Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 26
Re: THE ROLLING STONES IN MONO: THE ULTIMATE REVIEW
Date: December 3, 2016 19:57

Fantastic article. I was on the fence about getting this but to read that Bob Ludwig was behind the board seals the deal and makes this a must buy.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 3, 2016 21:35

The DSD-files are available at AcousticSounds, but for US/Canada only.

The Rolling Stones In Mono - DSD - [store.acousticsounds.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 21:50 by Irix.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 4, 2016 14:11

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 18:03 by Honestman.

FAKE, counterfeit Rolling Stones in Mono box sets!
Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: December 2, 2016 05:30

Beware of fake Rolling Stones In Mono box sets sold on eBay for as low as $69 including free shipping.

Warning signs to look for:

-- shipped from China or Hong Kong
-- unreasonably low price or starting bid
-- sold in big quantities (more than 10 available)
-- other box sets listed by the same seller (Dylan: The Complete Album Collection, Judas Priest, U2, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Guns & Roses, Beatles etc.)

A Leonard Cohen box set with 11 CD's for $35.49? You wish!

Also, make sure you check the seller's feedback before making a purchase. Some buyers already pointed out that a box set they bought was fake.

I used to see these box sets in China in stores where they also sell fake D9 DVD's.

The fake Rolling Stones in MONO box sets appeared a few weeks (~3 weeks) after it was officially released. They are available in big numbers on a Chinese website for online shopping similar to eBay, Amazon for about 120 RMB each, which is nearly 18 USD. Again: 18 US dollars!

These are not bootlegs, but counterfeit items.

Well... if you don't mind that it's not the real deal then it's a good buy.

Why does eBay let these people sell counterfeit items? First of all, many times it's difficult to prove something's fake. (Many times even buyers don't realize that what they have bought is fake.) More importantly eBay wants to make money... I think eBay's approach is this: it's the buyers' responsibility to make sure that he/she is buying a genuine item, and he/she can return the item if not satisfied. EBay used to delete bootlegs, but they no longer mind sellers listing bootlegs.

And I wanna point out something very important:

Not all sellers from China sell fakes on eBay!!! (And it's not only people from China selling fakes!) There are some very good eBay stores based in China selling 100% genuine CD's, vinyl! I can even name a few stores that I have had a very good experience with, and have a very good reputation. So make sure to check their feedback, and think twice before buying something that looks suspiciously cheap.

Prior to buying anything on eBay talk to the seller, ask questions, communicate!

Re: FAKE, counterfeit Rolling Stones in Mono box sets!
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 2, 2016 06:37

My fake Beatles Mono box.
Yer Bles...grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 2, 2016 06:45

Toru A

Everbody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

Nrvolution 9

grinning smiley

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 2, 2016 07:47

Biggest tip off is the FAST SHIPPING from China part.

I have obtained some junk from China on ebay before when I didn't really care and it wasn't important if it was real or not, like those mini vacuums they can somehow sell for 99 cents free shipping... but it takes 60 days to show up.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 2, 2016 08:54

thanks for the warning.

btw. Cohen's 11 CD box is indeed being sold for 24 Euros in Germany - the genuine item

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: December 2, 2016 16:32

slewan
thanks for the warning.

btw. Cohen's 11 CD box is indeed being sold for 24 Euros in Germany - the genuine item
And in the US for about $30 a couple months ago - now $70

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 2, 2016 16:33

Thanks for that. I'm waiting on the Mono CD box from a US EBay seller with good feedback (I bid $100 and it was accepted ). But I did notice all those $79 or so listings and see them all coming from Shanghai and the likes - I wasn't gonna go there.
FYI: US Amazon price seems to vary - I think the other day it was around $120, and then yesterday it was over $160.

An update to this: I went back and double checked my Ebay seller and see while they have a 98.9% positive rating, there ARE two instances in the past year claiming the item was fake (I can't see which item they were). And the seller just relisted the Mono Box - and they sell a lot of the Jungle Book DVD (?). Hopefully it's legit when it arrives - I will post when I get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-02 17:16 by DEmerson.

Posted by: countbean ()
Date: December 3, 2016 04:43

Any ways to identify the fakes other than how they are sold? Paying more for an item is no guarantee is not fake. Once they hit the secondary market even the sellers themselves may not know. Discogs is helpful in identifying the mould SID codes on the Beatles in Mono counterfeits but they have no listing for the Stones box yet. Do all the counterfeits say "Made in the EU"? This would mean a "made in the USA" label would be legit at least.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 3, 2016 05:20

One thing I do on ebay when I really really care and I might "pay up" for an item (which is not often, because in reality it is all crap. Some stuff might be an investment but I dont buy much high end stuff. I stick to stuff I obtain for my enjoyment of an item or person or music behind the item... and if maybe later I might be able to sell it for what I paid for it or a lil more then I am happy)... yadda yadda yadda

Anyway... one thing I do when I really really care and I might pay up for an item is I look for what else the person has. What have they sold? What did not sell? How fast did they drop the price when an item went unsold. How much DO THEY value their stuff.

I use the filters SOLD and COMPLETED to look at the seller and the types of items they have. Do they have "too many" of the same thing? Are they willing to keep dropping the price when things dont sell? Does the item you are looking at "make sense" that this person would have it for sale?

Of course it is more complicated than that... and then there is luck and fate.

I ALWAYS ask the seller of "serious item" a question before I am going to give them money... and/or if something seems odd I will ask them where they got the item. They can lie, but at least you can get a feel for the deal.

And then there are the counterfeits that are so good they are actually real. Like really nice sports jerseys and stuff that IS ALL MADE CHINA. Most of them are shipped to the US and then the NBA NFL MLB sell it in their stores for $350.00... meanwhile some guy in China who works at the factory pulls 50-100 "extras" off the assembly line and sends them to his friend in Cleveland and they sell them for 50 bucks... and they are exactly the same. Made in the same factory. Are they fake? They have all the same tags.

I (do my best to) never fall in love with an item. I dont have to have anything, but there are some things I really want but I (do my best to) never get crazy and HAVE TO HAVE IT!!! I WILL OUT BID EVERYONE!!! That is just dumb unless one has more money than brains or soberness...

so anyway... for what that is worth...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 3, 2016 05:30

Doubly upsetting if you purchase a counterfeit and it turns out to be fake too.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2016 12:35

FAKE!!! .... now that's a word I've heard a lot over the past two years .... hhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 3, 2016 13:47

slewan
thanks for the warning.

Ditto - £23 on Amazon in the UK and genuine.

Date: December 4, 2016 08:23

rebelrebel
slewan
thanks for the warning.

Well... Then the counterfeit set is overpriced! >grinning smiley<

Btw, why do the Stones box sets cost over a hundred bucks when a Cohen set with 11 CD's can be purchased for 23 pounds? Politics...

Date: December 4, 2016 08:26

schillid

So a counterfeit item is not a fake item? My native language is not English. I thought they're pretty much the same.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 4, 2016 11:23

frenki09
schillid

So a counterfeit item is not a fake item? My native language is not English. I thought they're pretty much the same.

Same thing. Just joking.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 4, 2016 12:19

frenki09
rebelrebel
slewan
thanks for the warning.

Well... Then the counterfeit set is overpriced! >grinning smiley<

Btw, why do the Stones box sets cost over a hundred bucks when a Cohen set with 11 CD's can be purchased for 23 pounds? Politics...

I have both the Stones in Mono and the Cohen boxsets. The packaging is much better for the Stones in Mono, though certainly not 100 bucks better.

Date: December 4, 2016 18:14

Dear BV/Moderator,

I am not sure if it was a good idea to move my FAKE, counterfeit Rolling Stones in Mono thread to The Rolling Stones in Mono thread.

This was the first time ever for me to start a thread, although I have been a member for years, and have been commenting other people's posts on IORR. By starting a completely fresh thread, my 'mission' was to shine a light on a problem, and help others.

In such a long thread as this one, information gets lost with time, and I don't think moving my thread here serves its purpose.

I didn't think I violated any rules by starting a separate topic regarding the box set.

I feel you (Moderator, Bee Vee) ruined my work -- even though my topic was not deleted.

The people who commented about these counterfeit items didn't analyze The Rolling Stones in Mono set that was officially released, didn't add information on the sound quality nor did they provide additional facts, thoughts about the official release. I believe this proves that the FAKE, counterfeit Rolling Stones in Mono box sets topic could be looked at a stand alone thread, not a part of a greater topic.

I am not saying that by this you are helping people to sell counterfeit items, but you are definitely not helping those who would never realize that there's a possibility of buying a fake Rolling Stones in Mono set.

I am greatly disappointed with your decision to incorporate my thread into another thread.

Regards,

Frankie

Date: December 4, 2016 21:17

Irix
[email protected]

I was on the fence about getting this but to read that Bob Ludwig was behind the board seals the deal and makes this a must buy.

Which edition would you buy? Vinyl, CD or Digital?

Vinyl. Is there any other way to listen to music? LOL.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 4, 2016 21:35

[email protected]

Vinyl. Is there any other way to listen to music?

Yes, for instance the DSD-Masters -- from which the Vinyls were cut ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 21:50 by Irix.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 7, 2016 03:59

Cristiano Radtke
Toru A

Everbody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

Nrvolution 9

grinning smiley

hey, You Don't Always Get What You Want

Re: "The Rolling Stones in Mono" - September 30 2016.
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 7, 2016 18:51

The Rolling Stones in Mono Vinyl Box Set Competition

Win a copy of The Rolling Stones in Mono Vinyl Box Set!
Simply answer the question below to enter.

The competition is open worldwide to people 13 years of age and over, except employees of Universal Music and its associated, affiliated or subsidiary companies, and their families, agents, or anyone connected with this competition.

Ends: 31st December 2016

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: December 7, 2016 19:53

Cristiano Radtke
The Rolling Stones in Mono Vinyl Box Set Competition

Win a copy of The Rolling Stones in Mono Vinyl Box Set!
Simply answer the question below to enter.

The competition is open worldwide to people 13 years of age and over, except employees of Universal Music and its associated, affiliated or subsidiary companies, and their families, agents, or anyone connected with this competition.

Ends: 31st December 2016

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

The comp question is easy enough but those CAPTCHA pictures are impossible

Date: December 9, 2016 20:31

Received my Mono CD box from an Ebayer in Providence RI ($100) I'm honestly not sure if it's counterfeit or not. In fact, if I hadn't seen this thread I likely wouldn't had even wondered. If it IS a fake, it's a damn good one! Only things that make me suspicious (and I've seen others make mention of this elsewhere): colors on the covers are 'off' (LIB in particular just seems 'mustardy' in tone). The booklet too, while it looks 'ok', it's just a tiny bit 'grainy' or pixilated. Not super sharp. (I used to work in printing so have something of an eye). Is it 'fake' or is the 'real thing' just a tad under quality in print? The other thing, is a few of the CDs are in the wrong sleeves (Stray Cats was in BTB and vice versa). Also, they were not in correct order when I 1st opened it. Sound wise? So far so good - although I have nothing to compare it to. Sounds and plays fine (have only listened to a couple so far). So, all these things put together seem to add up. Also the seller, while at a 98% + EBay feedback, did have 2 negatives saying they were sold 'high quality fakes'. (I can't tell what items they were though.). Anyway, again, if I hadn't read this thread, I might not even be concerned. And really, for $100, I'm happy enough either way. For those that need top notch quality across the board, as usual - the Japanese versions are getting rave reviews (if you want to spend $300 or more). Be interested to hear anyone else's experience with their box set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 20:38 by DEmerson.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 9, 2016 22:26

DEmerson
Received my Mono CD box from an Ebayer in Providence RI ($100) I'm honestly not sure if it's counterfeit or not. In fact, if I hadn't seen this thread I likely wouldn't had even wondered. If it IS a fake, it's a damn good one! Only things that make me suspicious (and I've seen others make mention of this elsewhere): colors on the covers are 'off' (LIB in particular just seems 'mustardy' in tone). The booklet too, while it looks 'ok', it's just a tiny bit 'grainy' or pixilated. Not super sharp. (I used to work in printing so have something of an eye). Is it 'fake' or is the 'real thing' just a tad under quality in print? The other thing, is a few of the CDs are in the wrong sleeves (Stray Cats was in BTB and vice versa). Also, they were not in correct order when I 1st opened it. Sound wise? So far so good - although I have nothing to compare it to. Sounds and plays fine (have only listened to a couple so far). So, all these things put together seem to add up. Also the seller, while at a 98% + EBay feedback, did have 2 negatives saying they were sold 'high quality fakes'. (I can't tell what items they were though.). Anyway, again, if I hadn't read this thread, I might not even be concerned. And really, for $100, I'm happy enough either way. For those that need top notch quality across the board, as usual - the Japanese versions are getting rave reviews (if you want to spend $300 or more). Be interested to hear anyone else's experience with their box set.

You need to check CD but not only covers. I.e. read matrix numbers and compare them with those posted on discogs. compare the fonts used to print matrix numbers. Check IFPI codes to see where the CD's were pressed.
Because these days it is much easier to fake booklets and covers than the CD. All Chinese stuff is easily detected by absence of IFPI codes or wrong IFPI codes or strangely weird font used to press matrix numbers.
For example, this is from European box

The Rolling Stones
Matrix #: arvato 56362418/00018771981428 21 [Universal logo]x4
SID Mould Code: IFPI 077Y (two last digits could be different, it is an ID of the mould/pressing machine)
SID Mastering Code: IFPI LP 73
The CD is made by ARVATO (former Arvato Digital Services) in Germany.

For Japanese SHM version you'll have
Matrix #: UICX-75177 1 [Universal logo] x 2
SID Mould Code: IFPI 45KF (two last digits could be different, it is an ID of the mould/pressing machine)
SID Mastering Code: IFPI L278

I do not know what should be for US or Canadian pressings but if you provide IFPI codes it would be possible to figure out the origin of the CD.
Here is an example with the codes of interest

Date: December 10, 2016 01:34

Thanks you for that detailed reply ironbelly! So, you're saying is compare the tiny IFPL # on the reverse side of the CD to what discogs lists?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:55

DEmerson
Thanks you for that detailed reply ironbelly! So, you're saying is compare the tiny IFPL # on the reverse side of the CD to what discogs lists?
Yes. You should check those tiny letters and numbers in ifpi codes. Those are id's of the pressing plant.

However, they could be missing on discogs site (especially for new releases). Thus, it is better head for global IFPI data base like
[home.lyse.net]

Or
[wiki.musik-sammler.de])

Mind, that SID Mould code is barely visible in some cases. So you should have strong lamp and lenz handy

Posted by: countbean ()
Date: December 16, 2016 21:25

I have an answer to my previous post: Following all the recommendations about ebay sellers I purchased a "Made in the USA" box. When it arrived I noticed glue on the outside of CD covers, poor quality colors, etc. Searched the molded IFPI number and all the sites that came up were in Chinese characters. FAKE!! The seller claimed he did not realize that fakes existed and allowed a return for refund.
The box was different from the legitimate ones I have seen online. The individual CD's only fit in the box if they were loaded nose down where the legitimate ones are pictured loaded horizontally.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home