Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Track Talk: You Got Me Rocking (New)
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 27, 2016 23:13

Fantastic ! rock'n roll simple and powerful as in the tradition RS. Maybe for the old fans this is too .... poor things.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 2, 2016 17:14

a pedantic homage to their past.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 2, 2016 17:32

I was thinking a pedestrian homage to their past.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 2, 2016 18:08

A pedantic, pedestrian homage? No, a superb homage.
YGMR is a powerful song designed to please huge crowds, it stands as tall as their best rockers like Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, One Hit, Flip The Switch, Doom And Gloom, JJF, Rough Justice and Undercover Of The Night. It is pure Stones magic and delivers everything any Stones-fan could wish for.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 2, 2016 19:59

you got me rocking dosent stand up to brown sugar, jj flash or undercover of the night in my opinion, each to their own, but it dosent do it for me, there is so many better songs and why it became a semi warhorse and has been played more regularly than so many better songs i will never get.

its a rather bland song and live versions although better than the studio, which isnt saying much i just cant find a reason for promoting this song. they have released better since 1994, stuff like gunface, doom and gloom, rough justice, flip the switch didnt get the same treatment as you got me rocking.

Date: August 2, 2016 20:02

HMS

Nope. Wrong again.

HMS
YGMR is a powerful song designed to please huge crowds, it stands as tall as their best rockers like Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, One Hit, Flip The Switch, Doom And Gloom, JJF, Rough Justice and Undercover Of The Night. It is pure Stones magic and delivers everything any Stones-fan could wish for.

Nope. Wrong again. UOTN and One Hit are not "best rockers". Quit fictionising their catalogue.

Date: August 2, 2016 20:07

buttons67
you got me rocking dosent stand up to brown sugar, jj flash or undercover of the night in my opinion, each to their own, but it dosent do it for me, there is so many better songs and why it became a semi warhorse and has been played more regularly than so many better songs i will never get.

its a rather bland song and live versions although better than the studio, which isnt saying much i just cant find a reason for promoting this song. they have released better since 1994, stuff like gunface, doom and gloom, rough justice, flip the switch didnt get the same treatment as you got me rocking.

I mostly agree with you... except for that bit about the horrible Gunface.

You Got Me Rocking is really You Got Me Blanding. It's so pedestrian. It's the Stones asleep or, even better in terms of new material, Stones-by-numbers. They've had great songs that didn't go anywhere for the most part, that just have 2 parts to them - Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, SFTD, SFM, JJF and Tumbling Dice just to throw a few out there. YGMR in no way is close to those.

Date: August 2, 2016 21:11

GasLightStreet
HMS

Nope. Wrong again.

HMS

Nope. Wrong again. UOTN and One Hit are not "best rockers". Quit fictionising their catalogue.

Undercover Of The Night not belonging to their best rockers???
Imo, it is one of their five most impressive rockers of all time, it is classic Stones-riffing combined with modern studio technique and all parts fit together perfectly. Since then they havent recorded a more impressive rocker, some come close (Flip The Switch, One Hit, Doom And Gloom) but in the end fail to reach that height, Undercover Of The Night tops it all. The studio version is true perfection, live they´ve had always a hard time with it, but nevertheless the Shine-A-Light-DVD contains a brilliant live-version.

Undercover Of The Night in the early 80s is what JJF was in the late 60s. The Stones at their peak, it cant get any better than that. Not even One Hit To The Body is as good as Undercover Of The Night and that says a lot. Even Start Me up has to step back.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 3, 2016 00:44

Undercover Of The Night sounds terribly dated today while true "classic Stones" rockers don't. Go figure why. However, it's still miles above You Got Me Rocking and Rough Justice which sound terribly forced to sound like "classic Stones" (same goes for Don't Stop).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-03 00:49 by alimente.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: August 3, 2016 06:38

It rocks. Great lyrics, great bridge, great solo, great live. Not as good as Love is Strong, but if you don't like it, you are looking for things in latter day catalog not to like. It's better than anything between 73 and 78.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 3, 2016 09:40

A Great, simple Track. The live version is better than the Voodoo Lounge Version. It rocks and rolls.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 3, 2016 14:00

bitusa2012
Stones by numbers. "Hey Keith, play a scratchy intro, put a couple of simple riffs on top, I'll sing 'hey hey'...a lot... And we'll see how we go", says Mick.

Plodding, formulaic... Fail.

That about sums it up! At least it's better than Sparks Will Cry and I Go Wild (with the awful stadium rock breakdown).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 3, 2016 17:40

GasLightStreet
I was thinking a pedestrian homage to their past.

just to be clear, it could be both and by my not saying pedestrian I didn't mean to say that it wasn't pedestrian.

clearly it is also pedestrian.

Date: August 3, 2016 18:15

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS

Nope. Wrong again.

HMS

Undercover Of The Night not belonging to their best rockers???

Right. It does not belong among "their best rockers". In terms of their modern output, it pales ghostly to Sad Sad Sad, Flip The Switch and their last one, Rough Justice. Hell, even Too Tight. Aside from the sterile Hold On To Your Hat, that's all of the real rockers that they've done since 1989. Before that their last rocker was Hang Fire.

HMS
Imo, it is one of their five most impressive rockers of all time, it is classic Stones-riffing combined with modern studio technique and all parts fit together perfectly. Since then they havent recorded a more impressive rocker, some come close (Flip The Switch, One Hit, Doom And Gloom) but in the end fail to reach that height, Undercover Of The Night tops it all. The studio version is true perfection, live they´ve had always a hard time with it, but nevertheless the Shine-A-Light-DVD contains a brilliant live-version.

Well, once again, your opinion is wrong. On all counts, especially the SHINE A LIGHT bit.

HMS
Undercover Of The Night in the early 80s is what JJF was in the late 60s. The Stones at their peak, it cant get any better than that. Not even One Hit To The Body is as good as Undercover Of The Night and that says a lot. Even Start Me up has to step back.

That is so far beyond any - even 1% - reality that it's hilarious. The hilarity that comes from you is entertaining. Only a troll would say such stupid crap. In the real world no one would even consider such an ignorant thing to say that UOTN is the 1980s Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Date: August 3, 2016 23:37

If you cant recognize the greatness of Undercover Of The Night you must have a different version of it on your LP. It knocks me off my feet every time I listen to it, it is a classic - no wonder it can be found on any sampler they released post Undercover. Every person I ever played the song to went "Ah...that´s really something". Even folks who usually do not like the Stones are positvily impressed.

Date: August 3, 2016 23:40

I didn't say I thought UOTN sucks. It's simply not amongst their best. It's on the compilations because it was a single. Duh.

I happen to think it's an outstanding tune. But it only works on record and it's no Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 4, 2016 00:11

treaclefingers
a pedantic homage to their past.

Yes a hollow yell in their dome.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 4, 2016 00:25

Just an OK rocker; not terrible or great....It deserves neither slamming nor praise...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 4, 2016 00:43

I was never a fan of Rough Justice, I'm not sure why, it just doesn't move me.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2016 00:53

Maybe try a fruit laxative instead ............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 4, 2016 04:17

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 4, 2016 09:11

I love the recorded version of the song but I'm not a huge fan of it live. Many Stones songs are better live than on record - eg JJF, Street Fughting Man, Midnigt Rambler - but I would put YGMR in the category of "great record, not so great live". I would also put Brown Sugar, Miss you, Honky Tonk Women in this category.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 4, 2016 09:50

Shott
It rocks. Great lyrics, great bridge, great solo, great live. Not as good as Love is Strong, but if you don't like it, you are looking for things in latter day catalog not to like. It's better than anything between 73 and 78.

Great lyrics?!?!?

You Got Me Rocking is a turd with no legs (as are most of the songs in the latter day catalog). But incredibly it is a turd with fans. Truly remarkable.

But as I'm a fan of diversity and inclusion you may keep calling yourself a 'real' Stones fan with my blessing.

Date: August 4, 2016 12:25

It has great lyrics indeed.

Date: August 4, 2016 19:48

YGMR has "great lyrics"?

Date: August 4, 2016 20:59

So what´s wrong with that:

I was a butcher cutting up meat
My hands were bloody, I'm dying on my feet
I was a surgeon till I started to shake
I was falling but you put on the break

I was a pitcher down in a slump
I was a fighter taken for a sucker punch
I'm feeling bad, guess I lost my spring
I was the boxer who can't get in the ring

I was a hooker losing her looks
I was a writer, can't write another book
I was all dried up, dying to get wet
I was a tycoon drowning in debt

confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

Very fine lyrics.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 5, 2016 02:11

HMS

Very fine lyrics.

Unfortunately you didn't quote the second part of the lyrics which is much finer...

I said hey, hey
You've got me rocking now
Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey
There ain't no stopping me

Hey, hey, hey
(You've got me rocking now)
I said hey, hey, hey - yeah
I said hey, hey, hey
(You've got me rocking now)

Hey, hey, hey - ahh...
Hey, hey

That's all right - oh
Come on, baby, right here
Come on, come on...

Yeah...
Hey... hey, hey, hey, hey

Don't you stop me, don't you stop me
Don't, don't you stop me
Oh you got me
Oh - yeah...

Whoo!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 5, 2016 02:21

HMS

Very fine lyrics.

*I'm agreeing, fantastic lyrics. And Jagger's magnificent.
There is something about the studio recording track, tho, that's off/ too fast/ it SHOULD work, just not on the RS ledge, I can't quite formulate, I want it to work, I want to be able to sing these lyrics and pound my steering wheel, once or twice I could catch it,
but hearing the live versions, Yes. Better live.
And the lyrics are smart here, it comes across that way for sure.

Also, it takes a lot of energy to like this song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-05 02:23 by 35love.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 5, 2016 04:06

HonkeyTonkFlash
Just an OK rocker; not terrible or great....It deserves neither slamming nor praise...

Almost true. However, its Stones by numbers, not only character, but even approach, make the song rather mediocre than medium in a Rolling Stones context. No magic present here either. I accord greater merit to latter day Stones songs more original in approach. And I am among those interested also in latter day Stones music.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 5, 2016 11:10

Always liked YGMR; on record it definitely has an urgency and its loud, raucous and rocking. Nowhere near their best but a fine second tier rocker. Lyrically nothing special but the band is cookin' instrumentally.

Undercover of the Night mentioned in previous posts and I have to say i would find that a much better track than YGMR. Undercover has damn good lyrics, its slightly dated sonically, yes, but still packs quite a punch. Live on SAL i thought it sounded excellent. Definitely one if the highpoints of the 80s, Undercover is a real sizzler - the extended 12" mix is even better.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home