Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: Huffington Post - "Rolling Stones Insider Shares Memories and Rare Artifacts in New Book"
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 19, 2017 02:09

with sssoul
Interesting link — can you fix the misspelling of Gered (not "Gerard" ) Mankowitz's name? Please and thank you kindly

done - sorry about that - thank you for the catch - i'd given them the proper spelling and somewhere it got changed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-19 02:10 by hbwriter.

Re: Huffington Post - "Rolling Stones Insider Shares Memories and Rare Artifacts in New Book"
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 19, 2017 05:37

Thanks for posting. The interview was great!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 19, 2017 06:18

This book: [iorr.org] ?

Date: February 19, 2017 08:22

yup!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 19, 2017 09:08

Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 19, 2017 10:53

Interesting interview, and I don't remember seeing any of the photos before, either. Thanks!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 19, 2017 10:58

I wonder if Mick will read the book?

Date: February 19, 2017 11:05

I am getting this book. I have been looking forward to it since Ronnie Schneider announced it.
The cover shot has got to be one of the smoothest pics of Stones. It looks like a staged movie poster.
Also love that funny shot of Ringo with that cigarette holder.
And it is remarkable that it seems understood that in that little plane Mick & Keith get the best two seats. Everyone else is squeezed on the bench. LOL It's good to be the king.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: February 19, 2017 11:32

Sub title: "With Proof of Truth" lol

Posted by: PSG ()
Date: February 19, 2017 13:31

I believe I saw that checkered jacket Jagger is wearing at Exhibitionism yesterday.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: February 19, 2017 15:57

hbwriter
Piece I just wrote on Ronnie Schneider and his cool new book...

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Looks like a great book. But it better have lots of new photographs/not seen before photographs to be worth the $69 I see on Amazon.

Hope I get to read it.

Date: February 19, 2017 18:08

triceratops
hbwriter

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Looks like a great book. But it better have lots of new photographs/not seen before photographs to be worth the $69 I see on Amazon.

Hope I get to read it.

lots of things you've not seen I'm guessing- especially the interesting paper work which includes cool things like production schedules, tour sheets, etc

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: February 19, 2017 20:17

I put up a sample of what's included...Out of Our Heads the book

triceratops
hbwriter

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Hope I get to read it.

Re: OOOH-Out Of Our Heads:The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and Me
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 19, 2017 21:19

looks fantastic Ron! thanks for all your hard work sharing your story and archive with us fans. so I ordered the book but Amazon has not shipped yet. Do they have the copies to ship at this point?

Huffington Post - "Rolling Stones Insider Shares Memories and Rare Artifacts in New Book"
Date: February 21, 2017 17:09

Amazon has copies and I can't wait for the fans to see..

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:12

I ordered mine and looking forward Your book

Re: Out of Our Heads- Ron Schneider's book
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 21, 2017 17:24

DeanGoodman
CousinC
Sounds very ehh . . boring . .

Stones & money go together like love & marriage, horse & carriage. "You can't have one without the other."

(h/t Al and Peggy Bundy)

Yeah, after more than 50 years with the Stones nobody has to tell me.
I was joking . .

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 21, 2017 19:30

Thanx for the Huffington piece,looking forward to this read....

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 21, 2017 19:31

Ordered!
Crossing fingers for speedy delivery smiling smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 22, 2017 17:19

triceratops
hbwriter

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

The book contains lots of content we've not read before, nor seen before. Some are photos; many are archival documents and other artifacts. Half the book is Ron's stories, memories, and anecdotes. The other half is called "Proof of Truth" -- i.e., Appendices; this latter part is sort of like a scrapbook.

This is a book that will be cited often, starting pretty immediately and extending into the future for a very long time as original "primary source" material by those documenting the Stones. It will also be useful and oteworthy to those looking at the bands, events, people, culture of the times (particularly the 1969 Stones tour time period, but also the 1965 and 1966 Stones tours--as well as some interesting glimpses into Japanese Spaghetti Western filmmaking).

Additionally, there are some very fine never-heard Beatles stories and insights into the band at a time when they were transitioning management and their organization from Brian Epstein to Allen Klein, by way of Eastman.

Ron has a perspective of the Stones that hasn't been documented yet. His take on Altamont and Gimme Shelter are distinctly his, and keen readers will find the many details fascinating.

As some of you know, I'm a Stones and musical/cultural history geek. I would any day relish the opportunity to listen to or read material that has not been heard before, over a highly polished slick product. I am one of those Stones' fans who could listen to or watch a video of the Stones tinkering in the studio in 1968 for 4 hours straight, playing the "same thing" over an over. I don't need a lot of analysis. I want the raw real thing straight-up. In this vein, the beauty of this book is in details--not flourishes of poetic prose, not insights into recording techniques, not speculating about the interior lives of the band members, not blow by blow stories of what happened and didn't happen at gigs, not a critical analysis of the role of the Stones in the '60s or of the 1960s.

This is Ron's book about a period of his life. Not an overabundance of narrative or overarching storytelling technique. Just what was going on, from Ron's perspective, at different junctures. Narrative snapshots---first here, then here, then over here. Chronological, cogent, at times amusing, often quite engaging. For Stones' fans who are interested in not only what happened but how it came to be that some of these things happened--like how did they end up in that ricketty plane? more details about why they ended up in Vegas? what went down in Belli's office? details on the European tour--this content is gold.

The writing style tends toward practical and to the point. Ron doesn't spend much time revisiting other books, sources, people's narratives, or telling the "whole" story of, say, a particular concert (although the section of Altamont is quite detailed). His perspective and memories are a great addition to the "literature" of the Stones, in the course of recounting the trajectory of Ron's own professional (and some aspects of his personal) life during 1965, 1966, and 1969-70, and '71. His own story, featuring the Stones, Beatles, and others. Hence, as said, this is pure, original content, could not have come from anyone else--reflecting a unique vantage point excelling in filling in details from a business and legal perspective.

I haven't dove into "Proof of Truth" yet, but anticipating hours and hours of geeky researchy fun. Yes, I'm a librarian and archivist, but I believe it's the Stones fan in me saying that smiling smiley

triceratops
it better have lots of new photographs/not seen before photographs to be worth the $69 I see on Amazon.

Well, how much do we spend on Stones tickets, memorabilia, a dinner out, a few lunches...? It's all relative, and this will last longer than 10 Starbucks specialty drinks tongue sticking out smiley

-swiss

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-22 17:36 by swiss.

Date: February 23, 2017 02:49

The best feeling is when someone Gets It...smiling smiley thank you, Swiss

swiss
triceratops
hbwriter

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

The book contains lots of content we've not read before, nor seen before. Some are photos; many are archival documents and other artifacts. Half the book is Ron's stories, memories, and anecdotes. The other half is called "Proof of Truth" -- i.e., Appendices; this latter part is sort of like a scrapbook.

This is a book that will be cited often, starting pretty immediately and extending into the future for a very long time as original "primary source" material by those documenting the Stones. It will also be useful and oteworthy to those looking at the bands, events, people, culture of the times (particularly the 1969 Stones tour time period, but also the 1965 and 1966 Stones tours--as well as some interesting glimpses into Japanese Spaghetti Western filmmaking).

Additionally, there are some very fine never-heard Beatles stories and insights into the band at a time when they were transitioning management and their organization from Brian Epstein to Allen Klein, by way of Eastman.

Ron has a perspective of the Stones that hasn't been documented yet. His take on Altamont and Gimme Shelter are distinctly his, and keen readers will find the many details fascinating.

As some of you know, I'm a Stones and musical/cultural history geek. I would any day relish the opportunity to listen to or read material that has not been heard before, over a highly polished slick product. I am one of those Stones' fans who could listen to or watch a video of the Stones tinkering in the studio in 1968 for 4 hours straight, playing the "same thing" over an over. I don't need a lot of analysis. I want the raw real thing straight-up. In this vein, the beauty of this book is in details--not flourishes of poetic prose, not insights into recording techniques, not speculating about the interior lives of the band members, not blow by blow stories of what happened and didn't happen at gigs, not a critical analysis of the role of the Stones in the '60s or of the 1960s.

This is Ron's book about a period of his life. Not an overabundance of narrative or overarching storytelling technique. Just what was going on, from Ron's perspective, at different junctures. Narrative snapshots---first here, then here, then over here. Chronological, cogent, at times amusing, often quite engaging. For Stones' fans who are interested in not only what happened but how it came to be that some of these things happened--like how did they end up in that ricketty plane? more details about why they ended up in Vegas? what went down in Belli's office? details on the European tour--this content is gold.

The writing style tends toward practical and to the point. Ron doesn't spend much time revisiting other books, sources, people's narratives, or telling the "whole" story of, say, a particular concert (although the section of Altamont is quite detailed). His perspective and memories are a great addition to the "literature" of the Stones, in the course of recounting the trajectory of Ron's own professional (and some aspects of his personal) life during 1965, 1966, and 1969-70, and '71. His own story, featuring the Stones, Beatles, and others. Hence, as said, this is pure, original content, could not have come from anyone else--reflecting a unique vantage point excelling in filling in details from a business and legal perspective.

I haven't dove into "Proof of Truth" yet, but anticipating hours and hours of geeky researchy fun. Yes, I'm a librarian and archivist, but I believe it's the Stones fan in me saying that smiling smiley

triceratops
it better have lots of new photographs/not seen before photographs to be worth the $69 I see on Amazon.

Well, how much do we spend on Stones tickets, memorabilia, a dinner out, a few lunches...? It's all relative, and this will last longer than 10 Starbucks specialty drinks tongue sticking out smiley

-swiss

Date: February 23, 2017 08:57

Congrats, Ron! Looking forward to this one.

A question: Why is Mick Taylor named as a temp? He was a full member surely?

Date: February 23, 2017 19:35

We were starting the tour soon after the death of Brian and it wasn't known if Mick Taylor would mesh for the long run. Jagger told me to consider him a temporary hire for the tour. It was a test run..

DandelionPowderman

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 23, 2017 20:23

swiss
triceratops
hbwriter

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

triceratops

-swiss
Thanks for all this, swiss.
Prompted me to order.. looking forward.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 24, 2017 10:16

Glad you found it helpful, MisterDDDD!

- swiss

Date: February 24, 2017 12:36

bmuseed
We were starting the tour soon after the death of Brian and it wasn't known if Mick Taylor would mesh for the long run. Jagger told me to consider him a temporary hire for the tour. It was a test run..

DandelionPowderman

Thanks.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 24, 2017 18:10

So I ordered the book on the 18th and Amazon has postponed my shipping date until Feb 27th. Hopefully this means the book is selling well and they just need more stock. The suspense is killing me.hot smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 24, 2017 19:17

oldschool
So I ordered the book on the 18th and Amazon has postponed my shipping date until Feb 27th. Hopefully this means the book is selling well and they just need more stock. The suspense is killing me.hot smiley

Amazon UK has been saying "Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available." since it first appeared on their site a few weeks ago and saying it would be released on February 14.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 24, 2017 19:39

Deltics
oldschool

Amazon UK has been saying "Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available." since it first appeared on their site a few weeks ago and saying it would be released on February 14.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Same here, Deltics. I pre-ordered and it never shipped so I actually canceled my order because I thought there was some glitch which occasionally happens with Amazon. Figured I'd wait but after reading the review by swiss (thank you!) I re-ordered and now they tell me "Arriving Wednesday March 1st." Still looking forward to it, whenever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-24 19:40 by bleedingman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 25, 2017 01:32

Is the main focus and content of the book the 1969 tour?

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1372
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home