Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 29
Re: Overdubs on HAVANNA MOON
Date: November 15, 2016 11:20

Everyone who has played a solo with a capo on has experienced the trouble Keith got into while playing his OOC-solo. No big deal. A little bump on the capo and even the best player will sound like a beginner for a second. On a gigantic stage, with sound traveling slow, it will take a little longer before one notice that the capo is out of place.

So they edited out the worst parts. Is it really a big deal?

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 15, 2016 11:34

Keith is a hero, but this is getting really painful to see. No doubt he is a great legend in music and an important figure in rock and roll music. But this...no...more...

Again, I have nothing against mistakes or whatever, but this is getting worse every live performance. sad smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 15, 2016 12:50

Yes sadly he sounds disconnected.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 15, 2016 13:53

Well, Havana Moon sounds really good. Midnight Rambler in particular is one of the best versions for a very long time. Either they overdubbed all of Keith's guitar, or he just screwed up OOC. I guess it is the latter one. No big deal, it is our Keith...

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: November 15, 2016 14:02

It's one issue on one song. Some massive moaners on here. I was in Vegas for the gig last month and Keith was great.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 15, 2016 14:19

Yes, Havana Moon does sound really good and more than one person who was there has said that Keith was great in Vegas but we'd better not say 'on fire' as that's not allowed.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 15, 2016 14:41

DiamondDog7
Keith is a hero, but this is getting really painful to see. No doubt he is a great legend in music and an important figure in rock and roll music. But this...no...more...

Again, I have nothing against mistakes or whatever, but this is getting worse every live performance. sad smiley

Redhotcarpet
Yes sadly he sounds disconnected.

Again, you can't judge a live performance from a bad recording, moreover uploaded on youtube where the sound is thiner than a subpar mp3...

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: November 15, 2016 14:50

"Again, you can't judge a live performance from a bad recording, moreover uploaded on youtube where the sound is thiner than a subpar mp3..."

Yes, but most people should hear that what he plays in that YT vid is out of tune. That's not the crappy sound of the clip, it's his playing.

There are some other overdubs, but anyway, I think the performance is very strong and above Hyde Park imho.
Really enjoyable to watch. Much easier for the eyes then Hyde park. The band is clearly having a lot of fun and great interactions with the great, great audience!

Date: November 15, 2016 14:55

Rik
"Again, you can't judge a live performance from a bad recording, moreover uploaded on youtube where the sound is thiner than a subpar mp3..."

Yes, but most people should hear that what he plays in that YT vid is out of tune. That's not the crappy sound of the clip, it's his playing.

There are some other overdubs, but anyway, I think the performance is very strong and above Hyde Park imho.
Really enjoyable to watch. Much easier for the eyes then Hyde park. The band is clearly having a lot of fun and great interactions with the great, great audience!

Would you be so kind to point us to them?

There are no overdubs in that OOC, merely deleting and editing, due to a misplaced capo which indeed contributed to some weird noises.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-15 14:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 15, 2016 15:03

Will try to find them again when I recieve the box (íf ever..), but while watching in the cinema I noticed I heard a guitar playing that didn't correspond with what either Keith or Ron was doing smiling smiley,

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 15, 2016 15:14

kowalski
keefriff99
MileHigh
gotdablouse
Havana Moon possibly has the most shameful overdub/tweak in the history of rock : Keith's guitar "solo" on OOC !

Original : [youtu.be]

"Tweaked" : [www.youtube.com]

Ouch! Poor Keith is just not with it. It sounds like Waddy Wachtel was flown in to do some overdubs. Keith can't even remotely approach the finesse in the "tweaked" clip.

Keith should be embarrassed, he simply can't play live anymore and be "on" and play with skill, heart, and intensity. The mixing engineers must be rolling their eyes when they listen to his isolated guitar track.

There was that thread about the Rolling Stones playing their (second) last concert in Las Vegas. Seriously, it's time to call it quits. From GYYYO to this.

Good god, that solo is OUT TO LUNCH. I had no idea it was THAT bad...no wonder they overdubbed it.

You can't compare the sound recorded from a hand held phone and a professionally recorded soundtrack... eye rolling smiley
Yes, because as we ALL know, iPhones and Samsungs are capable of intentionally inserting-out of-tune notes and off-time note structures to make good solos sound bad.

How nefarious those cell phone makers are!

You apologists will go to any length to cover up bad performances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-15 15:14 by keefriff99.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 15, 2016 15:20

Nice Pierre de Beauport work again... drinking smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: November 15, 2016 15:33

Rik
Will try to find them again when I recieve the box (íf ever..), but while watching in the cinema I noticed I heard a guitar playing that didn't correspond with what either Keith or Ron was doing smiling smiley,

And you are certain that all the footage you see is from the exact moments in the songs in a concert film? I don't think I've ever seen such a Stones concert movie before. They often choose cooler pics over real-time pics in places.

– In SSS Keith had different bandanas and stage clothes on in one song
– In L&G there are clips from different shows merged in

etc.

Date: November 15, 2016 15:34

powerage78
Nice Pierre de Beauport work again... drinking smiley

I didn't know he also deleted and edited stuff?

Date: November 15, 2016 15:39

DandelionPowderman
Rik

And you are certain that all the footage you see is from the exact moments in the songs in a concert film? I don't think I've ever seen such a Stones concert movie before. They often choose cooler pics over real-time pics in places.

etc.

I know, smiling smiley,

Date: November 15, 2016 15:45

keefriff99
kowalski
keefriff99
MileHigh
gotdablouse
Havana Moon possibly has the most shameful overdub/tweak in the history of rock : Keith's guitar "solo" on OOC !

Ouch! Poor Keith is just not with it. It sounds like Waddy Wachtel was flown in to do some overdubs. Keith can't even remotely approach the finesse in the "tweaked" clip.

Keith should be embarrassed, he simply can't play live anymore and be "on" and play with skill, heart, and intensity. The mixing engineers must be rolling their eyes when they listen to his isolated guitar track.

There was that thread about the Rolling Stones playing their (second) last concert in Las Vegas. Seriously, it's time to call it quits. From GYYYO to this.

Good god, that solo is OUT TO LUNCH. I had no idea it was THAT bad...no wonder they overdubbed it.

You can't compare the sound recorded from a hand held phone and a professionally recorded soundtrack... eye rolling smiley
Yes, because as we ALL know, iPhones and Samsungs are capable of intentionally inserting-out of-tune notes and off-time note structures to make good solos sound bad.

What I mean is the video was recorded far from the stage on a tiny microphone, with a lot of people shooting and dancing all around. Not exactly the best way to capture a guitar solo. It's quite possible the phone didn't capture the whole sound of the guitar. Plus you can't hardly tell if a guitar is out of tune on a youtube video as it's encoded in very low quality mp3 which is known to provide very distorted sound...

Date: November 15, 2016 15:50

Come on...

Date: November 15, 2016 15:52

Rik
DandelionPowderman
Rik

etc.

I know, smiling smiley,

I know you know smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 15, 2016 16:02

kowalski
keefriff99
kowalski
keefriff99
MileHigh
gotdablouse

What I mean is the video was recorded far from the stage on a tiny microphone, with a lot of people shooting and dancing all around. Not exactly the best way to capture a guitar solo. It's quite possible the phone didn't capture the whole sound of the guitar. Plus you can't hardly tell if a guitar is out of tune on a youtube video as it's encoded in very low quality mp3 which is known to provide very distorted sound...
I understand that, but for god's sake, the technology is advanced enough to capture the essential sound of the concert, and what's recorded there is NOT good.

I've seen many people over the years try to blame audience recordings for capturing poor performances (not just the Stones, but many other artists), but far more often than not, what you see and hear is exactly what was performed.

Date: November 15, 2016 16:14

<with a lot of people shooting and dancing all around>

Sounds like a rocking show! grinning smiley

Date: November 15, 2016 16:45

keefriff99
kowalski

I understand that, but for god's sake, the technology is advanced enough to capture the essential sound of the concert, and what's recorded there is NOT good.

I've seen many people over the years try to blame audience recordings for capturing poor performances (not just the Stones, but many other artists), but far more often than not, what you see and hear is exactly what was performed.

I'm sorry but you're not getting my point. smiling smiley I'm not saying Keith played an excellent guitar solo on Out of Control that night. All I'm saying is it's quite difficult to know for sure what he actually played because of 1) the poor conditions of the recording, and 2) because it's a youtube video.
For these two very reasons, I don't see the point in comparing these video with the official release which was professionally recorded, mixed and mastered.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: November 15, 2016 17:13

That solo on OOC is awful. There's really no way to defend it.

Date: November 15, 2016 17:44

Gaetzi
That solo on OOC is awful. There's really no way to defend it.

Nobody says it isn't awful.

Date: November 15, 2016 19:56

Wonder what perception of his playing Keith can have today ?
Does he admit his playing has weakened ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-15 20:00 by powerage78.

Date: November 15, 2016 20:05

powerage78

[iorr.org]

Date: November 15, 2016 20:35

smoking smiley grinning smiley
Solo playing.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

[iorr.org]

Date: November 15, 2016 20:39

powerage78
smoking smiley grinning smiley
Solo playing.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

[iorr.org]

I don't see any others play winking smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 15, 2016 20:40

I just don't understand - they are doing enough shows each tour (even nowadays) to be able to put the best performances together for a live album (without editing, overdubbing etc)

Date: November 15, 2016 20:41

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

You are purely the best RS lawyer ^^
Playing such a solo like on OOC makes certainly him think...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-15 20:43 by powerage78.

Havana Moon Deluxe in The Netherlands price went up since last week...
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 15, 2016 15:19

I just noted that the price of the DVD, Blue Ray, 2 CD and Book on bol.com went up from 54,99 to 84,99...and still it is not available...
What happened?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home