Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24
Re: The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé! : A Trip Across Latin America
Posted by: Amy340 ()
Date: September 4, 2016 16:13

I got a ticket for the Sept 17th showing.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 4, 2016 18:41

alieb
it doesn't say anything on Ticketmaster about it being sold out? Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Sweetie, I owe you big time! I would never have thought to go into Ticketmaster directly, I would have beaten my head against the wall that is the TIFF website. Not only did I get a ticket to the Sept 16 gala, I got almost everything else on my list. (It took 2 hours+, but I got it!!!) Lavish thanks! If you want to meet up before the flick, let me know. Praying that it rains Rolling Stones!

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: September 4, 2016 21:40

SomeTorontoGirl
alieb
it doesn't say anything on Ticketmaster about it being sold out? Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Sweetie, I owe you big time! I would never have thought to go into Ticketmaster directly, I would have beaten my head against the wall that is the TIFF website. Not only did I get a ticket to the Sept 16 gala, I got almost everything else on my list. (It took 2 hours+, but I got it!!!) Lavish thanks! If you want to meet up before the flick, let me know. Praying that it rains Rolling Stones!

Yeah me too! I'll probably be outside the theater to assess the red carpet situation prior to the show...my email is pinkandspiky@yahoo.ca if you want to give me a shout! Gonna cross my fingers and bring my sticky fingers record!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-04 21:43 by alieb.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 5, 2016 20:18

A new screening (September 17, 8pm) has been added at Ticketmaster website and there's still some tickets available: [www.ticketmaster.ca]

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: September 6, 2016 18:43

Is there anything known where & when you can see this outside Canada and the US? Will there be any cinema screening? Or shown on something like Netflix? Or is this the bonus DVD from the Havana Moon release?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 6, 2016 19:00

If they release this as a DVD package hopefully it will be near the quality of FOUR FLICKS and not the awful THE BIGGEST BANG/SHINE A LIGHT fiascos.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 7, 2016 03:01

What was wrong with The Biggest Bang? Is it having the Shanghai, Saitama and Buenos Aires shows released only in fragments?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 7, 2016 17:33

Trailer: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 7, 2016 19:12

Toxic34
What was wrong with The Biggest Bang? Is it having the Shanghai, Saitama and Buenos Aires shows released only in fragments?

I like The Biggest Bang alot. Still, I'll concede that Four Flicks was a better overall collection.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-07 19:13 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: September 7, 2016 19:18

Bastion
Trailer: [www.youtube.com]

This is great! They also uploaded a version which is 22 seconds shorter:

Date: September 7, 2016 19:45

This is interesting:

Apart from the TIFF and Miami, it looks like there will be screenings of this documentary in Roma, Rio, Mexico City (October 11) and Calgary (September 25 and 27).

Re: The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé: A Trip Across Latin America
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 7, 2016 20:58

bye bye johnny
Film's closing The American Film Institute (AFI) 2016 AFI Latin American Film Festival at the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center in Silver Spring MD.

[silver.afi.com]

It will be shown in DC area too Christiano, and I gots the ticket to prove it! smiling smiley

Re: The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé: A Trip Across Latin America
Date: September 7, 2016 20:59

latebloomer
bye bye johnny
Film's closing The American Film Institute (AFI) 2016 AFI Latin American Film Festival at the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center in Silver Spring MD.

[silver.afi.com]

It will be shown in DC area too Christiano, and I gots the ticket to prove it! smiling smiley

I was so excited watching this trailer that I completely forgot about it. smiling smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 7, 2016 21:26

Date: September 7, 2016 21:34

bye bye johnny

>>> LARGER version <<<

[www.rollingstones.com]

Thanks, bye bye johnny. There will be a hotsite too, although it redirects to Eagle Rock store website: [www.stonesoleoleole.com]

Posted by: wildhorses260 ()
Date: September 8, 2016 02:55

Am I reading right that the film is premiering at 1:30pm on Saturday? Traveling to Toronto.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 8, 2016 15:09

The documentary captures blistering performances and unique personal experiences as the band visited Latin America for the first time in ten years. True pioneers of rock, the Stones, who have toured every corner of the globe, explored new horizons bringing their high octane performances to countries Uruguay, Peru and Colombia and the city of Porto Alegre, and of course, Cuba, for the very first time. Fans will see Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood mesmerize their generations of fans with full performances of classic hits from their extraordinary catalog such as, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll”, “Wild Horses”, “Honky Tonk Women”, “Sympathy For The Devil”, “Paint It Black” and “Miss You”.
from rollingstones.com

Man, I thought we can see songs like She's a Rainbow, Worried About You, She's so cold, Beast of Burden, Like A Rolling Stone, Dead Flowers and Let's Spend the Night Together which are NOT featured in the Cuba concert.

Date: September 8, 2016 15:16

hockenheim95
The documentary captures blistering performances and unique personal experiences as the band visited Latin America for the first time in ten years. True pioneers of rock, the Stones, who have toured every corner of the globe, explored new horizons bringing their high octane performances to countries Uruguay, Peru and Colombia and the city of Porto Alegre, and of course, Cuba, for the very first time. Fans will see Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood mesmerize their generations of fans with full performances of classic hits from their extraordinary catalog such as, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll”, “Wild Horses”, “Honky Tonk Women”, “Sympathy For The Devil”, “Paint It Black” and “Miss You”.
from rollingstones.com

Man, I thought we can see songs like She's a Rainbow, Worried About You, She's so cold, Beast of Burden, Like A Rolling Stone, Dead Flowers and Let's Spend the Night Together which are NOT featured in the Cuba concert.

And hopefully Ruby Tuesday, which was one of the highlights of the Porto Alegre concert. (sigh)

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: September 8, 2016 16:59

wildhorses260
Am I reading right that the film is premiering at 1:30pm on Saturday? Traveling to Toronto.

no 9:30 p.m. on Friday... at Roy Thomson Hall

Date: September 9, 2016 05:25

alieb
wildhorses260

no 9:30 p.m. on Friday... at Roy Thomson Hall

Date: September 9, 2016 05:27

Thanks for the info re Premiere on Friday at Roy Thomson Hall. I realize it is the private showing on Saturday at 1:30pm. Thanks for the reply to my question!

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: September 11, 2016 07:28

Excellent review from the Hollywood Reporter:

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: September 11, 2016 22:21

micwer
Excellent review from the Hollywood Reporter:

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

True! Have I said before, that I love Stones docus? Well,

Music naturally plays the central role here, but the film usefully lays in historical and political details that lend it more heft and poignancy than most films of its type. ( ... ) When they arrive in Buenos Aires, we learn that the Stones, as Brits, were not allowed into the country for years because of the Falklands War. One result was the birth of a Stones cult called “Rolingas” that exceeds perhaps all other devotees in their fanaticism. The concert in Uruguay is their first ever there, and we see snippets of their visits to Peru, Colombia and Mexico as well, always supplemented by details that provide a bit of cultural specificity. ( ... ) The final 25 minutes are devoted to the Cuban concert, no doubt quite the biggest event without a Castro as the headliner to ever be staged in the country.

So we get 25 Minutes from Cuba and (hopefully) 70 minutes from interviews and backstage scenes, which I like most.

Can't wait! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: September 11, 2016 22:49

Review from NPR's Linda Holmes:

Courtesy of TIFF

The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé! : A Trip Across Latin America

The rock 'n' roll tour documentary is a tough genre to enliven, and starting with a band that's been as widely studied as The Rolling Stones seems a sure path to making it even harder. The hook of this film, though, is that it covers the band's tour earlier this year that concluded with a hard-won show in Havana, Cuba, the result of intense and protracted negotiations and occurring coincidentally only days after President Obama visited.

It's easy, I think, for people in the United States and Europe to think of The Rolling Stones as long into their institutional phase, in which there's no danger left in them at all. (Though take note: one development in the film suggests they're still not high on the Pope's list.) In fact, they were the second Super Bowl halftime show (after Paul McCartney) following the Janet Jackson And Justin Timberlake Incident — they were one of the bands brought in to make sure nothing out of hand happened. And they were censored a bit anyway.

But the thesis of this film is that in parts of Latin America in particular, they have a following that associates them still with genuine rebellion, with times when an English rock band was actually something you weren't allowed to listen to and certainly seemed unlikely to ever see live. Devotion runs deep: there's a fascinating little trip into an Argentine subculture called the Rolingas, who are dedicated to the Rolling Stones and to bands that emulate them.

Mick Jagger may be 73, but the crowds the band draws on this tour are young and old, and they are enraptured, ecstatic in nearly the religious sense of the word, at the opportunity to see the show. Joy that looks like it has simply become too massive to contain explodes out of people as dancing, as weeping, as screaming. And part of that does seem to come from not having had the opportunity to learn to take The Rolling Stones for granted, as many have. In Havana, in particular, where crowd estimates suggested hundreds of thousands of people were at the free outdoor show, The Rolling Stones are still more than just The Rolling Stones. As some of the concertgoers in the film explain, they never, never expected to see this in their lifetimes.

There's no getting around the fact that you still kind of need to be interested in The Rolling Stones to want to watch a whole documentary about them at this point, given that they have never been publicity-shy. There is not so much here that it will likely enthrall anyone completely uninterested in the topic at hand. But this is more than a victory lap for a veteran act; it's an attempt to explain what it looks like when you exist as an institution but can still tour as a rebellion.

[www.npr.org]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 11, 2016 23:23

I'm still confused by this one. Is it the kind of film only seen at the festival or we will have it on DVD at some point? Obviously the Cuba gig is coming but seems like they wouldn't put out both.

Date: September 11, 2016 23:34

Nothing official, but since it's an Eagle Rock (and JA Digital) production, seems likely that it will be released on it's own or as part of a twofer with "Havana Moon".

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 12, 2016 01:09

bye bye johnny
Nothing official, but since it's an Eagle Rock (and JA Digital) production, seems likely that it will be released on it's own or as part of a twofer with "Havana Moon".

That would be nice!! thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 12, 2016 07:15

hockenheim95
Fans will see Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood mesmerize their generations of fans with full performances of classic hits from their extraordinary catalog such as, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll”, “Wild Horses”, “Honky Tonk Women”, “Sympathy For The Devil”, “Paint It Black” and “Miss You”.
from rollingstones.com

Gee, what a novel come on. Such songs, rarely played for the general public.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: September 12, 2016 16:42

24FPS
hockenheim95
Fans will see Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood mesmerize their generations of fans with full performances of classic hits from their extraordinary catalog such as, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll”, “Wild Horses”, “Honky Tonk Women”, “Sympathy For The Devil”, “Paint It Black” and “Miss You”.
from rollingstones.com

Well, yeah. Like rarely played as in NEVER (such as Ciba) Thats part of the reason for this and the co-inciding tour documentary.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 12, 2016 16:49

Monkeytonkman
24FPS
hockenheim95
from rollingstones.com

Well, yeah. Like rarely played as in NEVER (such as Ciba) Thats part of the reason for this and the co-inciding tour documentary.

But they played rare songs on that tour. It would be sad if they don't include them.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home