Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is Jagger's coolness a forced trademark?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 11, 2016 15:33

Mick is holding the fort. Under the "business image" he is a normal person just like you and me, with the same emotions and feelings and the same need for appreciation. You don't need to be an expert on psychology to understand it is complex. Just read a little bit of Maslow theory...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 11, 2016 15:36

50+ years, the guy is amazing!!

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: July 11, 2016 16:07

I think Mick is a genius, a totally underrated business man who's done an incredible job of running The Rolling Stones (and thereby making a generally unappreciated to Mick Jagger, Keith Richards countless millions). I think Mick is also highly underrated and underappreciated in his genius songwriting. But the annoying thing is Mick doesn't help with this with his aloofness. His schtick about what album is this from. A general not caring attitude projected when in fact I'm sure he cares so deeply and so competitive. It would come off more attractive if he projected more care in his knowledge of the Stones. Like a Springsteen who projects unbelievable care and knowlegde in his body of work, thereby adding to the passion of his fans. MOST Stones fans are more casual, hence the Stones playing the same classics over and over to appease most of there casual fans.....

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 11, 2016 21:46

kammpberg
I think Mick is a genius, a totally underrated business man who's done an incredible job of running The Rolling Stones (and thereby making a generally unappreciated to Mick Jagger, Keith Richards countless millions). I think Mick is also highly underrated and underappreciated in his genius songwriting. But the annoying thing is Mick doesn't help with this with his aloofness. His schtick about what album is this from. A general not caring attitude projected when in fact I'm sure he cares so deeply and so competitive. It would come off more attractive if he projected more care in his knowledge of the Stones. Like a Springsteen who projects unbelievable care and knowlegde in his body of work, thereby adding to the passion of his fans. MOST Stones fans are more casual, hence the Stones playing the same classics over and over to appease most of there casual fans.....

I think he cares more than he claims. The music and the best of his lyrics, are too rich, specific. But I think that affected aloofness is how he guards himself. And its also part of his 'cool' in a way. Do we really want Mick or Keith to be as 'serious' and 'sincere' as a Springsteen? I don't. I love Springsteen, but the Stones' persona of not giving a f** is part of their charm.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 11, 2016 22:16

colonial
Mick Jagger is the archetype of cool...smoking smiley

I like this word and its meaning..Archetype:The original pattern or model of which all things of the same type are representations or copies

The Rolling Stones are the archetype of cool...smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2016 22:52

You're quoting yourself now, Colonial? So, coolness didn't exist before 1964?
This timeline contradicts that statement however:

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 11, 2016 23:03

Plantations with slaves were cool? confused smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 11, 2016 23:15

Not caring about their catalogue, how cool is that? However, few things are as funny as reading old books describing what was cool back then. In the 60s, having a toothpick dangling between your teeth was supposed to be cool.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 12, 2016 22:33

buttons67
its easy to be cool when you have loads of money.
if all stones members became potless and had to do a real job for a living they would lose all cool very quickly.
Do you think Mick has ever changed a flat tire or changed the oil & filter on an automobile? I doubt it.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: July 12, 2016 23:19

Has Keith changed a flat tire triceratops?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 12, 2016 23:27

When I had to change a tire
I’m glad I wore my western boots

............................ No Spare Parts - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Date: July 12, 2016 23:30

---

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 13, 2016 00:28

kammpberg

I doubt Jagger is underrated in any way. He's helped shape the concert, er, touring industry. Pivotal, in other words. He's had a lot of help but he's also been the arrow slicing through the air to make sure it happened.

And the songs he's had a hand in creating and a total hand in creating regarding The Rolling Stones are not underrated. Everyone knows Jumpin' Jack Flash, Sympathy For The Devil, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar and Tumbling Dice - just to name a few.

He's beyond well respected.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2016 01:04

Sure I can change a flat tire but I must admit I let the mechanics do the oil and filter changes...

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 13, 2016 01:36

...had to do a real job for a living they would lose all cool very quickly.

I dont think this is true, I think cool is cool... no matter.

One tip-
If you are going to change the oil in your car on your own...
try to avoid emptying all of the transmission fluid and then adding 5 quarts of oil.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 13, 2016 01:42

try to avoid emptying all of the transmission fluid and then adding 5 quarts of oil.

HEY YEAH I know a guy who did that .... Dropped the tranny oil then doubled up on the donk oil ... Seals weren't happy ... hhhhaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: July 13, 2016 04:47

Rockman

HEY YEAH I know a guy who did that .... Dropped the tranny oil then doubled up on the donk oil ... Seals weren't happy ... hhhhaaaaaaaaaa

those seals were so blown... and smoke everywhere... I heard grinning smiley

double the oil will blow it every time...

and the repair costs could have paid for 20-30 oil changes done by an expert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-13 04:51 by jambay.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 13, 2016 05:16

From what I've read, he wasn't too 'cool' when he went to jail after the Redlands bust, whereas Keith kept his composure, again according to the legend.
Generally, cool to me is someone is who comfortable with himself at all times and doesn't get rattled. I think Mick is way too calculated to be cool in that sense.
And he did some things in the 80s like the Bowie Dancing in the Street video that was not cool at all.

Date: July 13, 2016 05:28

Mick Jagger is cooler than cool...smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: July 13, 2016 05:44

I think he is cool under pressure way more than the average Joe. When cops came in the early days and could've busted them rehearsing with the smell of drugs in the air, instead of freaking out, Mick got the cops to play on their record. At Altamont, when things were getting out of hand, he told the crowd, "Be cool. Be cool." He doesn't really get that nervous before major shows. He definitely has THAT kind of "cool" factor. He can handle a lot of pressure without flipping out. When people might go into "fight or flight" instinct, he seems to just hang loose.

Date: July 13, 2016 06:05

Straycat13
I think he is cool under pressure way more than the average Joe. When cops came in the early days and could've busted them rehearsing with the smell of drugs in the air, instead of freaking out, Mick got the cops to play on their record. At Altamont, when things were getting out of hand, he told the crowd, "Be cool. Be cool." He doesn't really get that nervous before major shows. He definitely has THAT kind of "cool" factor. He can handle a lot of pressure without flipping out. When people might go into "fight or flight" instinct, he seems to just hang loose.

thumbs up That Altamont situation could have gotten really really out of control had Mick not been up there soothing the beast. I twas a tinderbox heating up all day and ... who knows... but as it was... it was bad, a guy died, and some people got beaten up, but it seems like it could have been much worse without the "Brothers and Sisters come on now"... Mick did very very good.

Mick is more Fonzi than Fonzi...
freekin jukeboxes start playing when Mick simply walks in... no knock needed.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: July 13, 2016 06:43

He IS like Fonzi, jambay. I've thought of that before, too. And, did you also see Henry Winkler, who played him? He was quite nerdy, as is Mick! Mick has that fonz thing going on, but underneath he's really a nerd!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 13, 2016 14:03

The question is 'which Mick Jagger are we discussing here?' Is it:
1. The public Mick, the performer, the PR man, the musician, the celebrity (est 10% of his time)
2. The private Mick, with family, close friends, off stage (90%)

...or of course any of the 'other faces of Mick Jagger' which Keith has sometimes referred to.

No 1 is The Act (Keith plays out a role of course); No 2 is very difficult to assess. Most bios fail in this regard.

Date: July 13, 2016 14:17

According to Keith he's a nice bunch of guys.

Date: July 14, 2016 23:25

Coolness is in the eye of the beholder..smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home