Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Crossfire Hurricane - late, late problems with it.
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 10, 2016 12:57

After 4 years I managed to see Crossfire.
And very soon I know why I avoided to look at it by instinct for so long time.

It is definetely the badest editet, recherched and arranged piece of film I even saw from my band.
Band-historical timelines are mixed up to a weird cocktail.
To scenes and pictures we hear songs not even recoirder in the time of the foto/film Material.
The quotes of the Band are boring, often heard and most of all fluffy.
Especially Keith is reduced to cliché-Keith with dump drug-quotes we´ve heard a 1000 and more times.
The film stops after the 81 Tour excluding Steel Wheels, Vodoo Lounge, Bridges,
40 Licks, Bigger Bang. Because there was no more time? What a mess..
And the most sadest point about all this is, that the band themselves are responsable for this loveless piece.
Yes one can the intention to come across as the most dangerous band in the world.
But it all went wrong.

Re: Crossfire Hurricane - late, late problems with it.
Date: August 10, 2016 13:03

Why is it that the band themselves are responsible? Brett Morgen directed it.

The All Down The Line-clip more than proved that they are still delivering the goods on stage. It blew the 1981 out of the water, imo.

I liked it, and I do understand how Morgen thoght this out, but it's not my favourite Stones docu.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 10, 2016 13:07

The director's said the intention was to show the band's journey from no ones to persecuted outcasts to widely-beloved icons -
like the archetypal heroes descending into the underworld and emerging victorious - and by 1981 that had happened.
I don't buy that, especially since there's not one word about the way they were ripped off by ABKCO
and found the spirit to carry on regardless. If that wasn't an episode in the archetypal hero journey then nothing was.

In other words I was disappointed too, and I got the feeling the director was as well.
I remember him saying things that indicated that he was subjected to a lot of oversight by RS Inc.

Some of the music is mighty mighty fine, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-10 13:37 by with sssoul.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 10, 2016 13:29

Yes indeed with sssoul, and some of the performance footage is too.

Date: August 10, 2016 13:49

latebloomer

Yes indeed with sssoul, and some of the performance footage is too.

Yeah, right and even some good rareties - but on the whole, well see above.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 10, 2016 13:52

with sssoul
The director's said the intention was to show the band's journey from no ones to persecuted outcasts to widely-beloved icons -
like the archetypal heroes descending into the underworld and emerging victorious - and by 1981 that had happened.
I don't buy that, especially since there's not one word about the way they were ripped off by ABKCO
and found the spirit to carry on regardless. If that wasn't an episode in the archetypal hero journey then nothing was.

In other words I was disappointed too, and I got the feeling the director was as well.
I remember him saying things that indicated that he was subjected to a lot of oversight by RS Inc.

I agree, and was/am disappointed about the docu as well.
Jeroen

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 10, 2016 14:20

The Department of Historical Accuracy was annoyed at the way well-known footage was misused,
like the way the famous BBC coverage of what Mick and Robert Frazier ordered for lunch while on trial
was changed to sound like it was Mick and Keith who placed the order. Directors having zero clue
of what's too familiar to fans to try that kind of stunt with is a problem with a lot of documentaries.
(So here are extra thanks and praises to Julien Temple for avoiding that so wittily in his documentary on Keith)

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 10, 2016 16:03

The film is a huge disappointment if one has seen "25 X 5", "Let it Bleed" and some concert films. I had to laugh when KR says that the Stones "wanted to get away from showbiz" at the beginning of a film, which wastes lots of precious time on showing the Stones in their planes and limousines. And, with all respect, Bill Wyman seemed wittier in his younger years, his remarks do not always give the best impression. Mick Jagger is a great performer, but often tasteless when he tries to influence his public image. If someone does not believe me, he or she may check out the "Miracle Worker" video.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 10, 2016 17:51

Perhaps I'm confusing things, but there was some talks about the plans of a second part being released, iirc.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 10, 2016 18:16

Cristiano Radtke
Perhaps I'm confusing things, but there was some talks about the plans of a second part being released, iirc.

I think that was a wish from the fan community. Jagger said "We can always make #2", but as always nothing came of it.
It's not a bad docu, but it still left a lot to be desired. Where was Stu? One thing I really hated was how Brett Morgan tried to make it seem like the interviews were done on the eve of their 50th anniversary.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 10, 2016 19:20

JumpingKentFlash
Cristiano Radtke

I think that was a wish from the fan community. Jagger said "We can always make #2", but as always nothing came of it.
It's not a bad docu, but it still left a lot to be desired. Where was Stu? One thing I really hated was how Brett Morgan tried to make it seem like the interviews were done on the eve of their 50th anniversary.

I'm almost sure I read that on an article some years ago, but maybe you're right.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 10, 2016 19:22

The problem I have with CH is by letting us have a glimpse of new music they let us peep inside the vaults then they slammed the door on us as in "hey you'll never get to hear or see more of this unreleased stuff in your lifetime".
Grrrrrrr... confused smiley

And the format of the docu is totally has been. It was okay in the 80's but not so cool after that. I mean "25x5" was good but there was no need for a part deux.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-10 19:24 by dcba.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: August 10, 2016 22:39

Not as good as 25 X 5, would be great to have that released again and updated.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 10, 2016 23:14

The stated intent of the film was to recover, or remind people of, the aura of danger that the band projected. Hence the choice to not show the band's contemporaneous wrinkled faces. I think it worked.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2016 23:44

Mel Belli
The stated intent of the film was to recover, or remind people of, the aura of danger that the band projected. Hence the choice to not show the band's contemporaneous wrinkled faces. I think it worked.

They started that in 1973, by showing their faces in hosiery on Goats Head Soup, and in a painting on 1974's It's Only Rock and Roll. Black and Blue, surprisingly, had a straight on photo, the last time they would do that. They showed 'themselves' on the cover of ABB, but it was far away and faces were reduced to CD cover size.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: August 11, 2016 00:19

I'm glad I'm not the only one that dislikes it. While 25x5 was great and I wore out the VHS copy back in the day, I can barely bring myself to watch this. Wish they would put 25x5 out on dvd now.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 11, 2016 01:03

tumblingdice
I'm glad I'm not the only one that dislikes it. While 25x5 was great and I wore out the VHS copy back in the day, I can barely bring myself to watch this. Wish they would put 25x5 out on dvd now.

Yeah, 25x5 was great. would love to see it again !
jeroen

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: August 11, 2016 02:11

I went into it with no expectations, so it's fine for what it is. Some great little snippets, such as the spring 1973 live footage down under, with all those colored ping-pong balls bouncing all over the stage.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 11, 2016 02:43

I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I think the director did a brilliant job.

Date: August 11, 2016 02:49

DandelionPowderman
Why is it that the band themselves are responsible?

Didn't the Stones authorize it?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 11, 2016 05:16

liked it. Especially liked the beginning.....bam right into it no face shots just voice overs...The Stones with a mic... liked that whole concept and the way the story unfolded...it told a story and the music was great.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2016 05:32

Lurv it ... never had a problem with it ...
It's a rush babeee a rush... the title says it all .... 100mph entertainment .
If ya down and fallin' in a steeeeep nose-dive it'll pull ya up outta of the sads in under 60 secs ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: August 11, 2016 06:09

I liked it, but it didn't live up to the trailer which was fantastic....

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 11, 2016 06:21

Lurv it ... never had a problem with it ...
It's a rush babeee a rush... the title says it all .... 100mph entertainment .
If ya down and fallin' in a steeeeep nose-dive it'll pull ya up outta of the sads in under 60 secs ...

Man, that is all the rec I need!!!

I obtained this and a couple of other cool rock DVDs mint recently
and I have been saving this one for a special something or other thing...

and reading this thread was kind of sad...

So it is damned good to hear a trusted opinion say this'll cure that in 59 seconds or sooner!

I was born in a crossfire hurricane!!
And I howled at my ma in the driving rain.
But it's all right now, in fact it's a gas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 06:22 by jambay.

Date: August 11, 2016 09:40

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
DandelionPowderman

No. THEY PRODUCED IT.

Producers:

Mick Jagger
Victoria Pearman
Keith Richards
Charlie Watts

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 11, 2016 14:58

Mel Belli
The thing is that the Stones without the wrinkles is half the Myth.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2016 15:22

I love The Rolling Stones, but I don't love this documentary.

The brief snippets of outtakes (No Expectations) and previously unseen footage (Olympic Studios) is nice, but also very frustrating as it makes it clear they have a shit load of ace stuff that they are not letting us hear or see. hot smiley

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 11, 2016 16:31

'Crossfire Hurricane' is a disappointment, for one VERY important reason. Absolutely NO mention of Ian Stewart. He is only briefly seen in a few clips. As Bill Wyman pointed out in '25 x 5'....it was Brian and Ian who formed the band. How do you not include him?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-14 00:42 by floodonthepage.

Date: August 11, 2016 16:34

caschimann
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
DandelionPowderman

No. THEY PRODUCED IT.

Producers:

Mick Jagger
Victoria Pearman
Keith Richards
Charlie Watts

= paid for it

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 11, 2016 17:41

Executive Producer is someone that hands over tons of money.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home