Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones - "Havana Moon" in cinemas September 23
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 13, 2016 02:03

Have now watched it all the way through less bonus tracks and must retract my grumpy post of a couple of days ago. The atmosphere is tremendous and they are absolutely on fire. All four of the core band are 'on' and the version of Satisfaction must be the best of the modern era. Lovely to get the proper drum intro on Honky Tonk Women too. Yep, may be essentially the same Stones show they've been touring since 2013 but this video is a gem.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 13, 2016 14:25

Best show ever.
Awesome.
Band is on fire.
Amazing.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 13, 2016 17:20

powerage78
Best show ever.
Awesome.
Band is on fire.
Amazing.

No, but when life is challenging for whatever reason personal to you,
but RS music has been a 'friend' for decades you could turn to without a word
uttered or dependence on another,
and fresh inspiration
a genuine smile
uplift heart
Yeah.
I'd call that amazing.

HAVANNA MOON
Posted by: CUBBIE ()
Date: November 13, 2016 03:59

Got the Havanna Moon today and now watching the DVD during the nite.What an absolutely stunning performance.Absolutely top notch amongst the innumerable ones I´ve seen since the first one ever at Marquee in July 1962!!!

Re: HAVANNA MOON
Posted by: CUBBIE ()
Date: November 13, 2016 04:32

and Charlie presented as C CHE Wattswinking smiley))

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: November 13, 2016 07:19

'Double Time Sh*t' - that as hilarious!

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: November 13, 2016 13:52

Watched the DVD last night too
The video is o.k. but the sound of that DVD is thin. Too thin.
Well, at least to my ears.
All in all not a bad performance.

Date: November 13, 2016 14:00

Re: HAVANA MOON
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 13, 2016 14:14

It's 'Havana', not 'Havanna' .

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: November 13, 2016 18:27

Just got my delivery. also there is a one night movie showing of Ole Ole which I am going to in SF on 12/12! smiling smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 14, 2016 21:16

My blue ray is sticking, back to the store tomorrow.

Overdubs on HAVANNA MOON
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: November 15, 2016 00:16

Hey,

I was listening to the DVD Havanna Moon and am wondering: Are there overdubs? Eg on JJF and IORR I can hear background singers (Sasha and Bernard) - so more than just Chuck. But their mics are empty until OOC. Do they sing from behind the stage? Or are there overdubs in the mix?

Besides that I really like the great mix - even it is not as sharp as Hyde Park.

Cheers
Dirk

Re: Overdubs on HAVANNA MOON
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 15, 2016 00:23

Havana Moon possibly has the most shameful overdub/tweak in the history of rock : Keith's guitar "solo" on OOC !

Original : [youtu.be]

"Tweaked" : [www.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: November 15, 2016 00:30

gotdablouse
Havana Moon possibly has the most shameful overdub/tweak in the history of rock : Keith's guitar "solo" on OOC !

Have you ever seen Biggest Bang in Austin? Especially Under My Thumb. I don't have problems when they fix failures like the intro of SMU at Hyde Park or the OOC solo from Havana. On Biggest Bang half of the vocals are done in the studio and guitars are from the guitar technicians.

By the way the backup singers are off stage for the first songs since many years at nearly every concert.

Date: November 15, 2016 00:30

I can't hear overdubs, but there are certainly edits.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 15, 2016 00:38

hockenheim95
gotdablouse

Have you ever seen Biggest Bang in Austin? Especially Under My Thumb. I don't have problems when they fix failures like the intro of SMU at Hyde Park or the OOC solo from Havana. On Biggest Bang half of the vocals are done in the studio and guitars are from the guitar technicians.

By the way the backup singers are off stage for the first songs since many years at nearly every concert.

Actually I have, although not entirely in sequence, I'll pay more attention the next time I come across it while flipping through my HD winking smiley- That's the one where they play Waylon's "Bob Wills is still the King" right ? Cool song !

Yeah, fixing SMU at HP was "ok", just one note, but OOC, wow, they should have just cut the song or edited out the solo completely, it just doesn't mean anything anymore when you do stuff like that, like erasing people in pictures, oh right...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 15, 2016 01:13

gotdablouse

True that. At least the could have picked a different camera angle that doesnt show Keith...

Date: November 15, 2016 01:13

hockenheim95

Stimmt schon. When Sasha is off stage on the first songs - does she still sing? I can hear a female voice.

Date: November 15, 2016 01:23

PLUS: I prefer the mix on the DVD. The mix on the CD sounds worse - in my opinion.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: November 15, 2016 01:24

It's edited, not overdubbed. They both sound pretty rough, but the Tweaked version edits out a couple of the worst notes

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 15, 2016 04:06

gotdablouse

Ouch! Poor Keith is just not with it. It sounds like Waddy Wachtel was flown in to do some overdubs. Keith can't even remotely approach the finesse in the "tweaked" clip.

Keith should be embarrassed, he simply can't play live anymore and be "on" and play with skill, heart, and intensity. The mixing engineers must be rolling their eyes when they listen to his isolated guitar track.

There was that thread about the Rolling Stones playing their (second) last concert in Las Vegas. Seriously, it's time to call it quits. From GYYYO to this.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 15, 2016 05:41

schwonek
hockenheim95

Stimmt schon. When Sasha is off stage on the first songs - does she still sing? I can hear a female voice.

yes like he said its been that way for years. listen to the "hey you's" during the 50th anniversy of Get off of my Cloud. Bernard and Lisa are in back of the main stage (NOT UNDERNIETH) singing backup.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 15, 2016 06:09

MileHigh
gotdablouse

Ouch! Poor Keith is just not with it. It sounds like Waddy Wachtel was flown in to do some overdubs. Keith can't even remotely approach the finesse in the "tweaked" clip.

Keith should be embarrassed, he simply can't play live anymore and be "on" and play with skill, heart, and intensity. The mixing engineers must be rolling their eyes when they listen to his isolated guitar track.

There was that thread about the Rolling Stones playing their (second) last concert in Las Vegas. Seriously, it's time to call it quits. From GYYYO to this.

Good god, that solo is OUT TO LUNCH. I had no idea it was THAT bad...no wonder they overdubbed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-15 06:09 by keefriff99.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 15, 2016 06:15

Wow. Painful.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 15, 2016 08:19

keefriff99
MileHigh
gotdablouse

Good god, that solo is OUT TO LUNCH. I had no idea it was THAT bad...no wonder they overdubbed it.

You can't compare the sound recorded from a hand held phone and a professionally recorded soundtrack... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 15, 2016 08:49

one more chance to release a REAL live album has been missed…

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 15, 2016 09:00

slewan

That's what bootlegs are for...

Do you really want to listen to major @#$%&-ups like these in professional recording quality? I'm all for warts 'n all live albums, but not for warts 'n all like these!

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: November 15, 2016 10:11

Just because Sasha and Bernard are off stage, it doesn't mean they don't add a bit of vocal support. This has been the case at loads of gigs. When Blondie was on the tour he also played a little guitar, usually acoustic, on some songs from behind the amps.

There have always been screw-ups on stage (except maybe for Charlie...). Mick repeats verses, forgets words; look at Ronnie on the 2003 Olympia DVD - the solo was a disaster zone at the gig; even Mick T started some solos out of key.

At Las Vegas there was more vocal support, some unseen, than usual for obvious reasons. Chuck was singing more and at a higher level. I actually thought Keith played really strongly and was trying to play a lot more than normal to support Mick.

The odd mess-up; sloppy playing; that loose feeling - thats an essential part of the Stones sound. If you want perfection every time then I would recommend someone like Yes.

Date: November 15, 2016 10:29

slewan

You have SAL and Sticky Fingers Live to enjoy already smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 15, 2016 10:57

slewan

As is it was unreleasable. Jagger probably asked Pierre to redo the entire solo.
It was that or edit out the mini-trainwreck from the song.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home