Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Eric Burdon/Animals, Yusuf Cat Stevens
Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: August 10, 2016 18:33

Man never in a millions years did I think I would catch these act back on the road! Seeing them in Sept/Nov !

Re: OT: Eric Burdon/Animals, Yusuf Cat Stevens
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 10, 2016 18:37

BamaStone
Man never in a millions years did I think I would catch these act back on the road! Seeing them in Sept/Nov !

You lucky person...both have trod their own path...and not sold out.
Any new material from either of them?
Eric's last album was on ABKCO Records! (Despite The Animals run ins with Klein in the 60's)

Date: August 10, 2016 20:34

Hey jlowe, Not that I know of lately, you know Cat has released a couple in the last few years when it finally came out of the cold, lol. Seeing him at the Ryman, and Burdon at City Winery, Nashville. Thanks!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 10, 2016 21:08

For younger IORRers these are two of the best ever.

You will not be bored for a second.

Date: August 11, 2016 00:27

Hi Stonesrule, lol, I'm not exactly a spring chicken, I'm on my 40th
anniversary tour of seeing shows( close to 250, have nice variety), can mark these off my bucket list for sure..Rock On'

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 11, 2016 00:51

I have probably see Eric at least 10 times over the past 15 years. I try to see him whenever he plays near me.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: August 11, 2016 01:00

Saw Cat/Yusuf in Munich 2011, great gig. Here's the setlist:

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 11, 2016 05:00

I saw Eric Burdon a few months ago - a shortish but excellent set. But...Yusuf has thus far eluded me. On my first trip to London 9 years ago (WHAT? Has it really been 9 years?) I walked past Albert Hall on my last afternoon, only to see that Yusuf and Annie Lennox were performing there the following night. That gig will always be The One That Got Away. [Sigh]

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 11, 2016 05:20

I could have seen Eric at a county fair a couple of months ago, but passed. I was afraid he was into that talk-singing thing that some singers get into. Perhaps I judged him unfairly based on a couple of videos.

Date: August 11, 2016 16:55

marianna
I could have seen Eric at a county fair a couple of months ago, but passed. I was afraid he was into that talk-singing thing that some singers get into. Perhaps I judged him unfairly based on a couple of videos.

Really? What gave you that idea? He rarely talks, he is a singer.

Date: August 11, 2016 17:06

Maybe his Bo Diddley stories?

Date: August 11, 2016 17:14

SomeTorontoGirl

that's right....but those are good stories.

...but nothing like a BB King show where he would spend 60% of the time talking and 40% actually doing music.

Date: August 11, 2016 17:49

BluzDude
SomeTorontoGirl

...but nothing like a BB King show where he would spend 60% of the time talking and 40% actually doing music.

Yup! One headlight. grinning smiley

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 11, 2016 18:18

BluzDude
SomeTorontoGirl

Same with Buddy Guy.
When I saw him some years ago it was mostly talking ... talking ... talking.
I don't think that he played one song from the beginning to the end without interupting it to bla ... bla ...
Maybe I just saw him at the wrong time.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 11, 2016 19:06

I didn't mean talking between songs. I don't have a problem with that. I mean the tendency to use a speaking style while singing some lines, instead of singing a melody all the way through. I've seen Ray Davies do it from time to time in later years, and others. It might have been the style of some of the songs on the original recordings, though, and those were the videos I happened to watch. "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" is a little bit like that on the verses, and "Spill the Wine" has verses that are entirely spoken.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 11, 2016 22:02

Re Mister Burdon, here's a review of his show at City Winery in NYC.

[nodepression.com]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 11, 2016 22:39

In 1970 Buddy Guy and Junior Wells and their hot band opened for the Stones on
a number of dates in Europe. I was very impressed.

One sunny afternoon the Stones were outside leaving for the next gig.
Buddy came over to me and was very friendly. Keith was a few feet away and
heard Buddy say to me: "Why don't you come and look over our bus?"

Keith was a big fan of theirs, too but he took me aside and said quietly --
"Shah, don't you even think about getting on that bus..." I was a little puzzled about how firm he was.

I thought about it and realized that he was trying to protect "my virtue."

"OK Daddy, I'll behave myself," I said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-12 03:35 by stonesrule.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 15, 2016 01:49

Milan
Saw Cat/Yusuf in Munich 2011, great gig. Here's the setlist:

Great setlist........but I do miss Lady D'arbanville

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 15, 2016 06:25

Tea For The Tillerman ('70) was when I first caught up with him and pretty much adored it, I think Wild World hit the charts and that might be the first I heard that led me to want his albums...
... and also the followups Teaser And The Firecat & Catch Bull At Four, then pretty much had lost touch with his catalog...but those albums demonstrated such powerful songwriting and singing, really original, beautifully inspiring and captivating. Great voice too. Glad he's still around...his hall of fame induction mini-concert gave me my first view of now Yusuf after his many years away and he sounded great.
Thanks for posting that setlist poster; it's too cool. I was surprised to have recognized and remembered so many really wonderful songs.

I honestly think there is not one song on Tea For The Tillerman that isn't really outstanding & compelling. It's a rare thing always, this kind of inspired consistency on one album.
Thanks for reminding me of him, IORR fans!!

I was a huge Animals fan too. That original first version of that band could really really play boogie and blues as well as any of their generation at that time imo, the first two albums mostly.
This is a pretty interesting bill. I hope someone here comes back with a review!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-15 06:44 by hopkins.

Date: August 15, 2016 07:01

Great Info, Thanks Guys and Dolls, I'm definitely looking forward to this show, what better place to see him, @the original Grand Ole Opry House!!

Date: August 15, 2016 22:07

Tix for Yusuf safely in hand! Well, no "ticket " per se, entry is by credit card to beat the bots, but finally - going to see Cat Stevens!

Date: September 30, 2016 00:06

Just had to re-visit my old thread, just saw the show 9/27,@Ryman BLOWN AWAY! He had the most elaborate stage set(Cat's Attic) I've ever seen, smoke even coming out of the attic smoke stacks periodically through show(33 songs). A Dream Show!!!

Date: September 30, 2016 00:11

BamaStone
Just had to re-visit my old thread, just saw the show 9/27,@Ryman BLOWN AWAY! He had the most elaborate stage set(Cat's Attic) I've ever seen, smoke even coming out of the attic smoke stacks periodically through show(33 songs). A Dream Show!!!

Saw him in TO earlier this month. It was a great show, wasn't it! smiling smiley

Date: September 30, 2016 00:30

Hey STG, Yeah It Was Fantastic, My First Time too, thought it would never happen, Had a Smile On My Face All Night...He Could Feel The Love For Sure...Maybe he will keep going??!! Take Care...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1391
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home