Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Track Talk: You Got Me Rocking (New)
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 5, 2016 12:09

HMS
So what´s wrong with that:

I was a butcher cutting up meat
My hands were bloody, I'm dying on my feet
I was a surgeon till I started to shake
I was falling but you put on the break

I was a pitcher down in a slump
I was a fighter taken for a sucker punch
I'm feeling bad, guess I lost my spring
I was the boxer who can't get in the ring

I was a hooker losing her looks
I was a writer, can't write another book
I was all dried up, dying to get wet
I was a tycoon drowning in debt

confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

Very fine lyrics.

Maybe you should define what the term "great lyrics" mean to you. For most people, "great lyrics" mean lyrics about something (emotion, situation, idea) that we all can relate to, but with a wording that gives a twist, or some new light, or with a particular clever way of putting it. Shakespeare made great lyrics, but so did Chuck Berry (e.g. "looking like a model on a cover of magazine" - simple, clear, but also fresh and never quite put like that), and Mick Jagger (e.g. "but he can't be a man, cuz he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me" ).
In YGMR, the lyrics - at best - is a tongue-in-cheek parody of saying nothing at all on purpose (a bit like "Only Rock N Roll" ).
If you think YGMR are great lyrics, you, me and the rest of the forum could continue adding more stuff to it without a second's thought, and it would be even "greater lyrics":
I was a plumber, fixing the drains
I was a driver, driving on the exit lane
I was a baker, but my bread has gone stale
I was a carpenter, not hitting the nail ...
etc....
You can go on endlessly, pick any profession, add some noun associated with the profession and make it rhyme.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 5, 2016 17:22

The lyrics are OK.
Not as good as Undercover or Flip the Switch, but better than Start Me Up, She Was Hot, She's so Cold.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 5, 2016 18:06

Witness
HonkeyTonkFlash
Just an OK rocker; not terrible or great....It deserves neither slamming nor praise...

Almost true. However, its Stones by numbers, not only character, but even approach, make the song rather mediocre than medium in a Rolling Stones context. No magic present here either. I accord greater merit to latter day Stones songs more original in approach. And I am among those interested also in latter day Stones music.

VOODOO LOUNGE, although I generally like the LP, as a whole is quite flat. There are some exceptions, Out Of Tears is pretty good, especially Ronnie's slide solo. Brand New Car, while not an exceptional blues, is at least a bit different. Of course Love Is Strong, I Go Wild and The Worst are fantastic. Moon Is Up is sort of in the same area as Paint It Black, Midnight Rambler and Can't You Hear Me Knocking - it's the kind of thing they've never repeated or done before.

Suck On The Jugular is nothing great but it does have some decent harmonica in it. And the backing vocals are entertaining. Baby Break It Down is one of those songs that sounds familiar and is a good idea but never lifts off but is not something I turn off when I hear it.

Keith's Thru And Thru is good. I used to hate it but it's grown on me. The "open 24 hours babe" line always cracks me up. But it sounds like they ran through it just enough to get a decent take of it ie good enough.

Mean Disposition is oddly fantastic but it's also bizarrely pedestrian. It's better by a million miles than Sparks Will Fly and YGMR because it's a straight ahead bluesy rocker yet it's something they can do in their sleep. The key point is: It's better by a million miles than Sparks Will Fly and YGMR.

The only reason I can remotely tolerate New Faces is because of the bootleg featuring Keith's overdubbing session but I stopped listening to it because it just sounds fake. It's a Lady Jane wannabe.

Lyrically VOODOO LOUNGE suffers massively, especially with Sparks Will Fly and the tabloidial YGMR. Although Out Of Tears is probably the best lyrics on the album and Love Is Strong is odd, songs like New Faces, Sparks Will Fly, Sweethearts Together and YGMR are just atrocious.

The reason YGMR has become a late era warhorse is because it fits everything that Mick likes about songs that rumble:

- Instead of going Yeah Yeah Yeah Woo! it goes Hey Hey... uh, well, it does that a lot.

- It goes fast. Well, fast enough. It rumbles. You know how Mick likes those 'up' songs.

That's why for the The Robin Hood Relief Fund 12-12-12 show they played TWO songs: their usual slopthrough of Jumpin' Jack Flash and, let's see, what would make sense for the second song?

Maybe Doom And Gloom seeing that it was the newest single they'd released since 2006's Biggest Mistake? Nahhhh.

Maybe they could've done another big hit (even though in the US JJF only made it to #3)? Brown Sugar? Miss You? Start Me Up? Satisfaction? Honky Tonk Women? Some of their other number 1 or Top Ten singles are a bit slow for a show like that probably. Or maybe a well loved album track, like Midnight Rambler or Shattered or Gimme Shelter.

No. They played one of their blandest singles ever.

Stupefying.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2016 18:35

HonkeyTonkFlash
Just an OK rocker; not terrible or great....It deserves neither slamming nor praise...

hey hey....you got me slamming now!

Date: August 5, 2016 18:43

Yawn yawn - you got me yawning now...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 5, 2016 19:28

However, GasLightStreet, to me "I Go Wild" is another Stones by numbers song, whereas "Sweethearts Together" is the second best song on VOODOO LOUNGE for me, with "Love Is Strong" as the very best. ( I am not so keen on "Brand New Car" either, and the album as a whole I find only medium good.)

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 5, 2016 20:48

VL is one of those 15-tracks-albums that better should have been 10-track-albums (just like B2B, ABB, EOMS should be 10-12-track-albums, Steel Wheels should have been an EP, GHS two singles).

In order to make VL a decent album I kicked off:

New Faces
Out Of Tears
Sweethearts Together
Baby Break It Down
Thru And Thru

Still not sure about I Go Wild...

These, imo, are fillers, should say songs I just dont like.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 5, 2016 22:41

From poster matxil:
'Maybe you should define what the term "great lyrics" mean to you. For most people, "great lyrics" mean lyrics about something (emotion, situation, idea) that we all can relate to, but with a wording that gives a twist, or some new light, or with a pa'

I agree and nice to hear someone wants quality writing. I believe it was me, however, who wrote 'great lyrics' somewhere back, in this instance meaning:
I agree, high quality lyric writing.
I don't write more sometimes because I think I write too much as it is, and communication can take me a long time/ being female is exhausting on me lol.

YGMRN lyrics, 35love, why I called them 'great'
I am aware of this method of 'high then low/ opposite descriptions, rhyme type pattern used before (blank on song names to compare. see why I just say 'great')
Okay, so I think it works here.
'I was a butcher, cutting the meat.
My hands are bloody, I'm dying on my feet'
Hooks me. You could argue it Jagger's delivery, not the sentence meanings themselves,
and I will say, you betcha, Jagger is King.
But these short lines put together, tell me clearly each occupations
down trodden grinded down plateau of life
and meeting 'You' (of the You Got Me Rockin' Now)
has been like a new drug, fresh relationship love affair
got my groove back on.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 6, 2016 13:05

Witness
However, GasLightStreet, to me "I Go Wild" is another Stones by numbers song, whereas "Sweethearts Together" is the second best song on VOODOO LOUNGE for me, with "Love Is Strong" as the very best. ( I am not so keen on "Brand New Car" either, and the album as a whole I find only medium good.)

I agree, for me the best parts of VL are:
Love is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
The Worst
Sweethearts Together
Baby Break It Down
Thru and Thru
Mean Disposition

Adding I Go Wild (standard filler) in order to have 8 songs, they'd have had a reasonably acceptable album.

Date: August 6, 2016 17:57

Witness

Yes, but it's a decent Stones-by-numbers and way better than YGMR. Think of I Go Wild as VOODOO's Dance Little Sister.

Date: August 6, 2016 18:02

VL would've... improved with less songs ie just the good songs, perhaps a different running order as well as some different songs.

Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Jump On Top Of Me
The Worst
Out Of Tears
Baby Break It Down
Moon Is Up
Suck On The Jugular
Thru And Thru
The Storm
Mean Disposition

Date: August 6, 2016 18:10

YGMR is one of their worst Top 200 chart placing singles ever, making it to the fantastic number of 113 in the US. They've since had many that didn't chart, including I Go Wild. Saint Of Me was the last single to crack the Top 100.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 6, 2016 18:34

YGMR is currently doing service on a Sky Sports TV ad here in UK for what it's worth.

Date: August 6, 2016 21:20

Got alone in my car w/ YGMRN, because yes, I have 'Hot Rocks' whatever the greatest hits CD in vehicle
Hey, these lyrics are some top poetic jive.
This song sits in my back teeth it's so close.
I've concluded the missing component:
Jimmy Miller
:-(

Date: August 10, 2016 19:30

More listening, another 2 cents to make it 4.

1). Who put the handclapping on this song? The handclapping is awful.

2). Jagger sings power from the throat here. POWER.
Fantastic the first/ 2nd verse, Keith punctuating oh just right
but it can't sustain me. I deduced the bloody hand clap
(Clap. Clap, Clap! Clap. Clap, Clap!)
is def. part to blame.

But Jagger? Perfection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-10 19:31 by 35love.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 10, 2016 19:59

I just heard it as a trailer for the Premiership's season in the UK.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 10, 2016 20:01

Spud

It's more like an ACDC number.It rocks very hard ...but it don't really swing

The swing was on the bootleg version where it was a slow tempo reggae-ish tune (penned by Keef?).

I prefer the hard-hitting stadium-pleaser song Jagger has turned it into.

Date: August 10, 2016 20:12

The slower version is great indeed!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 11, 2020 10:10

DandelionPowderman
It's way better than its reputation smiling smiley

You were right DP thumbs up

Re: Track Talk: You Got Me Rocking
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 11, 2020 13:06

YGMR = bathroom break.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 11, 2020 13:09

Of course it is very simple, yet I like the groove, the guitars and the lyrics are funny too. It works live very well.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: December 11, 2020 13:35

I must be one of the few, but I love this song, the groove, Charlie drumming, guitars, and works live very well.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 11, 2020 15:37

goingmad
I must be one of the few, but I love this song, the groove, Charlie drumming, guitars, and works live very well.

Me too!!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 11, 2020 16:10

KRiffhard
goingmad

Me too!!
[youtu.be]

smileys with beer
I said Hey, Hey..

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 11, 2020 16:47

One of their best studio rockers ever, locked down groove throughout. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: December 11, 2020 17:27

I have never seen a lot of love for YGMR on this board, particularly as it been included in the set list for a long time. My take on it is that it must be fun to play live, which is fine by me. I have no problem with this song at all and I think Voodoo Lounge is a great late era album.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 11, 2020 18:01

You ungrateful lot! grinning smiley
Have you forgotten the live juggernaut this one was during 1995 gigs? YGMR was the 1st big blow on the audience's head after a very mellow double show starter : Not Fade Away then TD.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: December 11, 2020 18:05

HMS

Very fine lyrics.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: December 11, 2020 18:16

HMS

Very fine lyrics.

I like the song a lot, I really like the lyrics, but regarding the question "so what's wrong with that" …..maybe it's already been pointed out in this thread(?)

"I was a pitcher down in a slump"

Makes me smile, the lyricist is British after all.

In Major League Baseball, batters get into slumps, pitchers don't.
No announcer or knowledgeable fan would ever say that the "pitcher is in a slump"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 11, 2020 18:23

Their major post 81 warhorse. The song counts in on number 15 on setlists.fm. The only post 81 song to reach top 20.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home