Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1975 US Tour Revisited
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 8, 2016 21:39

Here's an article about the 1975 Tour; care to share any thoughts and memories?
[www.udiscovermusic.com]

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: 1975 US Tour Revisited
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: August 8, 2016 21:49

A great tour and the 1st Stones show I went too. Philly.
was all excited for the band and it was one big party.

I saw both shows in 75 and loved them both..

Still my favorite shows. They out rocked everyone at the time..
Showing they weren't over the hill.

Great looking back!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 8, 2016 23:02

I DON'T REMEMBER A THING.
Quite sure that I was there however.

Date: August 8, 2016 23:29

I was 15 in 1975 and going to a Stones concert was out of the question with my parents. However, the 1975 tour was the first tour I was acutely aware of and I read everything I could find in the papers etc. about it. I was also thrilled when they announced they would be releasing a live album from the 75-76 tours, having become a rabid fan upon hearing Ya Yas. So although I didn't get to experience it firsthand, the 1975 tour holds a special place in my heart (of Stones). Love LA Friday, of course...

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 8, 2016 23:36

Ahh, how well I remember - or not. Saw them at the Cap Centre in Largo, Maryland, for this tour. I believe there was an opening act and then...a very long wait for the Stones. The arena was filled with puff the magic dragon smoke, beach balls were being swatted all over the place and everybody was feeling good, then antsy, then anxious, because the crowd was wondering, "where in the hell are the Stones?" After what seemed like a two week wait, bam!, there they were. The crowd roared and we were off to the races. I still have pictures I took at this show somewhere - took shots off the monitor hanging over the arena along with shots of the stage. Me and a friend had smuggled 35mm cameras with telephoto lenses in and had them loaded with high speed film. Keith played a great solo on some slower song - don't ask me which - and Billy Preston, bless his soul, put a drag on the show. But, the highlight of the night was Mick riding the giant penis. The crowd went nuts, no pun intended. Still my all time favorite night of seeing the Stones live. Considering how wasted we all were (and this would be most of the crowd at the show along with probably the Stones) by the end, its a wonder we found the parking lot let alone our cars. Glory days, as someone else has put it in a song.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 8, 2016 23:38

Was it this one or '72 where they played on a trailer in NYC?

Date: August 8, 2016 23:47

shattered

It was 1975 that they announced the tour dates playing Brown Sugar on the back of a flat-bed truck. I taped it from the radio and cherished that cassette for many years afterwards!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 8, 2016 23:51

HonkeyTonkFlash
shattered

It was 1975 that they announced the tour dates playing Brown Sugar on the back of a flat-bed truck. I taped it from the radio and cherished that cassette for many years afterwards!

OMG, you still have that cassette correct?

Date: August 9, 2016 00:17

shattered
HonkeyTonkFlash
shattered

OMG, you still have that cassette correct?

I wish...The tape finally ate itself a few years ago; or I should say the tape player ate it...mangled beyond salvation.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 9, 2016 00:21

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: August 9, 2016 00:22

Great footage of the 1975 tour announcement in this piece

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry for the repost -- You beat me to it Cristiano

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-09 00:23 by GS1978.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: August 9, 2016 00:35

SURE, TONY FUNCHES IS ON THAT TRUCK TOO.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 9, 2016 03:24

listening to Scott Muni 102.7 and his reference to Alison Steele The Nightbird brought back great memories. thanks.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 9, 2016 13:56

I saw the '75 tour outdoors in the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida on August 2nd...the opening bands were, Rufus w/Chaka Khan, The Atlanta Rhythm Section and The J. Geils Band...it was my fifth Stones show after '65,'69,'70 and '72! No Lotus Stage and no Mr. Droopy(the sheriff had threatened to shut the show if they used it during Star Star...it was hotter than hell but still a great show, the Stones delivered like they always do!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 9, 2016 15:35

I didn't have the opportunity to see being too young but years later recall the Stones announcement of the 75' tour...

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 9, 2016 15:57

I saw them at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas on July 6, 1975. Two things I remember clearly were a fight in front of the stage where a full bottle of Jack Daniels was cracked over someone's head, and Mick Jagger dancing with Billy Preston.

I was about 20 heads from the left corner of the stage.

It was hotter than hell that day. It seemed to be about a 100º (38º C.)

I was 24 years old that summer. This was my 3rd Stones show after 1969 and 1972, and my first with Ron Wood playing.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 9, 2016 23:54

June 11th 1975 was my first of many Stones shows,it was in Boston Mass, at the old Boston garden, I took this Girl from High School,we had good seats,I think of that show and night from time to time.

Date: August 10, 2016 03:08

....and of course LA Friday is one of my favorite bootlegs but the video...I don't know. What was Mick thinking with all that makeup on? Glad he toned it down in 1978. Guess glam was all the rage in the early seventies but I never felt that it suited Jagger. I much preferred his image in 1969 and then from 1978 on...

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 10, 2016 06:43

31 July, Greensboro, NC was my first of many. That night began my love affair with the band. I was only 15 but remember most of it with clarity. So much fun!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 11, 2016 00:29

I watched L.A. '75 last night. Some things are great, some things you just shake your head at, because, well, it was the 70s. Ronnie was scorching, and Charlie was on. But it was funkier, more loose. Songs like Gimme Shelter didn't really work. This is the only video souvenir we have of this tour. I'd like to see them on other nights.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: August 11, 2016 01:15

1975 - My first of ten Stones concerts, and always a special place in my heart.

Also, at Greensboro, NC July 31

Sure wish I could find a bootleg of that show, but there doesn't seem to be one, anywhere.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 11, 2016 03:11

the start of the live journey for me-god what a great band.they were just fckng evil.

still have fun listening to people who weren't there talk about how good or bad they were playing after they listened to some lame bootleg recorded through a 70's era tape recorder hidden under someones coat-oh sorry,you have "soundboards"-uh,no you don't.
every friend i had,and there were many,who was a taper laughed about telling everyone it was a "soundboard",it was a running joke.

Drugged out,wild,no holds barred,full blast.it just felt like you were peering into the depths of some dark rock and roll nightmare/dreamworld,i've never seen anything like it since.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 11, 2016 04:42

Mongoose

Sure wish I could find a bootleg of that show, but there doesn't seem to be one, anywhere.

I swear there was one but many many years ago. I have not been able to find reference to it since. Seems that a bootleg was being sold thru Creem mag at the time. I had a very good cassette of Greensboro 78 but since lost..to my dismay. Keep looking, Mongoose!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 04:43 by StonedAsia.

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: August 11, 2016 07:37

I attended both of the first shows on June 1, 1975 at LSU.

Jagger sang happy birthday to Ron Wood during the first show.

Got to hear It's Only Rock and Roll, You Cant Rock Me, Luxury, Dance Little Sister and Finger Print File all played live for the first time.

Both shows were awesome.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 12, 2016 17:46

I saw that video dated as 1-5-75 and thought Gotdamn that must've been freezing to do something like that on January 5th!

And then I realized it's that silly English way of numbering dates...

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 12, 2016 20:31

HonkeyTonkFlash
Here's an article about the 1975 Tour; care to share any thoughts and memories?
[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Great story and website!

Thanks for the link!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 13, 2016 11:13

I love this tour - the first after their undisputedly greatest live era (1972-1973 1969-1971)but i love it.they never looked better and Mick never sounded better except for in 1972 and 1973.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 13, 2016 14:15

Mongoose

No tape known of Greensboro I think.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 13, 2016 16:15

Had a chance to go to Jacksonville and didn't (I was only 14 and wasn't a fan yet). Had to wait 6 more years to finally see them. confused smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 13, 2016 16:21

Saw the Stones on the last gig of the 75 tour which was Buffalo, NY in August. Musically, I thought the show was great but I was disappointed by Jagger's singing/barking out the lyrics.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home