Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 67
Re: Mick Jagger solo works
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 26, 2016 23:11

When Mick Jagger released "Goddess in the doorway" he did a short live show in L.A.
Anybody knows where to find the video of that short concert?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 20, 2017 23:11

The Very Best of Mick Jagger has a lot of good tracks. Not usually a fan of his solo work per se but for me it's hard to argue with this compilation; it seems to cull most of the best tracks from all of it. Having an Evening Gown and a Memo from Turner is icing on the cake but there's a lot of good tracks here I must admit. Good work; good job. yes i would rather have seen The Stones working together on all this and other good material but for what it is and what has been recorded and given there are a hell of a lot of really good tracks on this compilation imo. Absolutely something to be proud of not ashamed of imo, and I can't say for the individual solo LPs per se...

Date: March 20, 2017 23:58

rollmops
When Mick Jagger released "Goddess in the doorway" he did a short live show in L.A.
Anybody knows where to find the video of that short concert?
Rockandroll,
Mops

A clip from after the show..

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 11:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 21, 2017 00:01

Yeah, this is allegedly from the El Rey-performance..

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 11:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 21, 2017 00:02

Nice harp solo by Mick here.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 11:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 21, 2017 07:33

slew
With the exception of Wandering Spirit and a couple of nuggets here and there Mick's solo output has been a big disappointment to my ears.

thumbs up

Posted by: skorpio65 ()
Date: March 21, 2017 18:46

I have a dvd for sale on my ebay:

[www.ebay.it]

Date: March 21, 2017 20:27

When I ponder it I think GITD is actually better than 'wandering Spirit'. WS has the highs, which are very, very good. But there are a few very generic rockers, then there are covers like 'Been Lonely" and 'Think' that are decent, but really - why? And I don't know what to say about 'Molly'.
'Goddess' IMO is a lot more consistently strong.

The first two solo albums are just wrong. There might be passages that are alright, but there is something so annoying about...well everything. The sound of guitars, the synths, drums with reverb on reverb, and the best bass players money can buy. I think it is on those albums that Jagger perfected the 'Jaggerian Bridge in E flat"; a most useless musical and lyrical mode. Often revolving around "my cards on the table".

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 21, 2017 21:06

Nah, I agree completely with Keith's "dogshit in the doorway" assessment.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 21, 2017 21:27

GITD isn´t so bad... it´s even worse.

Tracks I can listen to without getting too angry are:

-God Gave Me Everything
-Hideaway
-Lucky Day

For the rest of the album, Keith is right... it´s an awful album...

Date: March 21, 2017 21:30

I have a weak spot for Visions Of Paradise, Dancing In The Starlight and Don't Call Me Up. All good pop songs, imo.

Date: March 21, 2017 21:55

Damn, I thought I was going to pioneer a new trend here.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 22, 2017 13:50

Another correction: "Nothing But the Wheel" is a Peter Wolf track, not John Phillips

Date: March 22, 2017 14:19

DandelionPowderman
I have a weak spot for Visions Of Paradise, Dancing In The Starlight and Don't Call Me Up. All good pop songs, imo.

Perhaps, but good pop songs aren't necessarily good songs. Visions of P is decent but I could do without the other 2.

If I were to cut this down to a respectable EP, it would be:

Visions of Paradise
God Gave Me Everything
Everybody Getting High
Gun
Brand New Set of Rules

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 22, 2017 16:13

At the end of the day everyone will have posted his favorite GITD-tracks and every single song of the album will be mentioned... what do we learn from that - GITD is a great albumsmiling bouncing smiley

...No, it isn´t of course. Using the words of the honorable GLS, it´s a steaming pile of polished turd.cool smiley

(Dancing In The Starlight isn´t too bad either)smiling smiley

01. Visions of Paradise --- 1/10
02. Joy --- 0/10
03. Dancing in the Starlight --- 3/10
04. God Gave Me Everything --- 9/10
05. Hide Away --- 8/10
06. Don't Call Me Up --- 0/10
07. Goddess in the Doorway --- 1/10
08. Lucky Day --- 8/10
09. Everybody Getting High --- 0/10
10. Gun --- 0/10
11. Too Far Gone --- 0/10
12. Brand New Set of Rules --- 0/10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-22 16:23 by HMS.

Date: March 22, 2017 16:26

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

Perhaps, but good pop songs aren't necessarily good songs. Visions of P is decent but I could do without the other 2.

Visions of Paradise
God Gave Me Everything
Everybody Getting High
Gun
Brand New Set of Rules

Hehe, I'm having problems with those four other songs smiling smiley

God Gave Me Everything was way better live, though.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 22, 2017 17:42

LeonidP
Nah, I agree completely with Keith's "dogshit in the doorway" assessment.

thumbs up never truer words spoken.

I stay out of Mick solo threads because i can't help but feel negative about Micks solo ventures, so my lips are sealed but Keith definitely summed it up beautifully with the "dogshit in the doorway" comment.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2017 17:50

Can't think of any diamonds in the rough throughout Mick's entire solo catalogue.
Perhaps there's tiny glimmers of hope, but even they fall short of the mark.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: March 22, 2017 18:28

HMS
At the end of the day everyone will have posted his favorite GITD-tracks and every single song of the album will be mentioned... what do we learn from that - GITD is a great albumsmiling bouncing smiley

...No, it isn´t of course. Using the words of the honorable GLS, it´s a steaming pile of polished turd.cool smiley

02. Joy --- 0/10
05. Hide Away --- 8/10
08. Lucky Day --- 8/10
10. Gun --- 0/10

You are like all these people in 1972 who say that Exile was their worst album since their beginning , this solo work from MJ is not Stones music but some of these songs are really nice.
Mick Jagger is a great singer and composer too and his solo work is better than most of the whole sh..ty music we ear most of days
grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-22 19:21 by 5strings.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 22, 2017 18:34

I like "Just Another Night" but the rest of SHE'S THE BOSS is a waste to me. I genuinely like PRIMITIVE COOL apart from "Let's Work." I love WANDERING SPIRIT. As for GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY...I really like "Hide Away" and "Too Far Gone," but the rest does nothing for me. Filler tracks like "Dancing in the Starlight" almost seem like highlights. I liked two of the four songs for ALFIE. I think "Charmed Life" is worse than "Let's Work" and consider SUPERHEAVY a career low.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 22, 2017 18:36

I think all of Mick's solo albums just went to prove that Keith was and is the sound of the Stones.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 22, 2017 20:44

rocks pretty good this one.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 22, 2017 20:47

When TALK IS CHEAP was released, either Musician or Rolling Stone's review stated something to the effect that Mick and Keith's solo albums showcase what the other brings to the band. Largely, I agree with that assessment.

Date: March 22, 2017 21:00

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

Visions of Paradise
God Gave Me Everything
Everybody Getting High
Gun
Brand New Set of Rules

Hehe, I'm having problems with those four other songs smiling smiley

God Gave Me Everything was way better live, though.

Well I was going with what I deem 'respectable', not saying I'm too happy w/ Gun and Brand New, but I will allow their inclusion just to fill out an EP. But Everybody Getting High is pretty kick-ass! Live too, if I recall, I have to dig that out.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: March 23, 2017 02:47

Don't Tear Me Up is a very good song, likely his best.

Date: March 23, 2017 08:25

He has a tendency to over produce his songs. And all that ties in with his setlist choices, his stage moves at age 70: that he ultimately under estimates his own audience; that he does not understand us anymore.
I have always equated overproduction, to drive a point home too hard, with someone not valuing the other's intelligence.
I still think GITD is a good album. I try to think backwards with his songs: to hear them in the raw. Solo he has a harder time with uptempo numbers. Stuff like "Getting High", Put me in Trash", "Wired All Night" are pretty lame; like Rod's "Hot Legs". But ballads and mid tempo stuff mostly very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-23 22:18 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 23, 2017 17:19

HMS

02. Joy --- 0/10
05. Hide Away --- 8/10
08. Lucky Day --- 8/10
10. Gun --- 0/10

You got some point here, although I think that Goddess In The Doorway is a mixed bag. I like Joy, God gave Me Everything, Goddess in The Doorway, Lucky Day, Everybody Getting High and Gun. All the other numbers sound awful to me. In particular, Visions Of paradise must be one of the worst openers ever. On the other hand, I would have liked to have "Goddess in The Doorway" (the song) worked up in a Stones' setting. I think it might have turned out surprisingly good.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: March 24, 2017 04:44

Other miscelleanous featurings (background vocals)

"Heart of Stone"

Off the maxi single "Rock n Roll is Alive in NYC" 1979 / Neon Leon Band /Big Deal Records.
I invited Mick to the Studio in NYC. I was Leon's manager back then. Mick also sang on tracks "The Last Time" & "Dimples" both which have not yet been released.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 24, 2017 05:01

VideoJames
Other miscelleanous featurings (background vocals)

"Heart of Stone"

Off the maxi single "Rock n Roll is Alive in NYC" 1979 / Neon Leon Band /Big Deal Records.
I invited Mick to the Studio in NYC. I was Leon's manager back then. Mick also sang on tracks "The Last Time" & "Dimples" both which have not yet been released.

Updated. Thanks!

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2017 05:59

Palace Revolution 2000
He has a tendency to over produce his songs. And all that ties in with his setlist choices, his stage moves at age 70: that he ultimately under estimates his own audience; that he does not understand us anymore.
I have always equated overproduction, to drive a point home too hard, with someone not valuing the other's intelligence.
I still think GITD is a good album. I try to think backwards with his songs: to hear them in the raw. Solo he has a harder time with uptempo numbers. Stuff like "Getting High", Put me in Trash", "Wired All Night" are pretty lame; like Rod's "Hot Legs". But ballads and mid tempo stuff mostly very good.

gotta humbly disagree wit dat.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home