Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: OT - Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck concert
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 30, 2019 00:40

Rocky Dijon
roller99
Anyone who complains that Beck disappointed didn't read the announcement when tickets sold out in January. It was never billed as anything more than a Rod Stewart concert, with a "special appearance" by Jeff Beck.

Beck's press release in June billed it as "a landmark reunion set on what will be their most in-depth concert in over 35 years." That is actually quite different from the earlier announcement. Tickets still change hands after sellouts since the secondhand market is based on just that. I understand people feeling cheated they only had 5 songs after that build-up, particularly if the deciding factor was their reunion.

I bought my tickets in January and knew that it was only a set. The promoter was very clear on that. And it was the most in-depth concert together in 35 years, but not the most recent. So if the tickets sold out in a couple of hours in January, how can people complain in September?

Re: OT: Jeff Beck
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 30, 2019 01:11

Whatever the case, sounds like a lame overpriced night at the Hollywood Bowl based on most reports I've read.
Jeff Beck fans disappointed with his limited time with Rod, and Rod Stewart fans bored with the anticlimactic set featuring Jeff.
Sure some probably enjoyed it, but they seem in the minority.

So now that Jeff has finsihed his lame mini-tour with Depp, culminating with a lame appearance with Rod Stewart,
hopefully things will get back to normal and Jeff will tour small venues without any unnecessary distractions.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 30, 2019 01:27

roller99
I bought my tickets in January and knew that it was only a set. The promoter was very clear on that. And it was the most in-depth concert together in 35 years, but not the most recent. So if the tickets sold out in a couple of hours in January, how can people complain in September?

Because when the tickets sold out in January, a portion were snatched up by the secondary market who re-sell at a premium later. I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I'm not so enamored of Rod these days so for me the draw would be Beck. A pity it wasn't more than an extended encore.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 30, 2019 02:51

Rocky Dijon
roller99

Because when the tickets sold out in January, a portion were snatched up by the secondary market who re-sell at a premium later. I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I'm not so enamored of Rod these days so for me the draw would be Beck. A pity it wasn't more than an extended encore.

Actually this was by no means an immediate sellout. I paid under $40 for my ticket on Groupon and there were plenty of discounts early on with the ticket situation only heating up toward the end.

Date: September 30, 2019 03:49

Dan
Rocky Dijon
roller99

Actually this was by no means an immediate sellout. I paid under $40 for my ticket on Groupon and there were plenty of discounts early on with the ticket situation only heating up toward the end.

While I was contemplating going a few days prior to the show, I saw plenty tickets available at face value on Ticketmaster. Mid level price, and cheap ones in the upper levels.
Could never justify paying an arm and a leg to see Rod Stewart no matter who he was playing with, but even at the cheap prices might have felt letdown.

Posted by: trader62 ()
Date: October 1, 2019 03:19

I was there as well. I was expecting each to do a smaller set then come out together for a 3rd set of perhaps 45 minutes. That said, the 22 minutes we got truly blew me away and ended as my favorite concert set EVER! It ended differently than I would have expected but I'm nobody to judge their antics.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 1, 2019 05:35

I mean, there's a reason it wasn't billed as Rod Stewart AND Jeff Beck. It seemed very clearly advertised he was just a guest, but I get people's disappointment cause if they're there you'd hope they do more.

Date: October 1, 2019 06:29

I don't recall reading any advertisements that stated "he was just a guest", or at least none that were clearly advertised as such.
This was published back in June, and I posted it the same day.

"JEFF BECK ANNOUNCES HOLLYWOOD BOWL WITH ROD STEWART – SEPTEMBER 27

(Los Angeles, CA) June 17, 2019 – JEFF BECK will play the Hollywood Bowl where he will join his former band mate,
Rod Stewart for a landmark reunion set on what will be their most in-depth concert in over 35 years".

Maybe there was some clarification later somewhere that he was "just a guest", but by then most people already had expectations based on the above.
As the Jeff Beck fan posted on facebook: "The promotion of the show was misleading, and I feel ripped off...."

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 1, 2019 06:40

Every email I received was Rod Stewart in huge letters, then much smaller "featuring A Landmark Reunion Set with Jeff Beck". The most I would have expected from that was 45 minutes. But I can only go by every Livenation email I received which was very much a Rod Stewart show featuring a little Jeff Beck. I never expected 50/50, even though I get how you could read "set" as that way, just because all the advertisements just had Rod's picture and Jeff Beck is a big enough name that if it was equally his show it would have said "Rod Stewart & Jeff Beck". No ad I ever saw did.

Date: October 1, 2019 07:19

Well you must have paid closer attention to all the Live Nation emails than most people, but the initial announcements when tickets originally were to go on sale were not that clear.
Again, the initial announcement:

"JEFF BECK ANNOUNCES HOLLYWOOD BOWL WITH ROD STEWART – SEPTEMBER 27
...a landmark reunion set on what will be their most in-depth concert in over 35 years".

Notice both names in caps, and nothing indicating this was a Rod Stewart headlining show w/Jeff Beck as guest.

Most people who were interested at the beginning probably saw the same announcement hence the confusion.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 1, 2019 09:07

trader62
I was there as well. I was expecting each to do a smaller set then come out together for a 3rd set of perhaps 45 minutes. That said, the 22 minutes we got truly blew me away and ended as my favorite concert set EVER! It ended differently than I would have expected but I'm nobody to judge their antics.

This was never possible due to the 8pm start time on the ticket and the fact that shows at the Hollywood Bowl always end early.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 1, 2019 10:44

i heard a tape of Jeff's show in Phoenix. he has a cello player now & there's some interesting new material. not quite getting the Johnny Depp thing but Jeff is never predicable.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 1, 2019 19:44

Hairball
Whatever the case, sounds like a lame overpriced night at the Hollywood Bowl based on most reports I've read.
Jeff Beck fans disappointed with his limited time with Rod, and Rod Stewart fans bored with the anticlimactic set featuring Jeff.

So now that Jeff has finsihed his lame mini-tour with Depp, culminating with a lame appearance with Rod Stewart,
hopefully things will get back to normal and Jeff will tour small venues without any unnecessary distractions.

One thing you say is spot on, overpriced. It was way overpriced. I don't think it was lame, I don't think Beck gave less than expected, and I thought Rod was great.

Date: October 1, 2019 22:55

i'm listening to the rod & jeff stuff from hollywood bowl now. it's great.

Date: October 1, 2019 23:03

roller99
Hairball

One thing you say is spot on, overpriced. It was way overpriced. I don't think it was lame, I don't think Beck gave less than expected, and I thought Rod was great.

And your punctuation was good, too, Hairball. I never have a problem with your punctuation.

Date: October 2, 2019 03:23

I hope Jeff comes back around with a just Jeff tour. He was rolling in Tulsa then the Depp thing and last summer I saw him in Nashville but for me there was way too much Jimmy Hall. You know a beck / clapton / page gig would prob go over big time and be one hell of a idea for a tour
Idea

Date: October 2, 2019 03:30

Beck / Clapton / Page, and others - ARMS Benefit, 1983. A great show and the first time I saw any of them live (have since seen them all many times). Jeff was the absolute highlight, followed by Clapton. Page was so-so.
Doubt if the three of them would ever play together again (they haven't since), but of so I'll be first in on the presales. thumbs up

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: October 2, 2019 04:14

I saw Jeff at Eric Clapton's Crossroads last weekend. I thought his first few songs were amazing. A little crazy with Johnny Depp but I still enjoyed it.

Jeff Beck at Crossroads

Date: October 2, 2019 05:02

Hairball
Beck / Clapton / Page, and others - ARMS Benefit, 1983. A great show and the first time I saw any of them live (have since seen them all many times). Jeff was the absolute highlight, followed by Clapton. Page was so-so.
Doubt if the three of them would ever play together again (they haven't since), but of so I'll be first in on the presales. thumbs up

I did that also. Both nights
Dallas !

Would be a great idea. Where is the desert trip promoter......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-02 05:03 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: October 2, 2019 15:29

Jeff beck does need a sartorial overhaul though.
He is such a bad-ass on guitar, plus he builds hot-rods, so no one is going to mess with him, but - with all those girls around him, surely one of them can tell him how to dress better. The white leather/Apache/Keith image is questionable IMO.
But I am nitpicking.

His rendition of "Nadia" was a spiritual experience to me. And I do not say this lightly. The song itself, it's own tale, then Jeff Beck's whole take on it makes for incredible music.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 3, 2019 00:32

On his dress, I don't mind this look, not too much.

I did prefer his black vest with no shirt but maybe he got tired of that. cool smiley
Keith used to wear that, going sleeveless.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2019 00:39

…. always thought Beck was
doin his best to look like Link Wray …..

ROCKMAN

Date: October 3, 2019 01:05

he still looks like he did on the cover of "blow by blow" albeit with wrinkles & hair dye.

Date: October 3, 2019 02:18

crholmstrom
he still looks like he did on the cover of "blow by blow" albeit with wrinkles & hair dye.

smiling smiley

Amazing album, and he still plays like that...maybe even better!

Date: October 3, 2019 02:22

Rockman

...or Nigel Tufnel.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2019 02:26

…. heck yeah more like Nigel than Link … hhhaaaaaa good one Bill

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 3, 2019 02:43

I saw Jeff's Soundcheck Package and he looked very cool in his street clothes. Ironically, Jimmy Hall wore his street clothes for the show. I wouldn't pay a dime to see him if Depp was on the bill. Jeff has always been weird, c'est la vie.

Date: October 3, 2019 04:20

Rocky Dijon
Rockman

...or Nigel Tufnel.

but can he play "lick my love pump" on piano?

Date: October 3, 2019 05:00

Funny what he was wearing was brought up. What he had on in Tulsa a few weeks ago was just plain goofy. And it appeared to be dirty covered in spots all over the white what ever it was. I kept thinking it was made that way.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 3, 2019 09:47

As long as he doesn't look like Ritchie Blackmore these days.......that syrup looks worse than Carl Perkins' one.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home