Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26
Re: "The Rolling Stones in Mono" - September 30 2016.
Date: October 7, 2016 10:42

Bought the CD set yesterday, and was surprised to see the Stray Cats-CD in there. I thought that was exclusive for the vinyl box?

IMO, some of the fold-downs work better for different albums. Street Fighting Man, for instance, doesn't work. The lead vocals vanishes a bit from the mix in places, for instance. Gimmie Shelter and Let It Bleed, however, are excellent.

It was great to hear Aftermath, an album which I always have wanted in mono (quite expensive on the market). Some of the songs (Stupid Girl, for instance) get a little overcrowded in mono, as so much stuff is going on at the same time. But I thought the album sounded great in mono.

BTB also sound good, and the Stray Cats-CD is just lovely. Dandelion in mono didn't really work, as the guitar is inaudible. Is this a fold-down, too?

Anyways, it's a lovely release smileys with beer

Date: October 7, 2016 12:00

lukpac
His Majesty
DrPete
Which Chess songs are in stereo and are they made into mono for this release?

All of the Chess recordings were recorded on 3 or 4 track, then mixed to stereo in 1964/65, but it seems they were all released in mono (the stereo mixed folded in to mono) in 60's.

Yes, as they were when originally released.

All of the 1964 songs were mixed to stereo:

It's All Over Now
If You Need Me
Empty Heart
2120 South Michigan Ave
Confessin' The Blues
Around And Around
Down The Road Apiece
I Can't Be Satisfied
Look What You've Done
What A Shame
Time Is On My Side

Look What You've Done was issued in stereo on December's Children. The remaining songs were originally only issued in mono or fake stereo. Starting in the late '60s or early '70s, however, the stereo mixes started showing up on various releases, such as the remastered Big Hits.

The mono "mixes" are just reductions of the stereo mixes; no dedicated mono mixes exist, or at least have been released.

The 1965 Chess tracks have never been issued in stereo. My suspicion is that those were not mixed at Chess, and thus were only mixed to mono.

You are correct AFAIK. I went through all my versions of "Look what you done", and Stereo only shows on the "Decembers Children" version. All others Mono.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:31

I never listened to the Stones in mono.
'Love in vain' is fantastic!

Date: October 7, 2016 12:32

pepganzo

I thought the whole LIB album sounded fantastic in mono.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:33

DandelionPowderman
pepganzo

I thought the whole LIB album sounded fantastic in mono.

Of course.
Also 'Live with me' has got a different impact.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:56

oh my god i am waiting for the 21 october (france) my vinyl box
can't wait!!!!

Posted by: lukpac ()
Date: October 7, 2016 20:16

donvis
I would like to see some detailed analysis as to which of the mono mixes are brand-new for the first time and available only to this box set.

There are a few mixes that were apparently unreleased prior to the box. 19th Nervous Breakdown, Back Street Girl, and Please Go Home. Most or all of the rest of the box is previously released, either on vinyl or CD.

Aftermath, Buttons, and Satanic are mostly unique here on CD, as are a few other tracks like some of Flowers, Sympathy, etc. Everything else was either released in mono in 2002 already, or was released in stereo there but is just a fold-down here.

DandelionPowderman
Bought the CD set yesterday, and was surprised to see the Stray Cats-CD in there. I thought that was exclusive for the vinyl box?

No. It will apparently not be issued as a stand-alone release, but it has always been listed as being part of the CD box.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 9, 2016 17:48

Satanic is wonderful.......this album keeps moving up my favorite Stones list..eye rolling smiley

Date: October 9, 2016 18:32

Maindefender
Satanic is wonderful.......this album keeps moving up my favorite Stones list..eye rolling smiley

Isn't it? Same here; satanic climbs higher and higher.
And re. Mono - whoa! I listened to a bunch of songs in Mono, and the impact is massive.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 9, 2016 21:07

i played let it bleed in the car this morning & it sounds fantastic to my (admittedly damaged) ears

Posted by: fspadafora ()
Date: October 10, 2016 23:42

john lomax
I am really annoyed. I paid £345 from the uDisxover store and now it's £289 on Amazon. I have asked uDiscover to either cancel my order or give me a credit voucher for the difference. Really dodgy and really annoying to see the price drop so much - I should have waited!

You are paying extra for the bonus 7" vinyl set. If you might not want those, I would buy them from you for more than the difference in price.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 11, 2016 00:15

Just listening to SYMPATHY in Mono. Must admit it is nice to hear all the instruments. Very clearly.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2016 04:11

fspadafora
john lomax
I am really annoyed. I paid £345 from the uDisxover store and now it's £289 on Amazon. I have asked uDiscover to either cancel my order or give me a credit voucher for the difference. Really dodgy and really annoying to see the price drop so much - I should have waited!

You are paying extra for the bonus 7" vinyl set. If you might not want those, I would buy them from you for more than the difference in price.
i'll pay you a gbp more than lomax will

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 11, 2016 07:02

Thanks , lukpac!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 07:03 by donvis.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: October 11, 2016 14:14

I received the Mono-Box today.It's a nice addition to the collection at home. I haven't listened to it yet, though (no proper equipement in the office).
The cover to Stray Cats (a very nice collection, b.t.w.)looks like the old Beaggars cover, andt mentionnes B.Y.O.B. (instead of R.S.V.P. on the B.B. cover. Funny.

resotele

Date: October 11, 2016 14:30

TSMR sounds awesome in mono, imo. Is this the real mono mix, or a fold-down?

I would have thought Keith's guitar would disappear a little on Citadel, if it's a fold-down, but it sounds great.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:51

I love the sound on this, which is ultimately the most important part. But the artwork lacks to me, don't think that the covers are as bright and vibrant as they should be. Anyway else feel the same?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: October 11, 2016 17:55

DandelionPowderman

I would have thought Keith's guitar would disappear a little on Citadel, if it's a fold-down, but it sounds great.

True mono.
3 times bells on the intro to The Lantern, compared to 2 times on the fold-down (and stereo).

Date: October 11, 2016 17:59

rootsman
DandelionPowderman

True mono.
3 times bells on the intro to The Lantern, compared to 2 times on the fold-down (and stereo).

Thanks! thumbs up

That's what I thought.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 11, 2016 22:43

Please allow me to ask a technical question over here? Anybody has the US CD box? Where the CDs were pressed?

The EU version was pressed by ARVATO with SID Mould Code IFPI 07XX (XX are two numbers). And the back covers and box were printed in the EU.

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: October 12, 2016 23:47

toomuchforme
Just listening to SYMPATHY in Mono. Must admit it is nice to hear all the instruments. Very clearly.
Have you heard the surround mix of Sympati from 2002? You can hear everything even more clearly

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 14, 2016 13:20

Ended up buying the CD box. Basically I'm impressed. The obvious complaint as mentioned already is the darkness of some covers. My copy has plastic inner sleeves,but no poster or special inner sleeves as advertised for BB and LIB. Mine was pressed in Czech and no limited edition number either. Makes me wonder why there are different reports about the content of the box. But happy to say I'm pleased with the amazing sound.

Date: October 14, 2016 13:57

frankotero
Ended up buying the CD box. Basically I'm impressed. The obvious complaint as mentioned already is the darkness of some covers. My copy has plastic inner sleeves,but no poster or special inner sleeves as advertised for BB and LIB. Mine was pressed in Czech and no limited edition number either. Makes me wonder why there are different reports about the content of the box. But happy to say I'm pleased with the amazing sound.
Could you kindly provide info on matrix numbers etc. Where you found it is pressed in Czech? Just an example of the CD made in Germany with booklet printed in the EU.

The Rolling Stones
Catalog #: 018771981428
Matrix #: arvato 56362418/00018771981428 21 [Universal logo]x4
SID Mould Code: IFPI 077Y
SID Mastering Code: IFPI LP 73
The CD is made by ARVATO (former Arvato Digital Services) in Germany.
CZ media suppose to have different IFPIs - SID Mould Code IFPI 5J** and SID Mastering Code - IFPI LD0* (* is a number or letter). Is this your case?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-14 14:31 by ironbelly.

Date: October 14, 2016 14:26

The vinyl was pressed in the czech republic. I'm not sure if the cds are..

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 14, 2016 14:30

I will look at them when I get home. It will be a few hours though. Off the top of my head I could swear the CDs are made in Czech and the covers and box are marked EU.

Posted by: mickboy ()
Date: October 14, 2016 16:18

my cd box, on the bottom states that the cd's were pressed in the czech republic. Does GZ have the capabilities to press cds??

mickboy

Date: October 14, 2016 16:20

mickboy
my cd box, on the bottom states that the cd's were pressed in the czech republic. Does GZ have the capabilities to press cds??

mickboy

Yes

Date: October 14, 2016 16:22

my cd box IS pressed in the CR. It states in on the BOTTOM of the cd box. On the back of the box it just says 'manufactured in the EU.
Mickboy

Date: October 14, 2016 16:24

Good Morning DP! It's only six thrirty two in the morning here in Seattle washington.
mickboy

Date: October 14, 2016 16:29

mickboy

mickboy
Yes, GZ produces CDs. Just check the letters and numbers on the play side around the hub. There should be two IFPI notations. One on the hub like IFPI 5J** (maybe you'll need a lens to locate it) and another on the inner mirror band like IFPI LD02 (or something like that).

mickboy

mickboy
The bottom of the box said Made in the Czech Republic but nothing about where CD's were pressed. The one I show above were pressed by Arvato.
[www.discogs.com]
This is German based company though it has manufacturing facilities in different countries. If one check data base for IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry) codes on your CD's you'll find the country of origin and manufacturing plant. In my case the data base
[home.lyse.net]
clearly points to Germany.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-14 16:50 by ironbelly.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home