Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hawaii 1966
Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: August 11, 2016 10:29

My Google-foo is not so strong, having trouble finding a live recording of "Under My Thumb" and "Play With Fire" from the 1966 Hawaii show ... Any of you pros know what the definitive recording to have is from the '66 Hawaii show?

Bonus question: Anyone here actually attend that show? Would love to hear whatever sliver of an actual memory you may have from that show, thx

Re: Hawaii 1966
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 11, 2016 10:43

My 65 year old nerighbour in northern Norway attended that show almost by accident as he was sailor in those days and they were partying in Honolulu while bunkering up. He thought it was mesmerizing - especially Jagger and Brian's stage presence. Concerning "definitive recording".....all CD bootlegs of that show are pretty much the same sounding

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 10:58 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 11, 2016 10:47

This concert will soon be released by CODA. The quality will be the same as the bootlegs but it'll be cheap and they have nice artworks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 11:08 by hockenheim95.

Date: August 11, 2016 11:19

Thank you both Hockenheim and Erik ! I knew I'd come to right place on this forum... Your friend in Norway stumbled upon quite the gift ... I'm guessing CODA release will include Under My Thumb and Play With Fire (didn't see those on the bootleg)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 11:23 by Snoopy.

Date: August 11, 2016 12:54

An awesome show!

Cool story, Erik thumbs up

Here's the June 28-show:

Not Fade Away *
The Last Time *
Paint It Black *
Lady Jane *
Mothers Little Helper *
Get Off Of My Cloud *
19th Nervous Breakdown *
Satisfaction

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: August 11, 2016 12:55

Snoopy
Thank you both Hockenheim and Erik ! I knew I'd come to right place on this forum... Your friend in Norway stumbled upon quite the gift ... I'm guessing CODA release will include Under My Thumb and Play With Fire (didn't see those on the bootleg)

I think it will be a straight copy from the bootlegs. They can officially release bootlegs older than 50 years old because of copyright laws.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 11, 2016 14:11

Fantastic , what a blast of fun bright and early this morning for me .Such a wonderfull sound (a lot better than i thought it would be for a 50 year old recording ) how tight the Stones sounded .wow this is my first time hearing a complete Brian Jones era show and it took my breath away , if i was there i imagine i would be going crazy as i have every time i have seen the Stones live .Wonder what guitars Keith was using maybe his Les Paul Sunburst (sounds like a humbucker guitar) which i think he had gotten in 64 or 65 ,Brian in one of the photos on the you tube looks like he has the Gibson sunburst reverse Firebird VII that we all have seen being used by Ronnie Wood .Would love to have Mathijs or sssoul fill me in on this and also on the amps (i know i am asking a lot of questions but i have to know please?) Fantastic mind blowing great show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 11, 2016 18:29

DandelionPowderman
An awesome show!

Here's the June 28-show:

Just for the record, it was July 28, not June. I used to joke with a friend telling him that the Stones played that concert on my birthday, although it was 9 years before I was born. grinning smiley

Date: August 11, 2016 18:34

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
An awesome show!

Here's the June 28-show:

Just for the record, it was July 28, not June. I used to joke with a friend telling him that the Stones played that concert on my birthday, although it was 9 years before I was born. grinning smiley

That's correct, Cristiano. I was mislead by the tag on this YouTube-video smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2016 18:41

DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
An awesome show!

Here's the June 28-show:

That's correct, Cristiano. I was mislead by the tag on this YouTube-video smiling smiley

Ah, ok. smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 11, 2016 21:27

I have a copy but it's all from some crappy AM radio mono broadcast, right? I would love to have something of quality from that time, but this never drew me back to listen to it again. Maybe today.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 11, 2016 21:52

24FPS
I have a copy but it's all from some crappy AM radio mono broadcast, right? I would love to have something of quality from that time, but this never drew me back to listen to it again. Maybe today.
Listen it to and you will marvel at how tight the Brian Jones era Stones were , we all know these songs in our sleep but to hear this early incarnation of the Stones just killing it , it is truly wonderfull !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: August 11, 2016 22:11

TheGreek
24FPS
Listen it to and you will marvel at how tight the Brian Jones era Stones were , we all know these songs in our sleep but to hear this early incarnation of the Stones just killing it , it is truly wonderfull !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed it is! thumbs up

Snoopy
My Google-foo is not so strong, having trouble finding a live recording of "Under My Thumb" and "Play With Fire" from the 1966 Hawaii show?

I'm not sure if those songs were played on that Hawaii concert. At least there's no mention of it on any setlist I've seen. From that same year you can check as an example the bootlegs from the Melbourne concert, which includes Play With Fire with a very fair sound quality:

Date: August 11, 2016 22:22

TheGreek
24FPS

They never were as tight again.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 11, 2016 23:07

DandelionPowderman
They never were as tight again.

smiling bouncing smiley"Far too tight for me!"

Date: August 11, 2016 23:51

grinning smiley

Date: August 12, 2016 04:48

Cristiano Radtke
TheGreek
24FPS

Indeed it is! thumbs up

Snoopy
My Google-foo is not so strong, having trouble finding a live recording of "Under My Thumb" and "Play With Fire" from the 1966 Hawaii show?

I'm not sure if those songs were played on that Hawaii concert. At least there's no mention of it on any setlist I've seen. From that same year you can check as an example the bootlegs from the Melbourne concert, which includes Play With Fire with a very fair sound quality:

Thanks for info... Here is photo I took from website rocksoff
it shows Hawaii '66 as having both UMT and PWF in setlist. Maybe misprint?

Hmmm... don't know how to make a url for the pic, but the list says:
28th July 1966, Honolulu, International Sports Arena
*Not Fade Away
*The Last Time
*Paint It Black
*Under My Thumb
*Lady Jane
*Play With Fire
*Mother's Little Helper
*Get Off Of My Cloud
*19th Nervous Breakdown
*Satisfaction

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-12 04:52 by Snoopy.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 12, 2016 08:17

Just a guess, but since it was a radio broadcast, perhaps they broke for commercials during those two songs.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 12, 2016 10:23

Cristiano Radtke
From that same year you can check as an example the bootlegs from the Melbourne concert, which includes Play With Fire with a very fair sound quality:

Come on, the sound quality is great for a mid-60's recording. It was probably all you could get then by the current recoding techniques.

I the original tapes from the Melbourne and the Honolulu concerts existed you could probably produce a great-sounding live album. The same goes for the Paris concerts Radio broadcasts.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 12, 2016 15:11

From the "ROCKS OFF" setlists page

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 12, 2016 16:15

setlist is wrong, i think they played Undercover of the Night too.

Date: August 12, 2016 16:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-12 16:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 12, 2016 16:20

The Sydney setlist is killer!

Date: August 13, 2016 00:11

Jah Paul
Just a guess, but since it was a radio broadcast, perhaps they broke for commercials during those two songs.

I like that guess. At bottom of setlist it mentions that only tracks 1-3,5,7-10 are in circulation. So whomever put this together must have some info.

Personally it's my dream setlist as those are most of the songs that first hooked me (along with Time On My Side)

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2016 00:15

TheGreek
Fantastic , what a blast of fun bright and early this morning for me .Such a wonderfull sound (a lot better than i thought it would be for a 50 year old recording ) how tight the Stones sounded .wow this is my first time hearing a complete Brian Jones era show and it took my breath away , if i was there i imagine i would be going crazy as i have every time i have seen the Stones live .Wonder what guitars Keith was using maybe his Les Paul Sunburst (sounds like a humbucker guitar) which i think he had gotten in 64 or 65 ,Brian in one of the photos on the you tube looks like he has the Gibson sunburst reverse Firebird VII that we all have seen being used by Ronnie Wood .Would love to have Mathijs or sssoul fill me in on this and also on the amps (i know i am asking a lot of questions but i have to know please?) Fantastic mind blowing great show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guitars and amps would have been some mix of this.

Amps:
Fender Showmans for Brian and Keith
Vox AC100 or Vox UL-460/4120 for Bill

Keith - sonic blue Fender Telecaster, Guild, Gibson goldtop, possibly Gibson hummingbird with pickup for Lady Jane.

Brian - Gibson reverse or non reverse Firebird, Rickenbacker 12 string (he plays slide for motif of Mothers Little Helper on it).

Something like...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-13 00:49 by His Majesty.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 13, 2016 00:29

Are there any of these songs where Brian is doing the repetitive lead riffing like in The Last Time and others?

Date: August 13, 2016 00:39

hopkins
Are there any of these songs where Brian is doing the repetitive lead riffing like in The Last Time and others?

Mother's Little Helper.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 13, 2016 16:33

Hollywood Bowl - 1966

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 13, 2016 19:19

In looking at the '66 setlists, it would be interesting to hear "Stupid Girl" and "Doncha Bother Me"...don't think they've ever appeared on any boots.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2016 20:13

2000 LYFH
Hollywood Bowl - 1966

Brian with slide on his pinky for MLH.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home