Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 29
Re: Overdubs on HAVANNA MOON
Date: November 15, 2016 21:56

slewan
I just don't understand - they are doing enough shows each tour (even nowadays) to be able to put the best performances together for a live album (without editing, overdubbing etc)

They did that, with most of the archive releases, SAL and SF Live.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 16, 2016 08:03

DandelionPowderman
Rik
"Again, you can't judge a live performance from a bad recording, moreover uploaded on youtube where the sound is thiner than a subpar mp3..."

Yes, but most people should hear that what he plays in that YT vid is out of tune. That's not the crappy sound of the clip, it's his playing.

There are some other overdubs, but anyway, I think the performance is very strong and above Hyde Park imho.
Really enjoyable to watch. Much easier for the eyes then Hyde park. The band is clearly having a lot of fun and great interactions with the great, great audience!

Would you be so kind to point us to them?

There are no overdubs in that OOC, merely deleting and editing, due to a misplaced capo which indeed contributed to some weird noises.

Just my humble opinion if you're asking, the last 45 or so seconds of YCAGWYW.
The choir is closing it out and down, sudden double time, then some strange cutting going on, song ends :-/. It's not done well, that end cutting, and not necessary, but,
I haven't watched my Blu Ray yet, so many years in audio only mode for me,
I soak them in CD vehicle driving mode, and iTunes outside thru into my ears,
and then get to the visual concert. So don't know what the end of YCAGWYW
on stage looks like. No complaints from me tho- I'm groovin' in the full moon with Havana.

Date: November 16, 2016 08:49

35love
DandelionPowderman
Rik
"Again, you can't judge a live performance from a bad recording, moreover uploaded on youtube where the sound is thiner than a subpar mp3..."

Yes, but most people should hear that what he plays in that YT vid is out of tune. That's not the crappy sound of the clip, it's his playing.

There are some other overdubs, but anyway, I think the performance is very strong and above Hyde Park imho.
Really enjoyable to watch. Much easier for the eyes then Hyde park. The band is clearly having a lot of fun and great interactions with the great, great audience!

Would you be so kind to point us to them?

There are no overdubs in that OOC, merely deleting and editing, due to a misplaced capo which indeed contributed to some weird noises.

Just my humble opinion if you're asking, the last 45 or so seconds of YCAGWYW.
The choir is closing it out and down, sudden double time, then some strange cutting going on, song ends :-/. It's not done well, that end cutting, and not necessary, but,
I haven't watched my Blu Ray yet, so many years in audio only mode for me,
I soak them in CD vehicle driving mode, and iTunes outside thru into my ears,
and then get to the visual concert. So don't know what the end of YCAGWYW
on stage looks like. No complaints from me tho- I'm groovin' in the full moon with Havana.

Will check this out. Thanks smiling smiley

Re: The Rolling Stones - "Havana Moon" in cinemas September 23
Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: November 16, 2016 12:20

On a different subject, it is 5 days that Havana Moon has been officially released and yet no mention of it in the News, still Wyman's 80th gala on top.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 16, 2016 19:48

I amend my YCAGWYW 'last 45 seconds' comment. 'Double time shite' is right,
I don't get why end the song that way, prefer choir on a high note slower,
but, something does seem clippy throughout (CD) or maybe y'all got me tripping.
My all time favorite live version of YCAGWYW
is 1982 Leeds Roundhay Park.
(haven't played my disc on that one either yet to visually see! audio gal)
Are the guitars different between the 2 versions? Uh... YEAH.
But I've got the essence, the root, the original substance
but in different flavor/spice.
The RS live band these last 4 years, which I was once and for all able to
experience in 2015 up close,
is a helluva group of players (Fonda Sticky release w/ gold nuggets too)
Do you want the same dinner every night?
If I were a writer I could now riff with Steak selections comparison
but back to the salt mines.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 16, 2016 20:43

from what i have seen (just got it today from amazon.de)..i really like it. looks like the stones are having a ball. They are not as good and great as 30 years ago, but still great.

The danger has gone, like i said before. But they are still great and fun to watch.
jeroen

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 16, 2016 21:27

DiamondDog7
Keith is a hero, but this is getting really painful to see. No doubt he is a great legend in music and an important figure in rock and roll music. But this...no...more...

Again, I have nothing against mistakes or whatever, but this is getting worse every live performance. sad smiley

it's his ego that is out of control and it has been for a long,long time.
somewhere in his mind he has got to know that his fingers are damaged to the point he can no longer play a lead beyond an amateur level guitar player or maybe even a beginner.
yet there he goes,stepping out to the front of the stage playing what is alot of the time godawful, disjointed,out of key and just plain horrible lead guitar but he's smiling away having his rockstar moment.

when keith was a musician first he would have never done that,he even deferred to mick taylor on certain leads that he could've played on his own but chose to stand back and hold the rhythm down,i don't know what the hell happened to that guy.

Posted by: davidestrada ()
Date: November 16, 2016 22:15

I have only the cd's of Havana Moon, I don't like the thin sound, Can't hear drums to well. I did a matrix with the audience and it came out very good! My point here is I am reading about over dubs and edits. All songs lined up perfect. Yes a lot of cuts between songs to shorten it up but I hear nowhere it has changed from the audience version in solos??

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 16, 2016 22:18

I started today watching the blu-ray.
I might be confused, but, I remember watching the film in the cinema, and seeing an interview with all 4 boys together seated in what seamed to be a hotel room.

That interview Is missing in the blu-ray; anyone noticed?

Best regards.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 16, 2016 22:53

I couldn't see the movie in the cinema. Finally got the blu-ray in the mail yesterday, and I love it. What a band and what an audience. Amazed how good Mick sings Angie.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 16, 2016 23:05

Rolling Hansie
I couldn't see the movie in the cinema. Finally got the blu-ray in the mail yesterday, and I love it. What a band and what an audience. Amazed how good Mick sings Angie.

same with me,couldn't watch it at cinema.
the more I like the deluxe set...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 16, 2016 23:18

lem motlow
DiamondDog7
Keith is a hero, but this is getting really painful to see. No doubt he is a great legend in music and an important figure in rock and roll music. But this...no...more...

Again, I have nothing against mistakes or whatever, but this is getting worse every live performance. sad smiley

somewhere in his mind he has got to know that his fingers are damaged to the point he can no longer play a lead beyond an amateur level guitar player or maybe even a beginner.
yet there he goes,stepping out to the front of the stage playing what is alot of the time godawful, disjointed,out of key and just plain horrible lead guitar but he's smiling away having his rockstar moment.

when keith was a musician first he would have never done that,he even deferred to mick taylor on certain leads that he could've played on his own but chose to stand back and hold the rhythm down,i don't know what the hell happened to that guy.
THAT'S what really gets me.

The way he postures and grins and mugs while he plays such awful solos...he's posing like he's Jimi Hendrix at Monterey, but he can barely string two sonically pleasing notes together.

It's such a disjointed image between how he stands there so confidently, and what actually comes out of the amps.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 16, 2016 23:25

marquess

That interview Is missing in the blu-ray; anyone noticed?

The interview was the exclusive content in Cinema only:

[www.rollingstones.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-16 23:30 by Irix.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 17, 2016 10:01

And WHO in his entourage (band members, journalists, friends ...) dare to tell him that ? NOBODY.

keefriff99
lem motlow
DiamondDog7

THAT'S what really gets me.

The way he postures and grins and mugs while he plays such awful solos...he's posing like he's Jimi Hendrix at Monterey, but he can barely string two sonically pleasing notes together.

It's such a disjointed image between how he stands there so confidently, and what actually comes out of the amps.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-17 10:10 by powerage78.

Number of Havana Moon songs ...
Posted by: alfadriver85 ()
Date: November 16, 2016 22:45

... appearing on other live albums? I'm sure somebody can easily provide song titles and how many times are repeated on flashpoint, no security, totally stripped, shine a light, ya ya's, live licks, still life etc. Hopefully it's easily accessed from an existing database. I'm a lazy slob on the dole that would like to know.

First to provide gets a Matt Clifford autographed copy of Havana Moon. Cheers.

Re: Number of Havana Moon songs ...
Date: November 16, 2016 22:48

There is already a HM thread. Come on!

Date: November 16, 2016 22:53

Does it answer my specific question?

Date: November 16, 2016 23:00

alfadriver85
... appearing on other live albums? I'm sure somebody can easily provide song titles and how many times are repeated on flashpoint, no security, totally stripped, shine a light, ya ya's, live licks, still life etc. Hopefully it's easily accessed from an existing database. I'm a lazy slob on the dole that would like to know.

First to provide gets a Matt Clifford autographed copy of Havana Moon. Cheers.

I'm lazy,too...furthermore I got allready an unautographed copy of Havana Moon.
And one by Matt Clifford signed is not that tempting...

Date: November 16, 2016 23:25

alfadriver85
Does it answer my specific question?

Someone probably will. One thread per question would make this a silly forum..

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 16, 2016 23:45

alfadriver85

... appearing on other live albums?

Have a look at the Discography on: [TimeIsOnOurSide.com] - there you can easily see the umpteen times of the live versions of the same songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-16 23:50 by Irix.

Havana Moon Snoozefest
Date: November 16, 2016 22:34

Tried to listen but couldn't make it thru JJF (opener). Seriously. Tried other tunes but those were just as boring. I've seen the Stones 25+ times since '78 and know what they can do when playing like they mean it. Not hating just saying. Does anybody agree or did I miss something we haven't heard before?

Re: Havana Moon Snoozefest
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 16, 2016 22:47

Give it a few days and try again. I was exactly the same: played JJF the day I got it, thought it was the same old same old, thin sound, just going through the motions. IORR seemed even worse and I cut it, went to MR on the grounds that they rarely mess that one up and called it a night. At the weekend I watched it all the way through and really enjoyed it. I think they play really well actually, plus the atmosphere is great. It helps hugely to connect the TV to speakers to get good sound and crank it up.

Date: November 16, 2016 22:47

There is already a thread for this...

Date: November 16, 2016 23:03

I just thought to open another Havana thread..but then...

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 17, 2016 03:44

I like the version of Angie.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 17, 2016 04:04

alfadriver85
Tried to listen but couldn't make it thru JJF (opener). Seriously. Tried other tunes but those were just as boring. I've seen the Stones 25+ times since '78 and know what they can do when playing like they mean it. Not hating just saying. Does anybody agree or did I miss something we haven't heard before?

"Not hating just saying"... just saying what, exactly? Did you not mean what you said then?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 17, 2016 08:35

Stones live albums are just getting better and better. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-18 12:57 by kowalski.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: November 18, 2016 09:39

I watched it last night - and loved it, especially the audience shots: it's great to see all those smiles, even tears, the joy!

And there is a lot of joy onstage, too. Never seen Charlie Watts smile that much! And Jagger's energy never fails to amaze me. YGTS is fine, as is MR. Worth for that alone. Even SFD is okay, liked Charlies drumming at the start, even if it's a bit shaky, rythmically.
I really liked S. Allen's take on GS. It's okay for me that they cut it down to 90 minutes, perfect lenght for me.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 18, 2016 23:35

The sound of the CD´s is awful, feels like there are blankets wrapped around my speakers. Horrible mixing job. It´s all mud all over. It´s a shame that in 2016 you have to go back to Love You Live to hear a good-sounding live-album.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: November 18, 2016 23:39

HMS
The sound of the CD´s is awful, feels like there are blankets wrapped around my speakers. Horrible mixing job. It´s all mud all over. It´s a shame that in 2016 you have to go back to Love You Live to hear a good-sounding live-album.

The Blu Ray mix is way better

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home