Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: OOOH-Out Of Our Heads:The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and Me
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 11, 2017 11:05

Mr. Schneider, question to you on the 1969 tour: some shows promoted by Bill Graham are rumored to be either video taped, or had a video screen on top of the stage, or were broadcasted on some internal video system in the hall.

Do you have any recollection of that?

Mathijs

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: December 25, 2017 20:00

Mathijs ()-If no one has seen the footage by now, I would doubt it. Chip and I would go through the venues looking for taping (mostly audio) devices and removed them.
PS: I'll pass the question to Chip

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 26, 2017 00:55

Sorry, I didn't read all these pages. So maybe its old stuff.

I remember having talked/read/ heard about taped 69 B.Graham shows.One or 2 were on old boots.
But all of it should have been bad quality.
Nothing to get excited about.

The Rolling Stones Never Hired the Hells Angels....
Date: February 15, 2018 03:14

Ethan Russell introduced me when I spoke live at The Battery San Francisco.
At the bottom of the video is a link to see the entire talk.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones Never Hired the Hells Angels....
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 15, 2018 23:39

Thanks for sharing Ronnie, watched the complete presentation and it is fantastic!

Please come to Boston and do the same talk!

[www.ronnieschneider.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 16, 2018 01:06

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up thanks..............

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 16, 2018 21:44

That was very interesting, Ronnie! Thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

Date: February 17, 2018 01:37

Have stories --Will travelspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Ethan Russell, after 50 years...introduces me ..
Date: February 21, 2018 19:15

At the Battery SF live event I was pleased and lucky to have Ethan Russell -photographer and friend introduce me with a rock n roll history lesson. We've known each other for half a century!
video: [youtu.be]
Back story on my cover photo... Ethan said he was coming down a flight of stairs as Circus Circus, Las Vegas and noticed me giving Keith money...took out his camera and took the shot -forgot about it..... many years later he was going thru his photos and noticed the pic... he sent it to me...smiling smiley

If you bought the Kindle version of Our of Our Heads
Date: February 28, 2018 17:36

I fixed the layout problem and updated the Kindle versions of my book to a reflowable layout instead of the fixed layout. This made a huge difference --now the text is resizable. (I had been told that due to the amount of images in my book I needed the fixed layout to make it look good--that was almost right).
I asked Amazon to push the new version to everyone but they replied:
Since book updates can make customers lose their highlights, bookmarks, and notes, we only send updates to fix serious issues like unreadable text or cut-off images.
Else, I recommend asking customers to reach out to Kindle to ask for an updated version of the book.
You may request the customer to contact Kindle Customer service to make sure the customer is viewing the most recent version of the content. If in case they are not, the Kindle team will be able to send the most updated version to the customer's device.
You can also share them the following message,
To contact us via phone:
[www.amazon.com]
To contact us via chat:
[www.amazon.com]
Customers can also contact our Kindle Customer service through the phone number listed below:
U.S. and Canada: 1-866-216-1072
International: 1-206-266-2992
We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

ron

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 8, 2018 01:41

Had question for you Ronnie. I have been reading the wealth of telegrams in your book from promoters asking for shows for the 1969 US tour and was wondering how you picked the venues and promoters you worked with. There were so many cities in play that never got shows how did you decide?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-08 01:42 by oldschool.

Date: March 11, 2018 03:54

We went with what William Morris-Leber --suggested, within reason.....they waned Sha Na Na to be on the tour..

Date: March 11, 2018 12:18

I had never posted in this thread, except for very early on, where I think my posts could have been misunderstood as complaining about price of book. Which would have been the last thing on my mind. I was not sure I was looking at the correct ad back at the time, and the price was the only way identifying the listing back then.
I want to thank Mr Schneider; I loved this book, which I FINALLY got to read.
The 69-70 tours are so interesting to me. They are the beginning of the heavy Rolling Stones. But still a very small band of gypsies, that comes off like a family from the stories told.
And to get an account from a real insider is priceless.

Date: March 11, 2018 19:57

Thank you Palace Revolution 2000 and you are welcome.
It is dedicated to the Fans...

PS:I would appreciate a review on Amazon, if you get the chance.

The Rolling Stones Never Hired the Hells Angels!
Date: March 31, 2018 20:16

I have been one voice (the only one that should count-since I had exclusive rights to the '69 tour) speaking out on the facts of Altamont--there are thousands reiterating fake facts. (and a few books that I have noticed--specifically Joel Selvins supposed true stories--that are made up when it come to me)
Bottom line... the west coast --radio, Grateful Dead, Rock Scully, Emmett Grogan, organized the show..
(the Stones were in Muscle Shoals until a day before the event).
Facts: the event was called a Free Concert (not a Rolling Stones free concert). The Promoter of the event--Young American Enterprises -John Jaymes.

The Hells Angels were at all the Grateful Dead events acting as security for the generators...we didn't hire the Hells Angels..

PS: and the Rolling Stones did not overcharge for tickets to the show...I've shown the pricing on another thread...

Re: The Rolling Stones Never Hired the Hells Angels!
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 31, 2018 20:19

bmuseed
I have been one voice (the only one that should count-since I had exclusive rights to the '69 tour) speaking out on the facts of Altamont--there are thousands reiterating fake facts. (and a few books that I have noticed--specifically Joel Selvins supposed true stories--that are made up when it come to me)
Bottom line... the west coast --radio, Grateful Dead, Rock Scully, Emmett Grogan, organized the show..
Facts: the event was called a Free Concert (not a Rolling Stones free concert). The Promoter of the event--Young American Enterprises -John Jaymes.

The Hells Angels were at all the Grateful Dead events acting as security for the generators...we didn't hire the Hells Angels..

PS: and the Rolling Stones did not overcharge for tickets to the show...I've shown the pricing on another thread...

Didn't the Stones management help set up the show?

What was the pricing?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 31, 2018 21:40

bmuseed

Thanks for the clarifications.
David Crosby recently (via twitter) made a point to emphasize that it was the Grateful Dead's manager (Rock Scully?) that was most responsible for the Angels being "hired" for the gig with loose guidelines on their responsibilities. Seems to jive with your take more or less. Thanks for the insights.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 31, 2018 22:25

bmuseed
I have been one voice (the only one that should count-since I had exclusive rights to the '69 tour)

Specifically, what rights are you referring to? Were you on stage during the Stones show?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 31, 2018 22:50

The Sicilian
bmuseed
I have been one voice (the only one that should count-since I had exclusive rights to the '69 tour)

Specifically, what rights are you referring to? Were you on stage during the Stones show?

[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 3, 2018 00:54

Good, that you said it again, Ron

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 3, 2018 16:47

bmuseed
quote]

Mr. Schneider: I just finished Selvin's book and enjoyed it. Can you give us an honest review of what is and isn't accurate in that book. One thing that caught my eye in your post is the reference to John Jaynes as the promoter, but didn't he just kind of weasel his way into that position with no paper to back it up??

I think all of us would love to hear your first hand opinions of Selvin's book and the tour/Altamont in general. What did he get right and what did he get wrong??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-03 18:03 by HalfNanker.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: April 3, 2018 17:46

Sam Cutler's great book lays out what happened pretty well.

Date: April 3, 2018 18:45

i see we've merged some threads here...
i recently read Selvin's book as well as Sam Cutler's; I guess i'll try and find Out of Our Heads to compete the trilogy!

Date: April 3, 2018 21:13

I'll start with the first thing Selvin said to me when I confronted him at his book signing at BookSoup in West Hollywood. He asked me, "Ronnie, when did you do the film deal?" I answered "A year after Altamont".. Selvin's book has Jagger huddling with Klein to consider making a movie of the tour--page 53.. forget that Klein was fired before the tour..forget that there was never talk of a film deal..(all the proof is in the Proof of Truth in my book). I was so pissed after reading what he had written--so much made up stuff. I found out he took (stole) his ideas from someone on this thread who wished to remain nameless...I told him he had to wait for my book to come out before I would go into the details of what happened.. I was the other guy in the room...while Joel wasn't ever at Altamont...
Now realize.. I got there a few days before the event... the Stones got there a couple of days later.. and who was there organizing the event--- the West Coast people who did all the Grateful Dead events-Rock, Emmett..yet the people who weren't there are blamed.. West coast covered its ass,,,,and the West coast press helped them....since one of their reporters (Ralph Gleason) lied us into this event...
RE: John Jaymes... he didn't need any paper (she tried to trademark-Altamont and get a piece of the album and film but failed).....Dick Carter wanted someone's name..anyone's name as the promoter

Sorry to rant on..

PS: I complained about Joel's book on IORR when it was released..
PPS: Selvin also states that the Angels placed Hunter's dead body on the stage...

HalfNanker
bmuseed
quote]
Mr. Schneider: I just finished Selvin's book and enjoyed it. Can you give us an honest review of what is and isn't accurate in that book. One thing that caught my eye in your post is the reference to John Jaynes as the promoter, but didn't he just kind of weasel his way into that position with no paper to back it up??

I think all of us would love to hear your first hand opinions of Selvin's book and the tour/Altamont in general. What did he get right and what did he get wrong??

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 3, 2018 22:44

'Klein was fired before the tour'.
The tour was Oct to December 1969.
Klein/ABKCO was officially terminated of his duties in August 1970, ie at the end of the 5 year contract.
But certainly the professional relationship was not good from around early 1968, as documented in Bill's Stone Alone. Not passing on royalty income, having to ask for funds to pay office and housekeeping bills is not a policy which leads to much loyalty from your clients. Plus the business of unpaid corporation and personal tax.
Strange guy.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 4, 2018 00:02

[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 4, 2018 00:27

bmuseed
I'll start with the first thing Selvin said to me when I confronted him at his book signing at BookSoup in West Hollywood. He asked me, "Ronnie, when did you do the film deal?" I answered "A year after Altamont".. Selvin's book has Jagger huddling with Klein to consider making a movie of the tour--page 53.. forget that Klein was fired before the tour..forget that there was never talk of a film deal..(all the proof is in the Proof of Truth in my book). I was so pissed after reading what he had written--so much made up stuff. I found out he took (stole) his ideas from someone on this thread who wished to remain nameless...I told him he had to wait for my book to come out before I would go into the details of what happened.. I was the other guy in the room...while Joel wasn't ever at Altamont...
Now realize.. I got there a few days before the event... the Stones got there a couple of days later.. and who was there organizing the event--- the West Coast people who did all the Grateful Dead events-Rock, Emmett..yet the people who weren't there are blamed.. West coast covered its ass,,,,and the West coast press helped them....since one of their reporters (Ralph Gleason) lied us into this event...
RE: John Jaymes... he didn't need any paper (she tried to trademark-Altamont and get a piece of the album and film but failed).....Dick Carter wanted someone's name..anyone's name as the promoter

Sorry to rant on..

PPS: Selvin also states that the Angels placed Hunter's dead body on the stage...

HalfNanker
bmuseed
quote]

very disappointing; i enjoyed his book and thought it was an honest account. I was surprised when he mentioned that Hunter was placed on the stage...i never recall hearing or seeing that before and that seems like a fact that would be hard to miss!!

thanks for your input; ill be grabbing copy of your book shortly to get you whole point of view!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 4, 2018 05:34

I don't think I understand how management rep could be there in advance,
during all those negotiations. And try to pull off and promote something
commensurate with an actual professional stage production that was designed
and planned months ahead of the event; and the location wasn't a panic last
minute surprise either and etc...
I mean Bill Graham called it as far as Chip Monck being brought in; knowing,,,,
well i won't repeat myself....someone dropped the ball bigtime and this kid is still being scape-goated for book sales, there's been a hundred probably, and also
the marketing and editing of the film was cynical and dark on purpose.
and the tour was not about that at all. it was a triumph.

There was obviously going to be a film,
as there were film-makers with lots of photographers with many cameras and angles.
and some super duper wonderful stuff in that GS movie I'm so glad to have!!
somebody got a random idea a year later? hey, as long as we made a film let's make a film?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 4, 2018 07:33

bmuseed

Sorry to rant on..

HalfNanker
bmuseed
quote]

gosh ron i didn't know that joel selvin was such a liar and went out of his way to knowingly deceive.
And Gleason "lied" too? and "tricked you into it"
Firstly, Maybe your publisher should sue Harper Collins about Joel?

Also, about Ralph being a trickster and liar, wow all these people were so into screwing everyone else I guess....but you were there two days prior as you say, was he tricking you for both those days, or let's say over that entire time period you were representing the band's interest for your Uncle. At least that's as much as I can understand this far. That's a lot of charges tho.
I always liked Selvin's writing; but I'm not vouching for stuff I'm not sure about.
Here's an interesting review; a sort of more neutral looksee; I didn't 'cherrypick' it or even finish reading it. There are dozens of reviews.
I think the book did pretty well, not sure.

[www.sfgate.com]

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: April 4, 2018 19:59

Hi Ronnie,

I downloaded (Amazon) your book and enjoyed it greatly. Great job and thank you for doing it! I just have a couple of observations/questions.

1) It sounded like Mick had a pretty good feel for the business side of life starting in 1969.

2) In your opinion would "Gimme Shelter" have been a much bigger movie with proper distribution at the time? I know it is a classic today.

3) Why is your uncle so disparaged? You seem to paint a picture of a firm but fair to the artists person?

4) I love Herman's Hermits (they are vastly under appreciated). Did you like working with them?

5) I read an odd Stones book back in like 1976 when I was starting high school. This book actual made John Jaymes a central figure in the story of the 69 Tour. It never made any sense, until your book cleared it up a bit.

Again, thank you!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home