Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Jagger shoves Bill Wyman on stage! General mistreatment of Bill
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 27, 2016 18:06

Like most people Bill has his own thoughts...

I spent time on tour with the Stones and I never witnessed Bill "crying and complaining all the time." Nor did the other band members complain about him.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2016 18:08

More Hot Rocks
Bill has always been a mama's boy. Crying and complaining all the time. Sorry but it's true.

Revisionist history much?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 27, 2016 18:34

Sorry but it's beyond me to fathom how anyone could possibly see that video and then start a thread about mistreatment of Bill. Seems like intentionally wanting to start a controversy about something that was never there, from an incident almost 40 years ago.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2016 18:36

It's very... it reminds me of a mindset that wrapped up it's bullshit in Cleveland last week... really having a difficult time spelling it out.

Oh wait - I did. Nevermind.

Date: July 27, 2016 18:53

LeonidP
Sorry but it's beyond me to fathom how anyone could possibly see that video and then start a thread about mistreatment of Bill. Seems like intentionally wanting to start a controversy about something that was never there, from an incident almost 40 years ago.

He just didn't get what was happening, or haven't seen Mick on stage that much..

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: July 27, 2016 19:44

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP

He just didn't get what was happening, or haven't seen Mick on stage that much..

MJ demonstrating that traditional British form of humour called "generally pissing about". Evidenced often in songs and on stage. Sometimes translates, sometimes doesnt.

Date: July 27, 2016 20:10

Not sure if that's particularly british grinning smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 27, 2016 20:13

DandelionPowderman

LOL

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 27, 2016 20:18

DandelionPowderman

Maybe not. But I couldn't imagine German or US bands (as much as I love those countries) "generally pissing about" on record in the style of Too Much Blood, Dear Doctor or Far Away Eyes. I like 'em, others may hate 'em - which is what I meant by not always translating.

(now I am sure someone will provide an example to prove me wrong...)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 27, 2016 20:24

LeonidP

Completely agree. And it wasn't even an incident. smoking smiley

Date: July 27, 2016 20:27

Koen
LeonidP

Completely agree. And it wasn't even an incident. smoking smiley

Handbags (in the vernacular)

Date: July 27, 2016 20:35

JumpinJimF
DandelionPowderman

Maybe not. But I couldn't imagine German or US bands (as much as I love those countries) "generally pissing about" on record in the style of Too Much Blood, Dear Doctor or Far Away Eyes. I like 'em, others may hate 'em - which is what I meant by not always translating.

Ha, don't need an example, it's just wrong. You don't get out much, it seems to me! smiling smiley

Date: July 27, 2016 20:45

LeonidP
JumpinJimF
DandelionPowderman

Ha, don't need an example, it's just wrong. You don't get out much, it seems to me! smiling smiley
Maybe I don't but I've travelled a lot. C'mon, examples! smiling smiley

Date: July 27, 2016 21:48

JumpinJimF
LeonidP
JumpinJimF
DandelionPowderman

Maybe I don't but I've travelled a lot. C'mon, examples! smiling smiley

Well I could search for almost any band to see similar ... but I know just from me and my mates, we would often jokingly shove each other. We even have been known to do it in crowded areas, shove your friend into someone else just to see if you can stir up some trouble.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 28, 2016 19:49

mick was just messing around-the bigger question is why all of this video isn't redone in the way that "charlie is my darling was"?

there is so much footage of classic stones performances just lying around.this 76 footage is really good-mix it with some other stuff and the knebworth show and you could make a movie of the 1976 european tour.

the outtakes from gimme shelter,kokcsucker blues,the hours of live footage and interviews you see on you tube all need to be digitally cleaned up and put together year by year.

the stones really need someone with bill german-like devotion to the band to act as a sort of museum curator,securing the rights and putting this stuff together in one place.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: July 29, 2016 05:44

In Let's Spend The Night Together, Mick runs by Bill and rubs his head, making Bill smile at him....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 29, 2016 08:42

This is so funny. Mick and Bill actually KNOW each other. Before they were famous. As part of a small group that ascended to world status. That made brilliant records together. That went from dumps to football stadiums. They still have dinner together. Bill kicks back at him, like a friend would. They don't know each as world famous rock stars. They know each other as people.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 29, 2016 12:00

LeonidP

thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 29, 2016 12:04

JumpinJimF
DandelionPowderman

Interesting challenge.
The only example ocurring to me right now is Van Halen. David Lee Roth does nothing but pissing about, I'd say. It's not particularly subtle, but anyway.

Date: July 29, 2016 14:58

OK thanks, hadn't seen that.

In my mind I was thinking about that thread of humour (some successful, some not, mostly ironic, self-deprecating and silly) that runs through Edith Grove nankering, petrol stations, Downtown Suzie, Dear Doctor, inflatable phalli, "alright Margaret", sailor suit videos, Too Much Blood, onstage corny jokes and the recent "Python" sketch etc. That thread is culturally British, instantly identifiable and not really translatable to any other culture.

That doesn't make it better than anyone else's humour of course and it's a bit hit and miss (but I like it, yes I do - most of the time anyway) which is probably why a lot of fans probably hate some of the examples I've given.

There are traces of this in The Who's onstage banter as well, but PT's jokes are so layered in irony and subtle sarcasm that most people think he's being grumpy, which I don't think he is most of the time.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 29, 2016 15:26

More Hot Rocks
Bill has always been a mama's boy. Crying and complaining all the time. Sorry but it's true.

As the only band member old enough to live through and remember WW2, growing up in absolute poverty in one of London's toughest areas (at the time) with 4 siblings who all had to share one and the same toothbrush, I sincerely reject the notion that "Bill has always been a mama's boy". Quite the opposite, I think Bill is the most solid and independent of the lot.

Date: July 29, 2016 15:30

JumpinJimF
OK thanks, hadn't seen that.

In my mind I was thinking about that thread of humour (some successful, some not, mostly ironic, self-deprecating and silly) that runs through Edith Grove nankering, petrol stations, Downtown Suzie, Dear Doctor, inflatable phalli, "alright Margaret", sailor suit videos, Too Much Blood, onstage corny jokes and the recent "Python" sketch etc. That thread is culturally British, instantly identifiable and not really translatable to any other culture...

I think those are more 'human' than just British. It's common for each culture to want to think of themselves as having a uniqueness that is not really all that unique.

Date: July 29, 2016 16:05

matxil
JumpinJimF
DandelionPowderman

Interesting challenge.
The only example ocurring to me right now is Van Halen. David Lee Roth does nothing but pissing about, I'd say. It's not particularly subtle, but anyway.

Lots of rock bands from many countries piss about - with shoving, phony accents, the blues intonations, androgynity and more.

However, I must admit there is a certain charm to brits who do it smiling smiley

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 29, 2016 20:03

Come On
Well nows the fact that Bill were tha @#$%&..thats why the friendly push...

Say what ?

Date: July 31, 2016 12:21

I love clips from European shows in 70's!
Can anyone figure out what happens right at the beginning of the clip, when they are filing through towards stage? First Keith, and then Mick seem to pause by the girl there who has something in her hand that they address. Mick is seen walking away rubbing his mouth (?)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2016 12:35

Can anyone figure out what happens right at the beginning of the clip ....

Ronnie's singin' .... Ike & Tina turner -- A Love Like Yours

ROCKMAN

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 31, 2016 17:01

Sometime I think all those conflicts between band members are exaggerated a lot. It is perfectly normal to quarrel sometimes or not speak to each other much if you are together so close for three decades, and that is even more true in the very tough music business. On other times you are the closest of friends and you are completely happy to play in such a great band. Don't you have close friends whose negative sides you know and hate as much as you like their great sides?

The Stones would not have existed so long if any member had been basically a stinker. Bill certainly wasn't but why should he have been happy about everything that happened within the band? I do believe that Mick and Keith know exactly what Bill (or Mick Taylor) did for the band. He was crucial not only for his bass playing but also for his commitment and for his ability to play 'second fiddle'. At the same time he appears to have been a stabilizing element in the Stones. Imagine Bill and/or Charlie being as outgoing as Mick or Keith - the Stones would have broken apart after a short time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-31 17:04 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 31, 2016 19:41

mtaylor
In 1989 IMAX, he gives Bill a big hug

Let me interject a personal opinion on arm wraps or hugs. We have all seen Jagger do so many times, although during the last few decades only at the end of a show. When I see one of these "hugs," I always look at the hands. If the hand grabs onto the person, it is a meaningful gesture, if it is just an arm wrap with a dangling hand then it is just for show. I read everything into it.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 31, 2016 20:05

Palace Revolution 2000
First Keith, and then Mick seem to pause by the girl there who has something in her hand that they address.
Mick is seen walking away rubbing his mouth (?)

That's Jo Bergman, no? I have no idea what she's got there. Sticks of gum?
Mick seems to be doing a lip-gloss touch-up as he proceeds.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2016 00:35

^^^^^^^^ Yeah I go lip-gloss tooooooooooooooooo ... gotta keep dem lips moist babeeee .... moist ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home