Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones - "Havana Moon" in cinemas September 23
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 18, 2016 22:45

jazzbass

NO US showings?

On July 28, 2016 the News-agency [www.reuters.com] reported: "A spokesman said the film will not be shown in the United States.".

But now something seems to change -- in a Facebook comment appeared the question: "Please tell me there's plans on adding U.S. Cinemas soon." and The Rolling Stones replied: "Stay tuned for US Havana Moon news.".

See [iorr.org] and [www.facebook.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-20 10:45 by Irix.

Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: September 19, 2016 01:29

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

January date for the concert film on Crave TV here in canada

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: September 19, 2016 19:02

Irix
jazzbass

NO US showings?

Apparently the News-agency [www.reuters.com] was right: "A spokesman said the film will not be shown in the United States.".

My bet, it doesn't pass the State Dept. sniff test as educational, therefore will not promote Cuba in any way. Much change still needed.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 20, 2016 01:57

The Rolling Stones Facebook page wrote 'Stay tuned for US Havana Moon News'. !!

Date: September 20, 2016 10:25

DEmerson

Yep ... it was a reply by The Rolling Stones in the comments to a question from David Zawacki: "Please tell me there's plans on adding U.S. Cinemas soon".

It belongs to the 19-Sept-2016 entry: "Don't miss out on your only chance to see Havana Moon in cinemas, this Friday. Features an exclusive introduction from Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie!".

[www.facebook.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-20 10:50 by Irix.

Date: September 20, 2016 11:49

Let's hope the news won't be: «No screenings in the US». Fingers crossed for all my US friends.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: September 20, 2016 13:27

I believe the phrase "Check back for release date" is new since the last time I checked this page:
[www.fandango.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-20 13:28 by tonyc.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 20, 2016 18:53

"En vocales y guitarra mi compadre Keith Richards!" grinning smiley

[twitter.com]

Date: September 20, 2016 19:40

Reviewed! The Rolling Stones – Havana Moon

Michael Bonner September 20, 2016

A robust reminder of the Stones’ core strengths: showmanship, craft, strong tunes

Over the weekend, Bill Murray worked a couple of shifts behind the bar at his son’s Brooklyn restaurant. You can watch footage online of Murray, wearing a striped shirt over a t-shirt, pouring shots of whiskey or tequila. As he served customers – and, on occasion, himself – the actor sang along to Stones’ hits, “Start Me Up” and “Miss You”. It strikes me that should they need one, Murray would make an ideal host for the Stones’ next gig – at the Desert Trip festival, where they will share a bill with Dylan, McCartney, Neil Young, The Who and Roger Waters.

In some ways, the Stones’ presence on the Desert Trip bill feels like part of the band’s ongoing commitments to reshape their touring practices. Rather than quantity, quality has become the watchword at the heart of the Stones’ live experience. The band no longer head out on exhaustive 147-date treks like the Bigger Bang tour, instead they have favoured smaller runs: the 50 & Counting tour (30 dates), its counterpart 14 On Fire (29), the Zip Code Tour (17) and América Latina Olé Tour (14) earlier this year. This has allowed them to mix the thrillingly low key (Sticky Fingers, in full, at Los Angeles’ 1,300-capacity Fonda Theatre) with the high profile event (2 nights at Hyde Park, 44 years after their 1969 performance.

Havana Moon distinctly falls into the latter camp: a document of their March 25 performance in Cuba’s capitol, the first major international rock act to play the island (the Manic Street Preachers notwithstanding). The Stones have always understood the purpose of grand gestures – free concerts a speciality, playing to 1.5 million people on Copacabana beach in 2006 among them – and the show in Cuba was another historic first for the band. A text crawl at the start of Havana Moon gives us some insight into the behind-the-scenes admin: 58 trucks, 500 tonnes of kit, 21 days to build the set.

The Stones show on the island represents a gradual ideological sea change on behalf by both the Stones and the Cuban authorities. Once, the Stones music was banned on Cuba; during an interview segment at the start of Havana Moon, Mick Jagger is quick to recognize the country’s “weird romantic aura. It was the country that stood up to the United States. There is still this attraction of people like Fidel and Che Guevara.” Both Cuba and the Stones – considered dangerous in the Sixties, currently enjoying greater diplomatic access – now play host to world leaders and elder statesmen. “They times are changing,” says Jagger.

As a concert film, Havana Moon demonstrates the assiduous way the Stones continue to manage their legacy. In the absence of a new studio material since 2005’s A Bigger Bang, the Stones have relied on a mix of canny reissues (Exile On Main Street, Some Girls, Sticky Fingers) and an ever-expanding catalogue of live releases. They’ve released 11 concert DVDs since 2007’s The Biggest Bang, stretching from Hyde Park in 1969 to the Marquee in 1971, Hampton Coliseum in 1981 and Tokyo Dome in 1990 up to Martin Scorsese’s peerless film of their 2006 show at the Beacon Theatre in New York.

What, then, Havana Moon offers us is a robust underscoring of the Stones’ key strengths: showmanship, craft, strong tunes. Director Paul Dugdale brings a sense of the Stones’ live experience – the crane shots hovering above a vast crowd, the close ups of banners fluttering in the night air, the fleeting constellations of iPhone flashes, those two crazy guys down the front with John Pasche’s lips and tongue logos painted on their cheeks. These kind of images have become stock elements of concert footage, although it would be hard to dispute their particular potency here; Havana Moon isn’t just a celebration of the Stones doing what the Stones do best, it is freighted with a deeper sense of liberation and of possibility. “The Stones can do things that governments can’t,” acknowledges Keith Richards. “It’s just because of our peculiar situation. You can affect people in a different way without it being official.”
We’re in a setlist that with very few exceptions doesn’t stray much beyond 1980 – which is part of the contract that the Stones have with their audience. Although the songs are instantly familiar, the band consistently manages to find more resonances, more inflections and more variations of texture, rhythm and mood. Bridges To Babylon’s “Out Of Control” enjoys some fiery back-and-forth between Jagger on the harmonica and Richards’ guitar solo, while the interplay between Chuck Leavell’s mellow keys, Richards’ acoustic guitar and Ron Wood’s delicate lead lines on “Angie” is well captured by Dugdale’s camera crew. Other intimate highlights include Wood’s beautiful, sympathetic slide playing on “You Got The Silver” and the few moments at the beginning of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”, with Jagger and Richards bringing the song into focus together on acoustic guitars.

Meanwhile, “Paint It, Black” is thrilling and nihilistic, driven by Charlie Watts’ pummelling beat and a powerful, hypnotic guitar attack from Richards and Wood. “Midnight Rambler” might lack the extra level of guitar brilliance Mick Taylor brought to the 50 & Counting shows, but it’s still a mighty thing to behold, with Richards and Wood locked in a complex groove of solos and riffs. For all the theatricality of a Stones’ show these days – the costume changes, video screens, fireworks – the inherent dramatic tensions of songs like “Midnight Rambler”, “Gimme Shelter” and “Sympathy For The Devil” are never quite lost, the band’s darker, lysergic impulses just a shot away.

In a show of supremely well-judged pace, it is to the Stones credit that any songs from the final third of the set – “Gimme Shelter”, “Start Me Up”, “Sympathy…”, “Brown Sugar”, “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” – would be an acceptably impressive closing number. Of course, “…Satisfaction” has long been their final song and tonight it carries additional heft. It would be foolish to suggest that the Stones playing Cuba is somehow going to accelerate the democratic process – but what, after all, could be more appropriate in this specific location than a song about alienation and impatience and frustration? Now, as then, the Stones’ capture the spirit of the times.

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 21, 2016 10:25

StonedRambler
Stonesfan2146
Was Keith's solo on Out Of Control corrected a little bit? smiling smiley
Yes, some wrong notes are corrected. If you listen to this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeZmH6h_fww) on youtube, you can hear that Bob (Clearmountain) still kept the original solo but corrected the pitch and timing of a few wrong notes. In the Havana Moon video you can see that some notes are out of sync to what he's playing. Also some additional distortion was added to smooth it out a bit. But I'm thankful if they just correct the notes instead of doing overdubs.

Thanks for that link, came here after seeing the official OOC video and finding Keith's solo very "strange", both the sound and the out of sync parts. When you see the actual video it's easy to understand why! So yes, no overdubs, but that's because the current technology can mimic overdubs, just as bad as autotune really. Non plussed about the whole thing honestly.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 21, 2016 20:35

I really dislike Keith playing noodling, aimless solos where he used to just play a relentless riff. It usually stalls the song out.

Compared to this, the version of OOC on the B2B tour where he just riffed under Mick's harp was killer.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 21, 2016 22:10

jazzbass
Irix
jazzbass

NO US showings?

Apparently the News-agency [www.reuters.com] was right: "A spokesman said the film will not be shown in the United States.".

My bet, it doesn't pass the State Dept. sniff test as educational, therefore will not promote Cuba in any way. Much change still needed.

Huh? You think the gov't will not allow the film to be shown because of its content? Obviously this is not the case since the gov't has no such power (whatever you meant by the State dept sniff test). It is not being released for now in the US for marketing reasons, obviously. It will be at some point. Nobody could prevent any release if they wanted to release it, people can release whatever they want.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: September 21, 2016 22:24

Great movie, i saw on monday this week .....

Date: September 21, 2016 22:38

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 21, 2016 23:15

Major bummer I can't see this. At least people living in border areas can see it. If I lived in the Detroit area i'd definitely be going across the border to see it in Windsor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-21 23:15 by mnewman505.

Date: September 21, 2016 23:23

mnewman505
Major bummer I can't see this. At least people living in border areas can see it. If I lived in the Detroit area i'd definitely be going across the border to see it in Windsor.

It looks like a screening of this movie in US is on their plans:

Irix
DEmerson

Yep ... it was a reply by The Rolling Stones in the comments to a question from David Zawacki: "Please tell me there's plans on adding U.S. Cinemas soon".

It belongs to the 19-Sept-2016 entry: "Don't miss out on your only chance to see Havana Moon in cinemas, this Friday. Features an exclusive introduction from Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie!".

[www.facebook.com] .

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: September 22, 2016 03:44

I wonder if there is a delay in the U.S. because of the four tour dates in October? Maybe they want that out of the way before they bring it here.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 22, 2016 03:57

tonyc
I wonder if there is a delay in the U.S. because of the four tour dates in October? Maybe they want that out of the way before they bring it here.

There's gotta be some good reason. I can't fathom why they wouldn't show it in the US.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2016 05:59

HonkeyTonkFlash
tonyc

There's gotta be some good reason. I can't fathom why they wouldn't show it in the US.
I hope it's not some BS political reason.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: September 22, 2016 12:16

keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
tonyc

Well it is supposedly going to be released on dvd anyway so if you wait you can watch it when the dvd comes out.

Date: September 22, 2016 12:20

Cristiano Radtke
Paint it Black:

What's with the extra distortion on Keith's guitar (just like on OOC)?

Date: September 22, 2016 12:21

boogaloojef
keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
tonyc

Well it is supposedly going to be released on dvd anyway so if you wait you can watch it when the dvd comes out.

I'm sure the DVD will come out but I'd like to see it on the big screen at first...Oh well, you can't always get what you want...

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: September 22, 2016 12:30

HonkeyTonkFlash
boogaloojef
keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
tonyc

I'm sure the DVD will come out but I'd like to see it on the big screen at first...Oh well, you can't always get what you want...

Preorder for Havana Moon up at Bull Moose in the U.S.

[www.bullmoose.com]

I am not really looking forward to this as it is almost the same set list as Sweet Summer Sun.

I would rather have a another From The Vault release instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-22 12:31 by boogaloojef.

Date: September 22, 2016 12:35

boogaloojef
HonkeyTonkFlash
boogaloojef
keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
tonyc

[www.bullmoose.com]

I am not really looking forward to this as it is almost the same set list as Sweet Summer Sun.

Yeah, what's actually different on it from SSS? I think they did Out Of Control, Angie and All Down The Line? Still, I've heard they were in great form that night so I'd still like to see it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 22, 2016 14:55

SSS doesn't have that horrible "distorsion autotuned" Keith solo on OOC, I almost wish they'd overdubbed it instead of getting an engineer to mess with it, I guess they (or even Pierre) can't even be arsed enough to do that these days...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 22, 2016 14:58

HonkeyTonkFlash
boogaloojef
HonkeyTonkFlash
boogaloojef
keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
tonyc

[www.bullmoose.com]

Yeah, what's actually different on it from SSS? I think they did Out Of Control, Angie and All Down The Line? Still, I've heard they were in great form that night so I'd still like to see it.

They did ADTL in Hyde Park as well, I believe.

Date: September 22, 2016 16:03

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
boogaloojef
HonkeyTonkFlash
boogaloojef
keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
tonyc

[www.bullmoose.com]

I've heard that they did but it's sadly missing from HPL and SSS. One of my favorite songs!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 22, 2016 16:31

Good observation about the setlist being the same as Sweet Summer Sun. I suppose in the end it's more about seeing them perform at 2 different special events. Maybe it would have been more contrasting if the films were made much farther apart in years? Anyhow, I'm excited to see it tomorrow.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 22, 2016 16:37

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
boogaloojef
HonkeyTonkFlash
boogaloojef
keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
tonyc

[www.bullmoose.com]

I've heard that they did but it's sadly missing from HPL and SSS. One of my favorite songs!

It is on Hyde Park Live Bonus which was released in Japan only.

Date: September 22, 2016 17:10

hockenheim95

It is on Hyde Park Live Bonus which was released in Japan only.

ADTL is on the japanese 3-Track Bonus-CD but not on the DVD/BD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-22 17:15 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home