Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Track Talk: You Got Me Rocking
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 14, 2020 03:24

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
There are many post TY-songs that are way superior. However, are there really any songs post 81 with a better 'stadium chorus'? Add that to the fact that they love to play it, and we might have the reason.

Uhhhh... I love scream grunting AH FLIP THE SWITCHH just how Mick grunts it out live!

Does that count?

Or screaming SAD! SAD! SAD!? That's gotta count! They played that in New Orleans last year. It was solidly good.

Yeah, that's one. Maybe Too Tough as well, but Mick would never attempt that chorus live smiling smiley

Oh hell no, he'd grunt it now if they did that, like he did with Emotional Rescue in 2013 or whenever that was. It's too bad they didn't play ER the way they put the effort into Miss You. What a waste.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 14, 2020 13:11

I skip it when playing VL. It’s a good track for Bon Jovi or Aerosmith but garbage from the stones. Lyrics are dumb. There are much better songs post 1981

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 14, 2020 13:23

Bashlets
I skip it when playing VL. It’s a good track for Bon Jovi or Aerosmith but garbage from the stones. Lyrics are dumb. There are much better songs post 1981

Hi Bashlets, just curious what better rockers since ‘81? They can tend to be juvenile I guess. SMU would head the list ....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 14, 2020 15:19

DandelionPowderman
There are many post TY-songs that are way superior. However, are there really any songs post 81 with a better 'stadium chorus'? Add that to the fact that they love to play it, and we might have the reason.

Indeed. I have never been a big fan of "You Got Me Rocking", but I have surprised how well the song seems to work in a concert (and now I am not thinking of any recording or footage, but actually being there). How the crowd responds to it - usually being the second after a big bang opener like "Start Me Up". It has the vibe of 'yeah, we are going to rock hard and have a party tonight', building up the atmosphere, while the audience is still fresh and excited but awere of the upcoming gems in the set.

I guess the reason the Stones play it rather regularly has something to do with its pragmatic value. Even that the song is not that familiar from classic rock radio stations (etc.), it - as a simple rocker with that "stadium chorus" - is something people ('casual fans') can be easily related to I guess. Jagger at least always seem to think in those terms in choosing songs for a rock and roll concert.

What goes there being superior songs from the era, I willingly agree, but since a Stones concert is so full of magnificient, 'bigger than life' songs, I think it is just refreshing that there are some more mortal ones,'fillers' if you like... Not every damn tune needs to be a 'greatest hit'...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-14 15:23 by Doxa.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 14, 2020 15:59

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Indeed. I have never been a big fan of "You Got Me Rocking", but I have surprised how well the song seems to work in a concert (and now I am not thinking of any recording or footage, but actually being there). How the crowd responds to it - usually being the second after a big bang opener like "Start Me Up". It has the vibe of 'yeah, we are going to rock hard and have a party tonight', building up the atmosphere, while the audience is still fresh and excited but awere of the upcoming gems in the set.

I guess the reason the Stones play it rather regularly has something to do with its pragmatic value.

- Doxa

Yup! thumbs up
Once Jagger noticed it turned the crowd into a slithering snake (say... early 95 with the south-american gigs where concerts are GA) he made sure it was on the setlist often.

Date: December 14, 2020 18:22

Maindefender
Bashlets

Hi Bashlets, just curious what better rockers since ‘81? They can tend to be juvenile I guess. SMU would head the list ....

It's about cars! Very manly!

Date: December 14, 2020 18:25

I heard KISS' Party All Night or whatever it's called on the radio the other day and in the past I've changed stations but this time I decided to listen to it because of how awful it is.

You Got Me Rocking is the Stones being KISS. And apparently a lot of casual Stones fans love it as do the Stones, seeing that it's on two hits comps.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 14, 2020 18:32

I'm not a casual Stones fan and love the song. On the lyrical side, it's nothing special but at least it has some meaning behind it as supposed to Start Me Up which is isn't anything special at all.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 14, 2020 19:21

Hey, hey, you got me rocking now
Hey, hey, you got me rocking now...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 14, 2020 19:26

Stoneage

As Bashlets mentioned above, it would have been a "good track" for Aerosmith, but for the Stones it really is garbage.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 14, 2020 19:30

It's a good song. I actually like more than Start Me Up as a Stones-by-numbers rocker.
The lyrics at least are organized and have a point and a nice flow. They're Dylan-esque compared to SMU, She's So Cold and She was Hot.

Date: December 14, 2020 19:37

Mick in a past life.

Date: December 14, 2020 19:39

One of Mick's other past lives...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 14, 2020 21:36

The beef has aged better than the song....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 14, 2020 22:06

Hairball
Stoneage

As Bashlets mentioned above, it would have been a "good track" for Aerosmith, but for the Stones it really is garbage.

It's got a groove that won't quit.....that's all I care about

Date: December 14, 2020 22:56

Just listened to album and live track -- live, it's definitely better. Like people have said, I think they realized it was a song they could develop, it was fun to perform and people liked it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2020 23:08

Whoooooooo lotta dislike for dis one ...
Maybe everyone is taking it way too serious
Its more a war cry ta rally troops & stadium ...

The Paris Rebel use to dance herself into a frenzy to this one ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: December 14, 2020 23:52

Date: December 15, 2020 06:54

goingmad
my favorite version

you got me rocking, Copacabana

Holy crap it's faster than Flip The Switch!!!

Date: December 16, 2020 13:50

Am I the only one who thinks U2 copied/plagiarized this song?

I am refering to Vertigo.

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: December 16, 2020 14:53

At Anaheim 2002 one week after the Angels won the World Series, this was the first encore. At “down in a slump” the stadium video cut to the winning out. In over 30 shows that was the loudest and longest reaction from a Stones crowd I ever saw. #2 was JJF 1973 Forum Nicaragua show.. then again I’ve not been to Argentina :-).

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 16, 2020 17:16

Rockman
Whoooooooo lotta dislike for dis one ...
Maybe everyone is taking it way too serious
Its more a war cry ta rally troops & stadium ...

The Paris Rebel use to dance herself into a frenzy to this one ....

Couldn't agree more Rockman. I understand a dislike for a song, which is fine. There are some Stones songs I'm sure people love that I don't personally care for as much. The extreme hate for this song on this thread sounds more like whining to me than anything else...

Date: December 16, 2020 17:22

It's their only post '81 warhorse. I think it deserves some attention. Positive or negative one.

Date: December 16, 2020 17:45

goingmad
my favorite version

you got me rocking, Copacabana

That's great.

Date: December 16, 2020 18:00

The audiences in Argentina or Brazil must be the most rewarding audiences anywhere. For any act I guess. Between songs they entertain themselves with chants. Must be a dream for any artist.

Date: December 17, 2020 02:19

emotionalbarbecue
Am I the only one who thinks U2 copied/plagiarized this song?

I am refering to Vertigo.

No similarity at all. It's the difference between a row boat and a bird. So... yes.

Date: December 17, 2020 11:30

As far as I can hear them, the guitar chords/notes (or whatever it is called) from 0:02 and 0:20 (and their subsequent repetitions) hold a strong YGMR taste...

Date: December 17, 2020 13:08

Okay, to turn this around: Which other song would you have preferred as a top 20 warhorse instead of YGMR? Choose one from their last 39 years of production.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 17, 2020 14:08

Stoneage
Okay, to turn this around: Which other song would you have preferred as a top 20 warhorse instead of YGMR? Choose one from their last 39 years of production.

Wouldn't have necessarily preferred .. but love this one live for similar reasons. A get the crowd rocking number.
Out Of Control

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: December 17, 2020 17:03

I've been known to let out a groan when they launch into this one live but was surprised how much I have enjoyed it since picking up Voodoo Lounge on vinyl about a year ago. The vinyl format doesn't have much to do with it other than that I play records way more than CDs these days.
The lyrics will never win me over but the guitar work on the studio version gets me going. Post-pandemic I'd have said I'd prefer they never play it on stage again but now I'd be happy to hear them play anything.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home