Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ot Dolly Parton
Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 12, 2016 02:39

She is going back out on tour [dollyparton.com] She is old school country, kind of a legend (I guess)

I have never seen her, but ya cant dislike, no matter how much I hate country music.

I was am still happy I got to see Johnny Cash back in the day and I may have to go see Dolly.

This looks like a big time real tour, but I dont know...

Has anyone ever gone to see her in concert?
What did/do you think? Would you go again?

Does pondering this disqualify me (even more (some say) than my other tastes in music) as a "real" Rolling Stones "fan?

Setlist from recent dates

Intro: Hello Dolly
Train, Train
Why'd You Come in Here Lookin' Like That
Jolene
Pure & Simple
Precious Memories
My Tennessee Mountain Home
Coat of Many Colors
Smoky Mountain Memories
Applejack
Rocky Top/Yakety Sax
Banks of the Ohio
American Pie / If I Had a Hammer / Blowin' in the Wind / Dust in the Wind / The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
The Seeker
I'll Fly Away

2nd set
Baby, I'm Burning
Outside Your Door
The Grass Is Blue
Those Memories of You
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind
Little Sparrow
Two Doors Down
Here You Come Again
Islands in the Stream
9 to 5

Encore:
I Will Always Love You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-12 02:40 by jambay.

Re: ot Dolly Parton
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 12, 2016 02:45

It is a big OT, yes truthfully.
I only like 1 Dolly P song 'Here You Come Again' (I confess)
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 12, 2016 02:58

She's a major songwriting talent, as well as a great singer--I'm planning on hitting this tour.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 12, 2016 03:03

We watch the video of her at Glastonbury a couple of years ago fairly often, she puts on a great show and has a top notch band...I'd go see her if she ever came to central Florida again!

Date: July 12, 2016 03:17

Aquamarine
She's a major songwriting talent, as well as a great singer--I'm planning on hitting this tour.
thumbs up
Mr.D
We watch the video of her at Glastonbury a couple of years ago fairly often, she puts on a great show and has a top notch band...I'd go see her if she ever came to central Florida again!
thumbs up

Thank you both!

I just watched some more live videos (Bless the good people who record and post videos for us)
And she seems like what I think she is... the real deal, life long entertaining professional.

Reading some more, the buzz is this will be her first MAJOR tour in 25 years. And looking at her 60 tour dates, she is not messing around, there are many back to back dates in different cities. I hope she is not being too optimistic. Not many major touring acts hit the road that hard these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-12 03:18 by jambay.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 12, 2016 03:24

If respecting a deep songwriter and musician and outright historic talent gets you disqualified from being considered a Stones fan here, sign me right up and out.
I'll be behind Keith and Mick in the line tho.
She started writing hits in '64, teamed up with Porter Wagoner in '67 and went solo afterward.

Elvis wanted "I Will Always Love You" but Dolly wouldn't give the publishing to the Colonel and made ten fortunes out of just that one song, one in very many.
She believed in herself and wouldn't budge on the biggest temptation in the business, giving a song to The King but not getting proper credit or publishing right. She's tough, smart and authentic.
She's walking history and her players are the best. Her heart is giving and pure; I believe it's more than hype from personal experience.
You'd be lucky to go I think. She's an international treasure, and as sharp a businesswoman as Commander is a businessman.
She started a chain of Dollywood Theme Parks.
You know it's only time before Mick gets this idea haawwwww
Exhibition on tour but no ferris wheels just yet.
btw, it's some of the best and most pure American music you could ever hope to hear. just an opinion. She is cherished by millions and respected by everybody.
I got on to her early, as her songs were great, long before the movies and that stuff. She put out over 20 albums from 67 through 80. She is proliferate and perfect.

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-12 03:35 by hopkins.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 12, 2016 03:35

jambay, I am going to see Loretta Lyn in November and would love to catch a Dolly Parton show. I'm sorry I missed her when she was in my area last month.

For sure, go!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 12, 2016 03:50

Dolly's the greatest! Better than Keith!

Date: July 12, 2016 03:58

hopkins
If respecting a deep songwriter and musician and outright historic talent gets you disqualified from being considered a Stones fan here, sign me right up and out.
She started writing hits in '64, teamed up with Porter Wagoner in '67 and went solo afterward.

Elvis wanted "I Will Always Love You" but Dolly wouldn't give the publishing to the Colonel and made ten fortunes out of just that one song, one in very many.
She believed in herself and wouldn't budge on the biggest temptation in the business, giving a song to The King but not getting proper credit or publishing right. She's tough, smart and authentic.
She's walking history and her players are the best. Her heart is giving and pure; I believe it's more than hype from personal experience.
You'd be lucky to go I think. She's an international treasure, and as sharp a businesswoman as Commander is a businessman.
btw, it's some of the best and most pure American music you could ever hope to hear. just an opinion. She is cherished by millions and respected by everybody.
I got on to her early, as her songs were great, long before the movies and that stuff. She put out over 20 albums from 67 through 80. She is proliferate and perfect.

[www.google.com]

Right on!! thumbs up
She does has quite the resume, which I guess I always kind of knew, but I didn't know that story about Elvis and the colonel , Good for Dolly! I have known of her forever and when I have seen her on talk shows I watched and she seems like the sweetest kindest lady ever.

one of the most awwwwwww pictures ever, 2 cutey pie smiles smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-12 04:10 by jambay.

Date: July 12, 2016 04:04

latebloomer
jambay, I am going to see Loretta Lyn in November and would love to catch a Dolly Parton show. I'm sorry I missed her when she was in my area last month.

For sure, go!

Thanks! I think I am in. My gut instinct tapped me on the shoulder for this,
and I was kind of surprised it did... but I pay attention when it does.
That is exactly how/why I saw Johnny Cash when I did. It wasnt natural for me, But I was glad I went.

Maybe (I hope) Dolly will swing back to your part of the world on this massive tour and/or if it goes well she will keep going can come back. Here she comes again.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 12, 2016 14:26

I have also seen Johnny aka The Man in Black Cash, awesome show ,if i had a chance to see and hear Ms.Parton live i would go in a heartbeat .You have good taste Jambay!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 12, 2016 14:48

Love that picture of Mick & Dolly.

I guess Mick still laments Dolly as the one that got away.

jambay
hopkins

[www.google.com]

Right on!! thumbs up
She does has quite the resume, which I guess I always kind of knew, but I didn't know that story about Elvis and the colonel , Good for Dolly! I have known of her forever and when I have seen her on talk shows I watched and she seems like the sweetest kindest lady ever.

one of the most awwwwwww pictures ever, 2 cutey pie smiles smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 12, 2016 15:32

hopkins

Wow - never knew she wrote that song thumbs up

Date: July 12, 2016 16:04

[www.youtube.com]

a live version from '74.
Reportedly firswt written for Porter when their music and and friendship tanked.
A thing of true grace.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 12, 2016 16:54

she's great. Jolene is a great song

amazing smart tough woman, has she guested on a tune with the Stones..?

...wonder if she's been asked..?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-12 16:57 by duke richardson.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 12, 2016 17:09

Isn't she all tattoo'd up?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 12, 2016 17:11

MingSubu

don't know about that...

I doubt it..

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 12, 2016 17:48

I saw her in 1977 at the Bottom Line in NYC promoting her recent release "Here you come again"

She's a real hoot.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 12, 2016 18:42

jambay

Does pondering this disqualify me (even more (some say) than my other tastes in music) as a "real" Rolling Stones "fan?

As long as Emmylou Harris isn't playing the same city that night, a real Rolling Stones fan shouldn't think twice about attending Dolly's show. Go for it.

(Btw, if you're feeling unsure of yourself I can fax you a list of bands/artists that a real Stones fan needn't be ashamed of admiring. It's a long list actually but sadly for you GNR ain't on it.)

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 12, 2016 20:09

Such a great voice!!!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 12, 2016 20:22

Prefer Dolly's 9 To 5 than Jagger's Let's Work....hot smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 12, 2016 20:38

duke richardson
MingSubu

don't know about that...

I doubt it..

I'm pretty sure the answer to that question is "no"...

However, when the question of plastic surgery comes up she has been pretty unashamed to admit that she's had work done in the past. One answer I heard her use (years ago and I can't remember where) was along the lines of, "if it can be nipped and tucked, I've had it nipped and tucked. Who cares?"

I read an article one time where she was asked about "how long it takes to do her hair"... Her reply was to the effect of: "I have no idea... I'm never there!" She's apparently worn wigs for years.

The following from her Wikipedia page are familiar to me as well:
- On a 2003 episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show, Winfrey asked what kind of cosmetic surgery Parton had undergone. Parton replied that cosmetic surgery was imperative in keeping with her famous image.

- Parton has repeatedly joked about her physical image and surgeries, saying, "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap."[

- When asked about future plastic surgeries, she famously said: "If I see something sagging, bagging or dragging, I'll get it nipped, tucked or sucked."

Don't get too caught up in her appearance though... As a musician & writer, she's the real deal. Also, as a person, she'd be a great role model for anyone to follow. One marriage (50 years earlier this year), LOTS AND LOTS of charity work, seemingly an honest business woman.

I got to meet her once (very briefly) when I was working as a staff musician at her theme park here in E. TN. I can only say that she seemed like a very nice lady and I was impressed that, even though I was nothing more than seasonal help on her park, she was totally focused on me for that brief encounter as opposed to giving off an air that she needed to be elsewhere with someone else.

Two thumbs up from this Stones fan for Dolly Parton.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 12, 2016 20:54

TheGreek
I have also seen Johnny aka The Man in Black Cash, awesome show ,if I had a chance to see and hear Ms.Parton live I would go in a heartbeat. You have good taste Jambay!
Right on The Greek smileys with beer and right back at you on your good tastes smiling smiley

I am planning on seeing Miss Parton on this tour, hopefully early on. I wish her all the best!!

Date: July 12, 2016 21:00

Jolene

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-12 22:53 by jambay.

Date: July 12, 2016 21:01

reg thorpe
I saw her in 1977 at the Bottom Line in NYC promoting her recent release "Here you come again"

She's a real hoot.

Now THAT is cool show to have been at!!!

Date: March 22, 2017 09:49

Dolly Parton on turning down Elvis, surviving showbiz and her legacy
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 22, 2017 10:48

[www.vanityfair.com]

Very talented lady, hope she swings thru pittsburgh.

Date: March 22, 2017 11:13

why would some be ashamed to see a living legend and say it might exclude them from being a true stones fan?

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: March 22, 2017 18:45

As opposed to many country singers, she has written some of her own songs, "Coat of Many Colors" is one, and that's an acknowledged country classic as well as "Jolene". She can play a variety of instruments so she really is talented. Up to 12 instruments I see one article on the web saying. She apparently did write "I will always love you". Remarkable.

Yes, most of her fare, I might not really care for but it looks like she's earned it. Ran into her at the Nashville airport, lovely gracious lady.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home