Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Track Talk: You Got Me Rocking
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 17, 2020 21:03

emotionalbarbecue
Am I the only one who thinks U2 copied/plagiarized this song?

I am refering to Vertigo.

Just listened to it a couple of times. I would say that they at least must have been inspired by several well recognizable Keith licks. But copy ? That's what I would say of Hot Legs vs Crazy Mama.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 18, 2020 00:25

No similarity at all - different approach.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 18, 2020 00:27

video: [youtu.be]

The riff at the end sounds like an origin for the song.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 18, 2020 01:33

emotionalbarbecue
As far as I can hear them, the guitar chords/notes (or whatever it is called) from 0:02 and 0:20 (and their subsequent repetitions) hold a strong YGMR taste...

WHAT!!!??? They are NOTHING alike! How you're hearing that is astounding.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 18, 2020 03:32

Stoneage
Okay, to turn this around: Which other song would you have preferred as a top 20 warhorse instead of YGMR? Choose one from their last 39 years of production.

As I stated upthread, Love Is Strong would be my alternative (and more desirable) choice from VL. As regards other candidates for a workhorse from the post-TY albums (i.e. last 39 years), I’d pick Mixed Emotions, Anybody Seen My Baby or Rough Justice.

Date: December 18, 2020 07:21

RisingStone
Stoneage
Okay, to turn this around: Which other song would you have preferred as a top 20 warhorse instead of YGMR? Choose one from their last 39 years of production.

As I stated upthread, Love Is Strong would be my alternative (and more desirable) choice from VL. As regards other candidates for a workhorse from the post-TY albums (i.e. last 39 years), I’d pick Mixed Emotions, Anybody Seen My Baby or Rough Justice.

Of those three I'll go with Rough Justice: blistering rock'n'roll! A perfect LP opener! Although I like Doom And Gloom, it's miles above it, as well as Don't Stop, in terms of being an aggressive rocker. Rough Justice is more Rolling Stones than either of the other two. It's too bad they haven't played it since the BANG tours. It's probably too fast for them now.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 18, 2020 10:28

Stoneage

I think realistically "You Got Me Rocking" is the best option if they want to play a rocker from their last post-Tattoo-You years. Any other rockers of the latter period does not work live so well.
YGMR is simple and not particularly out-standing, but it has a good drive/push and they can keep the groove of it on stage.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 18, 2020 13:46

Hoping the new album(yup) contains an anthem inspired song like YGMR, IORR and IYCRM. Back to YGMR, recent listens and I really love it. It’s an anthem....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2020 00:57

I imagine it could have worked better had it been titled You Got Me Squawking with overdubbed wild bird sound effects.
When performed live, Mick could have danced around and squawked like a rooster . "Hey, hey, you got me squawking now..."...
The singalong "stadium chorus" factor could have been achieved with those in attendance squawking along wildly...

Date: December 19, 2020 01:30

That’s so 70’s...drinking smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 13, 2022 07:28

If the song was any better musically, the lyrics would bug the hell out of me. It's a tour de force of lazy shortcuts. You get a general idea of what the matter is about but only if you have some good will of your own. Starting right out of the gate with the butcher: "My hands were bloody, I'm dying on my feet" Why is that? You just said you was a butcher. Not being able to see blood is at best implied here. You need the surgeon to piece it together. In the second verse there's the "boxer who can't get in the ring" same verse also has the "fighter taken for a sucker punch" No questions there, that's defeat plain and simple, but what could impede the boxer from entering the ring is beyond me. Not having to take a sucker punch should be viewed as a good thing. In the third verse there's the writer having writers block, tell me about it. The hooker losing her looks, not arguing that but also no idea how that could be reversed. The fuzzy general idea of "You got me rocking now" is laid out in the chorus and connected to the rest only in the last line of the first verse "I was a-falling but you put on the brake" which is another problem: If you can put on the brakes you are not falling, you're going downhill. So the message is if it wasn't for "you" he would still be in this perceived malaise. That's a lot of weird images in your head just to arrive there

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 13, 2022 08:37

Dullsville. Completely Stones on autopilot. Ok live. Quite insipid on record

Rod

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 13, 2022 13:20

It’s really generic isn’t it? Probably would have made a half way decent KISS or Bon Jovi song but The Rolling Stones no way

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 13, 2022 14:35

bitusa2012
Dullsville. Completely Stones on autopilot. Ok live. Quite insipid on record

said so well I decided to just repeat it.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 13, 2022 15:58

One of their lamest songs

Date: April 13, 2022 19:23

How would everyone feel if were released this decade on the deluxe version?

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: April 14, 2022 14:30

I love this track. I sodding LOVE IT!. Always have. Most of my friends HATE IT. And much of what they accuse it of is also mentioned in other comments here. Yes of course the words are silly. Yes of course the entire number is derivative, repetitive and devoid of any deep musical, social or cultural significance. Yes, it can be called 'stupid'. But....my unapologetic response to all of the above is a huge 'So What?' The Stones have a huge fan base. Millions of people all round the world - many of whose PARENTS were not born when the band started out - love them to bits. And every one of those fans is an individual with their own favourites, views, likes and dislikes, and musical preferences. Long may that continue.

And what is my own favourite lyric from within the cheerfully crazy words of the track? 'I was a surgeon 'till I start to shake' of course. I'm not a surgeon. I don't shake, but the thought has a strange fascination for me...

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 14, 2022 14:50

Nikkei
If the song was any better musically, the lyrics would bug the hell out of me. It's a tour de force of lazy shortcuts. You get a general idea of what the matter is about but only if you have some good will of your own. Starting right out of the gate with the butcher: "My hands were bloody, I'm dying on my feet" Why is that? You just said you was a butcher. Not being able to see blood is at best implied here. You need the surgeon to piece it together. In the second verse there's the "boxer who can't get in the ring" same verse also has the "fighter taken for a sucker punch" No questions there, that's defeat plain and simple, but what could impede the boxer from entering the ring is beyond me. Not having to take a sucker punch should be viewed as a good thing. In the third verse there's the writer having writers block, tell me about it. The hooker losing her looks, not arguing that but also no idea how that could be reversed. The fuzzy general idea of "You got me rocking now" is laid out in the chorus and connected to the rest only in the last line of the first verse "I was a-falling but you put on the brake" which is another problem: If you can put on the brakes you are not falling, you're going downhill. So the message is if it wasn't for "you" he would still be in this perceived malaise. That's a lot of weird images in your head just to arrive there

"My hands were bloody, I'm dying on my feet" - in other words, exhausted or worn out, not literally dying
"boxer who can't get in the ring" - in other words, too scared to get in, not literally can't get in
Writers' block, hooker losing her looks, surgeon with the shakes, bankrupt tycoon etc so it's all about no longer being able to do something you used to be capable of.

The album track is Stones-by-numbers but it does work well live, I must say. A bit like - dare I say it - Streets of Love.

Conversely, Anyone Seen My Baby and Mixed Emotions are quite hookish but fall flat live.

Happy Easter everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-14 14:51 by tomcat2006.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 14, 2022 15:25

I always thought Tonight’s the Night by Rod Stewart sounded like Sweet Virginia

Track Talk: You Got Me Rocking
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 19, 2023 23:02

The Rolling Stones - You Got Me Rocking (Official Lyric Video)

Video con letras en Español: The Rolling Stones - You Got Me Rocking

Posted by: jobt ()
Date: August 20, 2023 01:05

Like you've never heard it before.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 20, 2023 02:04

jobt

[www.youtube.com]

That’s fantastic. I really had little clue that Chuck was playing all that.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 20, 2023 03:02

I really like the song and riff but not crazy about the lyrics,

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 20, 2023 17:58

I actually love YGMR. It has a great riffand great lyrics. Charlie is fantastic and I love the break in the middle especially live. If you want to compare it to JJF which is what many do of course it's not that good but to those that dismiss the post Wyman Stones you cheat yourselves out of some good if not great stuff.

Date: August 21, 2023 08:39

jobt

[www.youtube.com]

Stop posting your garbage.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 21, 2023 10:28

I heard a rumour that descendants of the guy who, back in ancient history, invented the chromatic scale of notes are going to sue every bugger who's published a song since .

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 21, 2023 10:45

VL is imho a complete failure - even the KR tracks have aged badly - but this is a really good song.

Date: August 21, 2023 22:09

Weird that I never really liked this song UNTIL I heard the 10:58 version from Voodoo Brew with Keith on lead vocals, Mick singing background, slow tempo, the song goes on and on and on... AND I LOVE IT!

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: August 22, 2023 01:51

2002 in Anaheim, best ever as all the reviewers said back then..

[iorr.org]

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 22, 2023 03:24

HopeYouGuessMyName
Weird that I never really liked this song UNTIL I heard the 10:58 version from Voodoo Brew with Keith on lead vocals, Mick singing background, slow tempo, the song goes on and on and on... AND I LOVE IT!

It's a pity that none of the kind-of-jamming parts made it to the released studio version.

I always felt the song comes across much better live than in the studio version released on VL.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home