Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 25 of 26
Re: Question about The Stones in Mono
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 29, 2017 11:32

Thanks everyone.gonna lend it from the library.great.on to the Amsterdam Arena.have fun everyone.
Jeroen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 29, 2017 16:24

damn jeroen...you have a great library!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 29, 2017 16:28

corriecas
Thanks everyone.gonna lend it from the library.great.on to the Amsterdam Arena.have fun everyone.
Jeroen
If you'll decide to purchase it be aware of Chinese fakes. They looks pretty much the same as original editions. Go to official store, not to ebay. Although, the Chinese version contains exactly the same digital material.

Date: September 29, 2017 16:39

ironbelly
corriecas
Jeroen
If you'll decide to purchase it be aware of Chinese fakes. They looks pretty much the same as original editions. Go to official store, not to ebay. Although, the Chinese version contains exactly the same digital material.

They look and sound the same, only less expensive. Sounds like compelling reasons to just go with the fakes! eye popping smiley

Date: September 29, 2017 16:39

treaclefingers

Yup, and only E2, for each cd to lend it for 6 weeks.
Great huh.
jeroen

Date: September 29, 2017 17:07

treaclefingers
ironbelly
corriecas
Jeroen

They look and sound the same, only less expensive. Sounds like compelling reasons to just go with the fakes! eye popping smiley
I do not track the prices closely these days but I know that original EU box could be purchased for 110-120 Euros (if you hit a promo or sale in a big chain store). There were reports that US versions (those are of fair quality due to missing inner and outer plastic sleeves) could be purchased for even less, like $80-$90. But again, you need to hit promo sale.

Chinese fakes at first were within 30-50 Euros. However, they were on sale on amazon marketplace at regular price.

That is why if you are looking for original - it is better to go to official store and pay premium. If you want to safe money - go to ebay or Aliexpress and track down Chinese for half a price (but mind that the paper is thinner and print quality is worth). Otherwise, there always is magic word - torrent winking smiley.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-29 17:09 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 29, 2017 17:37

Worth every penny.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 29, 2017 18:31

Dear Jeroen,
I have a spare one (In Mono CD-Box), it's definetly original and genuine - and still sealed. If you want it, it's 80 Euros plus postage.

Date: September 29, 2017 19:33

Papo
Dear Jeroen,
I have a spare one (In Mono CD-Box), it's definetly original and genuine - and still sealed. If you want it, it's 80 Euros plus postage.

Dear Papo, no thank you.
quite nice of you.
ciao
jeroen

Date: September 30, 2017 16:19

corriecas
treaclefingers

Yup, and only E2, for each cd to lend it for 6 weeks.
Great huh.
jeroen

So, 2 euros for each cd or for the whole box set? If per CD, that's a bit pricey for a 'loan'. In North America library's are free to take out books and music, so that's what I thought you were getting.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 30, 2017 16:44

I'm not a fan of mono. Can someone tell me the attraction?

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 30, 2017 16:54

Mono is not per se better than stereo, but some mono mixes from the sixties are very different to the stereo ones. In the early days of stereo artists and engineers did not care about about stereo mixes a lot, so the mono mixes often sound better and more powerful, imho.
Compare the Beatles LPs up to Help and you know what I mean.
Most of the Stones music in the mono box sounds a lot better than ever before I think...

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: September 30, 2017 23:39

Whale
Yes it is.
I found the earlier records a revelation in mono.
But with the vinyls there are a number of boxes with bad pressings in it reported here on the site.
So my TSMR and BB in mono are unplayable, for instance. Others have had similar issues.
There are also fake chinese copies of the CD box reported here on the site.
Your best buy are the SA-CDs that were available for a while. I regret not having bought those. That's really the best quality sound and it beats vinyl.

Luckily I played TSMR first. Problems with it. Sent the whole box back and got a new one, it's fine now. BB is fine too.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 30, 2017 23:42

slew
I'm not a fan of mono. Can someone tell me the attraction?

Why not Slew ? I wouldn't listen to everything in mono but some things are either only available in mono (Stones debut) or were made to be heard in mono (Pet Sounds, Sgt Pepper) just as some things are only available in stereo (Exile) and meant to be heard in stereo (Let It Bleed, Beggars).
Mono was the first market in the UK (probably till 1969) and until 1967 barely a thought was given to stereo mixes in pop with one or two exceptions. Generally only classical and jazz audiophiles were listening to stereo back then so there was no market. The pop market was mono, often there was no choice and if you wanted to hear what the band wanted you to hear it's the mono.
I don't have any quotes from the Stones but in terms of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys, Brian who was in charge is deaf in one ear. Mono is how he heard it and mixed it so you need to hear the mono mix. The stereo was mixed later by the studio engineer. John and George Beatle also considered mono the way to hear their 60s stuff. When George heard the Sgt Pepper cd he allegedly said "they've used the wrong tape". John bigged up the mono more than once post-Beatle complaining particularly about the early stereo albums and stereo Revolution mix (which he hated) while adoring the phasing heard on the mono Pepper but not the stereo.
Unfortunately, the best example (of course!) is the mop-heads.
Slew, if you listen to the first couple of mop-head albums in stereo and then in mono you will immediately see why the mono is desirable both artistically and historically and aesthetically (thank dog for spell check).
The stereo is not really stereo at all and basically consists of vocals one side, instruments the other. A common "stereo" mix by EMI pop at the time. See also The Hollies.
It's not even really stereo. The way you were supposed to hear it is mono, everything balanced perfectly out of the middle.
On the plus side, that kind of stereo is good for working out vocal and instrumental parts when you're learning about that kind of thing.

For the Stoners, their first two albums were basically mono only (though the second is more complicated as some tracks (the Chess recordings?) are collapsed stereo (fold-downs) rather than true mono ?!). I think that's right, off the top of my head. Regent Sound studio is not thought to have produced any true stereo mixes of the tracks the Stones made there.
Certainly for the fabulous foursome, up to and including the Shite album, if you want to hear what the band and producer wanted you to hear, mono is the only way.
Sgt Pepper has tonnes more effects (in particular phasing and ADT), is punchier and the way the band wanted you to hear it. It is THE statement. They went home after the mono was done. Even the inner sleeve is better in mono.smiling smiley The remixed stereo Help has 80s digital reverb and sounds (in my opinion) foul though many of the side 2 tracks are so bad that that cannot be helped. In mono, it is fab.

The singles (everyones from the 60s) were all intended to be heard in mono - Paperback Writer 45 for example and Revolution. In mono , hard as nails, in stereo, just not as good. All the care and detail went into the mono (see later for Stones example). Sometimes, parts were overdubbed live into the final mono mix which might be why the stereo abomination of My Generation song is missing guitar bits or has (even worse) re-recorded modern parts and seemingly a handclap machine/sample ffs.

For Stoners - the Chess recordings (1964-5) were actually made in good sounding stereo and collapsed to mono in the UK and the RCA cuts (1964-6) are ok too but up to and including Our Sad Tantric Majesties Distress, if you wanna hear the band how they intended you to hear it, mono is the way.
Sometimes a certain track is a bit better in stereo than mono mix-wise. Maybe mono isn't good on headphones but if you bang it on your stereo (oh the irony) speakers, pump that mono out nice and loud it'll melt yer brain and also protect your ears - headphones / earbuds are bad for your hearing.
The ultimate test case for me re The Stoners, mono or stereo argument is -
Get Off Of My Cloud.
The mono single mix kicks you in the face, steals your wallet, shouts at you very loudly and runs off spitting into the distance.
The stereo mix is feeble with Brian's guitar, isolated and puny on one side with Mick's vocals while everyone else stands on the other side of the stage wondering what happened to the vocal PA they were promised and why Brian hasn't shown up for work again.
Another cracking example is The Hollies "I Can't Let Go" which storms in the mono single mix, arguably their finest record while sounding diluted and feeble in the stereo. Yes, several here would say that The Hollies are diluted and feeble. I counter, not always in mono.

I would certainly get Aftermath and Majesties and all the singles in mono. The first album is mono only anyway and the second is a mixture.
There are some increases in overall fidelity this time round (in mono box) but it's too complicated to pull the box apart when you've drunk as much cava as I have. Aftermath and Majesties had not been issued in mono on cd yet. A major omission. Neither had Buttons.
Sorry I rambled there a bit. Shouldn't drink and post.

My main problem with the mono box is the duplication. They could have organised it better and included each unique mono AND stereo mix in fewer cds than the whole mono box allowing us to programme our own mono or stereo versions of US and UK albums thus sorting the Stones 1960s catalogue once and for all, everything in one place but that's not how ABKCO rolls. No recording session data in the box either which is pretty poor too. No out-takes either but let's assume that's too complicated rights-wise.
Personally, I love mono and stereo is great too. Nothing wrong with Tutti Frutti or Elvis's Sun output....they are mono only. Ray Davies swears by the mono Kinks (and at his brother). Brian Wilson only hears mono. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine is best and only heard in stereo. Exile On Main Street and Sticky Fingers and Beggars and Bleed - yep I'll take the stereo, there is no mono. The mono of Beggars and Bleed are collapsed stereo bar one track.Including them in the mono box was basically a bit of a con. We could have made those ourselves at home using a mono button or Y-lead (except Sympathy For The Devil).
Hope that helps.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 1, 2017 00:21

ROCKMAN

Date: October 1, 2017 01:08

Interesting post.
Can someone tell me why those two (12x5 and Big Hits High Tide) are worth so much. Is that for a promo version ?
The maroon unboxed mono 12x5 seems to be widely available ....is there a special version this refers to or did the $10,000 one include a free Brian Jones.

Date: October 1, 2017 01:16

LONG LIVE VINYL --- Issue 5 -- August 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: October 1, 2017 12:06

Thanks Rockman.

Date: October 1, 2017 12:13

.... anytime man ... anytime ...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 1, 2017 13:19

ash
Oh, those wonderful 20 Golden Greats by The Hollies [CDP 7 46238 2] winking smiley
And you are absolutely right mono and stereo Aftermath, BtB and TSMR are very different.

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: October 1, 2017 15:00

Papo
Mono is not per se better than stereo, but some mono mixes from the sixties are very different to the stereo ones. In the early days of stereo artists and engineers did not care about about stereo mixes a lot, so the mono mixes often sound better and more powerful, imho.
Compare the Beatles LPs up to Help and you know what I mean.
Most of the Stones music in the mono box sounds a lot better than ever before I think...
I fully agree. Those mono LP's are magic!

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 2, 2017 00:20

ash
Interesting post.
Can someone tell me why those two (12x5 and Big Hits High Tide) are worth so much. Is that for a promo version ?
The maroon unboxed mono 12x5 seems to be widely available ....is there a special version this refers to or did the $10,000 one include a free Brian Jones.

With 12x5 I imagine it refers to the rare and unique blue vinyl version.
About Big Hits, that different cover (two lines of text on front cover) ir very rare.

Re: "The Rolling Stones in Mono" - September 30 2016.
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 2, 2017 19:07

I have yet to buy the mono box, though I've been on the verge many times. For me, considering that their last release to be issued in Mono was 'Satanic Majesties' (right?), I feel like the thing to do is to buy the albums up through Majesties individually (whenever those finally come out) and leave my BB and LIB as the SACDs from 2002. Of course, I would miss out on 'Stray Cats'.....but thats my plan at the moment. Any weigh in on that strategy??

Date: October 2, 2017 19:47

floodonthepage
I have yet to buy the mono box, though I've been on the verge many times. For me, considering that their last release to be issued in Mono was 'Satanic Majesties' (right?), I feel like the thing to do is to buy the albums up through Majesties individually (whenever those finally come out) and leave my BB and LIB as the SACDs from 2002. Of course, I would miss out on 'Stray Cats'.....but thats my plan at the moment. Any weigh in on that strategy??

I think given the mismanagement involved in compiling the Mono box I'd say do that and get a friend to lend you their Stray Cat. The duplication involved in this box is a bit ridiculous. The Animals ABKCO box was similarly not well thought out with missing tracks and a cd that lasted a few minutes.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 24, 2017 01:34

ash
floodonthepage

I think given the mismanagement involved in compiling the Mono box I'd say do that and get a friend to lend you their Stray Cat. The duplication involved in this box is a bit ridiculous. The Animals ABKCO box was similarly not well thought out with missing tracks and a cd that lasted a few minutes.

thumbs up

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: October 28, 2017 15:28

This might be very old news for the most of you, - and has probably been
mentioned already,
- but new to me, - as I have just realized, that

Beggars Banquet
is speed corrected !
- as it was done on the 2002 DSD release.
This means that it runs a little faster, than the original Mono BB -
changing the key slightly.

So the completist will still have to own an original
vinyl mono release !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 15:33 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: December 27, 2017 00:29

Papo
Dear Jeroen,

Hi Papo, do you still have the box? I’m intrested. Please let me know, Thanks!

Date: May 11, 2018 06:40

Cool post, Rockman.

Date: May 11, 2018 07:57

thumbs up Charles ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: May 11, 2018 15:55

I recently entered the vinyl market. This one is on my wishlist. Does anyone have a spare one to sell (mint) for a reasonable price?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 25 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home