Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones - "Havana Moon" in cinemas September 23
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 29, 2016 19:34

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
This should be just an hour documentary, with little of the actual concert, and shown on Netflix. Hyde was lame enough, it's much too early if they're trying to sell this as a DVD release. I just hope it doesn't get it in the way of the Vault Releases.

The posters say "in cinemas only"

That's just for promotion. A DVD release will in all certainty follow. If you remember Crossfire Hurricane, an HBO production, and still available on demand, played there first (was there theatrical?) and then released on DVD/BluRay.

Re: Havana Moon
Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: July 29, 2016 21:51

Yes!!!

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: July 29, 2016 22:18

with sssoul
HMS
What´s so special about playing Cuba?

... If you can't imagine what's so special about a Rolling Stones show being put on
for people who had been waiting all their lives to experience something like that,
I am sorry for you.

I was at the 1990 Prague show, where Vaclav Havel worked it so that a ticket to the show
functioned as a one-day visa to (then) Czechoslovakia. Even that amount of freedom of movement
was unheard-of in the just-post Communist countries at that time, and the 100 thousand people who attended
were ready to find the show special just for that alone. And then the Rolling Stones lifted us up
with a full-fledged say-hallelujah fireworks-and-all Rolling Stones show and we knew we were free at last.
When Mick Jagger asked this crowd of first-timers from lands whose default mood had always been disappointment
and who had never had free access to a wide range of anything - music included -
when Mick asked us "What's your favourite flavour" and against all odds we knew the answer and roared back "cherry red!"
I nearly wept for the glorious joy of how rock & roll had broken down barriers. I'm nearly weeping now just remembering it.

And that's what's so special about shows like the one in Cuba

I love the Rolling Stones

Perfect. The vibe came through as I listened to the audience recordings (One of them featured an excitable young man who was thrilled to bits when Keith said he'd move to Cuba, the other one, a woman sounded like she was close to tears as she chanted back 'Thank you' to Mick as he gave his appreciation to the guys and gals there.

You're a lucky son of a gun, Sssoul.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: July 29, 2016 23:29

I can't wait to see this!

Posted by: Night Manager ()
Date: July 30, 2016 00:26

for the Rolling Stones in the here-and-now, Havanna was an exceptionally good show. Obviously concentrated on avoiding mistakes, they were tight, but still loose and rocking. Up to the task, as it were. And the sound system was amazing, even at the back of the field where I was.
-When the sun went down and that big orange moon came up in the dusty sky, there were thousands of cuban people dancing on the tops of the old houses around the area. A sight to behold, one I`ll never forget.
-As it said in the paper the next day, "Cuba una Stone"...
Not to be missed, if you still have a heart for the band as it is now.
And the cuban people are so great...

Re: The Rolling Stones - Havana Moon" in cinemas September 23
Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 30, 2016 00:47

with sssoul
CloudCat
I don't see any Elizabeth I in clown makeup
which right of the stage are you referring to?

The one to the right? Manofwealthandtaste (who should know) says it's James II, and I see that now.
The blue masses are bubbling up in a happiness revolution. The bowling ball keeps on turning.
It's not a good poster.

oh, THAT right.

i thought that was one Mr. McJagger, the lead singer of The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 30, 2016 01:12

Night Manager
for the Rolling Stones in the here-and-now, Havanna was an exceptionally good show. Obviously concentrated on avoiding mistakes, they were tight, but still loose and rocking. Up to the task, as it were. And the sound system was amazing, even at the back of the field where I was.
-When the sun went down and that big orange moon came up in the dusty sky, there were thousands of cuban people dancing on the tops of the old houses around the area. A sight to behold, one I`ll never forget.
-As it said in the paper the next day, "Cuba una Stone"...
Not to be missed, if you still have a heart for the band as it is now.
And the cuban people are so great...

Once visited Cuba, says it all for me.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 30, 2016 14:00

Sorry if this has been addressed but will it be released in the US,?

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: July 30, 2016 20:09

The film will not be shown in the United States???

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 30, 2016 20:49

Was this link already posted?

[www.stonesincuba.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 30, 2016 21:42

coffeepotman

Where are people getting that idea?
"Cinemas around the world" sounds to me like it includes the US.

Posted by: leahoneill ()
Date: July 31, 2016 01:31

Stones in Cuba was beautiful and very well received!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 31, 2016 02:55

with sssoul
coffeepotman

Where are people getting that idea?
"Cinemas around the world" sounds to me like it includes the US.[/quot

I'm not sure where I saw it but there was a list of where it would be shown and the US was not included. Hope I'm wrong but then again if no Havana Moon on 9/23 translates to the US fall shows we're hoping for, I'll take it.

Havanna Moon in Germany/Netherlands
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: July 31, 2016 07:57

Exciting news!

I always enjoy to see the Stones in a cinema! Hopefully a number of IORRians can meet in a big theater somewhere in Germany or the Netherlands to watch this together.

Cheers!

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 31, 2016 17:16

sandandglue
with sssoul

And that's what's so special about shows like the one in Cuba

I love the Rolling Stones

You're a lucky son of a gun, Sssoul.

i think that with sssoul is a sonette of a gun, but yes, it sounds like a wonderful experience she had!

Re: The Rolling Stones - "Havana Moon" in cinemas September 2
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 1, 2016 01:11

HMS
I agree that Cuba was a historical event and on and on and that it was special for reasons others already have explained.

But the music - and that is what matters to me - wasnt special at all. So this release, if there should be indeed a release on DVD/BR or whatever, is useless from a musical point of view. Watching the DVD all you´ll see is the Stones looking just the same as always playing just the same songs as always. This usual setlist is very well documented on the Hyde-Park-releases.

The Fonda gig on the other hand is of great musical importance: It was the first time the Stones played the entire SF-album live and they were really cooking. This release would be worth the money, Cuba isnt, imo.

If they would release a DVD-Box containing SF-Live (entire show), a tour-rarities DVD 2012-15 and the Cuba-gig it would be fine with me and I would rush to buy it. But a single-Cuba-DVD, no thank you Sirs, no need for a Hyde-Park-twin.

Point taken, and I mostly agree.

Plus: I don't buy that 'poor opressed people from totalitarian Cuba finally had a chance to rock out in the free world'-take on this. I mean, they've never been deprived of song & dance, really. As a European, I have been to Cuba; a couple of times even. And I have met travelling Cubans almost everywhere in the world, the past 20 years. As I experienced it: they're simply not interested in Rock & Roll nor blues music. Sure they were interested in the spectacle the Rolling Stones' visit had to offer; and no doubt they digged it, too (they have an open mind, and they can apreciate a good groove). But to put it like they finally were able to see the musical daylight... Come on!

That's why this shouldn't be compared to the Stones playing in former Eastern Europe, after the fall of the Iron Curtain. That was a completely different ball game!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 1, 2016 02:10

In Germany probably in theaters Sep 23rd or 27th.

In Deutschland und Österreich wird der Konzertfilm an nur einem einzigen Tag gezeigt und je nach Kino wird das entweder am Freitag, dem 23. September oder am Dienstag, dem 27. September 2016 sein.
[www.filmstarts.de]

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: August 1, 2016 04:31

No news here in Tokyo.
But one night only screening sounds bit hard to get tix.
Only a few cinema will do it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 1, 2016 18:53

a bigger nut
No news here in Tokyo.
But one night only screening sounds bit hard to get tix.
Only a few cinema will do it.

Cinemas are so dodgy too, most of them being multiplexes. The sound system is usually inadequate for music, or 'Godzilla versus Iron Man' is playing in the adjacent theater and keeps booming in.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 1, 2016 19:22

Ale67

another useless video concert full of warhorses annoyingly played over and over...
What a drag

No the songs will be sped up à la LSTNT... A 100-minute show will feel like 70 minutes have elapsed! grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2016 01:07

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 2, 2016 06:34

in my experiences, a lot of things that are supposed to be "one day only" or "limited run" become "extended by popular demand" if they are successful. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the same.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 2, 2016 11:30

coffeepotman

It seems that 'Havana Moon' will indeed not be shown in the United States.

From the News-agency [www.reuters.com] :

"Thousands of cinemas across Europe, Australia, Russia, Japan and Latin America will screen the film for one night only - September 23, 2016. A spokesman said the film will not be shown in the United States."

( Embargo the other way around .... just kidding. winking smiley )

Serious: The Stones play 3 Live-shows on 7th, 14th and 19th October 2016 at the US-Westcoast -- the advertising for the 'Havana Moon' Theatrical release (23th September 2016) could probably affect the advertising for the Live-shows and confuse the audience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-02 16:15 by Irix.

Date: August 2, 2016 11:58

Irix
Embargo

Yeah, I thought of the embargo, after wondering why people were in doubt.
I gather it's now okay for Americans to import Cuban-made items for personal use
but not to show them in cinemas all over the United States

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 2, 2016 13:08

I thought the embargo was over. Or maybe it's close? Would be cool if this film helped push the situation. Then we could say "rock and roll changed the world" again. winking smiley

Date: August 2, 2016 14:21

frankotero
I thought the embargo was over.

As I understand it, it's thawing out, but not completely over.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 2, 2016 15:01

Canada, which wouldn't be subject to any embargo, also wasn't amongst the listed countries.. Must be another reason North America isn't getting a screening.
Perhaps to not confuse/interfere with tour business/promotion? Or..??

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 2, 2016 15:14

my guess is if it isnt shown in USA it will be the second dvd on the OLE OLE dvd

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 2, 2016 16:15

MisterDDDD

Perhaps to not confuse/interfere with tour business/promotion?

Yep, the Stones play 3 Live-shows on 7th, 14th and 19th October 2016 at the US-Westcoast -- the advertising for the 'Havana Moon' Theatrical release (23th September 2016) could affect the advertising for the Live-shows and confuse the audience.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 2, 2016 19:41

MisterDDDD
Canada, which wouldn't be subject to any embargo, also wasn't amongst the listed countries.. Must be another reason North America isn't getting a screening.
Perhaps to not confuse/interfere with tour business/promotion? Or..??

idk but Toronto is getting that TIFF documentary about the show, maybe didn't want to take away from that? Shame though, I would have liked to at least try to see it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1420
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home