Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: in the 70s, I liked neiter Queen nor Elton John
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 17, 2016 18:13

I liked Elton John when I was a kid in the early '70's. My older brother bought the Crocodile Rock single, and my sister bought all of his albums up to about '75. Soooo many great songs that were played on the radio all the time. My wife took me to see him live in Hawaii a few years ago and it was a great performance - a great band, a blast from the past, and no denying he's a great/virtuoso piano player.

As for Queen - they were completely unique and original. Soooo many great songs! My favorite is probably You're My Best Friend...I'd say it's a perfect pop rock song. As for their more hard rocking side - Keep Yourself Alive and Tie Your Mother Down are fantastic. Brian May is one of the best guitar players in the universe. Never bothered to see them live back in the day regrettably...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-17 18:14 by Hairball.

Date: July 17, 2016 19:10

LeonidP
Both Elton & Queen has several songs that I like a lot (thinking specifically of Crazy Little Thing Called Love ... my favorite Queen song!), but overall I agree, neither was ever high on my band favorites list.

For ones I never really liked, that people seem to love ... my tops are Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel. Especially BJ, I can't stand his singing voice, if you call it singing (mostly he is just talking, it seems to me).

You had me scared there for a second; I thought you were saying that Billy Joel was tops with you. Can not go for his crap.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: July 17, 2016 21:07

In my case I grow up when Queen was at their peak with The Game so their music is in my mind in a way I don't need to put a CD to listen to them.

Too many great songs and great albums, Live Killers, Jazz, a Night at the Opera...

What i never understood to this day is their bad change in their music direction after The Game.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 17, 2016 21:09

slew
I love Elton's seventies work. Since then he has not been good in my opinion. I like a few Queen songs but overall not my cup of tea. Love Freddie's voice and they were amazing at Live Aid. Bohemian Rhapsody is the one "classic" song that I think is complete garbage!

BR seemed like a weird, long novelty song to me. The Wayne's World movie seemed to have made it cool to young fans.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 17, 2016 21:33

Hairball
I liked Elton John when I was a kid in the early '70's. My older brother bought the Crocodile Rock single, and my sister bought all of his albums up to about '75. Soooo many great songs that were played on the radio all the time. My wife took me to see him live in Hawaii a few years ago and it was a great performance - a great band, a blast from the past, and no denying he's a great/virtuoso piano player.

As for Queen - they were completely unique and original. Soooo many great songs! My favorite is probably You're My Best Friend...I'd say it's a perfect pop rock song. As for their more hard rocking side - Keep Yourself Alive and Tie Your Mother Down are fantastic. Brian May is one of the best guitar players in the universe. Never bothered to see them live back in the day regrettably...

so that's 3 songs. 3

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 18, 2016 01:13

Stones50
Hairball

so that's 3 songs. 3

Congrats - you know how to count to three! thumbs up
I could name a dozen more, but not sure if you can count that high lol.

Truth be told, I'm not a big Queen fan - I only know what I've heard on the radio and how great some of those songs are.
I don't even own any of their albums, but it would have been great to see them live back in their heyday.

Off the top of my head a few other great ones IMO, but to each his own:

Stone Cold Crazy
Killer Queen
Somebody to Love
Play the Game
We Are the Champions
Under Pressure w/Bowie
Liar

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: July 18, 2016 01:27

I would also add:

Hammer to Fall
Fat Bottomed Girls
Spread Your Wings
Need your loving tonight
Rock it
Sleeping on the sidewalk
In Love with my car
We Will rock you (fast version)

Regards
Fernando

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 18, 2016 01:51

I don't have any records of Queen...but for sure they made some great tunes.
I bought the first single "Your Song" from Elton John and have his Greatest Hits album which was released halfway the 70's....and yes he made great songs with Bernie Taupin in their early day's......

I can't remember he already was dressed up in extravagant clothes back in '71

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: wilsoncrow ()
Date: July 18, 2016 02:29

take me to the pilot by elton and dragon attack by queen. great tunes.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 19, 2016 01:15

my favourite queen songs would be

bohemian rhapsody
killer queen
in love with my car
death on 2 legs
we are the champions
dont stop me now
somebody to love
radio gaga
a kind of magic
lap of the gods

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 19, 2016 01:38

two completely different acts-

Eltons first record was a classic very well written and performed.after that he became a bit of a joke.he's been around so long now i have grown to respect him a bit and he seems like a good dude but outside of that first record his music isn't my thing.

Queen were a scary good band,top notch playing and writing.one of the best rock and roll bands ever.anyone who ever saw them live will never forget it i'll tell you that.Freddy Mercury's voice actually sounded better live than on the records-awe inspiring.

Posted by: alfadriver85 ()
Date: July 19, 2016 02:00

is it neater, neeter, neiter, neuter or neither?

btw: elton peaked at goodbye yellow brick road and queen never peaked. just plain terrible.

please don't respond by saying brian may is a genius (which scientifically he is) and freddy mercury was talented. he wasn't. ouch.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 19, 2016 02:53

i'm long past the days of arguing about which music is good or bad-

it becomes an exercise in futility-you said chocolate ice cream is better than black cherry vanilla? are you crazy,you are a fool..

i have no idea when Eltons fan's think he peaked,i liked his first record and didn't like anything after that,who cares.

i began to respect him when i heard him on the Howard Stern show talking about the dust up with Keith.Howard, always looking to stir up trouble said"don't you think Keith Richards is a little washed up"

Elton said "i would never question those boys talent"the message was clear-we had words,it's over.his music isn't my thing but that was awesome, so he's a good guy in my book.

Queen isn't for everybody but i saw them in an age that within months i'd seen the Who,Led zeppelin,the Stones,the Floyd and about a hundred other bands that people would kill to see today,they held their own with any of them-

Freddy Mercury didn't have talent? uh,ok...i guess we all hear things differently.he sounded pretty good to me.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 19, 2016 06:41

I have thousands of albums, but never bought a Queen album. Only bought my first Elton John record a few years ago, the one with Leon Russell, and then got Tumbleweed Conniption. They were both inescapable growing up, but I wasn't a fan of either.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 19, 2016 07:33

Okay; I was around back then. I'll meet you three-quarters of the way:

I think 'Yellow Brick Road'(1973) was EJ's last listenable album.

I've NEVER liked Queen from day one.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 19, 2016 09:10

I should be ashamed of myself Roscoe but I am very pleased that you liked
"Yellow Brick Road". I worked for Elton at the time and MCA was such a
lousy label they didn't comprehend that this was THE BIGGIE. I had to move
mountains to get them behind it. I believe it's his biggest selling album. It has made a fortune. And, no, I didn't get a reward...After all I was only
a female.

Having complimented you, I now have to tear you to ribbons re Queen.
I was not necessarily a huge fan but I do think that Freddie Mercury was
fantastic on stage. He knew how to use his voice on a good night. All the English singers admired him, including Jagger.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: July 20, 2016 14:28

39, played on the 12 string and sung by Brian May is one of my favourite Queen songs. Never been a big fan. Having said that I think it was easier for Queen to sound like the Stones than the other way around: A bottle of whisky does the trick. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-20 14:32 by DonParker.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 20, 2016 18:26

I didn`t share their vision. If they ever had any vision at all. A vision can often be vague, but something is better than nothing. It`s all been partying and having fun from then on.

Date: July 20, 2016 18:38

lem motlow
i'm long past the days of arguing about which music is good or bad-

it becomes an exercise in futility-you said chocolate ice cream is better than black cherry vanilla? are you crazy,you are a fool..

i have no idea when Eltons fan's think he peaked,i liked his first record and didn't like anything after that,who cares.

i began to respect him when i heard him on the Howard Stern show talking about the dust up with Keith.Howard, always looking to stir up trouble said"don't you think Keith Richards is a little washed up"

Elton said "i would never question those boys talent"the message was clear-we had words,it's over.his music isn't my thing but that was awesome, so he's a good guy in my book.

Queen isn't for everybody but i saw them in an age that within months i'd seen the Who,Led zeppelin,the Stones,the Floyd and about a hundred other bands that people would kill to see today,they held their own with any of them-

Freddy Mercury didn't have talent? uh,ok...i guess we all hear things differently.he sounded pretty good to me.

Queen? Posers that wrote sap-rock.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 20, 2016 19:59

Early Elton albums good, but his musical direction fell out of whatever favor with me soon afterwards. Queen had a few catchy songs, but I never bought or played any of it via records, cassettes or cd's.

To each his own.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: July 20, 2016 20:35

mandu
I was into Glam Rock the sweet,gary glitter,t.rex,Elton john,rod stewart,slade stuff like this

Me too Mandu but then I discovered the Stones.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 20, 2016 22:38

Elton John does absolutely NOTHING for me musically!
It's all one big bore to me.
How Elton is 'famous' is beyond me.

Queen, I know the radio hits & that's it.
Never bought anything by them or had enough interest in
A song to buy anything.

I think 'My Best Friend' has some cool changes in it..that's it.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: July 21, 2016 03:06

novelty act is queen

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 21, 2016 04:09

"Madman" is an inspired, extraordinary album and one of my favs. "The Doors" is one of the great debut albums in RnR history. I am reminded that after Light My Fire broke I walked to Darby Park in the Morningside area of Inglewood, CA (near the Forum, more or less) to see this new band, The Doors. They set up in a small gym, played a half an hour, then broke down and moved on to another gig that night. A young new band doing the grind in the LA area. I do not remember much about the show, but I heard LMF and was happy. When the edited single of LMF was released, everyone thought it was a rip off. Everyone had already heard and loved the long version.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 21, 2016 04:41

Weather you like their music or not, Mercury and the other Queen members were/are highly talented musicians.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home