Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Jeff Beck touring again/2022
Date: June 5, 2022 17:39

Taylor1

When has Beck ever played with another guitarist without hogging the spotlight.

Maybe you missed a bit of music history. The Jeff Beck Group and the Mahavishnu Orchestra have toured together back in the 7-tees and jammed a lot together .
Unfortunately the only more recent footage I could find doesn't have the best sound quality. John McLaughlin and Jeff Beck jamming "Django".

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 5, 2022 19:31

RisingStone
gotdablouse
Anyway looking forward to finding out who will be with him for that tour.

Jeff Beck. Guitar
Rhonda Smith. Bass
Vanessa Freebairn-Smith. Cello
Anika Nilles. Drums
Robert Adam Stevenson. Keyboards

Support: Sharon Corr

Thanks, so a guitar centered show with probably a spotlight for Rhonda like in 2016. Hopefully Depp won't show up again, he should stick to that horrible and senseless "Hollywood Vampires" band !

Glad to hear that Beck is still on top of his game...amazing since playing the guitar like Beck requires some crazy skills and physical abilities that most (all ?) guitar players tend to lose over time. So in that sense, yes, he's like Mick, blazing trails...may it last for a long time still !

As for Beck not being a "team player", yeah I guess he's always been the odd man out and in the early 2000s it looked like he'd become a sort of cult act...but the Les Paul tribute showed he could be a "team player" and play some very good rythm too, thing is he never "needs" to. And yes, he hasn't written memorable riffs like Keith (or even Mick) but hey, who has ?

[youtu.be]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-05 19:38 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 5, 2022 20:05

24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS
I think Jeff Beck is amazing. The only English guitar slinger from the 60s with everything intact. He's appearing with Rod Stewart, who I think is done, at the Hollywood Bowl in September. I might attend, more for Beck than Stewart.

Everything intact. What do you mean? David Gilmour has been consistent with the guitar.

Okay. But I don't consider Gilmour in the English Guitar Slinger God Pantheon of the 60s, ala Page, Clapton, Beck, and whoever I've forgotten. Don't get me wrong, Gilmour is extraordinary, but I don't find him as exciting as the others.

That clears it up. If that’s what you meant, I agree. But, you have to admit Gilmour is still at the top of his game, playing-wise.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 6, 2022 06:04

24FPS
I think Jeff Beck is amazing. The only English guitar slinger from the 60s with everything intact. He's appearing with Rod Stewart, who I think is done, at the Hollywood Bowl in September. I might attend, more for Beck than Stewart.

In other words — unlike many other contemporary guitarists from his times — Clapton, Page, Blackmore, Keith, Mick T. et al — Beck has not shown major decline in his playing skills. That’s amazing about him.

He will be seventy-eight on the coming 24 June.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-06 06:12 by RisingStone.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 6, 2022 08:45

I personally don’t think Rod Stewart is done,I think his voice has matured like a fine old wine and has actually got better over the years.Stage wise he don’t work the stage anymore,but he was never Mick Jagger.

Agility and quality of performance might be an interesting correlation,certainly when considering Mick and Jeff Beck.

We all know how fit Mick is and how hard he trains.But Jeff Beck I noted was also very agile,at one point at the Manchester gig he swiftly knelt down to adjust something and sprang back up like a spring chicken.I remember thinking this man is 77 and is obviously incredibly fit.Maybe it’s down to bending down and fixing those Hot rod cars.

Date: June 6, 2022 10:31

OT?

Date: June 6, 2022 12:48

stargroover

We all know how fit Mick is and how hard he trains.But Jeff Beck I noted was also very agile,at one point at the Manchester gig he swiftly knelt down to adjust something and sprang back up like a spring chicken.I remember thinking this man is 77 and is obviously incredibly fit.Maybe it’s down to bending down and fixing those Hot rod cars.

He looked a bit fragile indeed since the last time I saw him - Holland 2015. Grab those concerts while old legends still can deliver. Jeff's playing was still very inspired at the Royal Albert Hall.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 8, 2022 17:12

Jeff Beck will be play here in Tampere this month. Tickets has been on sale for a while, but seemingly not selling that good. But yesterday it was announced that Johnny Depp will be there too. And oh la la. The place was quickly sold out.

For your ticket selling and publicity I guess it is good to have a notorious Hollywood film star as a friend...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-08 17:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 8, 2022 17:53

This doesn't sound like Jeff Beck, can't find any info on it, anybody know more?

[open.spotify.com]

Date: June 9, 2022 00:16

Doxa
Jeff Beck will be play here in Tampere this month. Tickets has been on sale for a while, but seemingly not selling that good. But yesterday it was announced that Johnny Depp will be there too. And oh la la. The place was quickly sold out.

For your ticket selling and publicity I guess it is good to have a notorious Hollywood film star as a friend...

- Doxa

Not bad for a country that makes it to a lousy no 22 at the plastic fantastic European 2022 song festival .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-09 01:38 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2022 00:21

...hope he comes on
deck out in Pirate gear .... The Becky and Deppy show

ROCKMAN

Date: June 9, 2022 00:33

kovach
This doesn't sound like Jeff Beck, can't find any info on it, anybody know more?

[open.spotify.com]

Sounds like a well known old sixties song to me. Could easily be a session player like Jimmy Page on guitar.

Date: June 9, 2022 17:44

So we're getting a Beck and Depp album : [www.rollingstone.com]

Mostly covers with two Depp originals, including the first "single" that's listenable I suppose...

Of note..."Ahead of the album’s release, Beck will kick off another month-long tour of Europe starting June 19, reportedly with Depp in tow." - so for all dates it seems ? Everything's going to sell out quickly, including the Paris date on the 25th.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 9, 2022 17:48

gotdablouse
So we're getting a Beck and Depp album : [www.rollingstone.com]

Mostly covers with two Depp originals, including the first "single" that's listenable I suppose...

Of note..."Ahead of the album’s release, Beck will kick off another month-long tour of Europe starting June 19, reportedly with Depp in tow." - so for all dates it seems ? Everything's going to sell out quickly, including the Paris date on the 25th.

Anyone think this is gimicky?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 9, 2022 18:26

Maybe Johnny Depp wants to keep a high profile these days whether it's in a friend's band or we may even see him in TV adverts for anything and everything.

He's got expensive tastes, like spending 50,000 quid for a few friends having an Indian meal up in Gateshead I think it was.

You gotta keep in the public eye when he wants to get some more million dollar film roles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-09 18:31 by crawdaddy.

Date: June 9, 2022 18:27

crawdaddy
Maybe Johnny Depp wants to keep a high profile these days whether it's in a friend's band or we may even see him in TV adverts for anything and everything.

You gotta keep in the public eye when he wants to get some more million dollar film roles.

Understandable, but why does Beck promote it?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 9, 2022 19:06

NashvilleBlues
crawdaddy

Because they are friends...
It's a win-win for all involved.

Date: June 13, 2022 14:34

Kurt
NashvilleBlues
crawdaddy

Because they are friends...
It's a win-win for all involved.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 13, 2022 14:57

The show with Johnny Depp is actually very good.If you have the opportunity to see them take it.
I am looking forward to their album next month.Some great stuff on there.
JD's song "Hedy Lamarr" is well worth checking out.
The guy is in a very fortunate position he has the choice of forthcoming quality roles or playing rock.
I personally hope he tells Disney to "F@@K OFF " when they come crawling back

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 13, 2022 15:55

RisingStone
gotdablouse

Jeff Beck. Guitar
Rhonda Smith. Bass
Anika Nilles. Drums

Was lucky enough to see one of the Albert Hall shows. His band are phenomenal - Rhonda Smith and Anika Nilles are a powerhouse of a rhythm section - and a great touch having a cellist added to the mix,

And as for Jeff Beck - he is truly a master, still without equal imho. It's a shame he doesn't speak more in between songs as he's got a wickedly dry sense of humour (I guess you don't need to talk much when you can make a guitar do it all for you). It was also interesting that given the expected demographic of his audience there were a remarkable number of young(ish) females who all stood up and screamed like mad when Cap'n Jack came on. I guess it was fun to see him for a couple of tunes but he was on for too long imo. It just meant less Beck for yer buck (and it was a lot of bucks!)

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 13, 2022 17:35

I saw them in Ronnie Scotts when they played (jammed?) after Ronnie Wood's tribute to Chuck Berry. That was rather awkward. I assume this tour is different.

Date: June 13, 2022 17:47

The French promoter has officially announced that Depp will be guesting in Paris, so it's going to be a sellout now, win-win I suppose as was written above.

But yeah, it's expensive and the 100€ or so I paid in 2016 to be sitting front row dead center at Pleyel where I could inspect his effects rack would get me something in the rafters at Olympia...and I'll be reeling in the afterglow of the Longchamp show, wanna let that sink in as it could be the...like Marseilles was 4 years ago ;-)

--------------

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 13, 2022 21:51

stargroover
The show with Johnny Depp is actually very good.If you have the opportunity to see them take it.
I am looking forward to their album next month.Some great stuff on there.
JD's song "Hedy Lamarr" is well worth checking out.
The guy is in a very fortunate position he has the choice of forthcoming quality roles or playing rock.
I personally hope he tells Disney to "F@@K OFF " when they come crawling back

This Is A Song For Hedy Lamarr indeed deserves a mention. It was the first song of the Depp set of the show, and he sang and played the acoustic guitar on it. One of the two original songs on “18”, the forthcoming Beck/Depp collaborative album that mostly consists of classic rock cover tunes, Hedy Lamarr is a Hollywood legend of the 1940’s, the glamorous actress-cum-creative inventor. Unique subject matter to pick and there is something Dylanesque about it.

My appreciation of Depp the musician stops there, though.
Johnny Depp is a great actor, and I like him playing a role on the screen no matter what his private life and behavior. However, I’m afraid he is not an outstanding singer or guitar player. To find musical prowess beyond average in him is like saying Ronnie is an exceptionally talented painter (which he isn’t).

This Is A Song For Miss Hedy Lamarr [Official Music Video]

[www.youtube.com]

Hedy Lamarr [Wiki article]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Bombshell [Lamarr documentary]

DVD: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Blu-ray: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-14 00:45 by RisingStone.

Date: June 13, 2022 22:29

Roll73
RisingStone
gotdablouse

Jeff Beck. Guitar
Rhonda Smith. Bass
Anika Nilles. Drums

Was lucky enough to see one of the Albert Hall shows. His band are phenomenal - Rhonda Smith and Anika Nilles are a powerhouse of a rhythm section - and a great touch having a cellist added to the mix,

And as for Jeff Beck - he is truly a master, still without equal imho. It's a shame he doesn't speak more in between songs as he's got a wickedly dry sense of humour (I guess you don't need to talk much when you can make a guitar do it all for you). It was also interesting that given the expected demographic of his audience there were a remarkable number of young(ish) females who all stood up and screamed like mad when Cap'n Jack came on. I guess it was fun to see him for a couple of tunes but he was on for too long imo. It just meant less Beck for yer buck (and it was a lot of bucks!)

I can only second that, saw him at the RAH. I started this thread just to point out that all these legends are getting old , catch them while you can. I don't know either why this also turns into a Depp conversation. To me Jeff Beck can do without him - at least on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-13 22:42 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 13, 2022 23:52

The way I look at it is that it's Jeffs' band, and he obviously can have anyone he wants in it.
Johnny can play guitar and sing, and there the two things he can do as well as making a movie or two when the film jobs come rolling in, which they definitely will.
Just in the last two nights on UK TV, I've seen three adverts with JD I've never seen before, and probably a few years old, but he's now on TV, which is the main thing for him.
If the Jeff Beck fans don't like it, no ones forcing them to buy live gig tickets or buy the albums with JD playing on them.

Can't see he's gonna lose out financially, and on the contrary, he's gonna get loadsa fans who wanna see Johnny, and maybe never even heard of Jeff Beck or his music.
As long as the money is coming in, there are plenty of old rockers happy with that. smoking smiley

Date: July 28, 2022 14:45

One guitar is enough.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 28, 2022 17:19

TheflyingDutchman
One guitar is enough.

He's the master. I like his cello player. I made her laugh (I was in the front row) during the tour with Brian Wilson.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 28, 2022 17:50

Johnny Depp is willing to pay Beck more than Jagger was in1988 to tour Asia, although Satriani was a pretty good substitute

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 28, 2022 18:09

Taylor1
Johnny Depp is willing to pay Beck more than Jagger was in1988 to tour Asia, although Satriani was a pretty good substitute

the stuff without johnny on the new record is better. i do like the version of "venus in furs" though. jeff's version of "caroline no" is stunning. i've got a soft spot for that song as it was my late mom's name.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 28, 2022 18:40

saw Jeff Beck in Paris on Monday. He was fantastic.
Johnny Depp was like a bad actor playing a bad guitar player. If Beck thinks he needs a second guitarist and/or a singer he should hire a professional on. If the wants to spend time with Johnny Beck he should go to a pub with him.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1239
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home