Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Track Talk: You Got Me Rocking
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 11, 2020 18:33

Rip This
YGMR = bathroom break.

So early in the show?

Re: Track Talk: You Got Me Rocking (New)
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 11, 2020 18:47

souldoggie

I like the song a lot, I really like the lyrics, but regarding the question "so what's wrong with that" …..maybe it's already been pointed out in this thread(?)

"I was a pitcher down in a slump"

Makes me smile, the lyricist is British after all.

In Major League Baseball, batters get into slumps, pitchers don't.
No announcer or knowledgeable fan would ever say that the "pitcher is in a slump"

Nah.. a minor ding at best.
While not commonly used, a slump is a slump, and pitchers go through them.

Slumpbusters for Pitchers: The Greatest Guide to Getting Back on Track
"As pitchers go through slumps, they look for ways to grind out their performances. Creativity plays in competition. The muscle memory doesn't fade when you are in a dire situation." [blog.sliderdomination.com]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 11, 2020 23:00

souldoggie
HMS
So what´s wrong with that:

I was a butcher cutting up meat
My hands were bloody, I'm dying on my feet
I was a surgeon till I started to shake
I was falling but you put on the break

I was a pitcher down in a slump
I was a fighter taken for a sucker punch
I'm feeling bad, guess I lost my spring
I was the boxer who can't get in the ring

I was a hooker losing her looks
I was a writer, can't write another book
I was all dried up, dying to get wet
I was a tycoon drowning in debt

confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

Very fine lyrics.

I like the song a lot, I really like the lyrics, but regarding the question "so what's wrong with that" …..maybe it's already been pointed out in this thread(?)

No announcer or knowledgeable fan would ever say that the "pitcher is in a slump"

What about a cricket pitcher?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 11, 2020 23:33

Would history be kinder to this song if they didn't keep trying to push it on us and they stopped playing after the VL tour?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-11 23:34 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 12, 2020 00:22

I always think of the Muppets now when I hear You Got Me Rocking - it has that childish/silly nursery rhyme vibe to it.
And while I've always thought it was a lame tune, at least I get a laugh out of it these days.

Hey Hey, you got me rocking now....................
Hey Hey, you got me rocking now....................

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 12, 2020 00:49

They seem to be very comfortable with YGMR live though. Maybe that's the reason it has become a modern day favorite?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 12, 2020 02:16

TravelinMan
souldoggie
HMS

Very fine lyrics.

No such animal. Cricket balls are bowled, by bowlers.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 12, 2020 03:35

One of the few modern Stones songs that is played on stage on a semi-regular basis is unfortunately one of their worst from the era. Flat and uninspired. When it is played at their gig, I feel, “tonight is off”, “a miss”, “I’m lost” etc. I wish their choice from VL was Love Is Strong instead.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2020 04:09

RisingStone
One of the few modern Stones songs that is played on stage on a semi-regular basis is unfortunately one of their worst from the era. Flat and uninspired. When it is played at their gig, I feel, “tonight is off”, “a miss”, “I’m lost” etc. I wish their choice from VL was Love Is Strong instead.

They could not play anything from VOODOO and it would be fine with me. They were fun on the tour but since then nothing is really worthwhile.

Love Is Strong has never worked live. Sparks Will Fly... awful; YGMR was only good on the BRIDGES tour; I Go Wild was OK but it got a bit silly; Out Of Tears - as good as it was live - is too slow, and as much as I like it Keith has better songs than The Worst to do. I don't recall at the moment if they played anything else from the album other than Moon Is Up once.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 12, 2020 04:37

Green Lady
TravelinMan
souldoggie
HMS

Very fine lyrics.

No such animal. Cricket balls are bowled, by bowlers.

Ah, I was confused by the term “pitch”, which is actually an area on the field I guess.

Date: December 12, 2020 06:06

LOL where did the lyrics on page one get copied from?

"I was falling but you put on the break"

It's brake!

The sense of this is like, You've got me buzzin' again, or whatever word you want to use. It's about someone who was becoming a disastrous failure, until they woke up. You know, the butcher that cuts himself, the surgeon who shakes, the pitcher that's in a slump, the tycoon who loses all his money.

- Mick Jagger, 1994

[timeisonourside.com]

The outro, when the guitaring gets going, there's a really well done edit in there, because Charlie dropped his stick, as I recall, on this take, and that's the part that got edited out, with some nice blending of the guitars to make it seamless.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 12, 2020 07:12

Hands down in my top 10 favorite Stones songs. My favorite latter day rocker for sure. Haven't gotten to see them play it live yet but hope so one day. I love the main riff Keith plays on here. Anybody have a favorite live version? I personally love the version from Rio de Janeiro in 2006. Absolutely rocking!! smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 12, 2020 07:22

JordyLicks96
Hands down in my top 10 favorite Stones songs. My favorite latter day rocker for sure. Haven't gotten to see them play it live yet but hope so one day. I love the main riff Keith plays on here. Anybody have a favorite live version? I personally love the version from Rio de Janeiro in 2006. Absolutely rocking!! smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Just the one on NO SECURITY.

Keith lifted the lick from Eddie Cochran's Somethin' Else that he did on his MAIN OFFENDER tour - verbatim!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 12, 2020 09:06

JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

Hurricane Sandy benefit show

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 12, 2020 14:27

Green Lady
Rip This
YGMR = bathroom break.

So early in the show?

not sure what it is about this tune but I hear it and cringe every time.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 12, 2020 14:55

They did it live too often, and Mick just 'talks' the lyrics as if he just wants to get it over with. This always makes me think I don't like it, but then if I go back to the studio version, it is pretty damn good!

Date: December 12, 2020 15:10

There is, perhaps, a contradiction here. The song is a bit cliché. Stones by numbers. But they seem to have a natural feel for it. They are very comfortable with it and deliver it better,
and more seamless, live than some other songs. Always in the first part of the setlist.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: December 12, 2020 15:12

Never got the love for this from fans and the band themselves!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 12, 2020 15:16

LeonidP
They did it live too often, and Mick just 'talks' the lyrics as if he just wants to get it over with. This always makes me think I don't like it, but then if I go back to the studio version, it is pretty damn good!

...especially the early version!!!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 12, 2020 15:59

..good lyrics...in the Stones style !...I like better the slower bootleg version...

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 12, 2020 17:47

I enjoy "You Got Me Rocking", though I would rank it fairly low on the album... there are songs on Voodoo Lounge that I like better. I think it forms a nice little trilogy with "Sparks Will Fly" and "I Go Wild". I would always put those three together when making a mixtape/playlist version of Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 12, 2020 22:12

GasLightStreet
YGMR was only good on the BRIDGES tour;

2002-03 saw pretty good tight and errr... rocking versions (imo). Back in 94 (after a few months of touring) and in 95 IGWild locked in a groove that was tasty (imo again).

Date: December 13, 2020 04:15

dcba
GasLightStreet
YGMR was only good on the BRIDGES tour;

2002-03 saw pretty good tight and errr... rocking versions (imo). Back in 94 (after a few months of touring) and in 95 IGWild locked in a groove that was tasty (imo again).

Listened to the Toronto show. Wow, it's awful! The one from sous-titré en français is kickin' good though. Something about that version on NS that's fine.

IGW from the Olympia STRIPPED is much better than the live one from the Miami show. Ronnie, though...

Date: December 13, 2020 13:37

The thing is, which I mentioned earlier, that YGMR is their premier post 1981 (TY) song. In fact it's their 15th most played song live ever. The only post 81 song on their 20 most played, live, list.
Out of all material post Tattoo You they have chosen this one as their favorite. That's a fact...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 13, 2020 16:16

I prefer I Go Wild a billion times more. The only good version of YGMR is the one found on the NS live album (imho).

Date: December 13, 2020 19:44

Stoneage
There is, perhaps, a contradiction here. The song is a bit cliché. Stones by numbers. But they seem to have a natural feel for it. They are very comfortable with it and deliver it better,
and more seamless, live than some other songs. Always in the first part of the setlist.

Just because a song is SBN doesn't mean they don't play it well!

Date: December 13, 2020 19:50

Stoneage
The thing is, which I mentioned earlier, that YGMR is their premier post 1981 (TY) song. In fact it's their 15th most played song live ever. The only post 81 song on their 20 most played, live, list.
Out of all material post Tattoo You they have chosen this one as their favorite. That's a fact...

That has been talked about in the past with much, well, not consternation but more so a bit of a mystery tempered with disappointment. Weird, innit? That such a song could be played live so much, out of ALL the songs post-TATTO YOU? So many better songs they could've played! It wasn't a big single by any means although it did make it up to #23 in the UK, which does make it a hit. It was a dud in the US. The "remixes" are horrible.

The B-side might as well be Gimme Shelter it's so much better.

Date: December 13, 2020 19:58

There are many post TY-songs that are way superior. However, are there really any songs post 81 with a better 'stadium chorus'? Add that to the fact that they love to play it, and we might have the reason.

Date: December 13, 2020 20:20

DandelionPowderman
There are many post TY-songs that are way superior. However, are there really any songs post 81 with a better 'stadium chorus'? Add that to the fact that they love to play it, and we might have the reason.

Uhhhh... I love scream grunting AH FLIP THE SWITCHH just how Mick grunts it out live!

Does that count?

Or screaming SAD! SAD! SAD!? That's gotta count! They played that in New Orleans last year. It was solidly good.

Date: December 14, 2020 01:04

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Uhhhh... I love scream grunting AH FLIP THE SWITCHH just how Mick grunts it out live!

Does that count?

Or screaming SAD! SAD! SAD!? That's gotta count! They played that in New Orleans last year. It was solidly good.

Yeah, that's one. Maybe Too Tough as well, but Mick would never attempt that chorus live smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home