Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: OT: Jeff Beck
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 17, 2019 20:00

JEFF BECK ANNOUNCES FIVE U.S. SOLO SHOWS THIS SEPTEMBER
IN ADDITION TO THE CROSSROADS FESTIVAL ON SEPTEMBER 20 and
HOLLYWOOD BOWL WITH ROD STEWART – SEPTEMBER 27

(Los Angeles, CA) June 17, 2019 – Announced today, JEFF BECK will add five solo shows to his 2019 U.S. touring schedule. In addition to the previously announced appearances at the Crossroads Festival and a show at the Hollywood Bowl, where he will join his former band mate, Rod Stewart, BECK will now include Kansas City, Tulsa, Austin, San Antonio and Phoenix to his 2019 U.S. live dates.

Joining BECK on Crossroads as well as the five solo dates will be Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Rhonda Smith on bass, Jimmy Hall on vocals and cellist Vanessa Freebairn-Smith. For the Hollywood Bowl show on Friday, September 27, BECK will join Rod Stewart, for a landmark reunion set on what will be their most in-depth concert in over 35 years.

Over the course of BECK’s distinguished 50+ music career, he has earned an incredible 8 Grammy Awards, been ranked by Rolling Stone as one of the “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time,” and been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twice – once as a member of the Yardbirds and again as a solo artist. In the summer of 2016, guitar virtuoso JEFF BECK celebrated his 5 decades of music with an extraordinary concert at the famous Hollywood Bowl. Jeff Beck: Live At The Hollywood Bowl is available now. Jeff is working on new music and looks to 2020 for release.

Visit JeffBeck.com for more information.

Jeff Beck on Tour:

September 17, Uptown Theater, Kansas City, MO

September 18, Brady Theater, Tulsa, OK

September 20, Crossroads Festival, Dallas, TX (with Eric Clapton + others)

September 21, Paramount Theatre, Austin, TX

September 22, Torbin Center for the Performing Arts, San Antonio, TX

September 24, Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, AZ

September 27, Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA (Jeff only with Rod Stewart)

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 17, 2019 23:13

Hopefully Jeff will do a show or two in NYC. I skipped him last time because he played Jones Beach, which I loathe. Nice lineup but could do without the cello player. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 18, 2019 10:42

i think the cello sounds like an interesting idea. jeff had a really good violin player on the tour with brian wilson & i enjoyed it. i really like cellos & this could be a good sound. rest of the band is beyond solid. hopefully jeff will extend the tour a bit.

Date: June 18, 2019 13:11

Yes!!!! Tulsa Brady theater Very close to my house !

Date: June 18, 2019 13:17

I wish no jimmy hall rather just see Jeff with no singer

Date: June 18, 2019 14:35

jumpontopofmebaby
I wish no jimmy hall rather just see Jeff with no singer

Agreed, his instrumental efforts are most appealing to me as well.

Date: June 19, 2019 20:22

2nd row dead center. Come on jimmy have a sore throat that night!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 19, 2019 21:12

Damn, I love Jimmy Hall's vocals and stage presence

Date: June 20, 2019 00:08

Elmo Lewis
Damn, I love Jimmy Hall's vocals and stage presence

He is good. But takes away from the “Jeff Beck” experience

He is hands down my favorite guitarist and just like see Jeff Be Jeff for the whole show. Nobody at all like him

Date: June 20, 2019 00:29

jumpontopofmebaby

Heading to Phoenix...2nd row dead center at the Celebrity Theater. A small circular venue (capacity 2600), and no seat is more than 75 ft. from the stage.
It also has a round rotating stage in the middle giving everyone a frontal view, but was told it doesn't rotate for all shows - would be happy if it didn't for this one.
As for Jimmy Hall I'm a bit indifferent, but the last time I saw him with Beck he only sang on a few songs.

Date: June 20, 2019 09:55

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby

Heading to Phoenix...2nd row dead center at the Celebrity Theater. A small circular venue (capacity 2600), and no seat is more than 75 ft. from the stage.
It also has a round rotating stage in the middle giving everyone a frontal view, but was told it doesn't rotate for all shows - would be happy if it didn't for this one.
As for Jimmy Hall I'm a bit indifferent, but the last time I saw him with Beck he only sang on a few songs.

are you going to hollywood bowl?

Date: June 20, 2019 10:21

Might chrolmstrom, but that particular date might not work out so can't commit yet.

Date: June 20, 2019 12:14

Hairball
Might chrolmstrom, but that particular date might not work out so can't commit yet.

some years back there was a tour with jeff & santana. at the gorge in washington, rod was added to the bill as headliner. they did 2 nights like that. i think i went to the 2nd one. anyway, santana played first & was ok. then beck (guitar shop line up) came out & it was like the apocalypse noise wise. middle age ladies were running out of the ampitheater with their hands on their ears. hilarious! beck ended with a stunning instrumental version of people get ready. he was supposed to play it with rod but left & rod was left holding the bag. he did people anyway but it was just pale compared to jeff's. hope you get to go to that show, hairball. i think it will be a special one. i would be tempted to go but travel isn't in the cards for me right now.

Date: June 21, 2019 17:20

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby

I saw Beck last summer in Nashville and jimmy was with him. He sang a lot of songs

OT - Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck concert
Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: September 29, 2019 00:22

Was anyone else at the Hollywood Bowl concert last night with Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck? What the heck happened? It was billed as a great reunion, but they only did a few songs together, then abruptly left the stage and ended the show. It seemed like Rod was having trouble getting Jeff to come out and play. When he did it was good, with some of the old songs like Ain't Superstitious, and some great playing. But there was no interaction between the two, and Jeff never said a word to the crowd. They suddenly left from opposite sides of the stage, barely saying goodbye, and didn't do an encore. It seems like something weird was going on...

Re: OT - Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck concert
Date: September 29, 2019 00:38

Maybe Jeff is the kind of musician that doesn't like to look back. He's still an innovator.

Date: September 29, 2019 00:46

I was thinking of going as I was under the impression Jeff would have an opening set, but that didn't happen and I couldn't make it after all (probably a good thing).
I read it was a letdown from several people .

Here's a short review from one disgruntled fan on an fb Jeff Beck fan page:

"Jeff Beck's so-called reunion set with Rod Stewart was five or six songs, and Beck had less than a half hour on stage... It seems that Jeff got used by Rod to fill some seats with some of the Beck fans. However, it was really just Rod's Las Vegas act on tour, with klog dancers, a Fleetwood Mac cover by his sequined chorus girls and four costume changes... Early in the show Rod touted that he and Jeff had a great warm up and we would have great set coming, but it was far too short.. The promotion of the show was misleading, and I feel ripped off.... There were some great Beck riffs, but sitting through more than 90 minutes of Stewart's glitzy Vegas show for such a short Beck cameo was a bummer..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-29 00:48 by Hairball.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 29, 2019 01:18

Report, videos and pictures (hey, at least Johnny Depp wasn't there):
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 29, 2019 01:50

I definitely wanted to go to this, and planned on it. Unfortunately I was very tired, and the weather took a bad turn. It was cool, with possible rain for an outdoor concert. Glad I didn't go now. I thought Jeck would be an opening act, followed by interaction with Rod. That's how it was when I saw him with Brian Wilson, and then Z.Z.Top. Good. Glad I didn't go.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 29, 2019 03:51

I have always loved Rod Stewart's music. Why is he such a douche - especially with Jeff and with Faces?

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: September 29, 2019 05:10

I saw Jeff Beck do a 3 song set (during and including Rod and his band’s set) that was billed during a Rod Stewart tour in 1988. First song when Beck came out, and he really cranked it up, was “I Ain’t Superstitious.” Beck blew the doors off the arena. Beck was supposed to stay with the tour but his cameo was cancelled shortly thereafter.

Re: Faces. Watch the full Ronnie Lane documentary on YouTube. He does say that he did not want to see another lead singer (i.e. after The Small Faces Steve Marriott headed off to Humble Pie) leaving for another direction (Rod went solo, starting with the success of his solo albums before the Faces split).

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 29, 2019 05:10

Back in the mid 80's when they toured together, it started in Vancouver and a few shows later after Oakland I believe, Beck quit. I remember Jeff saying they have a love-hate relationship. Rod loves him and he hates Rod.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 29, 2019 12:38

Full set , 5 songs

[youtu.be]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 29, 2019 15:13

Looking at the setlist, thats about exactly what I would have expected from this. It was never QUITE billed as a full show with the two of them (it kind of was, but you knew it was basically a Rod Stewart show that Jeff was just showing up at for some weird reason). And Rod is ALWAYS disappointing with past stuff. Combined with Jeff not wanting to look back, I feel bad for fans but this is about exactly what I would have expected from the two of them.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: September 29, 2019 17:54

Glad to see ended up without sleeves, wouldn't expect anything else.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 29, 2019 20:25

It was OK.

85 minute nonstop hit parade, awkward 6 minute intermission, Jeff comes out, and the place just goes dead.

The Do Ya Think I'm Sexy crowd wasn't digging it.

Date: September 29, 2019 20:55

Dan
It was OK.

85 minute nonstop hit parade, awkward 6 minute intermission, Jeff comes out, and the place just goes dead.

The Do Ya Think I'm Sexy crowd wasn't digging it.

That's probably closer to the truth than the diehard Jeff fan review I posted.
In other words, Jeff was a buzzkill for a majority in attendance, while a small handful of diehard Jeff fans felt cheated.
He should have guested for the entire set - something like Hot Legs could have been HOT!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 29, 2019 21:19

Hairball
JEFF BECK ANNOUNCES HOLLYWOOD BOWL WITH ROD STEWART – SEPTEMBER 27

(Los Angeles, CA) June 17, 2019 – JEFF BECK will play the Hollywood Bowl where he will join his former band mate, Rod Stewart for a landmark reunion set on what will be their most in-depth concert in over 35 years.

Visit JeffBeck.com for more information.

Possibly there's a very valid reason for people to grouse about getting 5 songs and just under 30 minutes of music...

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 29, 2019 23:53

roundnround
Was anyone else at the Hollywood Bowl concert last night with Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck? What the heck happened? It was billed as a great reunion, but they only did a few songs together, then abruptly left the stage and ended the show. It seemed like Rod was having trouble getting Jeff to come out and play. When he did it was good, with some of the old songs like Ain't Superstitious, and some great playing. But there was no interaction between the two, and Jeff never said a word to the crowd. They suddenly left from opposite sides of the stage, barely saying goodbye, and didn't do an encore. It seems like something weird was going on...

I was there. This is about the only account of what transpired in this thread. Anyone who complains that Beck disappointed didn't read the announcement when tickets sold out in January. It was never billed as anything more than a Rod Stewart concert, with a "special appearance" by Jeff Beck. The ending was strange, but who knows why. The two playing together was magic, and Rod was way better than last year, but he was battling cancer last year. Rod actually rocked the place. The ticket prices were a bit high, traffic and entry sucked, but once you got in, it was great.
Concert Review with photos and video.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 30, 2019 00:35

roller99
Anyone who complains that Beck disappointed didn't read the announcement when tickets sold out in January. It was never billed as anything more than a Rod Stewart concert, with a "special appearance" by Jeff Beck.

Beck's press release in June billed it as "a landmark reunion set on what will be their most in-depth concert in over 35 years." That is actually quite different from the earlier announcement. Tickets still change hands after sellouts since the secondhand market is based on just that. I understand people feeling cheated they only had 5 songs after that build-up, particularly if the deciding factor was their reunion.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home