Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24
Re: The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé! : A Trip Across Latin America
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 11, 2016 20:55

United States:

Cinema list: [www.FathomEvents.com] .

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 11, 2016 21:01

I wonder why it hasn't got a full cinema release?
Too much of a financial risk for the distributors perhaps?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 11, 2016 21:30

jlowe
I wonder why it hasn't got a full cinema release?
Too much of a financial risk for the distributors perhaps?

They have done this with a few releases. I don't think there would be enough tickets sold for a full release, imho.

Can't wait for tomorrow night!!! Just sucks that I have to drive so far, about a hour, to the theater(Monroeville Mall).

Anyone from here seeing it at one of the two Pittsburgh theaters?

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 12, 2016 17:10

I have my ticket for tonight's screening. Looking forward to it!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 12, 2016 20:11

I'm excited!!! Just a few more hours. Going to hit up the Guitar Center before the show.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 20:57

I will be watching this in New Jersey Tonight. Can't wait, 6 more hours.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 12, 2016 23:15

Ronnie Wood & Keith Richards Discuss Rolling Stones Documentary: 'Olé Olé Olé: A Trip Across Latin America.'

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 12, 2016 23:52

...sad to learn that Ivald Granato passed away ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 00:00

Watching in Michigan tonight! smiling bouncing smiley Hopefully the road crews have removed the 8-10 inches of snow we got last night!

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 13, 2016 01:59

Ready to go!

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: December 13, 2016 02:11

We will be seeing it in less than 3 hours here in San Diego! Meeting at Ruby's Diner in Mission Valley Center, hope to see some other iorrs there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 03:10 by 2014Slayer.

Date: December 13, 2016 02:57

Altamonte Springs, FL. Showtime in a few minutes!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2016 03:43

I was going to go tonight, but couldn't make it darn it.
When Shine A Light was in theaters for one night I was one of only three people in the entire theater.
It was like a private showing, but unfortunately the movie was really poor - this new one should be 100 times better! thumbs up

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 04:58

Just got back! It was *really* well done! I'd watched Mick and Keith doing Honky Tonk Women acoustic on YouTube several times, but it was *amazing* in the theater! Even my husband, who isn't a big Stones fan, was quite impressed with it. About 20-25 people were there (which, considering the icy roads, was quite an achievement), and people were cheering and clapping at the end. It was really sweet.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: December 13, 2016 05:13

Just got back from the movies.
Well made documentary, really liked "Los Rolingas" and of course Country Honk.
But what kind of movie house doesn't sell orange soda? I was looking forward to a Nuclear Waste. . . .

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 13, 2016 05:47

I just love them. God bless.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 13, 2016 05:51

Also just getting back from seeing it in a cinema near Boston. I agree with whoever said 'best movie about the Stones ever.' AWESOME!!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 13, 2016 06:04

Caught the show in Millbury, MA. Brilliant documentary, love those guys!! Interesting three Bridges to Babylon songs were played, including OOC and they fit in nicely.....

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 13, 2016 07:04

I just got back from the theater. Probably twenty or so people. Not terrible for a weeknight, I suppose.

I liked the movie, but didn't love it.

The good:

I enjoyed "fly on the wall" bits like traveling into the Stones' rehearsal space, going into Keith's hotel room, and Mick's look into the camera right before taking the stage in Cuba. The film captures some of the vibe and excitement that builds in the time leading up a Rolling Stones concert.

There were more than a few transcendent moments. Country Honk was amazing, and even better in the theater than on YouTube. The slow-motion shots of the Stones performing in the rain was really cool, especially the shot of Keith, Ron, and Mick at the end of that sequence. Like a fantastic picture come to life.

There is one tracking shot over a city, until it comes in and finds Keith sitting by a hotel pool playing guitar, before the camera widens out over the city again. That was really cool too.

The shots of the city streets as the live version of "Midnight Rambler" plays over it was super. Much of the film is a travelogue of South America, and it's interesting to get a little taste of each country that the Stones visit.

I thought Keith looked quite good. He had a lot of sparkle in his eyes. Watching the expressions on his face as he plays was fun. He seems more mischievous and lively here than the "aw shucks" type that seemed to come through in the recent "Under The Influence" documentary.

It was pleasantly surprising that there was a little sequence featuring Ronnie doing some painting. The film didn't delve into this very deeply, but it was refreshing to see some of Ron's visual artist side, something Stones docs don't usually touch upon.

Out Of Control was a highlight, if only as an excerpt (more on that below). It was so nice to see some video footage of the Rolling Stones in concert that was NOT hyperactively edited! I much prefer longer shots. I always enjoy glimpsing the Stones on stage in those moments when they're not expressly playing to the crowd.

The bad:

The film doesn't really have much of a flow and felt a bit repetitive. There's ten minutes about the Stones, then ten minutes about various fans, then back to the Stones. The fans' stories begin to feel similar after a while. Honestly, I thought some of it felt a little forced. The Mariachi band playing Happy was adorable, but I seriously doubt that song is really part of their usual repertoire. Once the shots of weeping fans reaches double-digits, I don't think it's out of line to characterize much of the film as self-hagiography.

There's not nearly enough Charlie. There's only one small sequence focusing on him, and it's the same ol' "you can't be a drummer at home" soundbite he's been using for years. I guess there's no point trying to make Charlie out to be anything but who he's always been, but as a Stones fan, I always want more Charlie Watts. To be fair, Charlie was hilarious in the opening "exclusive to theaters" intro. Mick recounts seeing a band that was composed of just singers and drummers, and Charlie immediately says "as it should be!"

The handheld camera. It wasn't a problem with the often beautiful slow-motion shots, but at regular speed it often got tiring. One sequence travelling into a makeshift guitar repair shop in Cuba was crying out for StediCam.

The quality of the cameras used varies widely as well. Some shots are sharp, other shots (especially at night) are surprisingly grainy.

Almost all of the music is excerpts. I know this is not a concert film, but only Country Honk and Satisfaction are played in their entirety. (After the credits played, they did show two full performances: Out Of Control and Paint It Black.)

The biggest failing of the film in my opinion is the total exclusion of the other members of the touring band. From what I could tell, not a single one was named or interviewed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2016 07:50

Nice review jahisnotdead - thanks!
Sounds more positive than negative, and I look forward to seeing it eventually.

"Once the shots of weeping fans reaches double-digits, I don't think it's out of line to characterize much of the film as self-hagiography".

Sounds like something U2 would pull....eye rolling smiley...yawn.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: December 13, 2016 07:53

I hang my head in shame I missed the last two songs- I will have to see those on DVD.

It was miss them or spend $50 on a cab.

Loved the film, loved Charlie, Mr. Wonderful, Ronnie saying "sober, sober" to an artist friend who didn't speak English and I agree Mick looking back at the camera was otherworldly...and then he became MICK JAGGER.

I wanted more Cuba that's all.

Overall a beautiful film that treats the fans almost like they treat each other...the sentiment is just under the surface, unspoken, I think that's why they went back and forth, one part us, one part them= Stones.

Never again.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 13, 2016 08:12

jahisnotdead
I just got back from the theater. .

Thank you for your review jahisnotdead, I appreciate your effort and insight.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: December 13, 2016 08:40

I thought it was the best Stones film I have seen. They played a solid mix of old and new music as background music, quite a bit of Exile, Dance Lil Sister, and not too much concert footage, not too little.

Liked how they followed the theme, so to speak, of Gimme Shelter, in terms of how they tried to show how the free concert came together in the midst of a tour, minus all the drama.

Home run on seeing Mick and Keith singing "Country Honk" in the dressing room, and enjoyed how they turned down everything except Keith's guitar in Satisfaction.

Since Tattoo You, Bob Clearmountain has been a gift to the fans.

Never knew how deep the music of the Stones was in Argentina specifically, nice back story.

John

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: December 13, 2016 08:54

Enjoyable film, I agree with the above review though. Several closeups of other band members but no mention of them. Got a real sense of the exitement in these huge venues, of the love their fans have for them. The 2 full songs at the end were a treat. But I enjoyed it, would buy the dvd to see it again. Probably 50 people in theater.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 09:02 by 2014Slayer.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: December 13, 2016 09:34

Just saw the film at South center mall in Seattle. I loved it. Band looked and sounded good, Keith was awesome. The interviews and stories about the fans were really cool. A lot of passion in those places.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: December 13, 2016 10:23

Hi,
On Belgium TV (Canvas) Friday 23th Dec. from 23.10 till Saturday 00.45:
Olé Olé Olé : A Trip Across Latin America.
Greets,

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 13, 2016 10:47

Thanks for the tip, tioms

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 13, 2016 11:05

tioms
Hi,
On Belgium TV (Canvas) Friday 23th Dec. from 23.10 till Saturday 00.45:
Olé Olé Olé : A Trip Across Latin America.
Greets,

Thanks ! Highly recommended !
jeroen

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2016 11:27

2014Slayer
Enjoyable film, I agree with the above review though. Several closeups of other band members but no mention of them. Got a real sense of the exitement in these huge venues, of the love their fans have for them. The 2 full songs at the end were a treat. But I enjoyed it, would buy the dvd to see it again. Probably 50 people in theater.

Only 50 people? Whats the capacity?
People missed a treat. Its one of my favourite Stones movies, certainly more enjoyable than their pure concert films.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: December 13, 2016 16:03

There were only about 10 people at my showing in Knoxville so no energy from anyone in attendance. The screener was late beginning it putting up the 30 minute countdown at 8:10 but then fast forwarding to the start a few minutes later. I also missed the two extra songs after the movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 16:05 by tonyc.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home