he might be doing your new girlfriend, too, only you really can't say anything because you took her from your other friend.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 13, 2016 10:07

Just to support this thread.......One of my favorite Mick or Stones tunes and all hail Ry Cooder!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2016 14:49

The officially released soundtrack version is so bloody good! hot smiley

It's so potent, unique, can't think of anything like it.

One of my favourite stones or related tracks. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-13 15:17 by His Majesty.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: August 13, 2016 17:25

Is the Stones demo the Metamorphosis version?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 13, 2016 18:26

wonderboy
Tough spot for Keith.
Hey, help us put together this song that your best friend is going to use in a movie that might springboard him to solo stardom so he can maybe leave the band.
Oh, and he might be doing your new girlfriend, too, only you really can't say anything because you took her from your other friend.

And lets be honest, both of them treated it as a pretty 'open' relationship.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 13, 2016 19:31

DrPete

wondered that too...definitely the weaker version, imho.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: August 13, 2016 19:55

I'm thinking the Metamorphosis version was the 2nd version which has Winwood on keyboard and other instruments. If so, would love to hear Stones only version

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 13, 2016 19:56

I've often wondered if Decca picked the song up for a single release because they'd been stymied by the Stones giving them "Schoolboy Blues" as their contract fulfilling final single?
The soundtrack album was released by Warner Bros.
The single is also in mono. Does anyone know if it was a dedicated mono mix or a fold-down?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 13, 2016 20:05

treaclefingers
DrPete

wondered that too...definitely the weaker version, imho.

Weaker indeed, but in purpose apparently...

1963luca0
It was the Stones who originally attempted to record it but Cammell claimed that Richards tried to sabotage the track again” (§2)
Let’s read Philip Norman: “With Keith against in the studio, the song sounded just awful – still and lifeless.”

There are 2 stones versions circulating to my knowledge: the Metamorphosis one and an alternate one with different vocals and less overdubs.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2016 23:43

Fwiw there was a good article about the song and its various versions in an early 2000's issue of "Basement News" winking smiley

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: August 14, 2016 00:21

mitch

There are 2 stones versions circulating to my knowledge: the Metamorphosis one and an alternate one with different vocals and less overdubs.

3 "Stones" version

1 - 2'40 - as released on CD "On The Rocks"
rythm guitar - bass - drums
lead guitar
vocal : his knife - we know as Kurt

2 - 2'46 - as released on "The Trident Mixes"
acoustic guitar (left channel)
electric guitar (right channel)
bass & drums - lead guitar
vocal : his knife - we call Kurt

3 - 2'45 - as released on "Metamorphosis"
acoustic guitar
electric guitar
bass & drums
new lead guitar
vocal : the knife

Date: August 14, 2016 00:27

LiveAtHidepark
mitch

3 "Stones" versions - from Basement News

lead guitar

acoustic guitar
electric guitar
bass & drums
new lead guitar

To 1963Luca, thanks and congratulations for the story and the research !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-14 00:29 by LiveAtHidepark.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 14, 2016 00:47

LiveAtHidepark
mitch

3 "Stones" version

lead guitar

acoustic guitar
electric guitar
bass & drums
new lead guitar

OK Hari,
I always though the Trident and the Metamorphosis were the same cut/version.

Date: August 14, 2016 14:08

[www.youtube.com]
Here is the Winwood-Capaldi version which is fantastic. No Ry Cooder at all

LONDON, November 1968_______ Winwood-Capaldi version

“Jagger recruited a stellar line-up of musician friends to try for a better version, including Ry Cooder and Traffic’s Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi, and it was this version that ended up on the Performance soundtrack, also released as a Mick Jagger solo single"

Mick Jagger - vocals
Steve winwood - bass, guitar, piano and organ (except for Winwood’s bass parts, rest was later removed by Jack Nitzche)
Jim Capaldi - drums
Jimmy Miller - producer
Andy Johns - engineer

Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi recorded the rhythm section of the song (bass, drums and maracas). Once the pace was set, Steve Winwood constructed the song by overdubbing keyboards (piano and organ) and guitar. Most probably, the last overdub were Jagger’s lyrics.

Date: August 14, 2016 14:44

Thank you everybody for following this thread and for the congratulations.
I started researching the 'true' (as far as possible) history of 'Memo From Turner' to include it in huge discography of the DECCA British singles I hope I'll release for Christmas, this year.

Please, do not forget that more versions of 'Memo From Turner' exist.
The acetate I mention is in my collection and presents two 4:00-long little different verions. I will publish the illustrations of both sides, in the book.

It's very interesting, as it's not easy to state whose decision it was to cut the song down to circa 2:40.

I guess that Nitzche got the tape used to make the acetate and cut it down.
DECCA Records - yes! It's been used a contract filler - had no interest in the song and shortened it to a lenght suitable for a 7".

Some friends have written to me privately, instead of using the board and text I've published at the start has already been re-worked. If nothing new comes in shortly, I will post the final effort in a week. Thanks again eveybody!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-14 14:52 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 14, 2016 16:34

LiveAtHidepark
mitch

3 "Stones" version

lead guitar

acoustic guitar
electric guitar
bass & drums
new lead guitar

All four or five circulating versions are on the Beggars Banquet Sessions 4CD by OMS.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 14, 2016 16:48

triceratops
[www.youtube.com]
Here is the Winwood-Capaldi version which is fantastic. No Ry Cooder at all

LONDON, November 1968_______ Winwood-Capaldi version

Mick Jagger - vocals
Jim Capaldi - drums
Jimmy Miller - producer
Andy Johns - engineer

It is ace and also, supposedly, the version he mimed to during the filming of Performance, the completed version coming later.

Everything, but Jagger's vocal was replaced.

Date: August 14, 2016 17:59

His Majesty
[www.youtube.com]

It is ace and also, supposedly, the version he mimed to during the filming of Performance, the completed version coming later.
Everything, but Jagger's vocal was replaced.

This is a completed and whole version. Just alternative and different. Sounds a bit like Traffic's Mr Fantasy. The amusing part is that the youtube video of this has all these Prince Jones stills and he did not participate in the least.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-14 18:20 by triceratops.

Date: August 14, 2016 19:13

Monsoon Ragoon
LiveAtHidepark
mitch

3 "Stones" version

lead guitar

acoustic guitar
electric guitar
bass & drums
new lead guitar

All four or five circulating versions are on the Beggars Banquet Sessions 4CD by OMS.

ON OMS

CD3 track 14 - the classic "Jagger" early version
CD3 track 15 - taken from Performance

CD3 track 16 - same as "On The Rocks"
CD3 track 17 - same as "The Trident Mixes"
CD3 track 18 - faked extended version >>>>> CD3 track 14

CD4 track 19 - faked extended version >>>>> CD3 track 14

so NOTHING new

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home