Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Can We Ever Forgive The SFTD Loop?
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 30, 2016 20:43

What...?eye popping smiley
The interlude between 2000 Lightyears and Sympathy is great, I always loved the way they melted those great songs together

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 1, 2016 09:49

At least at the Tokyo show Keith is playing some great funky rhythm during the verses
of Sympathy.
From 2005 on, he didn't even play anything else than his solo's and some (loud) licks during
the chorus.
Come to think of it, maybe the Tokyo version is one of the best versions of Sympathy
for the Devil of the last 30 years. I can dance to that! Hell, I can't even NOT dance.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 1, 2016 10:05

marcovandereijk
At least at the Tokyo show Keith is playing some great funky rhythm during the verses
of Sympathy.
From 2005 on, he didn't even play anything else than his solo's and some (loud) licks during
the chorus.
Come to think of it, maybe the Tokyo version is one of the best versions of Sympathy
for the Devil of the last 30 years. I can dance to that! Hell, I can't even NOT dance.

Yes - the Tokyo version is the best of the modern era. The guitars are on fire, which makes up for the mechanical feel of the loop. Over the years the guitars played less and the loop became more obvious.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: July 1, 2016 10:24

There are lots of great 1989/1990 of SFTD.

It's true that Keith and Ronnie gradually played less during the verses, and that Chuck took more space after 1990.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 1, 2016 11:29

Die Stern claimed that the whole 94/95 tour was on a loop!

Date: July 1, 2016 11:32

Stoneage
Die Stern claimed that the whole 94/95 tour was on a loop!

They claimed that Rock And A Hard Place was pure playback, which it wasn't, of course smiling smiley

The first drum roll might have been, though..

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: July 4, 2016 15:26

In 2005 in Ottawa (Canada) during the intro to SFTD Charlie had a momentary health scare and walked away from his drum kit...the song kept going and eventually Charlie returned and the song continued. I don't think many people noticed or realized what happened....or that the percussion continued without Charlie.

Date: July 4, 2016 16:02

Having just listened to the original studio version, why couldn't they have just at least recorded those intro drums for the loop instead of using the computerized-sounding one they did? At least then it would sound like the drums are being played by actual humans.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 4, 2016 16:05

From Ron Blanks review of the Ottawa show (Ottawa 2005 review):

Sympathy for the Devil featured some events that I'm not sure how to explain. Following the second chorus, Mick took a break where Keith would normally play the first solo. But just as soon as he started it, Keith left the stage behind Charlie. Then Charlie too also left! I had never seen that during the middle of a song before. Then Charlie first came back, and started tentatively to play again. Then he stopped. Just as we were beginning to look around at other fans, Keith returned. He looked like he was ready to play then, so the group of Ronnie, Keith and Darryl stood around in front of Charlie and played a long solo break before Mick finally stepped in and did the final verse. We will have to wait for an explanation of what occurred.

Dave da Souza wrote:
Sympathy For The Devil - lots of problems. usually one of my faves live but it started weak. after a long pause between the last song and this one, the drum machine faded in. mick wasn't ready and made his way to the top of the stage. keef's guitar was way too loud. he left the stage twice and came back with a new guitar each time. the worst part was charlie stopped 3 times and even left the stage once. I think the click track on the drum machine must have been @#$%& because blondie walked up to charlie and tried to keep him in time with his tamborine. too bad. if anything good came out of this, at one point it sounded like a jam session only with bongos, piano, some of ronnie's guitar and mick singing

Brad Dale:
Sympathy For The Devil - Good, but, I don't know if something was wrong with this one. It sounded like Charlie's drums kept cutting out. At one point, he got up from the kit and went backstage for 20 seconds or so. It almost seemed like the band got lost in this one. Then, the song turned into the samba like the album version. Keith was backstage, then out, then backstage again. Ronnie was standing in front of the drum kit kind of shaking his head and laughing. It was like the guitars and drums were on a channel that kept cutting out. But Mick, being the showman that he is, kept the crowd pumped on this. The screen zooms in on a well endowed blonde in the crowd, and she makes the most of her 4 seconds of fame. This was my first show of the tour, so I don't know if anyone has any input on the arrangement from other shows.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 4, 2016 16:05

The loop doesn't bother me, it's the rest of the song. Been dreadful for so many years now. I just happened to listen to the LA Friday version again this morning actually and it struck me it's been downhill ever since for that song with the ABB tour hitting an all time low. There has been a moderate improvement since 2012.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 4, 2016 17:13

mtaylor
slewan
HMS
The african drums are an essential part of the song, so I forgive them not to have 15 drummers travelling with them only for playing a few minutes... as long as everything else is live it doesnt bother me.

if they can hire a choir for a few minutes for You Can't Always Get… they should be able to hire some conga players for SFTD!

Ollie Brown, like in 1975/1976 - SFTD is much better from the GYYYO / LYL

Ollie has a gig, thank you.

Date: July 4, 2016 17:30

It's not the loop, nor the arrangement per se, that bothers me. It's Mick's singing. It's flat without passion on this particular number these days, imo.

With the aggression and right amoung of arrogance back, the song is great.

SFTD has become a «break» for Mick and a «say hello to the audience»-number for Keith..

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 4, 2016 18:12

In Glastonbury was pretty good, IMO

Date: July 4, 2016 20:38

Wild Slivovitz
In Glastonbury was pretty good, IMO

Hyde Park Live is a decent version, too. I just wish the guitars would play more throughout the song like they did in 1989-90.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 5, 2016 17:41

marcovandereijk
From Ron Blanks review of the Ottawa show (Ottawa 2005 review):

Sympathy for the Devil featured some events that I'm not sure how to explain. Following the second chorus, Mick took a break where Keith would normally play the first solo. But just as soon as he started it, Keith left the stage behind Charlie. Then Charlie too also left! I had never seen that during the middle of a song before. Then Charlie first came back, and started tentatively to play again. Then he stopped. Just as we were beginning to look around at other fans, Keith returned. He looked like he was ready to play then, so the group of Ronnie, Keith and Darryl stood around in front of Charlie and played a long solo break before Mick finally stepped in and did the final verse. We will have to wait for an explanation of what occurred.

Dave da Souza wrote:
Sympathy For The Devil - lots of problems. usually one of my faves live but it started weak. after a long pause between the last song and this one, the drum machine faded in. mick wasn't ready and made his way to the top of the stage. keef's guitar was way too loud. he left the stage twice and came back with a new guitar each time. the worst part was charlie stopped 3 times and even left the stage once. I think the click track on the drum machine must have been @#$%& because blondie walked up to charlie and tried to keep him in time with his tamborine. too bad. if anything good came out of this, at one point it sounded like a jam session only with bongos, piano, some of ronnie's guitar and mick singing

Brad Dale:
Sympathy For The Devil - Good, but, I don't know if something was wrong with this one. It sounded like Charlie's drums kept cutting out. At one point, he got up from the kit and went backstage for 20 seconds or so. It almost seemed like the band got lost in this one. Then, the song turned into the samba like the album version. Keith was backstage, then out, then backstage again. Ronnie was standing in front of the drum kit kind of shaking his head and laughing. It was like the guitars and drums were on a channel that kept cutting out. But Mick, being the showman that he is, kept the crowd pumped on this. The screen zooms in on a well endowed blonde in the crowd, and she makes the most of her 4 seconds of fame. This was my first show of the tour, so I don't know if anyone has any input on the arrangement from other shows.

Can't seem to find any videos. There were, I think, a few years back. How bizarre.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 5, 2016 17:42

DandelionPowderman
It's not the loop, nor the arrangement per se, that bothers me. It's Mick's singing. It's flat without passion on this particular number these days, imo.

SFTD has become a «break» for Mick and a «say hello to the audience»-number for Keith..

It's the most modern Stones-by-numbers on cruise control song there is. Since 1989!

Date: July 5, 2016 18:37

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

It's the most modern Stones-by-numbers on cruise control song there is. Since 1989!

That's Miss You.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 5, 2016 19:41

The explanation I heard at the time for Charlie going missing at Ottawa was that he couldn't hear the loop.
The techies were looking the other way so he went to tell them. And then Keith followed,
probably to show someone the blade.

I personally believe Keith's ummm nonchalant attitude toward this number is his form of protest
against the way it's now arranged, including the loop. The forgiving of which (or not) is not our prerogative,
but for what it's worth: You're all forgiven :E

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 5, 2016 22:20

Long John Stoner
Ollie has a gig, thank you.

LOL at the comment under the article grinning smiley

Date: July 6, 2016 05:26

DandelionPowderman
The synth "harp" on Miss You and I Just Wanna Make Love To You was much worse, imo.

The twinkly piano on 'Honky Tonk Woman' is up (or down) there, too...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 6, 2016 05:30

The loop is totally unnecessary! Why do they feel the need to create a carbon copy of the song with this useless loop. It cheapens the song.

Date: July 6, 2016 11:37

Was a variety of samples used for that "ringing" bit when they played Rain Fall Down in concert?
Some friends studied every clip available and couldn't work out who was playing that.

Date: July 6, 2016 11:42

with sssoul
Was a variety of samples used for that "ringing" bit when they played Rain Fall Down in concert?
Some friends studied every clip available and couldn't work out who was playing that.

The «ringing» was played by Mick, using some kind of effect pedal. If you mean the leading riff, that is.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 6, 2016 11:51

DandelionPowderman
The «ringing» was played by Mick, using some kind of effect pedal. If you mean the leading riff, that is.

[www.youtube.com]

Mick's playing chords, though, and the "ringing" is more a single-string effect.
Later in that clip it looks like Ronnie and/or Keith are playing something that might be that,
but in other clips not, and/or the guitarists all keep turning their backs. It's a mystery.

Date: July 6, 2016 11:58

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Mick's playing chords, though, and the "ringing" is more a single-string effect.
Later in that clip it looks like Ronnie and/or Keith are playing something that might be that,
but in other clips not, and/or the guitarists all keep turning their backs. It's a mystery.

No, he plays a riff in A minor, with extra pressure on the B and E-strings (especially the latter), hence the sound of it smiling smiley

Keith is backing up that riff (when he feels like it), although he wasn't too lucky doing that in the clip I posted...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-06 11:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 6, 2016 11:59

Okey dokey! Thanks Dande dear xox

Date: July 6, 2016 12:03

with sssoul
Okey dokey! Thanks Dande dear xox

Look at his pinky. That's where the main sound is coming from + his right hand..

Date: July 6, 2016 12:52

Ronnie's backing it up too, isn't he. It's a group effort.

I love the Rolling Stones.

Date: July 6, 2016 13:15

with sssoul

He probably watches Keith closely, and comes to the rescue when Keith slips a fret or two off grinning smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 6, 2016 13:30

DandelionPowderman
with sssoul

He probably watches Keith closely, and comes to the rescue when Keith slips a fret or two off grinning smiley

What's a couple of frets between mates ?

Keith's never been one to worry too much about that.

To paraphrase the great Eric Morecombe , Keith doesn't play "wrong" notes...just the right notes in the wrong order [or in the wrong song ]winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home